• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

FSLink

Banned
Xillia has quite a bit of design problems, but it's still a fun game to play, imo. Like, whenever people criticize Xillia--for me at least--I'm criticizing some design flaws, some system flaws, one of the characters, the execution of the boss battles, and the lack of variety in terms of subquests in the game. I also feel like the endgame and Act 4 itself was rushed. It's not like I hate the game, and apparently acknowledging flaws and expressing things you dislike about the game = you really hate the game and you're consistently bashing it when you say stuff like that. But that isn't true at all. I like it; I like 5/6ths of the cast, the scene direction, the anime cutscenes, the music, etc. I just don't like that it seems to have fallen short in some areas. It seems like it was supposed to be an ambitious game but fell victim to perhaps stuff like dev time or something? You can't help but to not feel like it was rushed along, especially by the time you get to the end. Like Final Fantasy XIII-2, Xillia 2 is attempting to rectify the problems that the original game had. Let's hope it goes smoothly.

Yep, pretty much agree with this 100%, the game is actually pretty awesome, but there's just some stuff that should have been ironed out if the game had more dev time, like the boss battle balancing and stuff. (Also didn't help I played on Hard mode, so normal encounters were tons of fun but boss battles were extremely tedious.)
I mean shoot I bought the game and beat it the main story within a week, which is rare for me since I usually take Tales games in short bursts. The problem is that after that week there wasn't much end-game content for me to keep a lasting impression on me. :/

What I don't like about Milla's casting is that while she's fast and you have the ability to make it fast, she stays in the cast animation while the spell animation is going so it takes some lag time before casting spells into each other. Definitely feel similarly when it comes to comboing spells. At least with Rowen, it seems like you could do it endlessly.
Dark Schala seems to forget that the reason rowen doesn't have lag for spells is because he is the conductor.
That's like the main appeal of his character ...

Jucksalbe

Banned
I need some help, I don't really know where I have to go next. I picked up the game again after quite some time, but I'm totally lost.

I'm at
the beginning of Chapter 2, I think, Millia route. Last time I played, I went through some kind of mine. I think I stopped right after that. I got some scenes at the doctor's and then just went out in the wild. I guess that was wrong? At least I was just killed by some overpowered crabs. I have only Millia and Jude in my party, can't quite remember why anymore.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I need some help, I don't really know where I have to go next. I picked up the game again after quite some time, but I'm totally lost.

I'm at
the beginning of Chapter 2, I think, Millia route. Last time I played, I went through some kind of mine. I think I stopped right after that. I got some scenes at the doctor's and then just went out in the wild. I guess that was wrong? At least I was just killed by some overpowered crabs. I have only Millia and Jude in my party, can't quite remember why anymore.
Okay, you just finished the doctor cutscene where
Milla got all better
? You're supposed to go to the port.

It's like...
Finish up at mine -> scenes -> Talk to Jude's mom, say yes -> scene -> go to port -> scene -> go to clinic, talk to Jude's mom, say yes -> go to the inn (you can do some sidequests here, iirc) -> go to the port -> get near the ferry guy.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks! I forgot to
check the inn again. I will have to get revenge on the stupid crabs some other time then. By the way, is "Yellow Girl" not coming with me? I remember having her in my party in the mine.

Edit: That question just answered itself.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What do I do when bosses use their "super moves"? They regularly almost kill me (with one person left standing).
Whenever they have the red ! on top, stay the hell away from them. Get out of their area of effect. With Jude, you can try to backstep and vanish behind them, but it's truly best to wait until they're Overlimit is over and done with.

Don't attempt anything while they're in overlimit.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks, that worked. Going by the animation I thought that attack would hit anyone regardless of their position.

Another question: What do I do with those black feathers? I have now found 255 of them, can't carry any more, but I still haven't found a use for them.

Thanks, that worked. Going by the animation I thought that attack would hit anyone regardless of their position.

Another question: What do I do with those black feathers? I have now found 255 of them, can't carry any more, but I still haven't found a use for them.

In Callala sharl , ( first area ) there is a merchant that will collect those.

He will offer some items rewards once you've got some millestones
You have rewards at 100/200/300/400/459/1000 black feathers. Don't worry you can get the rewards at any time once you can travel to that city...

Once you'll get 459 feathers that will trigger a quest.

PS: Callala sharl is the city where you first meet rowen.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks, I will look there when I can finally go back.
Right now, I'm at the beginning of chapter 4 at the fight against
the flying fairy character, Muze I think, with Milla
. I'm constantly getting annihilated, so it may still be a while.

Edit: And on my 60th attempt, I finally beat that boss. Had to use an All-Divide, though. What's up with that sudden difficulty spike?

Thanks, I will look there when I can finally go back.
Right now, I'm at the beginning of chapter 4 at the fight against
the flying fairy character, Muze I think, with Milla
. I'm constantly getting annihilated, so it may still be a while.

Edit: And on my 60th attempt, I finally beat that boss. Had to use an All-Divide, though. What's up with that sudden difficulty spike?

If that make you feel better , it is the only real problem with difficulty in the game.

I took 14 attempts myself :( ( no all divide used )

This fight is much easier if you're in new gameplus.
Musee actually is a real pain because you're not accustomed to the STUN+overlimit combo.
Not to mention that musee has a lot of area spells and only one hit is enough for her to combo.
Musee has a lot of HP and milla isn't quite as able to dodge as jude.

Also musee is a spirit, just like milla even if both sisters are different and both have tasks from maxwell to perform. It's complicated stuff but at this point from the game you will not be able to come back to callala sharl untill later

Jucksalbe

Banned
Don't spoil too much of the story. I have my own theories, but I don't want to know the real story until I play the English release. For all I care she's
an Esper. She even looked like Terra in that segment
The fight reminded me of those awful final bosses in fighting games, the way you have to watch out for combos and damn, she can cast a lot of magic at once. And half of them cause status ailments, too.

I'm not spoiling the story..
you just had the fight with her and maxwell just went and explained that part
. (before and after that fight )

Everyone is calling muse as milla sister since her introduction in chapter 3.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm not spoiling the story..
you just had the fight with her and maxwell just went and explained that part
. (before and after that fight )

Everyone is calling muse as milla sister since her introduction in chapter 3.
Should've probably still spoiler-tagged it since it is a spoiler. It's mid-late game stuff.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finished the game. This was actually the first RPG in Japanese that I finished. I'm a little proud, though Xillia really does make it easy.
I can't wait to play the English version to finally understand what the heck happened.

Finished the game. This was actually the first RPG in Japanese that I finished. I'm a little proud, though Xillia really does make it easy.
I can't wait to play the English version to finally understand what the heck happened.

Well you finished it but since you did mila route there are a lot of thing that were explained in jude route and that you can't get or understand on that path.

I actually played mila part first and even when i followed the story there were parts where i was confused by some turn of events and you can only trully understand those if you've seen both paths.

Still there are plenty of things you've missed if you don't know japanese even on this path.

Ok, this is just a silly question, but I just can't wrap my head around it.

Is there some trick or something with Alvin's charge ability. My success rate with actually being able to do this is downright terrible at this point and I'm just not getting what I'm doing wrong.

I mean, it is just pressing X while you do his arte, but I can rarely get it to work...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ok, this is just a silly question, but I just can't wrap my head around it.

Is there some trick or something with Alvin's charge ability. My success rate with actually being able to do this is downright terrible at this point and I'm just not getting what I'm doing wrong.

I mean, it is just pressing X while you do his arte, but I can rarely get it to work...
Use an arte with this sword with X and continuing to hold X after activating the arte. You should see him charge.

With respect to skills that help out with that:
チャージキープ (Keep Charge) will let you to keep a charge even if your attack misses
スピードチャージ (Speed Charge) will let the artes charge faster

Use an arte with this sword with X and continuing to hold X after activating the arte. You should see him charge.

With respect to skills that help out with that:
チャージキープ (Keep Charge) will let you to keep a charge even if your attack misses
スピードチャージ (Speed Charge) will let the artes charge faster

I see.

Maybe it is just my controller that's hating me and in extent, hating Alvin.

Ok, woo, got the trophy. Also learn that I can charge again if I got a charge left on him, making it easier to do so. The tricky part is getting to charge in the first place. :/ But, thanks. :D

Gameplay then Story then Music. Last JRPG I played was Ni no Kuni and though the gameplay was lackluster, and the story good not great, the music was fantastic.

So how does Xillia fare?

Gameplay is a little step down from Graces f. Story is pretty great though. And I would say the music's about the same.

My two cents atm..
Animations are a bit clunky but i can live with that..
But, after the glory of togf battle system, xillia battle system seems like a drag to play..
Sigh, hopefully the story will make it worth

Tizoc

Could someone provide a better resolution image of Alvin's reaction as in this image-
tales_of_xillia_random_skits___by_mrsnox-d6l8udi.jpg

When I think about it, I liked the game a lot more when it was JUST Alvin, Mill and Jude. Jude and Alvin bro-ing out was just fun to watch.

Hello ! Long time rpg player first time tales of player here.

I am planning to start this tomorrow so tips and advice are very appreciated!

Labadal

No real advice to give really, the game is pretty straightforward. Try to only upgrade shops when there is a x3 multiplier. Try different characters in combat to see which ones you like to use.

Play Jude's story first. If you want to complete all sub-events, I suggest a guide. Have some elemental weapons in reserve because they can come in handy in some regions of the game.

That's all I can really think of.

Soriku

Pick Jude's side first for the story.

Play on a higher difficulty than Normal. Even Hard isn't very hard.

With the Lilium Orb, focus on each character's strengths (naturally highest stats). Try to get new skills and artes when you can.

Elemental weapons are very useful for bosses, so I'd focus on buying them (especially since you usually have limited funds).

Follow this guide for subevents:

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...7180-sub-events-everything-you-need-know.html

I recommend doing them all. Many of them are comprised of additional cutscenes which flesh out characters.

No real advice to give really, the game is pretty straightforward. Try to only upgrade shops when there is a x3 multiplier. Try different characters in combat to see which ones you like to use.

Play Jude's story first. If you want to complete all sub-events, I suggest a guide. Have some elemental weapons in reserve because they can come in handy in some regions of the game.

That's all I can really think of.

Pick Jude's side first for the story.

Play on a higher difficulty than Normal. Even Hard isn't very hard.

With the Lilium Orb, focus on each character's strengths (naturally highest stats). Try to get new skills and artes when you can.

Elemental weapons are very useful for bosses, so I'd focus on buying them (especially since you usually have limited funds).

Follow this guide for subevents:

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...7180-sub-events-everything-you-need-know.html

I recommend doing them all. Many of them are comprised of additional cutscenes which flesh out characters.

Cheers guys!!

Soriku

Okay!

How is the grinding in this game?

On Hard mode I only had to grind for the post-game boss. Not too much though

There are a few bosses people have some trouble with, but personally I thought elemental weapons made boss battles much easier. That and having Elize (main healer) + Leia (great support/decent healer) in my party.

I should mention that when a boss goes in Overlimit (they have a flash around them) they can use Mystic Artes. What I did when a boss went in Overlimit was link up with someone I wanted to keep alive, and drag them away from the boss until they use their MA. That way the boss is only able to wipe out 1-2 members.

squadr0n

I need some help with Tales of Xillia's Battle system. Is there a video I can watch that shows the correct way to do the linked artes, especially the chain link.

This is basically my first Tales of game other than the few hours I put into Vesperia. I understood how the battlesystem worked in Vesperia but Ive been having some trouble in Xillia. Especially around the bosses. I can fight normal enimes fine but when I get to the boss I feel like I have no idea what im doing.

Is there anyone that can help me understand this games battlesystem. When I do a link artes and it says their is a chance for a chain what do i do?

Top Bottom