• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Talk about double standards (Wall Street Journal vs. PewDiePie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usobuko

Banned
The thing Vox did trying to link PDP to Himmler due to the style of glasses he wears was dumb and really, really reaching. If you're going to stretch that far to label PDP a Nazi, I don't blame PDP for going scorched earth.

He has to get in line man behind 80% of the population.

NotLiquid

Sargon is an absolute cunt but I have to ask, if you were falling from a building and an alt righter who support trump extended his hands to save you would you refuse and plunge to your death?

The reason why I asked this is that shitty people are capable for making good points and doing good things regardless of how shitty they are.

Sure. Assholes can have a point sometimes.

But if we're to use your analogy in this context, this is more like if you'd be falling down a building and several people would come to your emergency aid before you realize you have a bungee attached already, and one of the people in the back that's helping you get on your feet happens to be someone who's kind of an unsympathetic cock.

Carl of Akkad was not the first or even only one to jump to his defense. Pretty sure h3h3 was already there day one, and he has by far a much larger audience.

Nanashrew

Banned
Sargon is an absolute cunt but I have to ask, if you were falling from a building and an alt righter who support trump extended his hands to save you would you refuse and plunge to your death?

The reason why I asked this is that shitty people are capable for making good points and doing good things regardless of how shitty they are.

There were plenty of others that came to his defense though. He chose two vile people over his friends.

This is a really terrible analogy. If the only person defending me was Sargon, I'd retire from public life.

Its a good thing Sargon isn't the only person defending Pewdiepie then.

In any event my point stands not because you hate someone doesn't invalidate every single thing they say, the world is not black and white where people are either pure evil or jesus christ

He is a GamerGater. Enough said.

And this better not be JAQing. Thought that died down.

I wasn't familiar with Sargon, saw people calling him a fascist and wanted to know what he did to be called that.

Thanks for the links to those that posted them, will definitely look into it. (in class, will watch the videos later given their length)

gypsygib

Piwdiepie should actually sue WSJ for this. It's slander.

Anyone who has watched his show, and people like me who just started watching for the first time to see what was going on under the "scandal", can see that pewdiepie clearly is not anti-semitic or racist for that matter. He acted insensitively by treating nazi imagery so lightly, which was probably wrong, but that's a long way from holding anti-semitic beliefs and promoting anti-semitism. The meaning of anything cannot be separated from context to be accurate.

I've actually lost all respect for WSJ now. I used to think they were a highly credible paper/site.

Also, the I KILL HITLER! episode was both hilarious and the perfect response. Made WSJ look like the fools they apparently are.

I guess he makes an easy target looking the way he does, but that in itself is the definition of prejudice.

In any event my point stands not because you hate someone doesn't invalidate every single thing they say, the world is not black and white where people are either pure evil or jesus christ

You're right, the Daily Stormer is as well.

Got no sympathy for either, but PDP linking to Sargon of Akkad, a fascist and supported by fascist groups doesn't help PDP's case at all either.

Oh come on, Sargon is not a fascist. He's definitely a conservative, but that doesn't make him a fascist. Each side of the political divide has gotten so damn hyperbolic, it makes it impossible to have a an actual discussion.

Pif

Banned
WSJ forgot that Felix has an army of vocal followers that will harass, troll and possibly hack WSJ and some affiliates.

It was a good try tho. Good publicity for Pewds.

You think HE is handling this well?

Not at all. I was vocal in the previous threads on how he screwed up with this. This is reinforced thanks to the responses other people made in this thread informing me about the people PDP is now associating with.

That said I feel like people are being really soft of the WSJ. Both parties have handled this poorly.

And this better not be JAQing. Thought that died down.

Yo, some people just dont know. Learning about these topics can be tricky so thats why some prefer to ask "why" instead of jumping to conclusions. I"ve done it, and I have learned a lot thanks to people that respond politely and with information.

I hope this message doesnt come across as an attack.

maybe if

- PDP made a genuine apology video
- WSJ, JK rowling and Vox wouldn't trip over themselves to label him a nazi

everyone could have moved on with their lives

Even still, their points were shoddy as best and that vox headline was just stupid. Maybe they can stop trying to turn people into villains.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Edit: Another is why do people seem to take cunts like Milo and Sargon seriously and not see that they are just pondering for the money they make from their shticks is it the british accent that's tricking people?

THey get views and get more shitty people to actually belive in those views. How did the whole SJW thing start? Someone said an incorrect term about social justice and now everyone hates social justice. You have to take it seriously or it grows into a monster.

Also, let's be clear, we're talking abut PDP who had a death to all jews sign in one of his videos which is what this whole thing started as.

Cozying up to an alt righter who basically believes overt racism and sexism is okay and if you call that out you are an SJW is detrimental to his image by default.

Harmen

Yeah, gotta agree with people, linking to Sargon and that other guy is not a good idea/look. I get that those made videos that are defending you and there is this us (yt) vs them (media) mentality, but those channels are undeniably utter trash. If I had social media, I would call him out on that.

That said, from watching his content every now and then I have no reason to believe PDP is alt right. And I mostly agree with this video.

Lulubop

I don't really understand what's going on? Am I supposed to sympathize with someone who's shitty "jokes" had dire consequences for him? Just because "the media" has it out for him, even if some of them are hypocritical, doesn't mean he didn't do what he did, or that he shouldn't suffer for it? Why exactly are people defending him, especially when he's turning to certified pieces of shit for mutual support and validation?

You right

Fhtagn

It is a dumb as fuck PR move to accept help from people who make you seem worse than you already seem. He needs professional help with this. Instead he's just elevating the profile of one of the worst people on YouTube.

And, isn't it obvious that if the WSJ has a journalist on staff with a serious conflict of interest, they'll fire him and move on? Plagiarizism scandals happen fairly regularly but the Atlantic and NYT etc are still deeply respected institutions. Folks acting like PDP has "eviscerated" the WSJ are embarrassing themselves.

WSJ forgot that Felix has an army of vocal followers that will harass, troll and possibly hack WSJ and some affiliates.

It was a good try tho. Good publicity for Pewds.
So we are encouraging doxing now? Witch hunts on journalists you don't agree with? Isn't this the exact same tactic from the Gamergater crew and all that bullshit? If you know you have an army of vocal followers, maybe take that into account and deal with that responsibility.

"Good publicity" got his show cancelled and how sponsors dropped.

Kinyou

I liked how he used the Daily Stormer as an argument in his favor. Dude doesn't have a clue.
I'm afraid that the Pewdiepie show will turn from a diet racism kind of dudebro white guy thing into a full blown alt-right show with the kind of people he is associating with.
In case you don't know that was a reference to the Dailystormer having "The world's #1 PewDiePie fansite" written on their site. People asked why he didn't distance himself from it, but now the WSJ is apparently not distancing themselves from it either.

Fuchsdh

New PewDiePie video

The whole thing about Ben Fritz is fucking embarrassing. Same goes for J.K. Rowling.
And the WSJ contacting nearly all his sponsors before contacting PDP first...... yeah, you know what they tried.
(PewDiePie knows, because his sponsors told him that they got contacted by the WSJ guys.)

Since I pointed it out in the other thread, that JK Rowling image is a fucking Photoshop. But please, let's talk about how it's the mainstream media that's solely responsible for smearing people.

Even still, their points were shoddy as best and that vox headline was just stupid. Maybe they can stop trying to turn people into villains.

Completely agree. Maybe we should reserve words like fascism and nazi's for cases when it's really warranted. Throwing them around as easily like this is shameful. No nuance in politics anymore I guess.

Silvard

Because he's right in a lot of ways and makes a lot of good points about the WSJ?

But nah, he took one dark joke too far, hope his career burns am I right?

A lot of people are right in a lot of ways, and make great points about many things, but that doesn't absolve them from the consequences of their actions. I don't hope that his career burns, the only one responsible for any burning bridges is himself.

Because this is a hipocritical witch hunt from the WSJ. Of course, if you had watched the video, you'd know that.

Yes, the Sargon of whatever link has me thinking.

The thing is, even if it's a hypocritical witch hunt from the WSJ, does that change what he got flak and got dropped for? Him lashing out at those who have attacked him, even if they themselves are hypocritical or use very contrived reasoning to look for something to pile up on him more, doesn't change anything about his own actions or the fact that others (Disney, YouTube, etc) will react to them.

Since I pointed it out in the other thread, that JK Rowling image is a fucking Photoshop. But please, let's talk about how it's the mainstream media that's solely responsible for smearing people.
When it's on Youtube, it's just a prank, bro /s

If I watch the video am I still giving PDP money?
I don't think I am comfortable with that.
If you get an ad, yes. But the amount is so tiny, don't worry too much about it if you are interested in his arguments.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Oh come on, Sargon is not a fascist. He's definitely a conservative, but that doesn't make him a fascist. Each side of the political divide has gotten so damn hyperbolic, it makes it impossible to have a an actual discussion.

He is a trump supporter who has essentially waved away everything Trump has done so far.

And incase you didn't catch just one of his gems, he literally thinks us black people have lower IQ's by default

That is not something to be defended. Your barometer for hyperbole is out of wack

Wow, Sargon of Akkad huh? That's pretty fucking pathetic Pewds. He's just upset that someone called him out for making videos for the lowest common denominator. Is is going to start making cuck jokes next?

Boke1879

Why is pewds linking to fucking Sargon? It's one thing to have Sargon defend you and you ignore it.

Now you're willingly linking to that content and associating with it. Fuck off.

Oh and for anyone defending Sargon or pewds associating with him. This man thinks on average I have a lower IQ because of my skin color. Fuck him and anyone who supports or defends him.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The WSJ is rightfully getting exposed for the garbage they post.

They are abusing their position in the media hierarchy and that entire hierarchy can't crumble fast enough.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Originally Posted by QuiteWhittle
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sargon_...2C_in_4_videos
There's is no denying that Black people on average have a lower distribution of a lower distribution of IQ
wow so these are the kind of people pdp chooses to associate himself with
WarmheartedRealBat.gif

The thing is, even if it's a hypocritical witch hunt from the WSJ, does that change what he got flak and got dropped for? Him lashing out at those who have attacked him, even if they themselves are hypocritical or use very contrived reasoning to look for something to pile up on him more, doesn't change anything about his own actions or the fact that others (Disney, YouTube, etc) will react to them.
I will not reply to your comment until you have watched the video, because it's in the video.

He is a trump supporter who has essentially waved away everything Trump has done so far.

And incase you didn't catch just one of his gems, he literally thinks us black people have lower IQ's by default

That is not something to be defended. Your barometer for hyperbole is out of wack

I'm sorry what. Yeah I'm gonna hop out of this thread. Learning about this dude has left me beyond disgusted.

I liked how he used the Daily Stormer as an argument in his favor. Dude doesn't have a clue.
I'm afraid that the Pewdiepie show will turn from a diet racism kind of dudebro white guy thing into a full blown alt-right show with the kind of people he is associating with.

The fuck is this? His show is not diet racist, and lol at people associating him with alt right. Everything and everyone you don´t agree with now is alt right, right? You are as bad as the people you hate.

It is a dumb as fuck PR move to accept help from people who make you seem worse than you already seem. He needs professional help with this. Instead he's just elevating the profile of one of the worst people on YouTube.

And, isn't it obvious that if the WSJ has a journalist on staff with a serious conflict of interest, they'll fire him and move on? Plagiarizism scandals happen fairly regularly but the Atlantic and NYT etc are still deeply respected institutions. Folks acting like PDP has "eviscerated" the WSJ are embarrassing themselves.

This I definitely agree with, Pew probably need to hire some PR person, my main point was just that someone you hate can make decent points now and again and admitting that doesn't mean you have to stop hating said someone.

ZeBraTurtle

Neo Member
People saying that he should just let it go dont understand what the heck happened to him in the first place.

Listen I like Pewdiepie so I may be a little biased but if you put 2 and 2 together you would realize that WSJ went out of there way to make the initial situation way worse then it actually was.

Anywho why in the world would Pewdiepie drop it when WSJ did the following things:

- Got his 2nd season of his show canceled
- Got him dropped from his sponsors
- Almost got him completely demonetized from youtube
- Did all this without contacting him first.

Just dont understand how people can say he can't be mad at them lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom