• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Talk about double standards (Wall Street Journal vs. PewDiePie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makonero

He is "jokingly" making a hashtag and encouraging fans to harass a journalist with the intent of getting him fired

He is "jokingly" showing a random website claiming that JK Rowling said nazi uniformes are "arousing" to millions of followers who are now harassing her on Twitter

How many "jokes" will it take for people to realize that joking actions are nonetheless actions? If before he could claim he was a victim, now that whole facade has crumbled. He has now turned political in the worst way possible.
It's called deniability. Trump and republicans do this all the time. Dog whistles.

This Film Critic Hulk twitter thread was linked earlier. Going to post the thread in here though: https://twitter.com/FilmCritHULK/status/831348572180271104

Thread RE: Pewdiepie - making inane "shock" jokes will just inevitably push you into becoming that actual hyper-conservative jerk.

It starts with making a "joke" - but the outrage is sincere. So the "just joking" defense is put up. But the consequences feel weirdly real. But rather than face yourself, other people's sensitivity becomes the enemy. So the jokes get more extreme.

So the consequences become more real too. Then you're so embedded in your own war on sensitivity that you don't realize you've joined a side.

Sure you don't know what you stand for, it's just all about them sweet sweet liberal tears. But soon the people who support you start making "sense" because they see the same flaws in the people you hate that you do. And soon enough you become the very fascistic asshat you once could not relate to, but only made "jokes" about.

And that's the story of how the in-it-for-the-lulz internet became a bunch of dye-in-the-wool fascists.

So the question is, when are we gonna recognize this shit for not only what it is, but what it will be?

Oh to be clear, the call to action here is about addressing the cycle with people at the beginning. Not doubling down on outrage.​

So true, and this is a well known phenomenon in modern far-right circles. While everyone had their head stuck up their ass, they learned that nazi waifus and pepes are a much more formidable recruiting tool than telling someone to read paranoid pseudoscience from the 1930s.

Yes, paywalls are unethical when you're the WSJ and you imply racism with a ton of out of context clips in a video shared publicly to the world. And then write the context behind a paywall.

And it's not just behind a paywall. The video is on Youtube alone with the paywalled article being a small link in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Q1i3YXt5s

That is unethical.
There is nothing unethical about this video and includes PDP defending himself for his jokes in it.

I hate this idea that PewDiePie doesn't know what he is doing with his videos. The guy is a troll who made a career off making rape jokes. Are we really to believe that this guy doesn't understand the implicationa of having people write "kill all jews" and posting a video for his dozens of millions of followers? Do people really believe it was solely a social experiment to prove shit everyone already knows?

I refuse to believe people are this naive. They know what he is doing. He knows what he is doing. But he doesn't wanna own it because then it kills his whole brand. Linking racists and saying "well they supported me in my time of need" is such a thinly veiled excuse as well. Who are you fooling?
Especially with his followers harassing Rowling on Twitter for the shit in this video. He knew this was going to happen, but didn't care. And if he somehow had no way of knowing that would happen, then that just makes him a reckless idiot. Either way, not a person to look up to or be inspired by or anything. There's no way he comes out of this looking positive. At least, there shouldn't be. But yet...

notaskwid

Yes, many jokes taken out of context by the WSJ were actually nbd when you watch the videos. For example: PewDiePie said that the media loves taking clips out of context. The next clip was him dressed up in a military uniform watching a Hitler speech. The whole point of the joke was the media loves taking things out of context.

Also the WSJ literally took a clip of PDP raising his hand and implied he was doing a nazi salute.

Yes, I will defend these jokes, and I accept PewDiePie's apology on the one joke that was actually anti-Semitic that he regrets doing.

The point of the WSJ video was saying that he frequently uses Nazi imagery in his videos, and how that can be dangerous.
Which is true.
You can hear his explanations in the video, they didn't mute him.
https://youtu.be/AFY7mGkmFxo

Aren't PDP's videos also available to the public? And seen by his millions and millions of subscribers? That's the context. No one's hiding it. The WSJ didn't burn the archives, then hide their description behind a paywall.

How exactly is this tarnishing PDP's name? If the claims are so untrue, why hasn't he filed for libel against the WSJ?

Seems to me, the only people learning anything new here was Disney. And I suspect Disney execs have a subscription to the WSJ.

It's all just a fucking meme and joke to these people.

No. That's not context at all. I can't take clips of someone out of context. And just shrug and assume my readers will watch through thousands of hours of videos and find the context.

Fuchsdh

His followers are currently harassing JK Rowling on Twitter with doctored pictures of her in a nazi uniform. Formidable group of people, these "rookie comedians"...

B-but people in these threads were telling me everyone understood that it was just an example of how these outrageous claims are spread! You're telling me his fans didn't pick up on that?

Yes, paywalls are unethical when you're the WSJ and you imply racism with a ton of out of context clips in a video shared publicly to the world. And then write the context behind a paywall.

And it's not just behind a paywall. The video is on Youtube alone with the paywalled article being a small link in the description.

That is unethical.

1. Paywalls aren't unethical.
2. You can't just say "they took it out of context" put of a video and not explain yourself.

It is. But looks like the SJW WSJ, just like some other websites, likes to ruin one person's reputation based on nonsense.
230114_908223010.png

You may have an opinion on these jokes, but I don't think calling someone a racist just because of jokes and not actual thinking is fair.

So you think him linking actual racists was just the latest in his "whoops nauve ole me" string of bloopers? This dude is playing a character and that character is pushing some obviously questionable things. Who gives a fuck how he actually feels when everything he does promites destructive ideals?

Especially with his followers harassing Rowling on Twitter for the shit in this video. He knew this was going to happen, but didn't care. And if he somehow had no way of knowing that would happen, then that just makes him a reckless idiot. Either way, not a person to look up to or be inspired by or anything. There's no way he comes out of this looking positive. At least, there shouldn't be. But yet...

People think this little plausible deniabiluty dog whistle shit is clever. Like no one can see through it. I always just roll my eyes. Like these people need to crawl back under their alt right rocks.

Uthred

You may have an opinion about these jokes, but I don't think calling someone a racist just because of jokes and not actual thinking is fair.

We can't know what people think, we can only look at what they say and do. If what you say and do is racist you shouldnt be surprised at the conclusions people draw.

Nanashrew

Banned
He is "jokingly" making a hashtag and encouraging fans to harass a journalist with the intent of getting him fired

He is "jokingly" showing a random website claiming that JK Rowling said nazi uniformes are "arousing" to millions of followers who are now harassing her on Twitter

How many "jokes" will it take for people to realize that joking actions are nonetheless actions? If before he could claim he was a victim, now that whole facade has crumbled. He has now turned political in the worst way possible.

Exactly!

And these actions were directly aimed at people. This was dogwhistling at its finest disguised as irony and jokes which directly aimed harassment at them.

So, you got a source on him telling his fans to do that?

Whether or not he intended to, he gave his fanbase a target.

Your question seem to imply she had it coming. Maybe I'm jaded by the 'just asking questions guys'. Apologies if so.
Check the person I quoted. Their post implied that she had it coming because she called him a fascist. And I pointed out that I have not seen evidence of that claim.

You may have an opinion about these jokes, but I don't think calling someone a racist just because of jokes and not actual thinking is fair.
I'm not calling him a racist. I'm saying that in the year 2017, where ACTUAL NAZIS are in the federal government and the alt-right is growing increasingly more influential, you can't just say this shit is "out-of-context" and complain about how everything is overly politicized. Whether you like it or not, anti-Semitic jokes and rhetoric are political now. Period.

L Thammy

Boy this thread sure isn't a microcosm for a lot of other, larger-scale problems in the world, huh?

Yeah, I got to admit, I did not expect when this issue first came up that terms like "SJW" and "alt-left" would be flying around in them.

If this is a serious post, then this entire thread is a tire fire and we're all destined to burn with it.

It's the follow up to a number of other tire fire threads; why would this one magically be better? Hell, I'd say it was kind of terrible from the OP.

It is. But looks like the
SJW
WSJ, just like some other websites, likes to ruin one person's reputation based on nonsense.

Now we got people calling conservative WSJ a bunch of SJWs? There's a whole lot of people who know nothing about the media talking a whole lotta bullshit.

So, you got a source on him telling his fans to do that?

This argument? Not a real fucking argument. The internet isn't new. The behavior of the little shits who run in these circles is nothing new.

Like pdp who takes vox out of context?

From Vox's article:

"This isn’t the first time Kjellberg’s fashion choices have been examined as possible coded Nazi symbolism. In August, one neo-Nazi website pointed out several perceived examples of Kjellberg appearing to express Nazi sympathies, including the observation that Kjellberg had appeared in videos sporting fashion arguably similar to Nazi fashion: “recently he has been wearing Himmler style glasses and sporting a fashy [slang for fascist] Hitler Youth haircut."

This was in their article on discussing if PDP's nazi satire is ok. The discussion of his hair and glasses is so ridiculous it should never have been written in the article.

From Vox's article:

"This isn’t the first time Kjellberg’s fashion choices have been examined as possible coded Nazi symbolism. In August, one neo-Nazi website pointed out several perceived examples of Kjellberg appearing to express Nazi sympathies, including the observation that Kjellberg had appeared in videos sporting fashion arguably similar to Nazi fashion: “recently he has been wearing Himmler style glasses and sporting a fashy [slang for fascist] Hitler Youth haircut."

This was in their article on discussing if PDP's nazi satire is ok. The discussion of his hair and glasses is so ridiculous it should never have been written in the article.

Are you trying to be cute or can you seriously not read quotation marks?

jtb

Banned
From Vox's article:

Which part of that paragraph is incorrect?

sa201674

Banned
PDP's besties with Gamergaters now huh?

This is honesty frightening considering his 50 million audience WORLDWIDE most of which consists of PRE-TEENS living in a world where barely anyone reads news articles.

Pdp is the one damaging his own brand and it's really embarrassing that people are contorting themselves all out of shape to defend it.

From Vox's article:

"This isn't the first time Kjellberg's fashion choices have been examined as possible coded Nazi symbolism. In August, one neo-Nazi website pointed out several perceived examples of Kjellberg appearing to express Nazi sympathies, including the observation that Kjellberg had appeared in videos sporting fashion arguably similar to Nazi fashion: ”recently he has been wearing Himmler style glasses and sporting a fashy [slang for fascist] Hitler Youth haircut."

You quoted Vox quoting a neo-nazi website... good job? Sounds like you have no idea what the article is even about.

PDP's besties with Gamergaters now huh?

This is honesty frightening considering his 50 million audience WORLDWIDE most of which consists of PRE-TEENS living in a world where barely anyone reads news articles.

Pretty sure preteens like to read some BuzzFeed from time to time.

Nipo

That is unethical.

The youtube video you linked to says right in the description that PDP says they were "jokes". The article you linked to says why even if they were jokes they are still unacceptable because it creates norming making the behavior socially acceptable.

What part of this is unethical? Or do you mean it is Alt-unethical ala alt-facts?

L Thammy

Now we got people calling conservative WSJ a bunch of SJWs? There's a whole lot of people who know nothing about the media talking a whole lotta bullshit.

Rupert Murdoch may be a conservative, but The Media is liberal, and the Wall Street Journal is just The Media in disguise.

From Vox's article:

...Did you read what you just quoted? They were quoting how Nazi websites viewed him. That ain't Vox's own words. It's important because whether PewDiePie intends it or not is irrelevant in that its empowering those on Nazi websites either way and thus he should be much more careful with his language and actions. PewDiePie was reckless and didn't consider this--that's what they're arguing, and it's a valid point.

Zero315

Banned

Casual racisim is still racisim. No one called him a racist, but yeah, casual racisim exists and "It's just jokes!" is one of the top defenses of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom