• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata: "Fans playing FF15 w/o watching the movie might miss crucial story details"

I haven't played the game myself and I don't really plan to so I don't really have a horse in this race, but he said that about

"fans who only see one part"

which is not at all the same as

"Fans playing FF15 w/o watching the movie"

so it's preeeeeeety misleading to put that in quotes in your title...
It means the same thing even though it's true Tabata never said that quote

NoKisum

They were trying to do the thing that Halo does where you're forced to consume every bit of non-game ancillary media to understand what is going on. The mistake they made was thinking anyone cared that much about FFXV's story.

To play devil's advocate, it worked like gangbusters for Kingdom Hearts, so I can see why they felt it would work here.

To play devil's advocate, it worked like gangbusters for Kingdom Hearts, so I can see why they felt it would work here.
I don't think it worked for KH.
KH worked inspite of it

Though SE has made a ton from selling collections and remakes over and over again

Gbraga

The difference is that Kingdom Hearts first captured us with the games before asking us to consume a billion spinoffs to follow the story. If the spinoffs all came out along with KH I, I'm not sure as many people would give a shit.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Should've included the movie as a download code for those who bought the game then.

While the story isn't great with or without the movie.

The movie isn't really necessary to enjoy the game since you mainly experience the game through Noctis his eyes and see and hear about things as he does, no matter how stupid it may be.

The only real important info from the movie is what Luna is doing

The other things like the invasion and
Regis death
you learn in the game through a stupid newspaper.

The entire FFXV universe feels so disjointed. Kingsglaive didn't even bring up
the Hexathon, and instead made it seem like the Lucii were the bigwigs
then the game comes along and barely mentions them, focusing almost entirely on
The Hexathon.
Brotherhood was mostly alright, though I have major issues with how Prompto was dealt knowing what I know from the game.

Everything flows together as smoothly as the game does: Horribly.

Edit: And where was Cor!? The game implies he was fighting Niflheim in Insomnia, the movie doesn't acknowledge his existence.

Pachinko

I watched Kingsglaive and FFXV's sorry is still the worst in the entire series by a wide berth. I had fun with the game in spite of it. Also shitty because the characters deserved better , the world did too. Next time they have a half baked idea stuck in planning hell , jut cancel it and start from scratch.

Bulby

The Movie and Game are so disjointed from each other, its almost like both teams were shown the characters and art and then wrote stories in Isolation from each other.

Whompa02

Just patch the movie in wth cutscenes and shit like a normal game.

Trans media releases make me want to die.

FFXV universe is a failure, they should axe it and call back Matsuno.

I think I'm okay without Vaan in my life ever again tbh lol...

Ydelnae

I haven't played the game myself and I don't really plan to so I don't really have a horse in this race, but he said that about

"fans who only see one part"

which is not at all the same as

"Fans playing FF15 w/o watching the movie"

so it's preeeeeeety misleading to put that in quotes in your title...

The FFXV Universe is structured in one core tale, FFXV (the main part of the story) and multiple complementary stories (the extra parts that are referenced if you read the interview). Read Tabata's statement: "If you watch Kingsglaive or Brotherhood, I think you'll get a better view of the world where the game is set. A grander scale, a more fully realized story. That said, some fans who only see one part might be left with a negative impression, or like they've missed crucial parts of the tale."

Kingsglaive is one of the parts of the tale, Tabata himself identifies it as one. He says that if fans only see one part of the tale (as in, if you only watch Kingsglaive, because it's a movie and if we're doing semantics, you watch movies, you don't simply see them) they might feel like they've miss crucial parts of the tale. A tale is a story. The tale he is alluding to is the one told across the game and the multiple complementary products. If you only see one part of the story (the game), you might miss crucial parts of the story which are introduced in the movie. Thus, if you play the game without seeing the movie first, which features crucial parts of the tale, you might be missing parts of the story.

I don't know if you have kept up with Final Fantasy XV's PR cycle these years (probably not, since you say you don't have any plans in playing the game) but since the movie was announced the narrative in every interview and statement regarding the movie was that it was not necessary to understand the game and that FFXV would release with a coherent story that would not neet for any other piece to be understood, ensuring that fans would be satisfied with the main game. When the movie was released and the fans debated about its importance for the soon to be released FFXV, they were forced to backtrack on that and please ask fans to watch the movie before playing the game. And on release day, the game was patched to include scenes from the movie because the first feedback was that the events of the game were not clear and players were missing crucial parts of the story, which was one of the main complaints from people who played the game. Switching narratives between PR cycles is not a new thing for FFXV, we have already experienced it on wether the game is trying to please fans for the Versus XIII canceled project or how the story was supposed to be cohesive and then it was seemingly uncohesive and unfocused on purpose. The thread title could have been "FFXV director semantically backtracks again on movie's importance to overall plot" (which still doesn't fit on 85 characters!) and then be agenda-based, but it still would not be misleading. The press cycle for this game has been playing with semantics for a long time and anyone who has payed attention to it can agree that the narrative pre-release is pretty different to the one post-release, which is what this thread is trying to headlight by contrasting what he says on August 26th to his past statements regarding the same subject, as finally clarifying the movie & anime's importance one year after their release would not be of interest for people that have already bought and played the game one year ago.

I honestly don't see what is so "preeeeeeety" misleading about the thread title. He didn't say the exact quote featured in the thread title because the interview didn't give him an 85 character limit for his response. I believe the thread title is representative of the information shared in the main post and it is not supposed to mislead anyone into thinking that he made a false statement, since if you read the information featured in the main post, you will find that he meant exactly the same.

i don't think i have ever seen a director contradicting his statements about his game as much as Tabata.
Since the start this guy was full of shit

Toth

I do like that FF fans continue to pressure Tabata to fix the story. This is a mainline title after all and what he did for Type-O should not fly.

Risev1

Just patch the movie in wth cutscenes and shit like a normal game.

Trans media releases make me want to die.

I think I'm okay without Vaan in my life ever again tbh lol...

I finally played through FF12 when the Zodiac Age remastered version came out, and I honestly don't get the hate for Vaan. The game receives valid criticism in that the main protagonist isn't the center of the story, but Vaan himself was fine. His story literally concludes in the first half of the game. After that, he just tags along for the ride and never once acts in an annoying way. Heck, the majority of the story cutscenes in the second half of the game don't even feature Vaan in them besides having him and Penelo doing things in the background unrelated to everything else. So, I get criticizing FF12 for having him be the protagonist at the beginning, but there's really nothing about Vaan that makes him receive that much hate as a character (besides his design which is far from the worst in the main party).

The entire FFXV universe feels so disjointed. Kingsglaive didn't even bring up
the Hexathon, and instead made it seem like the Lucii were the bigwigs
then the game comes along and barely mentions them, focusing almost entirely on
The Hexathon.
Brotherhood was mostly alright, though I have major issues with how Prompto was dealt knowing what I know from the game.

Everything flows together as smoothly as the game does: Horribly.

Edit: And where was Cor!? The game implies he was fighting Niflheim in Insomnia, the movie doesn't acknowledge his existence.

It's almost like all of these things were suffering major rewrites and things that were initially meant to be one thing were mashed and stretched into something else. Probably a strong result of changing the project from one thing into another, the game has so many unfortunate scars from the hatchet the SE bigwigs took to it.

theofficefan99

The movie is absolutely crucial for proper context, but in the end, it just makes the horrid writing all the more apparent. There's no consistency between it and the game.

Also, 3rd time isn't the charm. No more FF movies please. Or cross-media shit.

Again, FFVII didn't garner a reputation/popularity of 15 million+ views on Youtube by the dev team already planning to milk it before its release. It released as a full product with a vision. Got incredible word-of-mouth. And now here we are with its legendary reputation.

SE has only been thinking short-term. I'm pretty sure the vast vast majority of all the sales for this game have been front-loaded and not too many people bought the DLC (I'm talking out of my ass here though so don't quote me on this).

Azuran

Banned
And some people on this site have the gall to say Tabata is better than Nomura.

This hack should never be allowed to make another video game in his life.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Kind of a dickish thing to say. If you watch the movie first it ruins the first couple of hours of the game, but if you wait too long they give you some weird cg cuts of the movie without much context (which implies that you already saw it)

It was a very ambitious terribly implemented idea, they fucked up in that respect.

Ferr986

The movie is terrible, it's not just about the story, the editing is amateur-ish as fuck. It's like the first movie from a new studio. I like the game enough but the movie was a mistake, they should have put some of that shit on to the game (basically the invasion scenes, all the Luna doing useless shit should have been skipped).

And some people on this site have the gall to say Tabata is better than Nomura.

This hack should never be allowed to make another video game in his life.

Story wise both are fucking terrible. KH is the biggest mess ever in that regard. Nomura keeps digging that shit hole deeper with a new entry, while Tabata reach pretty deep into that hole with just one entry.

Also, I don't know how credible are those Versus spoilers, but if they're true then it was going to be as shit as what we got, even if it was a more developed turd.

kaydigi

Patch the movie into the game.

5c8ef565e702858ce3a59b4d5deee585.jpg

My real reaction... I was on a lunch break

Zolo

I've noticed a similar problem in some western RPGs like Mankind Divided basically throwing you into a setting without doing too much to introduce you.

I've noticed a similar problem in some western RPGs like Mankind Divided basically throwing you into a setting without doing too much to introduce you.

Mankind Divided is a sequel (and actually a middle installment within a larger franchise) and sort of expects you to be familiar with the setting.

I finally played through FF12 when the Zodiac Age remastered version came out, and I honestly don't get the hate for Vaan. The game receives valid criticism in that the main protagonist isn't the center of the story, but Vaan himself was fine. His story literally concludes in the first half of the game. After that, he just tags along for the ride and never once acts in an annoying way. Heck, the majority of the story cutscenes in the second half of the game don't even feature Vaan in them besides having him and Penelo doing things in the background unrelated to everything else. So, I get criticizing FF12 for having him be the protagonist at the beginning, but there's really nothing about Vaan that makes him receive that much hate as a character (besides his design which is far from the worst in the main party).
I have always felt that way. I'm replaying it in the Zodiac Age and he even says himself at one point he's along for the ride lol. I actually liked the perspective being more about the group rather than any one individual actually, it's still kind of refreshing now.

Top Bottom