• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take Two CEO "Nintendo is making a 'great effort' to support 3rd parties on Switch"

I'm going to wait till January, when Nintendo releases more info about the Switch, to make a judgement on whether I'll purchase it or not. I want to see what titles from 3rd party developers are bringing to the Switch, and hopefully its the big AAA name titles into the long run for the Switch.

Didn't they say this about the Wii U? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Karl Slatoff (the person quoted above) on the Wii U

It is an HD platform that has the processing power to develop a compelling triple experience. If it takes hold of the market, that is good for us. So from that perspective, we are very excited about that.

Strauss Zelnick (TT CEO) on the Wii U

While Take-Two will make sports and family titles for the Wii U, its bigger core franchises have been notably absent from the list of partners. And that seems unlikely to change anytime soon.

"We haven't announced anything," says Zelnick on the possibility of moving the company's mature titles onto the Wii U. "I'm skeptical."

Calm Mind

Everyone should be interested in what they're saying about the Switch just for the possibility of a portable GTAV. A possibility that is very high.

RibMan

It's insane that third parties seem not just content but are going out of their way to say how impressed they are with Nintendo right now

https://youtu.be/QPY05olaMkk?t=1m52s

The Switch could be a complete reversal in third-party support and relations. However, there is a long documented history of developers not acting on their praise of a Nintendo platform, and I think it's important to ask developers if they're actually going to support a Nintendo platform or if they're just interested in scoring temporary cool points with Nintendo's audience.

Alienous

To be honest, the more I think on it, the more I wonder if some third parties are just excited by the possibility of being able to have their games on portable devices with (presumably) enough oomph to back it up. TakeTwo would be acutely aware of the significance of this, given their troubles with the Borderlands 2 port for PSVita. Thus if the Switch provides a portable that is powerful enough for their needs, even if still needing a downgrade from XBO/PS4 graphics, then yeah I could imagine them being receptive to it.

Or of course it could be PR talk and initial hype, but that won't pan out as the Switch is actually out on the market for a few years. We'll see.

I really don't know that enough people care how much 'oomph' there is behind portable games. Besides 'oomph' is relative - the Switch will probably be to the PS4/XBONE what the Vita was to the PS3/360, and that wasn't enough for the Vita.

And last-gen ports are sort of drying up, so supporting the Switch seems like it'll be an effort that requires a significant investment of development resources (for example porting games like Mafia 3 or Watch Dogs 2 to it - unless Nintendo discovered magic those games aren't going to run on a handheld anytime soon).

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
It's promising but I'm honestly not expecting better than 3DS. Hopefully Nintendo and the other devs put forth an effort but it's not what I'm buying the system for.

That would be miles ahead of what was done in the past on Wii U at least. 3DS has had solid support if memory serves me correctly.

zelas

While I agree, Bethesda of all people being on board with the Switch has to mean they are at least doing SOMETHING right this time around.
Providing hardware on par enough to get ports of old bethesda games at launch?

j0hnnix

Can someone explain how third party games will be ported once said developers begin to develop games for PS4 Pro and Scorpio? Will developers finally go the pc route to allow for visual settings ? I just don't see how the switch can be on par with these systems and keep third party developers making games for them.

Can someone explain how third party games will be ported once said developers begin to develop games for PS4 Pro and Scorpio? Will developers finally go the pc route to allow for visual settings ? I just don't see how the switch can be on par with these systems and keep third party developers making games for them.
They still have to make games for PS4 and Xbone as the base versions.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus

Base version Xbox One/S should still get most 3rd party games moving forward and as far power is concerned Switch is rumored to be close enough to XBO that ports shouldn't be an issue.

j0hnnix

They still have to make games for PS4 and Xbone as the base versions.

Base version Xbox One/S should still get most 3rd party games moving forward and as far power is concerned Switch is rumored to be close enough to XBO that ports shouldn't be an issue.

Ok, I'm just worried about smoke and mirrors. Wii U left a sore spot for me. I'm interested in the portability which is exciting but don't want to invest if third party support dies in 2018.

And NX weaker than both.

Herein lies the issue. A lot of games struggle to maintain good framerates on PS4 and Xbox One, let alone a console that is significantly weaker. Development tools can only be so efficient. I expect Switch's third party support to be better than Wii U, but that's not difficult. Having said that, I expect it to be very deliberate, rather than Switch getting most of the third party games that Xbox One and PS4 get.

these words will have more power when they release great ports on the thing that shows commitment

I would not mind Red Dead on a train ride, my trains have power outlets

Yeesh, people in this thread do sure have awful memories. These particular companies (Take Two, Bethesda, FROM) being bullish on Nintendo hardware <6 months before launch is actually unprecedented.

Healthy skepticism is fine and all, but this is not the "same song and dance" when it's totally different people saying totally different things.

We'll find out what kind of launch support this will get in January.

Foxix Von

I wish I had a dollar every time I heard this rhetoric around a Nintendo hardware launch. &#128514;

This is going to be it guys! For real this time! It's not like the other times. I swear, It'll be different this time!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
When did any developer say that Nintendo was doing everything it could to support 3rd parties? Especially a dev as notable as Take Two?

They didnt - but people who dont care or follow Nintendo love to act like they know whats up all the time. Thats why you get the first post in this thread and a bunch of people just quoting it.

Cant even be mad about it...

danm999

I'll remain skeptical expecting the worst and hoping for the best. We are talking about Nintendo and third parties after all.

lenovox1

Nintendo seems to be making the right steps, but unfortunately the Nintendo ecosystem is stuck in a "Customers don't buy third party games->Third parties ignore Nintendo->Customers don't buy third party games" cycle. Typically something drastic needs to happen to break out of feedback loops like this.

That wasn't true with the Wii.

Top Bottom