• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two Reports Earnings: Borderlands 2 = 8.5M, NBA 5M, GTA V = 32.5 million

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So literally all they have is their annualised sport franchises, DLC's, collections/rereleases (GOTY's/DLC filled editions/bundled games) and Evolve.
Wow, Borderlands 3 this year anyone? They must have something coming.
WRT Borderlands 2 Vita I'm fairly certain it was being published by Sony, Gearbox own the IP.

Take-Two has pretty bad production line management, so if their actual line-up wasn't hugely different I wouldn't be too surprised.

That's why market cap wise, despite incredible results for individual games, they're still a relatively small company compared to the other big Western publishers.

They lose money most years despite results like this. :lol

Borderlands 2 is now the highest-selling title in 2K’s history with more than 8.5 million units sold-in to date.

Such great news. Easily one of the best games of last gen. Hopefully they will say something about BL3 at E3 this year.

GTA V SOLD 32.5 MILLION?

God damn! This is without an Xbox One, PS4, and PC version! Holy hell, is GTA V already one of the best selling games of all time?

Derrick01

Banned
NBA didn't deserve any of those sales. Since they tacked on a lot of the bullshit after people bought the game on PS4/XB1 hopefully this bites them in the ass with this year's game.

So literally all they have is their annualised sport franchises, DLC's, collections/rereleases (GOTY's/DLC filled editions/bundled games) and Evolve.
That is just their announced future release schedule. I'm guessing that they will have other releases that are not yet announced. *cough*GTAVForNextGen*cough*

Take-Two has pretty bad production line management, so if their actual line-up wasn't hugely different I wouldn't be too surprised.

That's why market cap wise, despite incredible results for individual games, they're still a relatively small company compared to the other big Western publishers.

This has generally been true. However, Zelnick is promising a profits for the foreseeable future. It remains to see if he can deliver on this.

New IPs incoming:

Gotta love Take Two. Best publisher out there.

I fully agree.

They are really the only ones who give their game studios long to really long dev cycles to make some amazing stuff, and aren't afraid to move the release date for better game quality. Unlike Ubi or EA, with their short dev cyles and fixed release dates.

Alienous

That's so many copies.

For every financial dud, they have GTA. And they deserve it.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Spec Ops: The Line ... good games that they allow to bake the necessary amount. They might not sell, but they are good games because of Take-Two.

Do you think the fact that Rockstar seem to be moving towards having less projects going at once (San Diego worked on GTA:V for instance) might slow down their schedule? Or might that just be a one time instance due to the size of GTA:V.
While they employ a lot of people, the number of games coming out of Take Two (when compared with other publishers) is indeed tiny. I guess poor production line management does make sense.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do you think the fact that Rockstar seem to be moving towards having less projects going at once (San Diego worked on GTA:V for instance) might slow down their schedule? Or might that just be a one time instance due to the size of GTA:V.
While they employ a lot of people, the number of games coming out of Take Two (when compared with other publishers) is indeed tiny. I guess poor production line management does make sense.

Everything from GTA to BioShock to XCOM TPS to even small projects like The Darkness 2 and Spec Ops: The Line take 5-7 years at Take-Two.

It's a huge problem for them cost wise because while a huge success pays major dividends, they lose a shit ton spending $50+ million on something like Spec Ops.

Daemul

Yep, and that´s shows very clear Bethesda hasn`t given up on the IP and Dishonored 2 is definitely coming.

I love that. Really like Dishonored and both DLC episodes.

I managed to get the Dishonored GOTY Edition for £17, well worth the money, amazing game.

Anyway, congrats to Take-Two, please don't start bleeding money again.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I saw the future release image, and read Civ 5 and got excited thinking we had another expansion/dlc on the way. :(

Please port GTA V to PC soon. Thanks.

Purkake4

Banned
Future lineup:

6RJD9Vs.png
Year of the re-release.

I saw the future release image, and read Civ 5 and got excited thinking we had another expansion/dlc on the way. :(

Please port GTA V to PC soon. Thanks.

I bet we'll start hearing rumblings for Civ VI in a year or so. Not based on anything but hope, though.

Do they give numbers for Civ V? I'm curious as to what that sold.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So far with GTA 5 they've only mentioned GTA Online content and 'substantial' single player expansions.

Yeah generally with microtransaction online you give the content for free and make bank on the currencies.

Judging by the OP of the thread, GTA Online's microtransactions so far are very profitable for them.

geordiemp

You would think that looking at current software sales charts, that there is a massive demand for next gen games on Ps4 / One..

So why are there no listings going forward on Next gen platforms ??

If they only release on 360 / ps3 in 2014 will it hurt them ?

BigDug13

How is Borderlands so big?

JESUS.

There are a lot of shooters, but very few with 4 player co-op campaigns. Add to that the randomized loot, class active abilities, skill trees, etc and it's not something that you can find very often. Destiny seems to be taking that genre to the next level though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This has generally been true. However, Zelnick is promising a profits for the foreseeable future. It remains to see if he can deliver on this.

Well prior to this year they promised the last two years would be profitable and messed up both of those, so I'm not going to overly hold my breath yet.

That said they're closing studios these days so they might be getting more serious about cost control.

You would think that looking at current software sales charts, that there is a massive demand for next gen games on Ps4 / One..

So why are there no listings going forward on Next gen platforms ??

If they only release on 360 / ps3 in 2014 will it hurt them ?

I personally think they will release Bioshock Infinite + DLCs and GTA 5 + story DLC on next gen this year.

jkanownik

Yeah generally with microtransaction online you give the content for free and make bank on the currencies.

Judging by the OP of the thread, GTA Online's microtransactions so far are very profitable for them.

I'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion. They just detailed the digital drivers and mentioned a ton of titles. They increased their mobile offerings and had increased full game digital download sales.

Everything from GTA to BioShock to XCOM TPS to even small projects like The Darkness 2 and Spec Ops: The Line take 5-7 years at Take-Two.

It's a huge problem for them cost wise because while a huge success pays major dividends, they lose a shit ton spending $50+ million on something like Spec Ops.

That sounds a little messy, I've always noticed the large gap between announcement and release on their games too.
Anyone surprised by lack of infinite mention?

BigDug13

Year of the re-release.

They're just releasing a list of announced games. Since there's not really any special reveal required for re-releases, we already see all of them. I'm sure we're going to see quite a few announcements that are not on this list.

There are a lot of shooters, but very few with 4 player co-op campaigns. Add to that the randomized loot, class active abilities, skill trees, etc and it's not something that you can find very often. Destiny seems to be taking that genre to the next level though.

The humor in BL is also a huge part of it. No other game does humor anywhere close to as good as BLs does.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion. They just detailed the digital drivers and mentioned a ton of titles. They increased their mobile offerings and had increased full game digital download sales.

I was assuming they listed them in order of profit driving, and most of their full game download price points these days are very low due to how long ago they released, but I could definitely be wrong.

That sounds a little messy, I've always noticed the large gap between announcement and release on their games too.
Anyone surprised by lack of infinite mention?

No I always felt it would kind of underperform their LTD expectations for a game in dev that long.

belushy

Banned
Nothing about NFL 2k... still they said they have a few more titles to announce later in the year. Still some hope, I guess...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If they didn't change the graphics it would have never been as big as it was. Brilliant decision to make the switch at the last minute.

Gearbox also co-funds the games and owns the IP so I imagine they get a pretty good revenue share there, which is why they have so much money to throw around lately.

Top Bottom