• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata: "Fans playing FF15 w/o watching the movie might miss crucial story details"

Squire

Banned
I finally played through FF12 when the Zodiac Age remastered version came out, and I honestly don't get the hate for Vaan. The game receives valid criticism in that the main protagonist isn't the center of the story, but Vaan himself was fine. His story literally concludes in the first half of the game. After that, he just tags along for the ride and never once acts in an annoying way. Heck, the majority of the story cutscenes in the second half of the game don't even feature Vaan in them besides having him and Penelo doing things in the background unrelated to everything else. So, I get criticizing FF12 for having him be the protagonist at the beginning, but there's really nothing about Vaan that makes him receive that much hate as a character (besides his design which is far from the worst in the main party).

Honestly, XII has the kind of story people tried to argue XV does at launch. It's straightforward and concise.

And some people on this site have the gall to say Tabata is better than Nomura.

This hack should never be allowed to make another video game in his life.

He's 3/3 on terrible games. 3rd Birthday, Type-0 and XV.

yunbuns

And some people on this site have the gall to say Tabata is better than Nomura.

This hack should never be allowed to make another video game in his life.

Honestly they're both terrible but we all got our biases.

Hmm, the people who defend FFXV the most are mysteriously absent from these threads, I wonder why that is...

It's been almost a year since this game has come out. This whole back and forth is kind of tiring and petty at this point from both sides.

Arkeband

Banned

I don't think Type-0 is terrible - it's a mobile spinoff. If it were a mainline title, yes, it'd be an enormous disappointment, but it's not. If I Am Setsuna was FFXV, we'd be scratching our heads, but it's not. There has to be different expectations for different platforms and different projects. It may actually be Tabata's best designed game, as unfortunate as that sounds. Its peers in the FF spinoff space include titles such as Dirge of Cerberus, so that's about where expectations should begin.

hzsn724

I watched the movie before playing it and still had no idea what was going on.

The film at least explains who Luna and Regis are. But I still never really understood who Noctis's pals were. Beat the game and was left with questions and frustration. Really wanted to experience
the world of ruin

Story wise both are fucking terrible. KH is the biggest mess ever in that regard. Nomura keeps digging that shit hole deeper with a new entry, while Tabata reach pretty deep into that hole with just one entry.

Also, I don't know how credible are those Versus spoilers, but if they're true then it was going to be as shit as what we got, even if it was a more developed turd.

Nah, they're two completely different issues. FFXV is an incoherent mess because Tabata can't tell a story to save his life, as he's proven with every game he's directed. Whereas KH is a convoluted mess, because Nomura took the decent, simple story from KH1 and then continued to add more and more crap on top of that. Of the two, I'd take KH any day of the week though.

Squire

Banned
I don't think Type-0 is terrible - it's a mobile spinoff. If it were a mainline title, yes, it'd be an enormous disappointment, but it's not. If I Am Setsuna was FFXV, we'd be scratching our heads, but it's not. There has to be different expectations for different platforms and different projects. It may actually be Tabata's best designed game, as unfortunate as that sounds. Its peers in the FF spinoff space include titles such as Dirge of Cerberus, so that's about where expectations should begin.

I don't mean to blow your mind or anything, but there are great games on mobile. Type-0's platform doesn't absolve Tabata of it's low quality as a game in general.

I mean, if they subscribed to your thinking themselves, they wouldn't have put it on consoles and Steam.

Gbraga

Hmm, the people who defend FFXV the most are mysteriously absent from these threads, I wonder why that is...

I'm here. :p

Hmm? They are here. The story mis-directions are something all fans of FFXV can agree with.

Yeah, pretty much.

Didn't play 3rd Birthday or Type-0 yet, but I really like Crisis Core.

It's really telling though that every single game he's directed has been a "make something out of this thing Nomura and Nojima came up with" situation. I really hope his next game is something his team is more passionate about.

night814

I had a friend whom I was talking about FFXV with while I was playing it, who insisted that if I watched the movie I would like the game more. My only response was that if it was important to the games story why weren't at least parts of these things included in the main game.

If it's essential to the story it should be in the main game.

Arkeband

Banned
I don't mean to blow your mind or anything, but there are great games on mobile. Type-0's platform doesn't absolve Tabata of it's low quality as a game in general.

I mean, if they subscribed to your thinking themselves, they wouldn't have put it on consoles and Steam.

They put Mobius on Steam, so they've ported worse.

I would rephrase as..
"People not reading faqs or similar will miss small details as our storytelling went apeshit and forgot to bring in the game something we said we would.."
E.g prompts father identity information remains only in the form of the official guidebook....

Nevertheless..
I hope that SE next big project that isn't a remake doesn't get soooooo much butchered from the original reveals..
Thea Lunt of stuff that was scrapped in ffxv was staggering..

Before they come out: "No it's fine you don't have to watch it but you can!"

After it comes out and everyone agrees the game's storytelling is awful: "Should've watched the movie bro"

I see you Tabata

The story fell apart in the second half. There was so much cool potential with the world of ruin. Also you shouldn't have to watch a movie separate from the game to know what's going on SE.

BadWolf

Watched the movie and anime before playing the game and it felt great starting the game already knowing about the world, story and characters. Felt fresh not having to start from zero when beginning a game.

Loved all three of them.

Opa-Pa

I remember asking my roomate whose copy I played if some of the early stuff in the game would feel less confusing and out of nowhere if I watched the movie and anime and thank god he said that while yes, they were a waste of time. Dodged two bullets there.

Honestly, XII has the kind of story people tried to argue XV does at launch. It's straightforward and concise.

Don't know about Type 0, but there's Crisis Core too.

3rd Birthday and Crisis Core were the worst games published by SE I ever played for a long time, and now I add XV to that list and only recently found out this guy directed 3B lol.

The guy has an abysmal track record for someone who's worked on a mainline game, which had me super confused when people were legitimately hopeful that he'd be up to the task lol, he's not the best director all right.

I watched the movie after the game and it retroactively made everything worse.

Where are these other countries these refugees come from?

This whole war has basically been starship troopers but they switch to normal soldiers once FFXV starts?

Mzo

Don't do that, I'm not watching some shitty movie to play your game.

Also finish them before the release date next time.

LotusHD

Banned
All you need is this before playing ;D

engine-blade-nier.jpg

X2X0

Annoying, really annoying, it's clear that the movie events should have been put in the game from the start, but was made into a movie for more profit or simply he felt they didn't have time and preferred to go with an open world and little story[tabata should've controlled his urges and made one LATER!]. but really they could have simply made that with no movie to bother making and a bit more time. it could have easily added 20 hours of rich story gameplay and made 15 one hell of a game.

Pachinko

FF XV is like 20 toppings pizza but there's no cheese.

I like this analogy .... but I think you're too kind to the game. It's more like a pizza made with the wrong kind of dough ... one that takes too long to cook properly and it's been pulled out of the oven after the usual time cooking has elapsed. So of course it's still kind of gooey and gross but to make up for it , every one of your favorite toppings has been spilled on top whether they go well together or not. As well, just before this under cooked mess gets served, you can get some expired prawns as an appetizer - don't like sea food or dislike getting food poisoning ? too bad , the rotten prawns are required , the gut ache they'll almost immediately leave you with will leave you wanting to fill your gut with just about anything. Problem is the pizza is so bad that you'll pick out the stuff on there you like and eat as much as you can , but at the end you still have to eat some of that undercooked gross ass dough and well, it'll just leave you feeling a bit sick by the time you push your plate away in disgust.

Later on , a half decent plate of sliders will be served in an attempt to wash out the taste of the shitty pizza but it won't be enough because the 2 flavors won't mix well. Eventually a desert will be served that everyone can share and well, it won't taste too bad but you'll have had your fill long before it comes to your table.

In the end you'll be left wishing that the whole pizza could have been great instead of just some toppings and perhaps even wish that those pretty good sliders were re purposed as more pizza toppings. Above all else you'll really wish the whole thing could have been cooked on the right kind of dough. As well, if there were some way to just not even serve those rotten prawns and just have a good stand alone pizza ....

Ah well, it's not as though this crap restaurant will really learn from these mistakes. They're about to release the long awaited followup dish to a beloved franchise that will probably feel like it's got all the important ingredients but somehow it'll end up undercooked and bland. Then after that we're going to be subjected to a 3 + course meal of mystery that will take way to long to make and probably won't be as good as the baconator we all ate 20 years ago. It would be easier to just make a baconator out of the same ingredients today but , I guess we're stuck with the expensive meal no one really asked for instead...

Apparently fans playing FF15 might miss story details because you didn't put things they needed to know in the game.

This is exactly what I want to say but without all the cursing and vulgar language.

I beat FFXV and at that time that I was playing it I liked it. Looking back on it my feelings changed some because of all the issues the game had but I always had the feeling of "fuck it, let's hope FFXIV is a better game."

Today the IGN article came out about whatever the Switch port is supposed to be and this quote of his and yeah.... I am a long time FF fan. I had every intention of buying a Switch port if it was released but now I doubt I'll buy FFXIV when it's released in like 15 years or an eventual Switch port.

I watched Kingsglaive and it honestly only made me more confused. All the characters had different faces and voice actors, and Ravus
clearly died in the movie
, so I thought it was an alternate universe or something.

This is legitimately better and more heartfelt than anything in FFXV proper :p

Mar Nosso

Banned
Tabata is like poisonous, horrible death to plot and story. He cuts it all up in the sake of "pacing" and gameplay and the game just ends up as a ghost of what it could have been. I haven't played any other games he has directed, but from what I've read of other people's thoughts on his attitude towards game directing, this seems pervasive to the way he works. And obviously, as a gamer that gets a huge part of my enjoyment from plot, lore and well developed characters, FFXV doesn't satisfy, well far from it.

I sincerely hope he won't get to direct any other mainline Final Fantasy, which has historically been a bastion IP for riveting plot, lore and characters. What a sad waste of immense potential this game was.

Edit: Actually, I have played one other game he directed which was Crisis Core. And apart from the gameplay which I remember enjoying, the whole story felt like unnecessary non-sense. Can someone please drown Genesis? Thanks.

hank_tree

Yeah this is bullshit. There's literally nothing of consequence in Kingsglaive. Everything you need to understand FF15 is in the game itself.

If you think otherwise, I guarantee you are one of those weirdos that recommends playing Kingdom Hearts in chronological order.

I watched Kingsglaive and it honestly only made me more confused. All the characters had different faces and voice actors, and Ravus
clearly died in the movie
, so I thought it was an alternate universe or something.

This is legitimately better and more heartfelt than anything in FFXV proper :p

Ravus lived because his arm was cut off.
Supposed to explain why he has a robot arm in the game.

Also he has a robot arm if you didn't notice it in the one 30 second cutscenes he was in the game.

Magnus

I got so tired of being told "didn't you watch the movie?" when I was asking people about story details I was confused by. Terrible storytelling in the base game. I'm all for narratives and worlds being enriched through transmedia storytelling, but the core component really needs to function on its own.

Kyzer

Banned
Hmm...

I guess my problem was always that I only understood its value because I watched the movie

This kinda makes me feel better about it?

You don't say? I do think they should have included some of the scenes from the movie into the main game. You don't even understand the beginning of the game without watching the movie, it makes no sense why they required people to dive into multiple forms of media just to understand the whole story of the title.

hank_tree

You don't say? I do think they should have included some of the scenes from the movie into the main game. You don't even understand the beginning of the game without watching the movie, it makes no sense why they required people to dive into multiple forms of media just to understand the whole story of the title.

I understood the beginning of the game perfectly fine without watching the movie,

Kingsglaive has crucial story details, but I think Brotherhood is what packs the biggest emotional punch and has the most character development. Noctis and his father, Prompto's pushing himself due to Noctis, Gladio's initial resentment towards Noctis, Ignis' episode highlighting the dynamic between Ignis and Noctis whilst showing that Noctis isn't in a good place emotionally due to fear and grief re: losing his father.

There was so much fantastic potential there, and it was all completely squandered. Regis' and Noctis' relationship alone, man. Just completely wasted and glossed over in FFXV.

...even in Brotherhood, Luna's episode... was a thing. Poor Luna is still paper thin even in the tie-in anime episode.

I'm still headscratching and completely frustrated that the the tie-in anime felt better written with stronger character arcs than the main game. It's usually the opposite.

still not over this

Glee1.gif

Zafir

I feel like people who have played XV in general might miss crucial story details. You know since half the story happens off screen.

Edit: Lol, apparently I got beaten with that comment, doh! :p

Strings

It's really telling though that every single game he's directed has been a "make something out of this thing Nomura and Nojima came up with" situation. I really hope his next game is something his team is more passionate about.

Type-0's scenario came from Tabata, and it's basically a blueprint for every mistake made in FFXV. I don't think this excuse flies at all.

I've played four of his games now (Crisis Core, 3rd Birthday, Type-0, and FFXV), and I've hated three, while thinking the last was just okay (Crisis Core). The gameplay is always shallow, and the story tends to suck :/

Gbraga

Type-0's scenario came from Tabata, and it's basically a blueprint for every mistake made in FFXV. I don't think this excuse flies at all.

I've played four of his games now (Crisis Core, 3rd Birthday, Type-0, and FFXV), and I've hated three, while thinking the last was just okay (Crisis Core). The gameplay is always shallow, and the story tends to suck :/

But it's still part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis. Of course as the director he has a huge level of creative control, but it's hard to imagine a bunch of spinoffs and a reboot from a Nomura project are "passion projects" of his. He even talked about how he had to force himself to like Noctis, because at first he just didn't like him at all.

Sure, he lacks a lot in storytelling, but working on something brand new, with no ties to anyone else's work, he would be able to focus on the kinds of things he enjoys the most.

When you take FFXV and its narrative, the best parts, or at least what I consider to be the best parts, are the calm moments of interaction between the main cast, the road trip aspect, as well as some of the world's lore. But it was all poorly executed and explored through the main plot, which was composed by remnants of the Versus project.

I'm not saying he has no fault in the games' shortcomings, or that a better director wouldn't deliver better games, but when I play his games, or at least the ones I did play, I don't see someone who should never be allowed to work on another game, I see a lot of misplaced potential. If he sucks at telling epic stories through well directed cutscenes, maybe we'd have a better story if he didn't even try. But he can't do that, because it's Final Fantasy, because it's specifically the reboot of the Final Fantasy Versus XIII project. I do think a more intimate story about these four friends and their camaraderie at the front, while you explore more of the world's history through gameplay, would make for a much more compelling and fulfilling story than having this epic plot involving astrals, ancient bloodlines and kingdoms with such a poor presentation.

Even on the management side of things, judging by all the interviews, he seems to be very good at managing his team and resources. Parntering him with Nomura as they did in the early XV days could actually have been a brilliant choice. Too bad they took Nomura out shortly after to work on VII Remake. Putting people to do what they do best is something that some times I wonder if wouldn't drastically improve the quality of their titles. Toriyama's stories are also... weird, but the man can certainly direct a cutscene. He's great at it! Why not let him focus on this kind of thing, instead of letting him create his stories and be in charge of game design? I don't get it.

CGwizz

I hope this man never gets to helm another main final fantasy again. Stop the excuses story sucked, just admit it , with movie or not story was told in a shit way in the game.

Griss

Absolutely clueless as to how to tell a fucking story. Ridiculous.

Fortunately for me I did watch Kingsglaive. Frankly it was infinitely better than FFXV as a story. But the way they integrated it into FFXV was pathetic, and made it feel like they were making it up as they went along. Of course, then I was told I had missed out on characterisation by not watching the short with Noctis and his bros before they set out. I hadn't even known that existed.

It doesn't matter anyway, a game costing 70 euro should be a self-contained story to begin with. "You need to see this movie / read this book first" is nonsense.

Top Bottom