• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take Two CEO "Nintendo is making a 'great effort' to support 3rd parties on Switch"

I see no reason why the Switch would get any more support than the Wii U. The Wii U was a console generation behind its competition, and you could argue that the Switch is 1.5 console generations behind its competition.

Take-Two have their sports games, so they'll support the Switch in some capacity (NBA, WWE). But I don't expect a Mafia 3 port, for instance.

Bethesda is on board. Bethesda. On a Nintendo console.

Why isn't Nintendo themselves saying this?

It doesn't make sense for a third party to say this when its Nintendo who has to convince them.

Aces&Eights

That's great but I'm buying a Switch for nintendo games, really. Christ, I would buy it just for Zelda alone at this point. It feels like the game is never coming out.

That article was published nearly 18 months before Wii U launched.

Here's what Take Two's CEO said less than six months before it launched:

"We haven't announced anything," says Zelnick on the possibility of moving the company's mature titles onto the Wii U. "I'm skeptical."

For the sake of context, Switch launches in four months. I don't think Take Two will release much outside of sports and family games, but they're definitely more optimistic about the platform publicly than they were on Wii U.

Vena

Why isn't Nintendo themselves saying this?

It doesn't make sense for a third party to say this when its Nintendo who has to convince them.

People are experiencing cognitive dissonance when it comes from the proverbial horse's mouth (this thread), you expect them to believe Nintendo? We have gold metal gymnasts in here stretching every which way, they'd bend into circles to dispute it if Nintendo said it.

People are already making up alternate history just to keep themselves calm.

Yeah, no. I don't believe for a second that the likes of EA, Take Two, or Bethesda will offer more than token support. Granted, even token support from the latter two is still more than I would have expected.

I will also be shocked if Switch gets more than a handful of direct ports of current-gen AAA titles over its lifespan, and if most of those it does get aren't from Ubisoft.

LordKano

That article was published nearly 18 months before Wii U launched.

Here's what Take Two's CEO said less than six months before it launched:

"We haven't announced anything," says Zelnick on the possibility of moving the company's mature titles onto the Wii U. "I'm skeptical."

For the sake of context, Switch launches in four months. I don't think Take Two will release much outside of sports and family games, but they're definitely more optimistic about the platform publicly than they were on Wii U.

Thanks for the link, yeah that's definitely better than the Wii U situation.

Delio

Meh We will see. I'm not expecting more than the Japanese third parties that are there and indies. But hey maybe they will surprise us.

I see no reason why the Switch would get any more support than the Wii U. The Wii U was a console generation behind its competition, and you could argue that the Switch is 1.5 console generations behind its competition.

Take-Two have their sports games, so they'll support the Switch in some capacity (NBA, WWE). But I don't expect a Mafia 3 port, for instance.
Switch has a modern features and it's also the 3DS's successor. Instead of just being the worst version with *maybe* some control gimmick you end up with a version that's portable which should be a selling point to some.
Again, I wouldn't expect anything amazing but better than Wii U is easy.

LordKano

I have faith that this will be a good JRPG console, and of course it will have great Nintendo games.

I hope Namco will release their Tales Of games on it, starting with Berseria. That's the only JRPG franchise I miss on Nintendo console (fortunately they've been releasing them on Steam recently).

Nairume

Banned
I feel like we could be years into the Switch being strongly supported by third parties and we will still get people insisting nothing is different and that support will evaporate minute now.

Talk's cheap. It always has been leading up to Nintendo hardware launches.

I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible but it's been the same dog-and-pony show the last twenty years now.

Fucking Stockholm syndrome at this point.

3rd party support at launch that slowly fades away within the first year. Same thing that happened with WII U. They had games like Mass Effect and Batman and Zombi at launch and within a year the 3rd party support fell off a cliff because the install base wasn't there.

FZZ

Banned
Anth0ny's terrible ass first post getting every thinking Take Two has said shit like this before lmao

3rd party support at launch that slowly fades away within the first year. Same thing that happened with WII U. They had games like Mass Effect and Batman and Zombi at launch and within a year the 3rd party support fell off a cliff because the install base wasn't there.

A year? Try, like, five months.

Yeah unless RDR2 shows up i don't believe it.

Well, Take-Two being excited and Rockstar being excited are two different things. Many got really excited about E3 this year because before it started Strauss Zelnick (TT CEO) said that they'd be there in a big way. Some took that to mean that it was time for RDR2's announcement. But in reality it meant that they setup a huge Mafia 3 booth. Rockstar kinda operates in their own world even though TT owns them.

But like I said before, there's no game Nintendo could announce at the Switch event that would be a bigger deal for them than RDR2. It obviously wouldn't be exclusive in any way, but it would be a huge signal of just how much things have changed for Nintendo when it comes to third party developers. It's obviously the biggest third party game set to release next year. Can they secure it for the platform?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Talk is cheap

Same song and dance every launch. I'll believe it when I see it.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like the key difference is here that it's a 3rd party company saying this whereas in the past it's generally been Nintendo saying that they're really supporting 3rd parties.

Just as importantly, also because the target demographic for those franchises wasn't there. But still, I see no reason yet to think that things won't play out similarly, even though the hardware is bound to sell better.

Oersted

If you really think Switch will do as bad Wii U...

shira

Call me when GTAV or RDR2 make it on the system.

PhKb9Km.jpg

They didn't say anything about 3rd party current AAA support. Just 3rd party support.

#FingercrossedUndertale&StardewValley

If Switch has as low sales as WiiU of course, but it seems Switch has a much better starting point in every sense.

If you really think Switch will do as bad Wii U...

In terms of hardware sales, almost certainly not.

In terms of catering to the Sony/MS demographic necessary for continued support from major Western third parties, I honestly don't see it doing much better. I don't think that many people are really clamoring for portable versions of the same games they can already play on PS4/XB1, even feature-complete ones.

"Unprecedented Partnerships with Nintendo for the Wii U"

Yeah, don't read too much into this. I'm pretty sure there's a Nintendo with third-parties cycle.

Nintendo announces new hardware -> Third parties get excited -> Release a handful of games at launch along with some ports -> Nintendo does nothing to promote or assist with third party development -> Devs leave one by one -> Nintendo is stuck as the only developer.

Every single console since the N64.

Anth0ny

"Unprecedented Partnerships with Nintendo for the Wii U"

Yeah, don't read too much into this. I'm pretty sure there's a Nintendo with third-parties cycle.

Nintendo announces new hardware -> Third parties get excited -> Release a handful of games at launch along with some ports -> Nintendo does nothing to promote or assist with third party development -> Devs leave one by one -> Nintendo is stuck as the only developer.

Every single console since the N64.

Basically. I don't think Switch will be the platform that breaks the cycle for them.

Just because the wording is slightly different slightly closer to launch doesn't mean shit. Third parties will put their usual test games on Nintendo, they fail, good bye third party support on Nintendo platform.

To be honest, the more I think on it, the more I wonder if some third parties are just excited by the possibility of being able to have their games on portable devices with (presumably) enough oomph to back it up. TakeTwo would be acutely aware of the significance of this, given their troubles with the Borderlands 2 port for PSVita. Thus if the Switch provides a portable that is powerful enough for their needs, even if still needing a downgrade from XBO/PS4 graphics, then yeah I could imagine them being receptive to it.

Or of course it could be PR talk and initial hype, but that won't pan out as the Switch is actually out on the market for a few years. We'll see.

The PR drivel makes us think that it confirms their full support on the Switch, probably at launch with some of their already released, but it's pretty much routine for 3RD party pubs before a console launch.

Nintendo would be all for them to not just bring their sports titles, but the BIG IP's and end that dodgy relationship with R*, first off. No more prototypes only and ease up on content censorship.

GTAV is NOT like GTAIV from a marketing standpoint. It's become, both multiple times bigger than most IP's out there today and a platform manufacturer's feast for PR for their machine. R* will have the same effect with marketing RDR2.

foltzie1

Same song and dance every launch.

I'll believe it when I see it.

At the very least its in a different key. Bethesda of all companies is saying polite things.

There is certainly some room for measured optimism, but yeah, past performance and all that.

Neff

We've gone from From Software representatives laughing at the idea of participating on Nintendo to.... From Software participating on Nintendo.

Take Two and Bethesda gushing (and making games)? Clearly a significant corner has been turned.

So? When it comes down to it, it's the consumers who have been passing on most third party games on Nintendo platforms since the Gamecube. Nintendo can't do anything about that.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
"...which is why we are supporting Switch with GTA 3."

I really don't expect third-party support. I'd like to be proven wrong.

MisterR

People are experiencing cognitive dissonance when it comes from the proverbial horse's mouth (this thread), you expect them to believe Nintendo? We have gold metal gymnasts in here stretching every which way, they'd bend into circles to dispute it if Nintendo said it.

People are already making up alternate history just to keep themselves calm.

Took me less than a minute to google game developers praising wii u to find multiple articles with the likes or Epic, Gearbox, Ubisoft, Irrational, ect praising the wii u. Dev's always say nice things about Nintendo. They seldom actually deliver games to the platform.

Top Bottom