• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Vesperia (or WHY NAMCO WHY)

clearly not DS. PSP or Wii..though the ingame pic is hard to see, it could even be PS360

Edit: Actually the gameplay screen looks similar in style to Opoona, in my opinon...with less borders.

typhonsentra said:
Why is the first shot which doesn't tell us anything important so large while the one that'd give us a clue of the platform so tiny?
Namco takes business lessons from Square-Enix. This lesson is called: 'Cock-teasing or how to skip getting burned on a platform, Vol1, Star Ocean 4 style'.

Nothing new.

EDarkness

Error said:
SO1_7451.jpg

SO1_7395.jpg
SO1_7424.jpg

why am I posting tales news? :sigh

Based on that pic, I'm starting to think 360 or PS3. The fact that the characters actually have shadows kinda makes me think of the HD system. Especially since I don't remember seeing the Wii version of Tales with actual shadows. Just some round blobs under each character's feet.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
EDarkness said:
Based on that pic, I'm starting to think 360 or PS3. The fact that the characters actually have shadows kinda makes me think of the HD system. Especially since I don't remember seeing the Wii version of Tales with actual shadows. Just some round blobs under each character's feet.
... what? I cant tell shit from those tiny pics. your observation skills are amazing.

Where are the shadows in the gameplay shot? Do you have like, super eyes or something? All I see are very simple ones under their feet, almost circular.

EDarkness

Error said:
... what? I cant tell shit from those tiny pics. your observation skills are amazing.

Not sure what to say to that, but you can tell in that pic to the bottom right that the shadows aren't circles.

Error

EDarkness said:
Not sure what to say to that, but you can tell in that pic to the bottom right that the shadows aren't circles.
well, I doubt that's any indication of the game being next gen. Star Ocean 3 achieve real shadows on PS2 in 2003, Im pretty sure a tales game could produce realistic shadows on Wii or PSP for that matter.

Matix

EDarkness said:

If this is on 360 or PS3, than it looks damn disappointing (visually) so far.

Amir0x

Banned
man i can't see shit, to know whether it's disappointing or not on whatever hypothetical system it's on seems a bit premature! We haven't even set the parameters for what would be disappointing, since we don't know what system it's on :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Ok well I think we can probably eliminate Wii since its getting ToS spinoff (which doesn't look half bad) and 3rd party sales haven't exactly been...encouraging.

I would agree with the general consensus that it is probably PSP with a slight possibility of PS2.

ethelred

People need to stop trying to "fix" what I said and make it broken in the process. I typed out what I intended to say. If you want to say something, say it yourselves.

Zerodoppler said:
Isn't Jump Festa an event for kids? A PS360 announcement would make little sense there IMO.

SO1_7209.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
nelsonroyale said:
graphics in psp are good...almost as good as ps2
I think his point is that TotA had circle shadows and this doesn't so it could be for a more powerful system, it really doesn't mean much though.

Just like everyone else I can't really see the in-game part of the picture so it's hard to say what it'll be for.

EDarkness

Error said:
well, I doubt that's any indication of the game being next gen. Star Ocean 3 achieve real shadows on PS2 in 2003, Im pretty sure a tales game could produce realistic shadows on Wii or PSP for that matter.

I don't doubt that, but just thinking of other games and comparing it to this one. Unless they made a completely new engine for the Wii, I don't think it's that platform. Possibility it could be PSP as it seems close to Crisis Core, but again if they didn't add real shadows to the Wii version (and it's definitely more powerful than the PSP), then I doubt they would add them to the PSP version. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the PSP or Wii, but based on their recent showings of Tales games, I'm not that convinced its either of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was PS2, PS3, or 360.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I was wondering why Namco has slowed down on the Tales releases... guess they have a few more coming. I want more Wii and 360 RPGs though, there's enough good handheld ones coming out next year.

kenji

Pureauthor said:
aww come on.. i'm a fan of Tales Of.. and for this reason i want the game to grow up..
i consider Abyss the best jrpg on PS2, and one of the best jrpg i ever played.. but now the concept have to change.. .-.
how many episodes we already have seen with this graphic setting? symphonia, abyss, innocence, symphonia 2, the world: radiant mithology, legendia and event tempest
needs a new art style imho =_=

cress2000

jj984jj said:
I think his point is that TotA had circle shadows and this doesn't so it could be for a more powerful system, it really doesn't mean much though.
ToA's engine was based on the asstastic port of Symphonia PS2, though. I'm sure they could do a lot better with a new, optimized engine coded from the ground up for the target hardware.

EDarkness

kenji said:
aww come on.. i'm a fan of Tales Of.. and for this reason i want the game to grow up..
i consider Abyss the best jrpg on PS2, and one of the best jrpg i ever played.. but now the concept have to change.. .-.
how many episodes we already have seen with this graphic setting? symphonia, abyss, innocence, symphonia 2, the world: radiant mithology, legendia and event tempest

Just because it's on either of those systems doesn't mean it will get new "art". Most likely the same assets, but with an increased polygon count and a few effects here and there. Just my opinion of course, as they might surprise the hell out of all of us and really change things up and make it special.

kenji said:

Well, sure, if you like, but a new art style doesn't need the power of the HD systems to be realized.

Eteric Rice

EDarkness said:
I don't doubt that, but just thinking of other games and comparing it to this one. Unless they made a completely new engine for the Wii, I don't think it's that platform. Possibility it could be PSP as it seems close to Crisis Core, but again if they didn't add real shadows to the Wii version (and it's definitely more powerful than the PSP), then I doubt they would add them to the PSP version. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the PSP or Wii, but based on their recent showings of Tales games, I'm not that convinced its either of them.

Keep in mind the screen of KoR were pretty early. The shadows may have not been implemented yet.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm so happy there is so much Tales trolling in here, I feel right at home :lol

keep fails of off next-gen plz! Taintless ftw!

kenji

EDarkness said:
Just because it's on either of those systems doesn't mean it will get new "art". Most likely the same assets, but with an increased polygon count and a few effects here and there. Just my opinion of course, as they might surprise the hell out of all of us and really change things up and make it special.
i hope you're right, let's see how things will be
i'd have preferred something like eternal sonata, in terms of graphic.. or maybe better.. >_>

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why is the shot blurred wrt the two people's heads but not the woman looking clearly right at the camera

The images of two people whose backs are facing the camera are filtered, yet the girl facing the camera isn't? Where's the logic?

Edit: Grrrr kev

EDarkness

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Uh, yeah, so early, releasing in Spring...
jf13.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I was just about to state that the newest pics still had circle shadows. If they haven't changed it by now, I doubt they will anytime soon.

So I think this does have a good chance to be on PS3 or 360.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cress2000 said:
ToA's engine was based on the asstastic port of Symphonia PS2, though. I'm sure they could do a lot better with a new, optimized engine coded from the ground up for the target hardware.
It wouldn't make sense to make a new engine for PS2 at this point. I'm saying PSP, Wii, or next-gen.

Jiggy

On the one hand, I'm exactly the target audience to the point where I'd probably buy every Tales game ever made of if they were available to me.

On the other, they're not available to me because I'm not in Japan, and apparently sentiment around here is that the Japanese are getting tired of it, which would be against my interest if it hurts sales to release another one so soon. I can't figure out whether that sentiment is GAF projecting its own feelings onto Japan or not, though, since there seems to be a lot of hate in here. >_>

Where are people getting the idea it's fro PS3/360? Are those pics of the 2 guys of this new Tales game? Because they're clearly playing on the Wii

Ah, looking at the Symphonia 2 pics it is from it. And isn't the new game a Symphonia sequel not a spinoff?

Dascu

Zoramon089 said:
Where are people getting the idea it's fro PS3/360? Are those pics of the 2 guys of this new Tales game? Because they're clearly playing on the Wii
This picture:
SO1_7424.jpg

Error

Zoramon089 said:
that's the Symphonia spin-off

EDarkness said:

So you doubt it could be on the Wii but you think it could be on the PS2? I don't see your lgoic there...

So we really don't know anything about the game, do we?

Based on those images, I'm gonna guess that it's not for DS or PS2. Other than that, it's hard to tell.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
i don't see why people are ruling out the Wii here. the KoR engine is simply the old symphonia engine modified. there's no reason to believe that the Wii isn't capable of real shadows by a GAMECUBE engine port. furthermore, KoR is fanservice. it's a spin-off, not a main entry. Bamco is just as capable of announcing a new, original tales game for the Wii regardless of KoR. it's pretty obvious that this is a new engine too. you can tell with the light scattering and the model lighting. i'll bet this is Wii. Bamco doesn't seem very interested in the PS360 for the Tales series, but then, if it does turn out to be that, well, i wouldn't be surprised.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
doomed1 said:
i don't see why people are ruling out the Wii here. the KoR engine is simply the old symphonia engine modified. there's no reason to believe that the Wii isn't capable of real shadows by a GAMECUBE engine port. furthermore, KoR is fanservice. it's a spin-off, not a main entry. Bamco is just as capable of announcing a new, original tales game for the Wii regardless of KoR. it's pretty obvious that this is a new engine too. you can tell with the light scattering and the model lighting. i'll bet this is Wii. Bamco doesn't seem very interested in the PS360 for the Tales series, but then, if it does turn out to be that, well, i wouldn't be surprised.

Ehh, we'll see. Namco has ToS spin off plus Fragile coming out already. Given Wii's lack of 3rd party success I don't know if its worth the risk to put another RPG on a system that hasn't proven to be viable for the genre.

Top Bottom