• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take Two CEO "Nintendo is making a 'great effort' to support 3rd parties on Switch"

IAmMonodi

Yes, I'm talking about labeling, and I think it's a legitimate problem. Yes, I understand that this layout has always been standard for Nintendo. I'll also say that I personally am accustomed to Nintendo's layout, and went out of my way to buy a Wii U Pro Controller rather than a standard Xbox controller for my PC, specifically because I wanted Nintendo's placement.

In the west, both Sony and Nintendo have confirm on the bottom and back on the right. Only Nintendo has the reverse. This is primarily a problem for consumers, who are used to Sony and Microsoft's layout, but it's something developers have to consider as well. For example, generally the "confirm" button is also the primary button in gameplay. So should a developer porting its game to the Nintendo switch map "attack" to B or A? If the latter, they may have to redesign their interface to account for the differing placement. And this is before you get into the detachable joycons, which are meant to be usable as two separate controllers.

wat

BuggyMike

Yes, I'm talking about labeling, and I think it's a legitimate problem. Yes, I understand that this layout has always been standard for Nintendo. I'll also say that I personally am accustomed to Nintendo's layout, and went out of my way to buy a Wii U Pro Controller rather than a standard Xbox controller for my PC, specifically because I wanted Nintendo's placement.

In the west, both Sony and Nintendo have confirm on the bottom and back on the right. Only Nintendo has the reverse. This is primarily a problem for consumers, who are used to Sony and Microsoft's layout, but it's something developers have to consider as well. For example, generally the "confirm" button is also the primary button in gameplay. So should a developer porting its game to the Nintendo switch map "attack" to B or A? If the latter, they may have to redesign their interface to account for the differing placement. And this is before you get into the detachable joycons, which are meant to be usable as two separate controllers.

This is complete nonsense. It would litterally be a non-issue for devs to move the buttons around. Also, for players, It litterally takes a few minutes to adjust to a knew controller when the lay-out is exactly the same, especially considering all platforms have the exact same diamond set up, and all other controls are more or less in the same place. What's most important is that you grab the controller and feel an immediate familiarity with it. If you've mostly played COD for PS4, when you grab an XBOX controller, everything is in the same place, just with different letters on the buttons, so it's really not hard to adjust to that. No one plays video games looking down at the controller, they feel around for the buttons.

Banned

Ha.

Haha.

Hahaha.

Hahaha hahaha hahaha

Guys, to be fair, he's only harping on the fact that the "accept" and "decline" standards are different between Nintendo and the other two.

Malakai

Not a game developer but know my way around software programming well enough. Beyond that however it's simply common sense. The device is going to have a multitude of unique tool kits needed for the portable v. docked, detachable controllers, touch screen, etc.. Then it's built on top of (allegedly) the Tegra chipset which is much easier than what Nintendo has offered before to be sure but being offered at a time when the PS4 and XBO are so close to PC hardware that most developers can simply use PCs for 90% of the process and have a limited number of dev kits to finish off each console variant. The Switch won't be that easy. Being the easiest Nintendo system for developers ever is good, but lets not act like they're even close to at parity with Sony and MS because that ignores that Sony and MS have the two most developer friendly consoles of all time right now. (needed because we currently have the most arduous in terms of total resources development era to date on our hands).

In a locked NX thread there was a post by an indie developer on the Wii U. The developer stated that it wasn't a problem at supporting the various controller configurations on the Wii U. I doubt that this would be a problem on the Switch.

Also, Nvidia, which have a working relationship with quite a bit of western game developers, should help out greatly with the second bolded part. Furthermore, Nintendo is a contributor to the Khronos Group.

Malakai

I'm not buy those Nintendo fans don't buy third party arguments:

d6BtzSi.png

Source

I'm sure the tens of millions of people who own/owned a DS/3DS have thrown their systems to the floor in disgust many times due to having "back" and "confirm" being in different locations from on PlayStation and XBOX.

Nintendo's ABXY layout in nonstandard in the west.
Mmmm, I think DS + 3DS tilt it to being a pretty strong minority.
Blackpuppy said:
Guys, to be fair, he's only harping on the fact that the "accept" and "decline" standards are different between Nintendo and the other two.
PlayStations are even internally inconsistent about this, with confirm being O or X depending on where you are in the world.

Malakai

Summary

You sure? Okay then.

- Sony signed a deal with Capcom last year for MH5 on PS4/PC, specifically excluding Switch. A lot like the SFV contract excludes XBO. Sony paid a lot.
- MH5 is an open-world game aimed at Westerners, with a lot of streamlined gameplay - no timer, no missions, less gathering and prep, more action based, QTEs, less complicated and fewer weapons. 2018.
- Someone at Capcom leaked the deal to Nintendo. Nintendo have been quiet.
- MHX did way better in Japan and the West than Capcom expected, causing a bunch of people at Capcom to panic.
- A bunch of people at Capcom are worried MH5 for PS4 is being rushed out with too little content (monsters, weapons, balance) and will bomb like SFV.
- MH Portable series is getting resurrected for Switch, headed by main MH team, because Capcom don't expect MH5 to do well in Japan. Traditional MH game - new weapons and environmental stuff, some elements from MHX. 2018.
- MHXX is getting a Switch port to set up for Portable.

aBarreras

Nibel summarized why MH5 on the PS4 makes total sense

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=221774475&postcount=334

This makes sense for several reasons:
- Monster Hunter on consoles always have been bigger than on handhelds
- Street Fighter V is proof that being exclusive to the PS4 actually pays off for Capcom
- The MonHun franchise is strong in Japan but stronger in the west which makes the shift to homeconsoles plausible
- The huge userbase they've built on the 3DS which is attached to the mainline series and jumping towards the Switch in the future would probably understand why they would have to play the Portable series and not object because in general the Japanese are very polite

Kinda excited for this!

I don't believe the MH5 rumor for even a minute.

In particular, it's silly because Monster Hunter is already improving in the west. Tri did decently, 3U did better than Capcom expected, and 4U had the best western launch yet... and a big part of that has to do with Nintendo helping give the franchise exposure. If Generations somehow doesn't continue this trend of doing better with each release, it likely has to do with the fact that it is viewed as a spinoff and many even casual MH fans are waiting either for the inevitable (now confirmed) updated version or for MH5.

So right there, it's a risky and controversial solution to a problem that is pretty much already being solved.

I also find it very hard to believe that Capcom would just NOT plan for a traditional MH5, decide that MH5 had to be this radical departure from the series, and then somehow be surprised by the fact that MHX did well. If anything, it's far more likely that MH5 would be the more traditional title, with the PS4 title taking on a new subtitle to indicate spinoff status. The narrative just doesn't make any sense, compared to the more obvious one that MHX is a filler title to keep the franchise moving while Capcom preps for the fifth generation on Switch.

I won't say Capcom doesn't make some pants-on-head dumb decisions sometimes, but Monster Hunter is their golden goose right now, and the rumor is just nonsensical. It's tailor-made to play up the "Nintendo vs Sony" rivalry, right down to someone leaking the deal to Nintendo, but all of that comes at the expense of believability.

It's bullshit, is what I'm saying.

Terrell

I'm not buy those Nintendo fans don't buy third party arguments:

d6BtzSi.png

Source

Unless you show data that compares these numbers against PlayStation or Xbox, sadly, no one who actually believes 3rd-party games can't/don't sell on Nintendo platforms is going to think that graph means anything. Yes, even despite the fact that the numbers compared against the 1st-party total are enough to prove the point.

Malakai

Unless you show data that compares these numbers against PlayStation or Xbox, sadly, no one who actually believes 3rd-party games can't/don't sell on Nintendo platforms is going to think that graph means anything. Yes, even despite the fact that the numbers compared against the 1st-party total are enough to prove the point.

I know. Too bad Microsoft and Sony doesn't publish any data unless it make them look good from a PR perspective.

Neff

If observing and talking to all manner of people since Switch debuted has shown me anything, it's that Switch is a hundred times sexier and more appealing than Wii U was. It's broken a marketing barrier Wii U utterly failed to do. Non-gamers know what it is and are excited about it. Wii U never got that head-start.

If the concept and marketability are selling to consumers at this pre-release stage, then it would come as no surprise to me if it has done the same for publishers too. Factor in Nintendo moving to architecture which isn't out of the stone age, and a clear dedication to finally providing strong development assistance, healthy third party support suddenly doesn't look too unrealistic any more.

The cynicism in this thread is reactionary and uninformed if accompanied by the simple summary of 'because it happened before'.

Branduil

"Ports can't happen because of button labels" feels like a new level of concern trolling.

I mean, Sony does fine despite several of their buttons not even being typeable.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Then they should be laughed at and mocked promptly. Any company giving themselves excuses with data like this isn't being honest about why their AAA title or their 3rd party title is bound to fail or could on a nintendo platform. Screw nobodies who want to have hollow arguments that aren't worth having. The list spells it out. Of nintendo's major consoles only the N64 and WiiU has nintendo had a huge bulk of all sales on the platform. Everything else is a pretty healthy split in favor of 3rd parties who are fighting amongst themselves.

Be a better list to know what 3rd party titles were selling and weren't.

I suggest that everyone saves that post with the 3rd party sales and posts it everytime a person makes that false accusation about Nintendo fans not buying 3rd party games.

Seriously, how daft can people be? And moreover, why on Earth people won't read the whole discussion before posting something that has been posted several times already (and debunked as many times)? Are people so eager to express their opinion that they just don't care about discussion?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Cuningas de Häme;225749742 said:
I suggest that everyone saves that post with the 3rd party sales and posts it everytime a person makes that false accusation about Nintendo fans not buying 3rd party games.

Seriously, how daft can people be? And moreover, why on Earth people won't read the whole discussion before posting something that has been posted several times already (and debunked as many times)? Are people so eager to express their opinion that they just don't care about discussion?

Pretty sure Nintendo console fans not buying many 3rd party games is well established problem. Have a look of the sales of pretty all of the wii u launch ports. This was well before the PS4 and XB1 had even been annonced

lenovox1

Pretty sure Nintendo console fans not buying many 3rd party games is well established problem. Have a look of the sales of pretty all of the wii u launch ports. This was well before the PS4 and XB1 had even been annonced

The chart challenges that notion. With regards to software sales, it's only been a problem with the Wii U in recent times.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The chart challenges that notion. With regards to software sales, it's only been a problem with the Wii U in recent times.
Which makes little difference as most of what we consider traditional core third party support wasn't the wii due to hardware limitations and most these major AAA western publishers/developers were largely PC developers that transitioned largely last gen. Their fanbase has never really been in Nintendo platforms in the first place. That's why you her a bunch of people skeptical about even buying WAS western games.

Japanese third parties should be fine support wise but we all know that is a dying industry with decreasing relevance.

Rise of the Tomb Raider has a Xbox 360 port

I actually didn't know this, and looking at that comparison video, I think I'm very okay with Switch being a Wii U x2.5 in power with a modern feature set. Get late 360 era games to run in 900p-1080p at a locked frame rate with better texture filtering and lighting by clocking higher in docked mode and I think it'd be acceptable for most. Portability can make up for the lack of graphical parity in the eyes of some people when the game still looks good and plays well.

Terrell

That must be the most erroneous first post I've ever seen mass quoted in agreement on GAF.

I've seen worse examples.

The cynicism in this thread is reactionary and uninformed if accompanied by the simple summary of 'because it happened before Nintendo'.

FTFY

Then they should be laughed at and mocked promptly. Any company giving themselves excuses with data like this isn't being honest about why their AAA title or their 3rd party title is bound to fail or could on a nintendo platform. Screw nobodies who want to have hollow arguments that aren't worth having. The list spells it out. Of nintendo's major consoles only the N64 and WiiU has nintendo had a huge bulk of all sales on the platform. Everything else is a pretty healthy split in favor of 3rd parties who are fighting amongst themselves.

Be a better list to know what 3rd party titles were selling and weren't.

And yet, this line of reasoning all started with a few publishers commenting that they can't compete with Nintendo in software sales, which then became a well-parroted narrative through the release of the GameCube.

You can laugh and mock until you're hoarse in the throat (and believe me, many people who are routinely familiar with discourse on the internet regarding Nintendo have done just that), but the fallacy will continue to outlive us. It's already lived for 10-15 years longer than it deserved.

I mean, we get this gem in a reply on a page with the data that disproves the notion...

Facts don't matter anymore, negative opinions about Nintendo's position in the market border on infallible dogma now. Even if every 3rd-party on earth released games for a Nintendo console across its lifespan, this garbage idea would pop back up once Nintendo faltered in its position again and would be explained away as "lightning in a bottle".

I agree, though, a list of what makes up that 3rd-party sales amount per console would be super insightful.

ggx2ac

Button labeling concerning devs? That's a new one. The standard is different in Japan. Not sure about Xbox but the 'cancel' and 'accept' buttons set on the PlayStation controller have X being 'cancel' and circle being 'accept'.

They should have just changed the circle button to a tick button in the west since it's obvious what the circle button meant in Japan.

I don't have much else to add.

Sadist

Arthur Gies would be proud about the button argument.

Third party games/publisher discussions on Nintendo hardware gets superweird.

E-phonk

Banned
It seems obvious take two is talking about both the conversation between nintendo and 3rd parties that might not have existed in the same way before, and the dev kits which i'm sure are better documented and coherent with current standards due to nvidia's input + major engine support with both unity and unreal on board at launch.

But doubt that would result in GTA Switch, unless if it would be to port the RAGE engine over for future development.
Mario Table Tennis, let's go

(Non joking: Civilization, nba2k, WWE and xcom are franchises that would fit Nintendo Switch imo).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Cuningas de Häme;225749742 said:

That graphs says nothing about what type of 3rd parties are Nintendo fans buying lately.

I think everybody who is sane agrees that Japonese 3rd parties are selling pretty damn well. Monster Hunter and Yo-kai being some of the best sellers.

Also Lego games for example. Just Dance and Skylanders are other examples of 3rd party games selling well and who filled nicely that blue column on Wii. Plus the plastic instruments fad.

When people are talking about Nintendo fans not buying 3rd party games they are talking about western 3rd parties and their best sellers, usually AAA games. That's the elephant in the room. That's what are people complaining about not getting on Nintendo consoles. And that's what drives the rest of the gaming market these days unfortunately. And that's what Switch has a quite small chance to change.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It is, but we *are* talking about Capcom in a world where Trump is president elect. That said, the rumor is obviously nonsense.

You mean Capcpom the company that managed to misspell it's own it's name and the name of it's games on retail boxes because spell checking is too hard. Capcom is filled with all kinds of incompetence.

Terrell

That graphs says nothing about what type of 3rd parties are Nintendo fans buying lately.

I think everybody who is sane agrees that Japonese 3rd parties are selling pretty damn well. Monster Hunter and Yo-kai being some of the best sellers.

Also Lego games for example. Just Dance and Skylanders are other examples of 3rd party games selling well and who filled nicely that blue column on Wii. Plus the plastic instruments fad.

When people are talking about Nintendo fans not buying 3rd party games they are talking about western 3rd parties and their best sellers, usually AAA games. That's the elephant in the room. That's what are people complaining about not getting on Nintendo consoles. And that's what drives the rest of the gaming market these days unfortunately. And that's what Switch has a quite small chance to change.

You mean the games that haven't appeared on Nintendo consoles except as a tiny handful of months-old ports since the days of the GameCube? The games that we have no measure of success of because they basically didn't exist? Those games?

E-phonk

Banned
You mean the games that haven't appeared on Nintendo consoles except as a tiny handful of months-old ports since the days of the GameCube? The games that we have no measure of success of because they basically didn't exist? Those games?

I would say he has a point, but the reasons why people historically didn't buy those games are plentyfull:
- not the best version graphically
- late port
- no/lacking dlc plan
- no/lacking network functionality
- less marketed (sometimes not even reviewed/announced at the same time)
- not bundled
- no fan base for the franchise on that console
- not in line with audience

People often only take that last line as a reason, while there are plenty of reasons why the few recently released 3rd party games failed to meet sales expectations, while very often the reasons have been "all of the above".
And I'm not even talking about GTA/CoD, but a simple casual game like FIFA

Well it's not surprising 3rd parties are saying this. After the WiiU and it's poor install base. The Switch is promising and a breath of fresh air. And honestly Nintendo are doing a good job with the Switch. People are excited and are not confused.

Idunno. Seems from my purview that the same people that are excited about the Switch are the same people who always buy Nintendo products. I'm not seeing a lot of new faces. Not around GAF anyway.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

What are you talking about? There were those kind of games also on Wii. At least for a while. Unfortunately the tech limitation didn't allow for more.

And they appeared at launch on Wii U. They bombed harder than anything else comparative to the install base.

We'll see how they will do on Switch. The ones that will come.

Edit: even DS got a GTA despite the tech limitations. Didn't sell that well.

Terrell

What are you talking about? There were those kind of games also on Wii. At least for a while. Unfortunately the tech limitation didn't allow for more.

Tell me about these AAA 3rd-party games on Wii. I'll wait.

And they appeared at launch on Wii U. They bombed harder than anything else comparative to the install base.

They appeared as a months-late port. As I already mentioned.

Edit: even DS got a GTA despite the tech limitations. Didn't sell that well.

Yeah, and it didn't sell all that well when it was ported, either. So perhaps the platform wasn't the problem.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I would say he has a point, but the reasons why people historically didn't buy those games are plentyfull:
- not the best version graphically

That's the limitation of the hardware, what can you do? And this doesn't excuse the performance of NFS or Deus Ex. Who were practically remasters in all but the name.

- late port

That doesn't seem to bother any other console owners. Or PC owners. It's a very localised sensitivity. Or excuse.

- no/lacking dlc plan
- no/lacking network functionality
- less marketed (sometimes not even reviewed/announced at the same time)
- not bundled

Sometimes are the tech limitations to blame, sometimes is just cutting costs. But these are things that Nintendo and 3rd parties should really be able to solve together if there would be will for it. I really hope they will get it together for Switch. It needs to get co-marketing deals and bundles at very least.

Top Bottom