• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Takamaru Was Originally Planned to Be Playable in Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

RomanceDawn

There were a few characters that I just knew were guaranteed to make it this time around, they were Mega Man, Pac Pan, Little Mac, Dixie Kong and Takamaru. I still feel like Dixie is on the way.

Too bad for Takamaru becoming the new retro revival but Duck Hunt certainly fits the bill more. I want Sukapon so bad but man, after Sakurai's words today I feel like he is never getting in until Nintendo makes a sequel to his game.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
If they had plans to make him playable, Takamaru wouldn't have been an Assist Trophy.
IIRC I specifically remember Sakurai saying in brawl that some characters that are ATs are characters he couldnt think of full movesets for or didnt have time to fully implement like lyn and lil mac.

Blues1990

giphy.gif

I really see his point, I'm a huge Nintendo fan and I know where every smash character is from, but this would have really throne me for a loop.

That didn't stop Marth and Roy from being added to the Super Smash Bros. Melee roster. If anything, they should have taken the risk and introduce this samurai to the world. Besides, what kid who is 12 or younger (or that doesn't have an older sibling that had played a bunch of NES games) would have a clue who Mega Man is?

Ivan 3414

It seems to me that the big reason Takamaru wasn't playable was simply his role had already been filled with other characters. Fire Emblem was a big franchise in Japan and there weren't any purely sword users in Smash Bros which prompted Marth/Roy(BTW, Roy was not put in just for advertisment, His game was slated for release before Melee but it was delayed. That's how Roy ended up being a character existing before the release of his own game. He was "just put in for advertisement" about as much as Lucina and Robin were, or any Smash character for that matter.)

Obscure characters that are chosen usually have a unique gameplay hook, visual hook, and/or they're put in for the surprise factor. Gameplay was how Ice Climbers made the cut over other NES characters as well as Duck Hunt, and how G&W and ROB ended up playable.

TL;DR Takumaru is a blue-haired swordsman who's game is obscure even in Japan, and while he could be given an unique moveset(as can every character), he wouldn't have a role that wasn't already fulfilled in the roster.

jerry1594

That didn't stop Marth and Roy from being added to the Super Smash Bros. Melee roster. If anything, they should have taken the risk and introduce this samurai to the world. Besides, what kid who is 12 or younger (or that doesn't have an older sibling that had played a bunch of NES games) would have a clue who Mega Man is?
Marth and Roy were well known in Japan. Everyone in every Smash game is, except Ice Climbers I guess.

Hey this reminds me: is anyone pulling for the Marvelous: Another Treasure Island kids to become an Assist Trophy in the next Smash? They at least have traits more unique for a Smash line-up than does Takamaru, and the Zelda connection + growing cult audience means they'd fare better than as just a trophy or sticker (assuming that hasn't already happened). I also think Marvelous has potential for a stage, but that won't be happening for who knows how long.

I hope Takamaru and other lesser-known Nintendo characters get a place in either of these rosters as the franchise develops.

There's too many swords in Smash.
What does this even mean?
I could say there's too many punching people in Smash. Or too many magic people. Or too many ranged space characters. There are too many parents in Smash Bros. Too many fat Italian men. How nonspecific do I need to go?

Marth and Link are so different the swords don't even matter. Even between the three non-clone FE characters they're super different, nobody can really emulate Ike's brute sword techniques and Robin uses magic primarily, with sword use as secondary.

Takamaru's sword style is also different than the other characters, and he has unique projectiles and magic and stuff.

Piers

What does this even mean?
I could say there's too many punching people in Smash. Or too many magic people. Or too many ranged space characters. There are too many parents in Smash Bros. Too many fat Italian men. How nonspecific do I need to go?

Sword-weilding characters and their move set do not typically diverse outside of swinging their blade. Punching characters, for instance, do at least have dynamic attacks. (i.e. Mario flipping his cape, Donkey Kong carrying victims) From a taste perspective, some simply see it as dull.
Link's the only sword-weilder that comes to mind whose move set isn't centred entirely around just that.

Sword-weilding characters and their move set do not typically diverse outside of swinging their blade. Punching characters, for instance, do at least have dynamic attacks. (i.e. Mario flipping his cape, Donkey Kong carrying victims) From a taste perspective, some simply see it as dull.
Link's the only sword-weilder that comes to mind whose move set isn't centred entirely around just that.
But Ike is as different from Marth as Mario is from Wario. And there's Robin who's way different, using magic.

That leaves Metaknight, Toon Link and Mii Sword Fighter. Metaknight is different because he's super fast, flies and is a short little puffball. He's basically the same as Kirby is to any punching character. Toon Link is a borderline clone, and Mii Sword Fighter is bland and uninteresting, but more or less unique (or as unique as the Miis can be). Pit/Dark Pit use two blades and lots of other items besides just their swords and are barely even sword users.

Takamaru isn't just a regular sword dude either. He'd probably be more like Link and Robin, and not just Samurai Marth.

I'm pretty sure if there was no Mii sword fighter, Takmaru would've taken his spot

Mii Swordfighter has a couple moves that do seem inspired by Takamaru.

Vuapol

Dammit.

I mean, yes, Takamaru is obscure even by Smash's standards, but...damn. He was a Top 5 newcomer pick for me, and I would've loved to have seen Smash do for Takamaru and Murasame what it did for Pit and Kid Icarus the last go-around.

Smash is at its best when it takes an obscure or long-forgotten relic of a character or franchise and brings it back from the dead.

leroidys

Copy and paste from the last page:

They require a lot less effort than an original/non-clone character. Sakurai has said to basically think of them as a "bonus."

For Melee, he basically chose between adding a single additional unique character (Dedede, IIRC) and all 6 clones, and opted for the 6 clones instead. It's hard to imagine a world where Ganondorf wasn't introduced until Brawl, and Falco was never in Smash!

The thing is, I would have much preferred to miss out on Ganondorf for 1 game and then have him sport a completely unique moveset rather than getting him in Melee and having him stuck as a clone or semi-clone FOREVER.

Son Of D

But Ike is as different from Marth as Mario is from Wario. And there's Robin who's way different, using magic.

That leaves Metaknight, Toon Link and Mii Sword Fighter. Metaknight is different because he's super fast, flies and is a short little puffball. He's basically the same as Kirby is to any punching character. Toon Link is a borderline clone, and Mii Sword Fighter is bland and uninteresting, but more or less unique (or as unique as the Miis can be). Pit/Dark Pit use two blades and lots of other items besides just their swords and are barely even sword users.

Takamaru isn't just a regular sword dude either. He'd probably be more like Link and Robin, and not just Samurai Marth.

Mii Swordfighter has a couple moves that do seem inspired by Takamaru.

You're forgetting Shulk. Although I do agree that the "too many sword users" thing is bullshit.

GamerSoul

If it weren't for Smash what the heck what would Captain Falcon be doing right now? Probably washing Mario Karts for a living. It's kinda sad when you think about it..lol

There's too many swords in Smash.

and not one playable Katana user. I wanted my Taka-Misturugi :/ These threads always make me want to discuss and speculate about potential characters...must. resist.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I'm all about the classic or even some of the obscure protagonist of the Nintendo world. Takamaru and someone like Dillon would have been terrific.

Azure J

Edit: The new Vergil in DMC4SE trailer made my thirst for a Smash iaijutsu character even more powerful I swear.

He wasn't planned, he was very briefly considered. However, Sakurai knew that his name recognition is extremely low. I originally pointed this out in the Smash leaks group over at Smash Boards. Here's my full impressions on the video

Sugita: I was really happy to play Takamaru.
Sakurai: I thought about having Takamaru as a player character for a second…but it’s was probably impossible.
Sugita: Takamaru….
Sakurai: Due to lack of popularity….
Sugita: Popularity, huh….I made an appearance! I made an appearance! For popularity abroad…: (In Takamaru’s voice) I won’t give up.

:')

Glad to see Sugita enjoyed his role however brief. Hope springs eternal after all.

I know you recognized this as a taste thing, but I'm still constantly baffled when people say things like this then turn around and say that every other sword less character is more visually diverse or dynamic.

The saddest part is, the easiest way to show how dynamic sword characters are to people who don't believe in them would be to actually be creative and make characters that fall into different schools of swordsmanship and put them in the cast, but as long as the sentiment of "we have enough" exists, that will never get explored to anywhere near a satisfactory level.

I swear Sugita is saying "Goku" in-universe DB style.

Anyway, in addition to the Takamaru transcript, here's the Goku/SpongeBob one.

Sakurai: But, you know I get requests like, “Please put Goku in”
Sugita: GOKU!?
Sakurai: “Please put Spongebob”
Sugita: SPONGEBOB?!
Sakurai: That’s impossible.
Sugita: Spongebob’s games are only sold abroad!
Sakurai: That’s right
Sugita: The really energetic, yellow square right?
Sakurai: Yes.
Sugita: Even Spongebob…
Sakurai: Well, those kinds of requests are pretty common.
Sugita: What about Yukawasen, or Segata Sanshiro?
Sakurai: (laughs)
Sugita: …well I’m glad Sonic’s in.
Sakurai: That’s the point of Mii Fighters

"That's impossible," ahahaha.

Blues1990

Marth and Roy were well known in Japan. Everyone in every Smash game is, except Ice Climbers I guess.

NOA could have easily removed those two for the North American release of SSBM, as up until the 2003 release of 'Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword', all the games in the series were exclusive to Japan. And I would argue about the series popularity, as it seemed to have more of a small cult following than being a colossal franchise. Until the release of Awakening, the series remained shunned from the spotlight. Heck, Nintendo thought so little of the news that Awakening would be reaching Western shores, that it was "officially announced" through Reggie Fils Aime's Twitter account.

Nightbird

Lol, the thought of someone believing that Spongebob has a realistic chance of duking it out with Mario, Link and Co.....

I can't stop laughing hahaha

Raitaro

I don't know what's worse, not getting Takamaru after he was actually being considered, or the fact that his continued obscurity proves again how little an impact Nintendo Land has had (which of course features the "Takamaru's Ninja Castle" minigame).

Personally I would have happily traded in a few sword wielding Fire Emblem characters myself if it meant getting Takamaru. As such, I really hope he and the Ice Climbers are being considered for future DLC (as I don't really care about getting another Pokemon with Mewtwo) or for the next Smash game. Obscurity should not be an issue in both cases since the Smash games more than any other seem to be made to give obscure characters a new platform to shine on.

Isn't Spongebob like, really popular in Japan?

Only as a merchandising product. I've seen some kids with "Bob" bags. No one really watches the t.v. show...it's on a satellite channel. Never met anyone who actually knew any of the other Spongebob characters.

HAWcVs0.gif

Here's a .gif of Sakurai saying, "....It was probably impossible" 「無理かな」

Do people actually unironically want Goku and Spongebob in Smash?

Children want everybody in Smash. Including their own creations. Miiverse had a frequently lauded post where some kid wanted his own idea, "Tiny Sonic," to be playable and was begging Sakurai directly.

If you look at the laughably huge fake rosters people made images for in the post-Melee pre-Brawl hype, you'll basically see nothing but the absolutely stupidest suggestions.

I don't know what's worse, not getting Takamaru after he was actually being considered, or the fact that his continued obscurity proves again how little an impact Nintendo Land has had (which of course features the "Takamaru's Ninja Castle" minigame).

Personally I would have happily traded in a few sword wielding Fire Emblem characters myself if it meant getting Takamaru. As such, I really hope he and the Ice Climbers are being considered for future DLC (as I don't really care about getting another Pokemon with Mewtwo) or for the next Smash game. Obscurity should not be an issue in both cases since the Smash games more than any other seem to be made to give obscure characters a new platform to shine on.

There's no series in Smash that's as niche and obscure as Mysterious Castle. The closest peer Takamaru would have would be Lucas, and not only was he cut from Smash for not being well known or important, but he didn't add a series to Smash, Mother was already repped by a much more well known, and international, game/character.

People point to Ice Climbers or Fire Emblem, but neither of those are on the same level as Takamaru. FE was a healthy series with lots of a games, Marth was super popular in Japan, and they were even considering removing Marth and Roy from Smash in North America and only didn't because of time. Ice Climbers were obscure, but used in NES marketing back in the day, and were internationally released. ROB, Game and Watch and Duck Hunt don't compare either, back in their primes they were super popular... Takamaru, not so much. For Pit, it seems pretty clear that he was in Smash to try and feel out a reboot. And he wasn't that obscure anyway.

There really is actually a point where "Too Obscure" becomes a reason not be added to Smash. We already knew this when he said Sukapon probably won't ever be added back with Brawl, and he restated this same thing with Takamaru and that card game girl.

Do people actually unironically want Goku and Spongebob in Smash?

My Vegeta Mii is top tier :)

CassSept

Children want everybody in Smash. Including their own creations. Miiverse had a frequently lauded post where some kid wanted his own idea, "Tiny Sonic," to be playable and was begging Sakurai directly.

If you look at the laughably huge fake rosters people made images for in the post-Melee pre-Brawl hype, you'll basically see nothing but the absolutely stupidest suggestions.

That's what people said about Snake ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Forkball

I swear Sugita is saying "Goku" in-universe DB style.

Anyway, in addition to the Takamaru transcript, here's the Goku/SpongeBob one.

"That's impossible," ahahaha.
Notice how he doesn't say Goku is impossible...

People saying Takamaru would be another blue-haired swordsman don't know what they're talking about. He's actually quite unique. First of all, he's like half-samurai/half ninja. In the game, he can

+Deflect projectiles with his sword
+Defeat enemies at close range with a katana
+Throw knives, and these weird scythe shuriken things
+Can throw fucking fireballs
+Lightning attack that wrecks the entire screen
+Invisibility cloak
+Can actually WALK ON WATER YES THIS IS IN THE GAME FOR REAL

The game is unique in that there is only one attack button, and it's function depends on the situation. If an attack is coming at you, you can deflect it by attacking. Conversely, if you are far from your enemy, you will throw out knives with the attack button. However, if you are really close, you will pull out your sword for a ballin' OHKO. There's these cool sword enemies that have their swords in front of them. You cannot kill them via projectiles, so you have to inch close to them, which causes them to raise their swords so they can strike you. You have to attack via pulling out your sword via perfect timing THIS IS LIKE SOME KENSHIN SHIT.

They could duplicate this idea in Smash by giving him different attacks based on how far away from an enemy he is. Some enemies, like Greninja and Robin, have this implemented in some of their moves so it's not impossible. If he's far from the opponent, his attacks will be ranged. If they are close, he will use his sword. Mega Man already has some "ranged" tilts and smashes, so it's doable. Not to mention they could put in his other powers like invisibility and fireballs, or just make shit up. The fuck could Pit do before Brawl? Jump and shoot and arrow? Takamaru would clobber him.

I think he is very likely for Smash 5. I mean, they are at the bottom of the barrel here. Hell, they're UNDER the barrel at this point. Who was the biggest inclusion for Smash 4, Villager? He represents Nintendo's most popular franchise they've created in the past 15 years, which is kinda sad even though I love Animal Crossing. Splatoon Inklings will probably be highly requested, but unless Nintendo cranks out a lot of new franchises or include major new characters in upcoming games, they're gonna throw in whoever they can for the next Smash game.

As a side note, I would love for Sakurai to reboot The Mysterious Murasame Castle. The game is actually quite fun (yes, you can play it in NA and EU via 3DS VC) and has a lot of interesting ideas that can be built upon.

They still have plenty of characters before they start hitting truly obscure/bottom of the barrel.

All of the characters in Smash fall into two categories: The Protagonist of a game, or Recurring Characters in an established series. The only exception is Sheik (Who was originally attached to Zelda). Other characters who break this rule in Sm4sh started out as costumes, and were made into clones late into development.

So, here's a list of over 30 newcomers that could be added in Smash 5, that still follows these rules. I ordered the list by my personal opinion of likelihood per series.

A lot of the ATs could be made into full characters (Samurai Goroh being the front runner of that group, if a new F-Zero game was in development).

From the Mario series: Paper Mario, a Mario enemy (Like Shy Guy, Koopa Troopa, or Goomba), Boo, Toad/Toadette/ Captain Toad.

D.K: Dixie Kong, King K. Rool

Zelda: Goron, Zora, Impa or, Deku. Possibly Vaati, if there's another game with him in it.

Kirby: Gooey/ Waddle Dee

Star Fox: Wolf brought back, Peppy, Slippy.

Pokemon: A ton of Pokemon could be brought in.

Fire Emblem: The new protagonist from the game Fire Emblem: If

Warioware: Waluigi, Ashley, Mona/ Jimmy.

Animal Crossing: Isabella, Tom Nook

Retro: Golf (NES)/ Takamaru, Bubbles, Mach Rider, Lip, Marvelous protagonist,

New series reps: Rhythm Heaven (Tie between Chorus Kids and the Wrestler), Advance Wars (Andy), Professor Layton, Golden Sun, Chibi Robo, Inklings, Sin and Punishment, Dr. Kawashima, Custom Robo, Project S.T.E.A.M, Fossil Fighters, Wave Race, 1080.

Azure J

Notice how he doesn't say Goku is impossible...

People saying Takamaru would be another blue-haired swordsman don't know what they're talking about. He's actually quite unique. First of all, he's like half-samurai/half ninja. In the game, he can

+Deflect projectiles with his sword
+Defeat enemies at close range with a katana
+Throw knives, and these weird scythe shuriken things
+Can throw fucking fireballs
+Lightning attack that wrecks the entire screen
+Invisibility cloak
+Can actually WALK ON WATER YES THIS IS IN THE GAME FOR REAL

The game is unique in that there is only one attack button, and it's function depends on the situation. If an attack is coming at you, you can deflect it by attacking. Conversely, if you are far from your enemy, you will throw out knives with the attack button. However, if you are really close, you will pull out your sword for a ballin' OHKO. There's these cool sword enemies that have their swords in front of them. You cannot kill them via projectiles, so you have to inch close to them, which causes them to raise their swords so they can strike you. You have to attack via pulling out your sword via perfect timing THIS IS LIKE SOME KENSHIN SHIT.

They could duplicate this idea in Smash by giving him different attacks based on how far away from an enemy he is. Some enemies, like Greninja and Robin, have this implemented in some of their moves so it's not impossible. If he's far from the opponent, his attacks will be ranged. If they are close, he will use his sword. Mega Man already has some "ranged" tilts and smashes, so it's doable. Not to mention they could put in his other powers like invisibility and fireballs, or just make shit up. The fuck could Pit do before Brawl? Jump and shoot and arrow? Takamaru would clobber him.

I think he is very likely for Smash 5. I mean, they are at the bottom of the barrel here. Hell, they're UNDER the barrel at this point. Who was the biggest inclusion for Smash 4, Villager? He represents Nintendo's most popular franchise they've created in the past 15 years, which is kinda sad even though I love Animal Crossing. Splatoon Inklings will probably be highly requested, but unless Nintendo cranks out a lot of new franchises or include major new characters in upcoming games, they're gonna throw in whoever they can for the next Smash game.

As a side note, I would love for Sakurai to reboot The Mysterious Murasame Castle. The game is actually quite fun (yes, you can play it in NA and EU via 3DS VC) and has a lot of interesting ideas that can be built upon.

Love the enthusiasm, but please remember it was your hype that caused #MurasameMonday. [Read from that post on]

;)

Edit: I'm still very much a fan of the idea of him being the only sword character that can actively draw or sheathe his sword mid match. Drawn sword for max range/kendo type swings for normals. Sheathed sword for those hype ass Johnny Sifondi/Kenshin/Vergil style iaijutsu strikes. Projectiles on forward and downward special.

vulva

Only as a merchandising product. I've seen some kids with "Bob" bags. No one really watches the t.v. show...it's on a satellite channel. Never met anyone who actually knew any of the other Spongebob characters.

So it's kinda like Hello Kitty in NA?

kirby_fox

Banned
They still have plenty of characters before they start hitting truly obscure/bottom of the barrel.

Most of those mentioned are fairly low tier (a common Mario enemy? Really?) Takamaru was positioned really well for Smash 4-- the game got released in the West, they put a game in Nintendoland based on the game. If they were trying to raise awareness of this title for a relaunch of the series, I'm surprised that he's not in. Unless they plan to give free DLC with a new game or something.

Duck Hunt Dog salt is second only to Ridley. There's a blog my friend made some years back to intentionally troll GameFAQs and we continue to dredge up the following comment on his Ridley post.

"You ask people to be rational, and then suggest that Duck Hunt Dog could be a playable character? You're so far out in space, I'm amazed you haven't run into Ridley, yourself"

I would've thought Bowser Jr. would be grounds for dismissal too, but Sakurai made him playable in the best way possible. Just goes to show no matter how dumb a character idea, the man could make it work.

except daisy

Platy

"Nobody knows him" gives me little hope for a Hanafuda representation =(

...but then again miis and animal crossing don't make sense in a fighting game, right ?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Do anyone think that they are going to port Smash 3DS/WIiU to NX and upgrade the game and release it for NX Launch?

Duck Hunt Dog salt is second only to Ridley. There's a blog my friend made some years back to intentionally troll GameFAQs and we continue to dredge up the following comment on his Ridley post.

I would've thought Bowser Jr. would be grounds for dismissal too, but Sakurai made him playable in the best way possible. Just goes to show no matter how dumb a character idea, the man could make it work.

except daisy

Yeah, that's so awesome that Bowser J had very interesting moveset! :) Yeah, there are some people are still salty about it.

"Nobody knows him" gives me little hope for a Hanafuda representation =(

...but then again miis and animal crossing don't make sense in a fighting game, right ?

Have Hanafuda cards ever made Nintendo game representation? They've gotta at least have a cameo somewhere.

At least, he got a trophy in Smash 3DS.

At least, he got a trophy in Smash 3DS.

Oh yeah, the Nintendoji guy, right? That was from a JP Club Nintendo game if I recall correctly, so he'll probably never be playable.

Shame, since I think a Hanafuda-related character would be the perfect WTF retro representative alongside G&W/ROB/Duck Hunt.

Top Bottom