• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World new Video

ivysaur12

Banned
HK-47 said:
OMG SMG AND BRAWL HAVE TEH CIRCLE SHADOWS!

Ah those were the days

Those aren't the first things I notice when I see screenshots of SMG and Brawl. They are here. That being said, it looks fluid, and should be pretty decent.

Jiggy

A unison attack between Emil and a monster at 2:25? Hmm... Interesting, I suppose.

Ironically enough, though, the thing this trailer most leaves me wondering about is what's up with the Haruhi mention at 1:03. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jiggy37 said:
A unison attack between Emil and a monster at 2:25? Hmm... Interesting, I suppose.

Ironically enough, though, the thing this trailer most leaves me wondering about is what's up with the Haruhi mention at 1:03. :lol

Secret character, that unlocks when Innocence gets released in NA

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Bit disappointed on how the world map works now, hopefully the dungeons make up for it.

At the very least, the battle load times seem to be almost non-existent.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Drkirby said:
Bit disappointed on how the world map works now, hopefully the dungeons make up for it.

At the very least, the battle load times seem to be almost non-existent.

Is losing that awful world map from Symphonia really that bad? Especially considering load times you would think this would be considered an upgrade

Jiggy

I'm not really hung up about the streamlined world map. I might even go so far as to say that I prefer it this way, mainly because it'll make subsequent replays quicker than they would have been otherwise; I was annoyed with the world map by the time I hit my third run through Symphonia, never mind the three following that.
Of course, there's still an unanswered question of whether this game contains any strong built-in incentive to replay, as Symphonia did...

icecream

Public Health Threat
Jiggy37 said:
Like he said, the Suzumiya Haruhi game (the Wii one probably) also uses motion capturing like how KoTR uses to animate the expressions and stuff.

fresquito

Jiggy37 said:
Of course, there's still an unanswered question of whether this game contains any strong built-in incentive to replay, as Symphonia did...
Well, I don't consider that point that crucial, given that Symphonia lasted some good 40-50 hours. If this game last this much, I won't complain.

Jiggy

icecream said:
Like he said, the Suzumiya Haruhi game (the Wii one probably) also uses motion capturing like how KoTR uses to animate the expressions and stuff.
Ah, that would make sense...

fresquito said:
Well, I don't consider that point that crucial, given that Symphonia lasted some good 40-50 hours. If this game last this much, I won't complain.
I wouldn't complain either. (And I took 79:23 on my first Symphonia file, although admittedly a lot of that was Grade grinding. :D) I'm just saying that if there's no incentive to replay, then one significant advantage to this point-and-click map would be lost.

TunaLover

It seems they will use the same OST. I was expecting different and more orchestrated music. Anyway, TOS OST was great.

TunaLover said:
It seems they will use the same OST. I was expecting different and more orchestrated music. Anyway, TOS OST was great.

Are you sure? I swore the that the battle theme had a different 'mix' to it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
king zell said:
new gameplay footage with widescreen and developer talk

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=orwC6rekkVE

1.) Damn, those battle load times are blazing.

2.) What was that side-step move at 2:18?

3.) I'm really, really glad that they're not just phoning this game in. I think it's looking great.

HK-47 said:
Secret character, that unlocks when Innocence gets released in NA

Every time somebody mentions Innocence, I kill a puppy.

Please, think of the puppies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ZealousD said:
1.) Damn, those battle load times are blazing.

2.) What was that side-step move at 2:18?

3.) I'm really, really glad that they're not just phoning this game in. I think it's looking great.

Every time somebody mentions Innocence, I kill a puppy.

Please, think of the puppies.

Those puppies are fucked

Avrum

So was that Sorceror's Ring usage when that mushroom caught fire? If so, relegating it to Wii remote use might make for some interesting puzzles considering you're usually left with only affecting things within your direct line of sight. I also wonder if you can name your little monster helpers? If I had that lion/pup thing its name would be SIMBA! :p

Edit: Oh snapz! Been looking for a full version of this song in some form:

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZVs8mEMGgw&feature=related

fresquito

ivysaur12 said:
No, I do, and I remember Abyss. I just thought that we'd be beyond this point by now.
And we're. There's a really big step in terms of animation and modeling from ToS, which was pretty rough to begin with. In fact I think the bad animation was something that hurt the experience pretty badly, since the cut-scenes didn't give the emotional impact they should.

loadsa laughs at the end :lol

game is day one for me, and I'm actually loving the new map, much better than the 3d one in TOS which was sorta pain to navigate

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
flipping_heck said:
Friggign hate the world map still, damn it, i want to explore!!

otherwise, great trailer, i like indeed :)

Load up Tales of Symphonia.

90% of your problem solved right there. ;)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
flipping_heck said:
Friggign hate the world map still, damn it, i want to explore!!

otherwise, great trailer, i like indeed :)
I can't say I'll miss it as much in a Tales of game after Symphonia and Abyss.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope the first part isn't the complete intro. Talk about boring.

batbeg

I thought the "point" of the world map was to play to Wii strengths and use the pointer? It just looked like they selected the dungeon off a list? Not that I care anyway, I agree the world map was a pain in the ass, and now I don't have to feel any incentive to play through the shitty excuse of giving you a bad camera or feeling like I have to look for treasures.

I do like how the sorcerer's ring is used though, hopefully they make for some interesting puzzles or uses with that.

And having a side-step would be extremely badass, but I think Adumaha may be right that it's just him landing from an attack. Not too sure, seems a weird way to land from an attack.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
If the transition speed between the map, dungeon, and battles are as smooth as the video suggests, then this is going to be one silky rpg experience that feel like a throwback to pre-cd jrpg's. :)

MechaX

grandjedi6 said:
Is losing that awful world map from Symphonia really that bad? Especially considering load times you would think this would be considered an upgrade

No kidding (Although, I'd chose Symphonia's world map over the ridiculous mess that was Abyss's world map). Hell, when was the last time an RPG did a world map right anyway?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MechaX said:
No kidding (Although, I'd chose Symphonia's world map over the ridiculous mess that was Abyss's world map). Hell, when was the last time an RPG did a world map right anyway?
Super Mario RPG's overworld remains my favorite.

For some odd reason (or maybe not odd) I dislike world maps where I can't explore, and the locations and areas are just selected, look at Tales of the World and this game for examples.

Yes, i know the world map in ToS was bad, but i rather prefer that than how this game is going about.

But still, this game does show a lot of promise, new characters with some nice adjustments to the battle system which i welcome with open arms.

Hell, when was the last time an RPG did a world map right anyway?

Chrono Trigger did it right :) No need for random battles (iirc) and allowed me to explore towns and places whenever and however i wanted.

But recently, FFXII impressed me the most, by effectively getting rid of the world map and just made crossing between towns like a massive adventure experience (yes I know, it does get annoying after a while)

Prax

Yah, they stretched the FMVs for the widescreen format.. :(

On a positive note, I like how Marta's hair moves when she moves around! The animations are much better than what I remember of Symphonia and Abyss. I'm wondering about how multiplayer would work though. I EXPECT the camera to zoom out so that all players are on screen, but I don't remember if they did that for Abyss or not, and it would be really annoying if they didn't.

Now that I've seen Rune Factory Frontier, that game is my most anticipated RPG on the Wii.

I'm still dying to see what Swords of Legendia is all about!

I'll get Symphonia 2 is reviews are really good.

ivysaur12

Banned
fresquito said:
And we're. There's a really big step in terms of animation and modeling from ToS, which was pretty rough to begin with. In fact I think the bad animation was something that hurt the experience pretty badly, since the cut-scenes didn't give the emotional impact they should.

I agree, and I'm glad they're using motion capture, but it just seems to be something so simple that it really should be done, at least for the main characters.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MechaX said:
DQVIII's overworld was awesome.

fresquito

ivysaur12 said:
I agree, and I'm glad they're using motion capture, but it just seems to be something so simple that it really should be done, at least for the main characters.
Yep, there's no excuso for using circle shadows, until they somehow thought using real shadows would hurt the general image (since real shadows are rarely used in anime).

Top Bottom