• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Seda

Finally got the Lord class for Denam. Got to train him up now from level 1. This game might be my GOTY so far. Absolutely awesome. (Soaks up a lot of time though)

Soulhouf

Seda said:
Finally got the Lord class for Denam. Got to train him up now from level 1. This game might be my GOTY so far. Absolutely awesome. (Soaks up a lot of time though)
Now you can clean entire maps with Denam alone, providing you set the right skills for him.
This class really is over powered.

So far I collected 28 glass pumpkins for Deneb. Only 2 more to go and finally I can end this quest which I started for more than 2 months...

Hey, guys, did you know this game features Bioware storytelling? A famous game review website said so. And seemingly FFXIII-2 also features Bioware storytelling.

Ain't narrow minded populist revisionism, swell?

I kid, I kid. Still, it does make want to punch somebody.

Soulhouf

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
Hey, guys, did you know this game features Bioware storytelling? A famous game review website said so. And seemingly FFXIII-2 also features Bioware storytelling.
TO was released in 1995.

Peff

I liked how they actually made a separate news article out of that. I'm not sure if I like that some people only got interested in the game because of that though.

Peff said:
I liked how they actually made a separate news article out of that. I'm not sure if I like that some people only got interested in the game because of that though.
I thought this title on PSP was basically a port of the SAturn/PSX title, which I think I have upstairs in English. My point is why does he reference a Japanese only game, unless the PSX/Saturn version was an upgraded SNES version..? Confused a bit by that article, and what do they even mean by comparing it to Mass Effect?

Seda said:
This game is definitely my GOTY so far, it's phenomenal. I agree that it soaks up a lot of time, I've logged 35 hours in and I'm only at the beginning of Chapter 4. Sadly I've been distracted and haven't gotten around to playing any more over the last few months. Curse you eternally growing backlog and eternally growing list of upcoming games that I want!

Seda

Soulhouf said:
Now you can clean entire maps with Denam alone, providing you set the right skills for him.
This class really is over powered.

So far I collected 28 glass pumpkins for Deneb. Only 2 more to go and finally I can end this quest which I started for more than 2 months...

Brynhilder + Light Augment (or whatever it's called) = at least 200 damage per hit most of the time. Can also heal himself easily. I gave him Lombardia as th off-hand weapon, although it's not nearly as good (I need another light magic 1H sword, if there is one).

Right now I'm farming for weapon crafting drops from the shrine dungeons.

I have 26 human classes at level 42, just missing a couple of the rarer classes
(Astromancer, Holy Knight, etc...)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The_Darkest_Red said:
This game is definitely my GOTY so far, it's phenomenal. I agree that it soaks up a lot of time, I've logged 35 hours in and I'm only at the beginning of Chapter 4. Sadly I've been distracted and haven't gotten around to playing any more over the last few months. Curse you eternally growing backlog and eternally growing list of upcoming games that I want!

I think I'm 39 hours in, and I just started Ch 4. At this rate, I don't even know if I'll have the game completed by 2012!

It's a great game, but man it's time consuming :(
Unlike FFT, I can't see myself doing most of the side quests just out of necessity.

DownLikeBCPowder said:
I thought this title on PSP was basically a port of the SAturn/PSX title, which I think I have upstairs in English. My point is why does he reference a Japanese only game, unless the PSX/Saturn version was an upgraded SNES version..? Confused a bit by that article, and what do they even mean by comparing it to Mass Effect?

They mean that because today's gamers and ME, up in a tree, K I S S I N G, then the game is retroactively entitled to all of the mechanics that it uses, despite how ancient they actually are.

It is like someone discovering a modern port of Another World and then saying that it uses Team ICO'esque game design.

Seda

I have over 200 hours, although I have left the game on a couple of times sitting idle. Most of that was training up classes.

Seda said:
I have over 200 hours, although I have left the game on a couple of times sitting idle. Most of that was training up classes.
You are rapidly approaching the point at which it becomes more practical to reference your playing time in terms of "days played" rather than hours. You're rocking a pretty impressive 8.3 right now. I'm a little jealous to be honest.

Was there some kind of MiB mind-wipe thing that hit most gamers circa 2006 that missed some of us, or am I overthinking this?

I really need to play this... It was the first game I purchased for my go and its just been sitting there. Any tips for someone who has not played a Tactics Ogre game but putway to much time into other SRPGs like FFT and Disgaea?

I'm playing Vagrant Story right now for the first time, which is probably the game most in need of a remake that I've ever played (to realize its intended scope and to refine some gameplay elements), and I think I can make the statement now that Ivalice is superior to the TO world in almost every way, outside of the aspects that Tactics Advance introduced.

SatelliteOfLove said:
Was there some kind of MiB mind-wipe thing that hit most gamers circa 2006 that missed some of us, or am I overthinking this?

Sounds to me there needs to be a gaming school, and a lot of people need to go back and retake their exams because this medium wasn't borne this generation, no sir, it goes back a handful of decades, it does.

GeekyDad

Just broke into this game; lovin' it so far. I can see now where Valkyrie Chronicles must have gotten the idea for class levels, an excellent leveling system. Only thing I'm having an issue with, though, are a few interface omissions. When I'm preparing a party for battle, it doesn't show the class type when I cursor over a character. It's the same when I'm on the battlefield as well. I have to actually check the character condition to see their class type...unless I'm simply missing it.

Incredible game, though. Love all the little things they throw in there. The grinding system works well too; you can choose to engage in random battles or just retreat. The story is a very nice change from the usual JRPG fare. Has a similar tone to Covenant of the Plume. A bit confused about what spells each class can use, but it's a lot to digest. I'll sop it all up eventually.

I remember seeing Advance Wars in stores back in 2002 and never quite understanding what it...was.
Now I feel like such an idiot since after playing Tactics Ogre I want to play a lot more SRPGs.

Wow this game was amazing.
Great soundtrack, great story, nice sprites and little towns.
Best game I've played all year.

Also, what does fat bottomed girls mean?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Older Than They Think meets Small Reference Pools.

Even more hilarious is the "remains similar to Final Fantasy Tactics" bit.

GeekyDad

CrankyKong said:
I remember seeing Advance Wars in stores back in 2002 and never quite understanding what it...was.
Now I feel like such an idiot since after playing Tactics Ogre I want to play a lot more SRPGs.

Wow this game was amazing.
Great soundtrack, great story, nice sprites and little towns.
Best game I've played all year.

Also, what does fat bottomed girls mean?

Hmm...on the battlefield, Advance Wars and games like TO definitely have some similarities, but outside of that, they're very different games. That's not to say that you wouldn't enjoy AW if you enjoy TO. But there's no leveling system, customization, or freedom to roam in AW. AW also relies heavily on its own rock-paper-scissors-type system, whereas TO doesn't really exploit elements and such like many other RPG/strategy games do.

Definitely go back and check out AW if the battles in TO interest you, but expect strictly a strategy game.

Osietra

Banned
Okay, this is weird. I'm grinding up my lord class in the wildwoods, and the octopus and two familiars I was fighting have turned against the three skeletons for no apparent reason. The skeletons' allegiance is Highwaymen, so I'm wondering if that has any bearing on this fact.
Anyway, has anyone else had this happen to them?

Hi everyone!

I need some advice regarding this game. I want to gift it to my 11 year old nephew, as he loves games with rpg and strategic elements. He likes games like Pokemon, Command and Conquer, Valkyria Chronicles, free to play flash based rpg's, basically anything that lets you grind for xp, level up units and so on. He is getting a PSP (a bit LTTP) and i thought of getting him Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, but from what i have read it's a pretty hard game. I browsed through the top rated PSP titles and Tactics Ogre caught my eye because i have heard/read lots of praise for it and i want to introduce a quality title to him, not some shovelware. I could also get it fairly cheap (don't want to spend too much on a blind buy that might not be the right thing for him).

So what i want to know is the following, would you recommend the game for an 11 year old that has some experience with the genre but isn't isn't used to very hard games, is it fairly accessible at least at the beginning or would it be too hard/inappropriate for some other reason?

Thanks!

#1 defender said:
Hi everyone!

So what i want to know is the following, would you recommend the game for an 11 year old that has some experience with the genre but isn't isn't used to very hard games, is it fairly accessible at least at the beginning or would it be too hard/inappropriate for some other reason?

Thanks!

It's not a terribly hard game, since you can use an "undo" function in the battles. The story is pretty dark, though:

No graphic art or anything like that, but with the choices I've made going through the game, one of the main characters got tortured and killed, and the protagonist's best friend was executed and his sister committed suicide. Not sure if that sort of thing is too heavy for an 11 year old or not.

Aside from that, I don't really see any potential issues if he's already playing RPGs and Strategy games.

GeekyDad

#1 defender said:

Thanks!

I would NOT recommend this for someone that age, though it's not something I think someone that age should stay away from. It's not a matter of difficulty; it's the story that will likely not interest an 11-year old. I'd recommend Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea over this, if only because I think those games might be more appealing in terms of presentation. Tactics Ogre's gameplay is excellent for all ages, but Alexander O. Smith's translations are for more discerning tastes, in my opinion, especially with regards to this particular game. To me, it's one of the most well-written stories/scripts I've come across in a game for a while, but it's not for everyone.

OK, thank you both. It does sound a bit heavy and he isn't at the age where he would appreciate a story in this vein, so i'll just keep it in mind and maybe get it for him a few years down the line. I will look into FF Tactics and Disgaea, thanks for the recommendations!

Osietra said:
Okay, this is weird. I'm grinding up my lord class in the wildwoods, and the octopus and two familiars I was fighting have turned against the three skeletons for no apparent reason. The skeletons' allegiance is Highwaymen, so I'm wondering if that has any bearing on this fact.
Anyway, has anyone else had this happen to them?

If you encounter a group of enemies with different Allegiances they can attack each other, though generally they will prioritize your party first.

Soulhouf

I am currently crawling the Palace of the Dead (Hell Gate in the original game) for the second time to try to get what I missed the first time.
I remember in the original game a treasure called the fire seal or something like that.
Can I find it in this remake as well?

Soulhouf said:
I am currently crawling the Palace of the Dead (Hell Gate in the original game) for the second time to try to get what I missed the first time.
I remember in the original game a treasure called the fire seal or something like that.
Can I find it in this remake as well?

It's still there. You have to beat the POTD completely first. Then you need to gather 4 wind god weapons, three are in PotD (floors 64, 99, and 99), and one is in San Bronsa (Floating Ruins 1). Then make it to floor 100 of the PotD, defeat Blackmore, and he will drop it in a loot bag.

It's a pain in the ass to get, especially since it's easy to mess up flags using the WORLD system.

Osietra

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
If you encounter a group of enemies with different Allegiances they can attack each other, though generally they will prioritize your party first.
Thanks for the reply. I swear this game is just such a giver. Happiness and joy if a TO game comes to the Vita.

Soulhouf

Basileus777 said:
It's still there. You have to beat the POTD completely first. Then you need to gather 4 wind god weapons, three are in PotD (floors 64, 99, and 99), and one is in San Bronsa (Floating Ruins 1). Then make it to floor 100 of the PotD, defeat Blackmore, and he will drop it in a loot bag.

It's a pain in the ass to get, especially since it's easy to mess up flags using the WORLD system.
Thanks. It seems to be the same requirements as in the original.
Do I have to equip all the 4 weapons to get the fire seal dropped?

Okay GAF please help.

I picked up TO when it came out. Played to Chapter 3 at 22hours, but then Dissidia 012 came out and I put down TO with the intention of finishing it. Today, I booted up my last save and I'm completely lost. I cant remember what was going on story wise. I know that last time, I had switched Denam to
ninja
but was struggling cuz all the enemies were kicking my ass in random battles.

What should I do? Restart from the beginning? Pick an earlier chapter instead? And can some give me some advice on the best way to level up new classes, cuz trying to do it last time was not fun.

Thanks in advance.

Grinchy

Banned
I keep reading all the posts in this thread which has me hoping that the game goes on sale soon. I'm afraid that I won't like it, or that I'll let it sit idly by as I play console/PC games. I just can't spend full price, but these comments are hard to ignore.

Grinchy said:
I keep reading all the posts in this thread hoping that the game goes on sale soon. I'm afraid that I won't like it, or that I'll let it sit idly by as I play console/PC games. I just can't spend full price, but these comments are hard to ignore.

Have you played a tactics RPG before? Have you played either Vagrant Story or Final Fantasy Tactics before? If you like those, Im pretty sure you'll enjoy TO.

Grinchy said:
I keep reading all the posts in this thread hoping that the game goes on sale soon. I'm afraid that I won't like it, or that I'll let it sit idly by as I play console/PC games. I just can't spend full price, but these comments are hard to ignore.

You mean posts from people who presumably haven't played it, which is why they're hoping for a sale?

SpaceBridge said:
Okay GAF please help.

I picked up TO when it came out. Played to Chapter 3 at 22hours, but then Dissidia 012 came out and I put down TO with the intention of finishing it. Today, I booted up my last save and I'm completely lost. I cant remember what was going on story wise.

If you wanna see what you last did you can just check the Warren Report.

SpaceBridge said:
And can some give me some advice on the best way to level up new classes, cuz trying to do it last time was not fun.

Thanks in advance.

Phorampa Wildwood is generally good for leveling, recruiting, or scavenging for equipment.

Grinchy

Banned
Oh yeah, I loved FF Tactics, and I know I would probably like this game. If it weren't for the shitty framerate drops, I would re-purchase War of the Lions now that it's on the store for $10. I just don't want to regret spending $30 on Ogre. I have to Go with the DD version, or else I would have jumped on the $20 deal.

Fimbulvetr said:
You mean posts from people who presumably haven't played it, which is why they're hoping for a sale?

If you wanna see what you last did you can just check the Warren Report.

Phorampa Wildwood is generally good for leveling, recruiting, or scavenging for equipment.

For some reason Phorampa Wildwood isnt showing up on my map.

Grinchy said:
Oh yeah, I loved FF Tactics, and I know I would probably like this game. If it weren't for the shitty framerate drops, I would re-purchase War of the Lions now that it's on the store for $10. I just don't want to regret spending $30 on Ogre. I have to Go with the DD version, or else I would have jumped on the $20 deal.

Ya good ta go, friend.

Completed Palace of the Dead, they really needed to refine and playtest many of the classes and abilities.

Archers are pants-on-head retarded good still, with Valkyries and the majority of TP related moves being useless.

TACTICS OGRE OR TITS

WHAT BUY?

I kinda want to buy tits because its not nearly as long to finish, but so much love for the ogre is hard to ignore.

Onion_Relish said:
TACTICS OGRE OR TITS

WHAT BUY?

I kinda want to buy tits because its not nearly as long to finish, but so much love for the ogre is hard to ignore.

i liked them both, but TO has more content. you could play it for 200+ hours and find new stuff. you can't go wrong with either.

Top Bottom