• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata: "Fans playing FF15 w/o watching the movie might miss crucial story details"

Ydelnae

The only thing I took away from the movie was that Nyx looked a lot like Tom Hardy.

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This has been obvious since before the game came out Tabata...you really need to stop talking

ratsuki

"We planned the main game to have more story meats, but things happened and.. Uh,,,, yeah, now you better watch the movie."
On top of that the movie itself didn't have good narrative.

I'm usually a XV supporter here, but yeah, this one is their mistake and they better own it.

A non story imo. I totally disagree with the sentiment that the movie is required viewing for the game and if anything im sure this is just PR to sell the Anime and movie. I'm sure they lost money on the latter.

Idk man, Japan seems to like it a lot, with additional showings and all. When the blu-ray released it charted in top ten too. Most likely it break-even at the least, which still counted as good since from beginning this movie was designed as a form of marketing for XV that pay for itself.

I watch Brotherhood and Kingslaive. It did not help the story in FFXV. In fact, a bunch of details were missing on characters and events in the game itself. The story telling was really lackluster.

I would have preferred a playable Nyx in the game instead of watching the movie.

I hope this man never gets to helm another main final fantasy again. Stop the excuses story sucked, just admit it , with movie or not story was told in a shit way in the game.
He has clearly admitted it multiple times? This thread is more about an interview where he was talking about the movie. Not about the story in the game.

https://twitter.com/sayuyuv/status/901168454237028352
Tabata-san said he knows that people found the story to be lacking and he'll try his best to improve these parts

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Apparently fans playing FF15 might miss story details because you didn't put things they needed to know in the game.

Not that watching Kingsglaive makes any kind of sense.

Godzilla esports battle shadow duel resolves... Something?

Then you're where the game starts. With completely different characters. IMPORTANT INFO.

ZenTzen

Maybe the game shouldnt have had huge amounts of content cut, and remade into something slightly different, like the escape from insomnia or even the bros backstory, etc.

kennyamr

Geez Square, let it die already. They keep pushing FFXV super hard and in my opinion it doesn't deserve any of the attention. Still the worst of the main series for me, nothing will make me feel better about it. Also, after Type-0 and FFXV, Tabata should retire as director.

RaijinFY

Awful game, awful... and i thought they couldnt do any worse than XIII. The whole project should have been canned when they switched from PS3 to PS4.

Canucked

The movie is god awful. My partner left the room after twenty minutes. Getting him to like game movies is already and uphill battle.

The decision to cut out key plot points and sell them as a separate feature film is one of those insane decisions that FFXV really should have been more widely critized for. It's unforgivable.

jimmypython

He has clearly admitted it multiple times? This thread is more about an interview where he was talking about the movie. Not about the story in the game.

https://twitter.com/sayuyuv/status/901168454237028352

So basically he is saying he didn't realize the story sucked until players said so. Along with all the "we will do this basing on the feedback from the fans", he really is asking players to teach him how to make the game.

TheCed

The decision to cut out key plot points and sell them as a separate feature film is one of those insane decisions that FFXV really should have been more widely critized for. It's unforgivable.

I fully agree with you. Saddly, it didn't happen and they made lotsa money.

So I'm not optimistic about the future games like KH3 and FF7r.

daveo42

Banned
I mean, the movie covers everything that should have been covered and originally was going to be covered in the game but got cut thanks to SE needing to actually release the game. So, you get the movie that covers the invasion and king's death followed by the news paper article to the player to watch the movie about the death of the king and the invasion of Insomnia.

Still disappointed we never got Nomura's original vision for the game. At least FFXV came out and knew it would be a disjointed mess?

Top Bottom