• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two Reports Earnings: Borderlands 2 = 8.5M, NBA 5M, GTA V = 32.5 million

Great numbers. Now give me Top Spin 5.

image.php

Good luck with that. I wonder if that product line still even exists. :-/

dex3108

We want players to be engaged in GTA Online and we listen them. Yeap that's why heists are not released yet.

But what to expect from Conference Call if not corporate answers.

We want players to be engaged in GTA Online and we listen them. Yeap that's why heists are not released yet.

I don't even bother listening. All they do is repeat what is in the press release and dodge questions. You'd be lucky if they they let anything new squeak out.

Quentyn

They won't say how many of the 70% that tried GTA Online have actually bought microtransactions. Not really surprising.

BigDug13

Borderlands 2 sold enough to warrant a sequel right?

Most definitely. They sold 8.5m copies of the game but they also had 4 decent sized expansions as well as 2 character classes and loads of other micro-content. It was a megahit for 2K and I'm sure they're working on the sequel with full blessing.

BigDug13

Funny you mention and even capitalize Conference Call in a thread that mentions Borderlands 2. ;p

400px-Borderlands2conferencecall.jpg

Adry9

They just asked them about GTA V on PC and they said that they have nothing to say about that at the moment.

dex3108

Yeap R* is too big to be controlled by T2. If it is up to T2 i am sure that GTA V for PC would be announced long time ago.

Hoje0308

Banned
Holy shit, those GTA numbers are astounding! Safe to say they'll release a Game of the Year edition for all consoles and PC this fall, or will they see the market as being saturated and want to move on?

I don't know. I asked the guy who gave me the numbers, but he never answered. I think he realized that he gave me some data he can't reveal. Or the fact the website I works for is blacklisted by Take Two.

I guess it includes the Complete Edition, which could explain how the lifetime sales for GTA IV went from 25 million to 32 million, but I'm not sure for the standalone.

[...]
Take-Two deployed $276.8 million to repurchase 16.24 million shares of its common stock, including 12.02 million shares repurchased from the Icahn Group.
This brings tears to my eye. So glad to see them try to alleviate themselves from the Icahn group. I thought it was the end of Take-Two when Ben Feder left and I thought it was going to allow for them to takeover/ dump the company.

BigDug13

Holy shit, those GTA numbers are astounding! Safe to say they'll release a Game of the Year edition for all consoles and PC this fall, or will they see the market as being saturated and want to move on?

Have they even announced DLC yet? GoTY Editions usually come with all of the DLC content included. If it takes them another year or more to put out all the episodes they want to release for GTAV, I don't see a GOTY edition coming that quickly.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The humor in BL is also a huge part of it. No other game does humor anywhere close to as good as BLs does.

Borderlands humor is generally simplistic. So yeah I'd say game like the Lucasarts adventure games or the Mario RPGs are much better at humor.

Most definitely. They sold 8.5m copies of the game but they also had 4 decent sized expansions as well as 2 character classes and loads of other micro-content. It was a megahit for 2K and I'm sure they're working on the sequel with full blessing.

I'm sure Sega was happy with their investment. ;)

Hoje0308

Banned
Have they even announced DLC yet? GoTY Editions usually come with all of the DLC content included. If it takes them another year or more to put out all the episodes they want to release for GTAV, I don't see a GOTY edition coming that quickly.

I don't know. I was waiting (read: hoping) for a PS4 version since I just couldn't deal with another open-world game running at 25 fps with a sub-HD resolution. As a result, I'm a bit ignorant about content being released post release. The overall point remains intact, however. Will T2 care to release another version (Definitve?) when sales are already this high? I think you could make an argument for either case.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Man I don't understand the appeal of Borderlands.
Or GTA anymore for that matter.

Do you really not understand the appeal or does the game just not appeal to you? I think these are fundamentally different statements.

BigDug13

List all your favorite games and I'm sure I'll find one or two on that list that I also won't understand the appeal of. I don't really see the point in making posts like this to bash other people's gaming tastes.

Bog

Junior Ace
I assume the BL2 number includes PS+ downloads. It's also been basically free on PC for a year.

Fjordson

I'm somewhat dumb when it comes to the business side of gaming, but it seems like this is all pretty good for 2K

edit: Take-Two rather, not 2K

Borderlands surprises me a little. I don't see talked about a ton, yet there's clearly a large hardcore fanbase out there.

An FPS with tons of loot, wacky humour, and a mountain of unique guns that plays well in a co-op setting, and an open-world game with a long single-player story that lets you run wild around a realistic (somewhat) and detailed recreation of Southern California? Borderlands and GTA appeal feels pretty obvious to me. Not that everyone loves them, but it doesn't surprise me that some do.

BigDug13

I'm somewhat dumb when it comes to the business side of gaming, but it seems like this is all pretty good for 2K.

Borderlands surprises me a little. I don't see talked about a ton, yet there's clearly a large hardcore fanbase out there.

Well it came out 1.5 years ago. It was talked about quite a bit near release and they tend to do their campaign DLC pretty well as far as value.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I assume the BL2 number includes PS+ downloads. It's also been basically free on PC for a year.

I don't know, would they be able to call those sold-in?

I'm finally playing Borderlands 2 via PS+ and having quite a lot of fun. They certainly have my interest in a sequel, and perhaps the DLC depending on whether I'm craving more after the main game.

Do you really not understand the appeal or does the game just not appeal to you? I think these are fundamentally different statements.

Some backstory; my friends are currently annoying me into doing a play through with them, so I can't help but feel a little antagonistic towards the series right now.
That said though... I really do not get it.

Crazy to me that this isn't a bigger thread. Gta5 sells through 32 million+ copies and only two pages? Ridiculous. How many games in history have even sold that many copies, let alone within a few months? Crazy sales, well deserved sales and really should be discussed more.

To ask again from earlier in the thread, what is gta4s Ltd sold through numbers and do we know how much gta4 sold in a similar time frame to 5?

Fjordson

To ask again from earlier in the thread, what is gta4s Ltd sold through numbers and do we know how much gta4 sold in a similar time frame to 5?
GTA IV is a little over 25 million sold for its lifetime. From skimming old news stories, it looks like GTA V passed that after about six weeks when it was at 29 million shipped (so maybe around 26-27 million sold at that point).

Top Bottom