• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Symphonic Legends Orchestral Nintendo Concert LIVE STREAM | September 23

God damn some of this is amazing... thank you so much to all of the uploaders!

I was a bit let down that they didn't break into The Great Sea during the encore while doing the Wind Waker credits theme... instead they butchered it with a horrible transition into Metroid music. Bitterly disappointed, especially as they included so much unremarkable OoT material in the earlier Zelda composition. But other than that the encore was beautiful.

The retro Mario compilation gave me goosebumps!

KajunW

KajunW said:
Uploaded some youtube videos....

Super Mario Galaxy

Donkey Kong Country

Couldn't get better quality, sorry, because it went through a proxy. The rest will follow, but I don't have all vids (from Metroid on it is complete). Plus, it might take a while to upload all, because I can't seem to index the recorded stream properly (argh).

Some more:

F-Zero
Metroid
Pikmin
Legend of Zelda Suite 1/5
Legend of Zelda Suite 2/5
Legend of Zelda Suite 3/5
Legend of Zelda Suite 4/5
Legend of Zelda Suite 5/5
Encore

Playlist

Missing the first three tracks.

Darktails

So, guys, I made you all an album. :D
My original upload of Aquatic Ambience was flawed, but the one included in here is pretty much perfect.
The first two tracks are from Metal B (thanks!) and the rest is from my original recording.
All tracks are tagged correctly and a provisional cover is included.

pWqOa.png

Here's the tracklist:

1 - Fanfare for the Common 8-bit Hero
2 - Star Fox - Space Suite Orchestral
3 - Super Mario Bros. - Retro Suite Orchestral
4 - F-Zero - Race Suite Orchestral
5 - Metroid - Samus Aran Galactic Warrior Suite Orchestral
6 - Donkey Kong Country - Aquatic Ambience Orchestral
7 - Pikmin - Variation on a World Map Theme Orchestral
8 - Super Mario Galaxy - Galactic Suite Orchestral
9 - The Legend of Zelda - Symphonic Poem Orchestral
10 - Bonuslevel Orchestral

Download it here:
MediaFire

Enjoy!

Jethro

I was there and it was some kind of meh. Galaxy and the encore was great.

But Ravi Drums killed F-Zero and where the hell were all the fantastic Metroid Themes?!

With F-Zero and metroid is like they werent even trying!

2:30, TWO FUCKING MINUTES AND A HALF of fucking DRUMS! What the fuck they were thinking. Hey, look at this excellent music, fire field or Mist Flow, to only name 2, but instead, we put 2:30 minutes of nonsense, and even when you hear Mute City and Big Blue, is just mixed with music I dont even recognise.

And wow, metroid, that must have been a fucking record. Its like the fucking composer didnt even like the music from the game and wanted to do his own piece. Hey look its Brins... no, it seems not. Hey look, Samus Theme, hey, whats with the weird sounding shitty trumpet, well at least it has chor.. wait, thats it?
RAGE!

At least things like SMG medley, and the encore, yet that one was too short, were definetly awesome and incredible.

The rest range from very good, to merely good, to fucking piece of shit that its not even from the games they are doing.

Its like, they really didnt want to do a Nintendo concert, but someone impossed them to do it.

The worst thing, I saw one or two messages here saying it "poops" all over video games live...
No sir, no it doesnt, at least VGL try to make good tributes from the games they are doing (maybe the symphonic legends are better in the quality of the musicians and the chorus, but as I say, it seems like they didnt really want to do a Nintendo music concert).

And again, thanks to the people uploading the music!

WillyFive

I thought it was greatly inferior to Symphonic Fantasies, even though the source material for this concert was better. It was very watered down.

Darktails said:

This is raising a red flag on my computer. Should I trust you?

Jethro said:
I was there and it was some kind of meh. Galaxy and the encore was great.

But Ravi Drums killed F-Zero and where the hell were all the fantastic Metroid Themes?!
Was it really him?

Im sure that guy wants to destroy with his fucking drums all the nintendo events his in :lol

Jethro

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Was it really him?

Im sure that guy wants to destroy with his fucking drums all the nintendo events his in :lol

No, it wasn't him. But when I saw that my initially thought was, oh shit it's Ravi Drums all over again.

I totally agree to your statement.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
2:30, TWO FUCKING MINUTES AND A HALF of fucking DRUMS! What the fuck they were thinking. Hey, look at this excellent music, fire field or Mist Flow, to only name 2, but instead, we put 2:30 minutes of nonsense, and even when you hear Mute City and Big Blue, is just mixed with music I dont even recognise.
Reminds me of the Final Boss Medley last year. More than two minutes of drums at the beginning of One Winged Angel.

At least the YouTube comments are funny.

EVERYONE CHILL THE FUCK OUT

DRUM SOLO

Jethro said:
No, it wasn't him. But when I saw that my initially thought was, oh shit it's Ravi Drums all over again.

I totally agree to your statement.

Yep, Im a little let down with the whole concert. I entered here when the SMG medley started, and it was so awesome I thought all of the first part was going to be as good. So, so wrong :(

BTW, off topic, but change were you uploaded your avatar, becuase it happened to mine the same, it seems tinypic is closing for international users, and is taking our images down.
Try this one http://imgur.com/

i liked it overall, but i was annoyed at all the dissonances and fade ins of melodies and channel over channel over channel of different themes.

Earl Cazone said:
i liked it overall, but i was annoyed at all the dissonances and fade ins of melodies and channel over channel over channel of different themes.

In the encore there like differnt themes of 3 sec tops form differnt games. I dont know who had the idea to do that but he failed miserably. The most recongnizable was the star fox main theme intro in the encore, but im sure theres lots more, but the problem iis, they are 2-3 seconds, so you dont even know what they are.
The same in the Zelda medley.
Hey, do you hear?, the a link to the past castle theme, FUCK YE... what! what the fuck was that? OH NOES KOKIRI HOGWARTS FOREST AGAIN!
I think what they really wanted to do is a tribute to John Williams or something, because is some songs they were not really Nintendo music.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Earl Cazone said:

I didn't mind, same thing was done with Chrono Trigger/Cross and was done in a good way. I'd rather have them mix it up a little bit than just do an orchestra version and leave it at that

SpacePirate Ridley said:
The worst thing, I saw one or two messages here saying it "poops" all over video games live...
No sir, no it doesnt, at least VGL try to make good tributes from the games they are doing (maybe the symphonic legends are better in the quality of the musicians and the chorus, but as I say, it seems like they didnt really want to do a Nintendo music concert).

And again, thanks to the people uploading the music!

From a musical arrangement perspective, Video Games Live doesn't hold a candle. Just comparing their arrangements of Chrono Cross/Trigger is enough proof of that, as I'd say the Chrono arrangement VGL does is the best they do, and likewise for last year's Chrono arrangement from these guys. But, it's different. VGL is a show, really, more than a concert, and it's as much about the whooping and yelling, the guitar hero competitions, cosplay, light show and game footage on the big screens as it is about the music. This was more of a black-tie orchestral event.

I think the difference is that VGL would struggle to challenge the (wrong) perception of many classical buffs that this music isn't 'pure' and 'real' enough, whereas the arrangements here definitely would. Both are great, though.

In general, this wasn't as good as Symphonic Fantasies (last year's Square Enix effort), but it was still pretty bloody fantastic.

WillyFive

Darktails said:
Weird. Is this issue coming up for anybody else? Did you do a virus scan? (I'm on a mac)

Checked it, it was clean.

But it certainly didn't want me to download it.

APZonerunner said:
From a musical arrangement perspective, Video Games Live doesn't hold a candle. Just comparing their arrangements of Chrono Cross/Trigger is enough proof of that, as I'd say the Chrono arrangement VGL does is the best they do, and likewise for last year's Chrono arrangement from these guys. But, it's different. VGL is a show, really, more than a concert, and it's as much about the whooping and yelling, the guitar hero competitions, cosplay, light show and game footage on the big screens as it is about the music. This was more of a black-tie orchestral event.

I think the difference is that VGL would struggle to challenge the (wrong) perception of many classical buffs that this music isn't 'pure' and 'real' enough, whereas the arrangements here definitely would. Both are great, though.

In general, this wasn't as good as Symphonic Fantasies (last year's Square Enix effort), but it was still pretty bloody fantastic.

VGL has a nice idea of mixing live music with video with light shows, but the music is sub par.

For example, their version of Legend of Zelda is just the Superman theme.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm sad I missed this, but it looks like I may be able to listen to some of it anyway. Thanks everyone! :)

*edit* Thanks for that complete album upload!

Dante23

Darktails said:
pWqOa.png

Download it here:
MediaFire

Enjoy!

Thank you! I really enjoyed it, fucking loved Zelda, Galaxy and DKC, way too beautiful, Pikmin, Star Fox and Mario were awesome, F-Zero was right, and I was sad with Metroid.

Anyway, thank you all for the recordings. Hopefully some video will be available.

Darktails said:
My original upload of Aquatic Ambience was flawed, but the one included in here is pretty much perfect.
The first two tracks are from Metal B (thanks!) and the rest is from my original recording.

pWqOa.png

Here's the tracklist:

1 - Fanfare for the Common 8-bit Hero
2 - Star Fox - Space Suite Orchestral
3 - Super Mario Bros. - Retro Suite Orchestral
4 - F-Zero - Race Suite Orchestral
5 - Metroid - Samus Aran Galactic Warrior Suite Orchestral
6 - Donkey Kong Country - Aquatic Ambience Orchestral
7 - Pikmin - Variation on a World Map Theme Orchestral
8 - Super Mario Galaxy - Galactic Suite Orchestral
9 - The Legend of Zelda - Symphonic Poem Orchestral
10 - Bonuslevel Orchestral

Download it here:
MediaFire

Enjoy!
Doesnt seam to start?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just wanted to pop in to give my thanks for these recordings. I missed the beginning and then had to have dinner during the whole Zelda part so I'm very grateful for these.

radioheadrule83 said:
God damn some of this is amazing... thank you so much to all of the uploaders!

I was a bit let down that they didn't break into The Great Sea during the encore while doing the Wind Waker credits theme... instead they butchered it with a horrible transition into Metroid music. Bitterly disappointed, especially as they included so much unremarkable OoT material in the earlier Zelda composition. But other than that the encore was beautiful.

The retro Mario compilation gave me goosebumps!

IIRC was only one original OOT song - Kokiri Forest.

The rest were TP or LTTP, with the obvious exception of the song of Medli's Prayer.

Princess Skittles said:
Are any of the links posted mp3 only?

The recent one from this last page has some in mp3 and some in m4a, which my work computer can't play.
Your best bet would be to convert them to mp3.

Did someone record the audio by grabbing the download data directly from the web radio broadcast with something like GetASFStream (so no recording with an audio software)?

..pakbeka.. said:
has anyone uploaded the two FFVI songs that played during the intermission?
I've got everything from start to finish, recorded from WDR4's digital radio channel (higher quality than the Internet stream). But I need the direct stream from the web radio (starting from the Metroid suite would suffice, there were no problems before) to patch a few passages up where the broadcast was faulty.

Gomu Gomu

Darktails said:

pWqOa.png

Enjoy!

Thanks a lot. This was super awesome when I was on traveling the road the other day.
Good stuff.

Thoraxes

Hamauzu's DKC arrangement made me feel feelings deep down inside that I never thought i'd be able to feel.

Words can't even express the warmth and incredible-ness that I felt and still feel listening to it. Almost cried I did.

He truly is one of my favorite composers and arrangers of all time.:D
Simply amazing.

EDIT: I hate whoever coughed during Aquatic Ambience.

Thoraxes said:
EDIT: I hate whoever coughed during Aquatic Ambience.
Nothing compared to the legendary door slam amidst Michiru Yamane's live performance of "Wood Carving Partita" in 2006. I can't listen to that recording without imagining the door slamming every time a note on the piano is played. :lol

Got it now! :3

In the past years, I always recorded WDR4's digital radio broadcasts of the German game music concerts. This year, a comparison has shown that the web radio broadcast was actually superior to the WDR4 digital radio broadcast. The reason for that are the different audio sources: The digital radio broadcast a 5.1 version this year, meaning that the noise from the six individual channels adds up to a very unpleasant hiss throughout the recording if converted to stereo audio.

On the other hand, the WDR4 web radio had a separate "pure" two-channel version of the concert: No superimposed noise here, which results in a better sound altogether (it sounds far more "full" and balanced). The only downer here: The web radio was broadcast with a bitrate of 128 kbps and a frequency of 44 kHz, meaning that it's a little more compressed than the digital radio broadcast with its 192 kbps and 48 kHz. However, user Whiz-zarD has downloaded the data broadcast on the web radio stream directly, and kindly provided it to me. I then split that file up losslessly into individual tracks with mpTrim. So...yeah, thank Whiz-zarD for providing this "clean", non-recompressed version of the concert. The only thing we need now is a true 5.1 recording.

Release dates:
29 September, 2010: MP3

Download (MP3):
MEGAUPLOAD

ultron87

Thanks!

I can't get over how amazing the section of the encore where they transition the Wind Waker theme into the Metroid Prime 3 theme is. I could listen to it forever.

Top Bottom