• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World new Video

Proven

Jiggy37 said:
Well, to be honest, I still don't buy that the original cast is only temporary throughout the full game just because of dodgy Nintendo Power wording saying that only Emil and Marta are "permanent." Technically speaking, only Lloyd was "permanent" in Symphonia, but Colette, Raine, etc. were still there a great majority of the time. Besides, I don't see why they developers would bother to get four-player co-op working if there's not at least some near-end-game point where the original characters can be accessed at any time.

But maybe this is all just hope speaking. :( Nobody would exactly accuse me of being an impartial observer for this particular game universe.

Anyway, as for where we heard monsters couldn't be controlled (and about four-player co-op, for that matter), right here:
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/tales-of-symphonia-dawn-of-the-new-world/a-2008050991855496000/p-3

Eh? You can't control the monsters!? There goes so many daydreams of fights...

What I'm thinking about the party is that Emil and Marta go around through the world, and different party members join them for certain little arcs. Since it's temporary, they'll only last for a dungeon for two, and anything past that will have them form a bond and be full on party members who get experience.

We all want to play as the old cast again, but you have to remember that the game is not about the old cast. The old cast is more or less a group of wandering heroes in the world, and it won't be until the end game where the heroes come together again in one party.

Jiggy

I don't have anything against the new cast or a heavy focus on them. I'm expecting to like Marta as much as more than nearly anybody else here who's looking forward to this game, and Emil seems kind of neutral to me--which is still better than my thoughts of Genis, Lloyd, and Regal. And I don't even have anything against the original characters coming and going. I mean, my three favorites were Colette, Zelos, and Presea, and they weren't exactly omnipresent; Colette dropped in and out perpetually (even once more than normal if I took her route, which I did five out of six times), and Zelos/Presea not only had one dropout each but didn't even show up for the first fifteen hours. So I'm kind of used to my favorites not being around, although at least this time there's Marta to hopefully be there with some kind of permanence.

Really, I'm only complaining about the old cast not gaining levels. It significantly hurts one of (what would have been) the strongest reasons to use them in battle and grind for nothing other than grinding's sake. Sticking around a dungeon longer than I needed to and getting into an excessive number of battles was one of my favorite things to do in Symphonia, but I'm not sure I would have done it if there wasn't some sort of reward.

Prax

Jiggy37 said:
Really, I'm only complaining about the old cast not gaining levels. It significantly hurts one of (what would have been) the strongest reasons to use them in battle and grind for nothing other than grinding's sake. Sticking around a dungeon longer than I needed to and getting into an excessive number of battles was one of my favorite things to do in Symphonia, but I'm not sure I would have done it if there wasn't some sort of reward.

That's okay.. maybe you can still grind for money, grade, quotes, moves (if they have to relearn their moves..), and titles (maybe a "get into 1000 battles" title requirement.. that unlocks a costume!)?

Yah, I'm getting my hopes up too. >.>

Jiggy

I want costumes so much. :( Even if they made me play 2000 battles, I'd do it as long as the battle system is up to series standards.

Sagitario

w-decus_1024.jpg

w-alice_1024.jpg

Proven

Looking back, it's not that I mind AI controlled partners (I loved it in Persona 3 after all), but the fact that I'm mostly playing this with two other people means that either monsters can only be controlled by anybody who isn't 1st player (he must always play as one of the main two) or my group just won't be catching many monsters.

Theres a scan out on a website, has a little section on monster battling, there seems to be a colleseum type stage where the whole party can be monsters.

In any case, im not too bothered with lack of controllable monsters.

Proven

flipping_heck said:
Theres a scan out on a website, has a little section on monster battling, there seems to be a colleseum type stage where the whole party can be monsters.

In any case, im not too bothered with lack of controllable monsters.

You just reawakened my reason to catch monsters. Four on four pokemon battle here I come! (Oh jeez, if you get to name them...)

batbeg

Paracelsus said:
Hope they fix the freeloader before the US release.

Dang.

If you haven't updated yet, you could simply keep using the Freeloader, you just can't update the Wii for any reason. If there's an update on a game disc you can use the Freeloader to bypass the update...

Of course, eventually I'll have to update, and I don't want to have to do that and have a bunch of games made worthless to me :(

IceIpor

So, someone has the game a few days early in Japan and is uploading a stream of his gameplay on Peercast...

http://localhost:7144/pls/9B49183EA992511957681EA6F976DCC0?tip=219.102.244.152:7144

Right now he seems to have left it on the title/opening, but he was fighting a boss earlier which I think he lost to.

Anyway, the official English Tales forum thread has a bunch of screen caps of his playthrough as well.

http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60501&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=7395

Of course, it goes without saying that these links will contain many huge SPOILERS.

Proven

Ugh... dammit.

I might watch it for today, and that's it. I care too much about the story for once, but I want to see some aspects of the battle system.

And if he's really bad that'll just turn me off from the spoilers a lot better.

Edit: It appears to be down?

Rpgmonkey

Heh, I think I saw
Yuan
(no idea if that's a spoiler or not, so I won't take my chances) a long time ago.

Wonder when he'll put the stream back up? It was laggy as heel and kept disconnecting, but I'm interested in seeing more of the game.

Battles are slower than the videos made it seem so far though. It'll probably pick up later.

JaMarco

ivysaur12 said:
Wow, even though I know they're using motion capture, the animations are so much smoother than Abyss and Symphonia.
Just what I was about to say. The animations are extremely smooth. They should really make motion capturing a staple in this series.

ivysaur12

Banned
I still can't believe that they used motion capture on Dawn of the New World and not Vespiera. Not like I'm complaining, but Vesperia is the mainline Tales and DTNW is just a side-story.

GamerSoul

ivysaur12 said:
I still can't believe that they used motion capture on Dawn of the New World and not Vespiera. Not like I'm complaining, but Vesperia is the mainline Tales and DTNW is just a side-story.

They had more freedom with this game since it really isn't like a main Tales game, so i guess they were allowed to take more risk. I say it was worth it. :D It really makes the characters look better and even the old ones look like new. Maybe they will use it more often.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
SantaC said:
I am a bit worried that famitsu scored legendia higher than this though :/
Why, really? Considering how Famtisu works, this most likely just means Namco is reserving the money to the Vesperia score.

Sagitario

GamerSoul said:
Well, we got these so far. Thank those lucky enough to have got the game already.

Spoilers! it has a battle in it and it shows Raine.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xdz2ex_rXCc

This one shows why Alice is ...well Alice.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ot5GPMC6u58

I know, it makes me seeing the stuff outside of battle more worthwhile :lol .

there's one more, the basic tutorial. Just a lot of slashing and cutting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmSwRb3HVUw

the only interesting part to me was around 1:14 where it shows just how high Emil can get by using is basic up slash.

The battle music seems nice :D ... [the music during the Alice scene was good too]...

Thanks for the videos...

<nitpicking_mode>The menu "bips" sound like something from Paper Mario and not the standard Tales menu sound (like the save point)</nitpicking_mode> :p

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
if i've learned anything through the years from this industry about myself it's that i value way more fluid and believable animations than clunky-animated pretty pictures. that's why i hate screenshots - they tell me nothing of a game's worth.

this genre needs more mocap!

markatisu

cannot wait for this game, seems to me they got just about everything right.

Spin-Off, Sequel, whatever you want to call it I am more than happy to give them my money

Firestorm

Saw the Opening. Blackout time. Been nice talking about the game.
Still anticipating Vesperia more, but considering this is a direct storyline sequel to my favourite jRPG (aside from Pokemon Red), can't wait =D

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Not that I am really concerned, but what did Famitsu score this? You guys mention a review score, but not what it is. ;)

Rpgmonkey

vanguardian1 said:
Not that I am really concerned, but what did Famitsu score this? You guys mention a review score, but not what it is. ;)

31/40 from Famitsu, 35/40 from Famitsu Wii+DS.

Man, some people are blazing through this game.

Can't wait to see how this ends.

ivysaur12

Banned
Threi said:
never played a tales game but damn i need a rpg.

would you recommend for a chrono trigger/cross fan?

Tales and Chrono games are worlds apart.

Are those really the only RPGs you can consider yourself a fan of? I mean, Cross came out almost ten years ago.

Top Bottom