• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

One question that I'm not sure if anyone asked yet.

If I refunded this game on Steam after it comes out, would that also take Symphonia out of my library? Steam lists them as two separate games, so that makes me think it wouldn't.

Rpgmonkey

Nice OT, haha. :p

I'm busy with a bunch of other games so I'll get it on PC later, but I'll be looking out for people posting screenshots of the PC version.

I do recommend this game if you've enjoyed most Tales games. It's not the best entry to the series but I definitely didn't feel it wasn't worth the time or money I put into it, I think it's a fun game with some annoying design choices here and there. If you've had more mixed experiences with the games, or haven't played one before, maybe wait for a sale instead.

Nice OT. Can't wait for the Steam version! Question, is there anywhere I can find some tips on getting better at the battle system in these games? I feel like every Tales game I play I am just terrible but I see these combo videos and motherfuckers are getting like 50 hit combos.

kewlmyc

Every streamer is playing with JP dub on. *sigh*.

It's the first time we've gotten the JP dub for a newly released Tales game. It's to be expected.

Is it possible to change the language at anytime, or is it like Nisa games and once you picked the language, you're stuck with it?

MechaX

I am done with MGSV, so I'll most likely pick this up.

With that said, I have no idea if I'm actually going to like the game at this point. The last Tales story I got invested in was Vesperia, and the Graces F battle system made me play the game to its total completion when the story would have burned me out at like hour 5 otherwise. I powered through Xillia on a Spring Break I believe, but I could not muster the will to get through Xillia 2 like at all.

Basically, what I am trying to ask is if this game is better than Xillia 2 at least.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It's in the thread title. Banco has already said it has a 30FPS cap.

And a shame too, my 144hz screen just arrived.

Well shit.
Here is hoping somebody can mod the files of the game to unlock it and not cause wonky stuff to happen.

Will have to pass on this one due to the FPS if it can't be fixed (refusing any PC came at 30 on principle lately).

SheHateMe

I preordered the CE once it became available in July. I'm a Tales of sucker, and they got me. Again. Own the CE for Symphonia Chronicles, didn't open it, and then PSN had a sale where I picked them both up for $10, ensuring that I'll never open it. Own Xillia 2, never opened it. I'm afraid that I'll own this and never open it, either. Won't stop me from buying it.

I have a problem.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So it's a Tales game then.

Sounds about right. Most tales stories have decent premise and fall enough later which is okay for me. Just need that initial interesting set up to get the ball rolling.

Kasumin

Does this game have fast travel?

Yes. For the low, low price of 6% of your gald! Until you do some sidequest later. But even then, it has to be done area by area.

I was hoping this was going to be good but with no advance reviews im worried.

Import impressions from a friend of mine. Minimal story spoilers in that review as it focuses exclusively on gameplay and mechanics.

Every streamer is playing with JP dub on. *sigh*.

I imagine most would consider that a good thing. Did you want to hear the dub?

I'm curious to see how this game is received overall in the West. I'm up for playing it, but after Xillia 2 took a dump all of everything I liked about Xillia's story and the negative impressions of Zestiria in Japan based on the technical issues of the PS3 version, I'm going to just wait until it's on sale.

I really really hope Namco actually gives Berseria the budget it needs.

I've heard the dub on some of the English streams. I watched up to
First bout against Zaveid
They did a really solid job so far. Is it because it's in English and nothing else? I cannot comprehend how some people find the dub to be ear grating

Meia

Have never really played a Tales game before, is this a good one to start off on? Kind of tempted by the PC release since you get Symphonia too(which is one I obviously haven't played either).

RPGCrazied

Have never really played a Tales game before, is this a good one to start off on? Kind of tempted by the PC release since you get Symphonia too(which is one I obviously haven't played either).

They are all stand alone stories. So any of them would be a good starting point.

Kasumin

I've heard the dub on some of the English streams. I watched up to
First bout against Zaveid
They did a really solid job so far. Is it because it's in English and nothing else? I cannot comprehend how some people find the dub to be ear grating

Some are so biased against dubs that they insist that 99% of dubs are automatically crap. The second a character speaks in English in a Japanese media property, they've already decided it's terrible.

I've heard people call some of the best game dubs I've seen complete crap, so I just figure it's a bias some people have. It's subjective, sure, but I think there's definite ways to tell when a performance is good.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
My impressions from the Japanese ps3 version, maybe someone will find this useful:
Zestiria cleared!
Took me ~34 hours on normal, with doing a good chunk of the side stuff. I really liked most of it - the battle system, characters and even the story wasn't too bad.
That said, the skill system was terrible and I still thing that they made you run around way too much.

Jucksalbe

Banned
34 hours is a bit shorter than I'd have expected, but then again I often take a bit longer than most people with those games anyway.

3 hours in, I'd say the dub is fine. I haven't heard all characters (or even close to that) at this point, of course.

Quonny

Japanese voices? No thank you. How else will I hear awesome battle shouts?

"BURNING ECHO"
"BURNING ECHO"
"BURNING ECHO"
"BURNING ECHO"

For some reason I could never get in to these games, I always start them and then it feels like during the battles I'm just hitting buttons. I hear that later in the game there is some strategy to it but I never make it that far because well...I'm just hitting buttons. That being said, I'm very tempted to pick this game up. I really want to play a JRPG and this is the only one to come out lately that I want to play (Until Xenoblade Chronicles X I suppose).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
One question that I'm not sure if anyone asked yet.

If I refunded this game on Steam after it comes out, would that also take Symphonia out of my library? Steam lists them as two separate games, so that makes me think it wouldn't.

It'd take it away, since they're tied to the same registry. Steam uses depots, so even though they're two separate games, you own them both through the same depot, so if you refunded, you'd lose the depot, and thus both games. Same thing as if you bought a game pack with DLC, or more than one game and the like.

Man, I'm sorta unsure on this Tales game. I'm on the edge of buying it for PS4 next week, but all the mixed impressions have me uneasy. I guess I'll gauge my interest by stating my preferred Tales games:

- Vesperia is my favorite, still the high point of the series for me
- Really loved Symphonia and even enjoyed Dawn Of The New World (ToS2)
- Loved Tales of The Abyss, 2nd Favorite
- Liked Graces F, the combat system and Titles linked to Skills/Artes was interesting but I ended up selling it before finishing it b/c I hated the characters & story
- Really liked Xillia and played it to completion (a rarity for me & JRPGs lol), but hated Xillia 2 and sold it after playing for about 8 hours

Taking all that into consideration, I am more or less inclined to enjoy Zestiria?

SephLuis

Man, I'm sorta unsure on this Tales game. I'm on the edge of buying it for PS4 next week, but all the mixed impressions have me uneasy. I guess I'll gauge my interest by stating my preferred Tales games:

- Vesperia is my favorite, still the high point of the series for me
- Really loved Symphonia and even enjoyed Dawn Of The New World (ToS2)
- Loved Tales of The Abyss, 2nd Favorite
- Liked Graces F, the combat system and Titles linked to Skills/Artes was interesting but I ended up selling it before finishing it b/c I hated the characters & story
- Really liked Xillia and played it to completion (a rarity for me & JRPGs lol), but hated Xillia 2 and sold it after playing for about 8 hours

Taking all that into consideration, I am more or less inclined to enjoy Zestiria?

The story is more simple than what you saw in Vesperia/Symphonia/Xillia and the combat is more similar to Graces F. Put it simply, you have a great battle system like graces f without the annoying characters and story.

It's better than DotNW, certainly. And you should have finished Xillia 2. I prefer it's story to the first game.

The story is more simple than what you saw in Vesperia/Symphonia/Xillia and the combat is more similar to Graces F. Put it simply, you have a great battle system like graces f without the annoying characters and story.

It's better than DotNW, certainly. And you should have finished Xillia 2. I prefer it's story to the first game.

This is reassuring to hear. And as far as Xillia 2 goes, I just couldn't get into it because I loathe silent protagonists in my JRPGs. I like stepping into the shoes of established characters in their unique worlds rather than someone who remains a mute. I'm definitely willing to give it a second shot though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is this game better than Xillia? Xillia was OK but I felt like the dungeons were zzz.

I liked Graces though, simple story but fun gameplay. Symphonia kinda didn't age well but I enjoyed it together with Hearts R.

Harusame

Can't wait to pick my collector's edition from Ebgames this coming Tuesday. I was tempted into getting the Steam copy of the game, but I think I will continue playing a majority of my JRPG's on consoles and play it on a couch as well.

Hopefully Zesteria can rekindle my fondness of the Tales series. The last two Tales games I played were Graces F and Xillia, however, they didn't entice me as Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia did...

ViciousDS

Banned
oh shit, this is next tuesday already? damn....well I guess at least I got a best buy gift card coming the mail...already got guitar hero pre-ordered. Time to get a Next Gen Tales game!

SephLuis

This is reassuring to hear. And as far as Xillia 2 goes, I just couldn't get into it because I loathe silent protagonists in my JRPGs. I like stepping into the shoes of established characters in their unique worlds rather than someone who remains a mute. I'm definitely willing to give it a second shot though.

Ludger shouldn't have been a silent protagonist, since he has his own story. A very small spoiler not related to the story, but once you finish the game, they add Ludger voices to the game for NG+. It's odd that they choose to do this, especially in this game that I really liked the story.

My main issue with it was pacing.

Is this game better than Xillia? Xillia was OK but I felt like the dungeons were zzz.

I liked Graces though, simple story but fun gameplay. Symphonia kinda didn't age well but I enjoyed it together with Hearts R.

There are two or three dungeons that are actually well designed. If you liked Hearts R and Graces, I see no reason for you to not like this one too.

So I'm thinking of getting this but have had a pretty rocky relationship with the Tales games. Could someone give me an idea if this is worth getting?

The Tales games I have my played and my general opinions of them are as follows:

Tales of Destiny - Don't remember much but I remember quite enjoying it

Tales of Destiny 2 - Quite enjoyed it as well. I liked how the main girl punched people in the face while wearing a dress.

Tales of that Douchey Main Character with White Hair who wanted to fuck his Sister also there was a Swordsman Girl with a Blue Hat? - Would have liked it if I didn't find the main character completely unbearable. Dropped it because of him

Tales of Hearts R - Fuck this game to the very depths of anime hell

Top Bottom