• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World new Video

GamerSoul

FateBreaker said:
battle theme definitely sounded a little different to me

Yeah it did. I didn't really expect to get the chance to use U. Attacks with the monsters. Looks really good and the theme song has already grown on me. heh

Firestorm

Availability: This item will be released on September 17, 2008. Pre-order now! Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca. Gift-wrap available.
Placeholder? 39.99 btw for Canadians who wanna pre-order there.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
lovely animations. about friggin time namco figured out an ARPG needs better animations. behold, gaf, this is the true future of fighters.

Jiggy

blu said:
behold, gaf, this is the true future of fighters.
After Dead or Alive's descent, Street Fighter's 3D models, and Soul Calibur's combo punch addition of Star Wars and subtraction of clothing, I can only hope so.

batbeg

momolicious said:
why is the main character fighting loyd? Is loyd turned bad or the main character?

This one. If you want some basic spoilers which they've decided are small enough to mention in previews and interviews, which sound pretty fucking big and I'm a bit pissed about knowing,
Lloyd burns down the protagonists' village or something along those lines. He kills both of the protagonists parents I believe? Or they die in the shifting of Tetha'alla and Sylvarant or something.

blu

momolicious said:
why is the main character fighting loyd? Is loyd turned bad or the main character?
it's lloyd. moreover that a previous hero turned bad is definitely a first in the series.

Jiggy

I doubt those spoilers are that big... I'm guessing they're probably beginning-of-the-game stuff that's laid out just to provide a reason for the characters to go on a journey to begin with. Could be very wrong, of course!

AceBandage said:
You'll just have to play to find out, now won't you?
Or wait 20 days for the Japanese release and then look around the Internet for spoilers. I wonder if I'll be able to resist.

batbeg

Jiggy37 said:
I doubt those spoilers are that big... I'm guessing they're probably beginning-of-the-game stuff that's laid out just to provide a reason for the characters to go on a journey to begin with. Could be very wrong, of course!

I don't doubt it. And I already know
they'll create some lame excuse for why Lloyd isn't really evil, like he was brainwashed or something. That they're so open about this "twist" makes it obvious it won't be permanent... and, you know, it's a Tales game.
But it still would have been nice to have been surprised at the beginning of the game about this :(

I also wonder if I'll be able to resist the spoilers. I don't particularly care about the story in the games, to be honest, but I still appreciate being hit by it when I play it.

batbeg

Drkirby said:
I will be surprised if that game ever comes up again.

By the way, this is still coming apparently, but isn't a Tales game (?).

1UP: Back when the Wii was first announced, Namco announced a game called "Swords of Legendia". Is this game still in development? What can you tell us about it, and when will we be seeing more of it?

TG: I'm in charge of that. We're working on it now, development is proceeding. That isn't a Tales game, though.

Or something. Who the hell knows?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Those aren't even spoilers guys, it was one of the first things mentioned about the game. Basically after the 2 worlds united in one a bunch of shit happened what you would expect by 2 worlds magically uniting --- climate disasters, changed maps, random deaths. So the main character, in his infinite stupidity, blames Lloyd and thus we have the start of a exceedingly pointless story

Blackjack

grandjedi6 said:
Those aren't even spoilers guys, it was one of the first things mentioned about the game. Basically after the 2 worlds united in one a bunch of shit happened what you would expect by 2 worlds magically uniting --- climate disasters, changed maps, random deaths. So the main character, in his infinite stupidity, blames Lloyd and thus we have the start of a exceedingly pointless story
So, what's the context of the other Symphonia characters joining you?

Main Character: I'm going to KILL Lloyd!
Colette/Genis/Raine/Sheena/Zelos/Presea/Regal: ...Yeah, okay, sounds good. Let's go.

Sagitario

080609_2_1.jpg

080609_2_2.jpg

080609_2_3.jpg

:D

Joule

Blackjack said:
So, what's the context of the other Symphonia characters joining you?

Main Character: I'm going to KILL Lloyd!
Colette/Genis/Raine/Sheena/Zelos/Presea/Regal: ...Yeah, okay, sounds good. Let's go.

Plausible.

Lloyd turned evil after he was forced into a shitty game called Soul Calibur Legends. He comes back super pissed, and slaughters kittens.

Very nice ! Anticipation rising :D .

blu said:
so which kind sould will translate the recent blog update?

Well, besides a few anecdotes about the game's productions (i.e. the "master up" of the game is ready), the main topic of this entry is actually the "Kick" which is used in battle. For example, Emil, despite being a sword user, is able to do a roundhouse kick to hit the surrounding enemies. Same for Marta, whose kicking animation is a bit different, but has the same effect. There's also Regal, who can hit a single enemy with a 3 hits combo kick, ending with an jumping knee kick. Hell, even the mage Refill can perform a kick.
In fact, I think the pictures in the article pretty much speak for themselves :
Emil :

080609_1_1.jpg

Marta :

080609_1_2.jpg

Regal :

080609_1_3.jpg

In the end, he insists on how especially smooth the battle moves are, especially the kick (thanks to the motion-capture, I suppose).

Farore said:
Pretty damn nice packaging, indeed.

blu

thank you, Stormbringer.

In the end, he insists on how especially smooth the battle moves are, especially the kick (thanks to the motion-capture, I suppose).
mocap'ed ARPGs for the win.

Blackjack

Is "Regal can do a kick" really newsworthy?

That said, though, I am all for as many area clearing moves as they want to give us.

blu said:
thank you, Stormbringer.
Oh, well, no problem :) .
Blackjack said:
Is "Regal can do a kick" really newsworthy?
Probably not for us Tales "veterans", but it is noticeable that a pretty substancial part of this blog seems directed to those newcomers who've never even played ToS or any Tales of before, which includes explaining in details some of the most trivial facts of the game or the series...Which is still pretty reasonable, in my opinion.

Maybe the cuffs are a symbol of whateverthefuck happened in ToS?(I can't remember) Regal continues to wear them in remembrance of ???? or because he's a huge idiot.

Then again maybe the developers are just lazy. *shrug*
Cause seriously even if you're such an ultimate badass that you don't need your hands to kill stuff it certainly couldn't hurt to have them free for when you eat or you have an itch on your lower back.

Leezard

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Maybe the cuffs are a symbol of whateverthefuck happened in ToS?(I can't remember) Regal continues to wear them in remembrance of ???? or because he's a huge idiot.

Then again maybe the developers are just lazy. *shrug*

Most likely laziness. IIRC Regal pretty much was supposed to remove the cuffs when they were done with saving the world due to Alicia's exsphere telling him to stop punish himself.

Leezard said:
Most likely laziness. IIRC Regal pretty much was supposed to remove the cuffs when they were done with saving the world due to Alicia's exsphere telling him to stop punish himself.

I wonder if in DotNW somebody is going to ask Regal why he's still wearing those cuffs and Namco/Bandai manage to come up with a ridiculous scenario to explain it.

Then again they could just ignore it completely. I mean hell it's not like any of the people in the actual game are going to care. Once you get over the fact that one of your party members is a 40 year old little girl some guy who wears handcuffs all day every day isn't even worth a second look.

GamerSoul

Is anybody even interested in using Regal over the other characters? I'll happily replace him with a Monster character if I have to.

Blackjack

GamerSoul said:
Is anybody even interested in using Regal over the other characters? I'll happily replace him with a Monster character if I have to.
:( Regal was a staple of my party in Symphonia.

Lloyd, Zelos, Presea, and Regal.

GamerSoul

Blackjack said:
:( Regal was a staple of my party in Symphonia.

Lloyd, Zelos, Presea, and Regal.

Interesting line-up, it has a little of everything. I did learn to use Regal in one of my playthroughs but he became a little stagnant for me, and he could consume TP just as bad as Lloyd. And now with Marta....who is like a fighter/caster/healer all in one package, I see Regal being put on side-lines for a long time for some people. Well, unless he has some sort of advantage.

GamerSoul said:

heh, never used him. Lloyd, Zelos, Kratos and Raine all the way

GamerSoul

hemtae said:
How did you have Zelos and Kratos in the same party? o_O

Well, there was one instance in the game where it was possible. I remember it being at one of the later Ranches where you could split the party into groups and Kratos joined to help.

Jiggy

I hope they varied the kick power depending on character, e.g. Regal's would be the strongest, then Colette/Zelos/Presea in some order, then everybody else. (Well, maybe not Zelos. I'm not clear on whether he
was still an angel who would have obviously
had strength on par with Colette (or Presea, but Colette's obviously the more direct comparison here) in the ending where
he lives
, since he either couldn't lift Regal or was faking that he couldn't. But Colette and Presea should definitely be up there.)

GamerSoul said:
Never used him for anything except the sake of completionism, i.e. colosseum items and the one title. Not getting into my reasons why again, but eesh, biggest whiner ever. :/

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Definitely looking very good.

Any NeoJapanners know if there will be any bonus content for those with gamecube completed saves? :)

What are the chances the English dub will use the same voice?

It just won't be Lloyd to me unless I hear "Titans, GO!" in my head at the start of every battle.

Top Bottom