• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tamales Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
SaintZ said:
Fresa? First time I hear about those (and I'm not sure I would like them). Tamales de coco y piña FTW.
Fresa are the traditional not hot tamales. Also known as tamales De Dulce, sweet tamales.

About what taste better, it goes like: Green Tamales >> Pink (fresa) >> Red tamales (mole) >>>> everything else.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
EraldoCoil said:
California.... :lol

Me too!

I was raised in Mexico.

methos75 said:
I am technically Hispanic but cannot speak Spanish either, but I am fourth Generation so its too be expected I guess.

Yeah I thought he was actually from Mexico. Mexican American != Mexican

Jobiensis

rc213 said:
Sounds like your co-workers don't like you very much and are giving you junk.

If it was just me, sure. But my wife loves them and gets them from her co-workers and friends.

I find the texture of masa to be rather unpleasant.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
:lol

Great Thread

-honestly i've never had great mexican tamales. I was raised on colombian ones and those are the bomb. I think the masa is made out of something else

desertdroog

ConfusingJazz said:
What the hell? A guy from Chicago and a guy from Colorado arguing which is "Mexican central"?

That argument is reserved for California and Texas, friends. Arizona and New Mexico can't because they're too small to count.
Arizona and New Mexico has more authentic Mexican cuisine than the Anglicized Californian fusion or Tex-Mex bland style available to the mainstream.

The best "Mexican" restaraunt in Austin is owned by a Phoenix ex-pat and even I had to ask for the real stuff off the menu. Even then it was just ok.

Mind you I said mainstream..anyone with a NaNa living in the house will have the best available, even in the Midwest.

Jobiensis

ImperialConquest said:
Jobienses must have had a stroke because he's making ZERO sense at this point.

Huh, I don't make any sense because I don't like tamales.

Actually I do like these though
11mepo4.jpg

methos75 said:
I live in Colorado which is like Mexican central and I have never seen Tamales served at X-Mas, Chili on the other hand
I'm pretty sure Mexico is Mexican central. Followed by California and Texas.

oneHeero

ConfusingJazz said:
What the hell? A guy from Chicago and a guy from Colorado arguing which is "Mexican central"?

That argument is reserved for California and Texas, friends. Arizona and New Mexico can't because they're too small to count.
:lol

I was thinking the same thing. wtf lol

I live in San Antonio, TX, home to the best tamales! Hispanic central!

ZoddGutts

tomjenkins said:
Tamales, when done right, are blissful

when done wrong, they are the spawn of Satan

Pretty much. I've had both good and bad Tamales. When it's good it taste incredible. Depending on the tamale I put Salsa on it.

oneHeero

desertdroog said:
Arizona and New Mexico has more authentic Mexican cuisine than the Anglicized Californian fusion or Tex-Mex bland style available to the mainstream.

The best "Mexican" restaraunt in Austin is owned by a Phoenix ex-pat and even I had to ask for the real stuff off the menu. Even then it was just ok.

Mind you I said mainstream..anyone with a NaNa living in the house will have the best available, even in the Midwest.
Really? I mean if your going based off some city wide award the restaurant received couldnt it just be that your taste is wrong(lol wrong opinions)? I mean seriously how can anyone say what restaurant is the best restaurant? The hole in the wall ones in my area are great compared to the bigger chains (taqueira jalisco #6:lol ) etc

methos75 said:
Colorado and Texas are equal according to the latest census in the number of Illegal Mexicans they have so........

Only illegal immigrants count? :lol

I'm going to eat a tamal (yes there is no "e" at the end of a single tamal) in a bit. My mom makes tamales for three families. She rocks them out quick and tasty! Thumbs up to who ever said frying them the next day is a good idea.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
desertdroog said:

Which one is this?
I live in Austin and would like to know.
I'm pretty partial to Curra's and LaFeria but fucking hate Guerro's and Chuy's but I'm no expert.
Just curious.

Ulairi

Banned
CaptYamato said:
I'm waiting for the inevitable Tri-Tip sucks thread. One day it will happen and I will freak out and end up banned.

I will join you in that battle.

Tri-Tip + Chacka's MMMMMMM...... Sauce = heaven.

tamales are fuckin awesome :D

question: when im done making tamales some of them(masa) is still mushy and look uncooked..... why is this??

am i putting to much in the steamer?? am i putting to much filling?? what might be the cause of this and any suggestions of how to fix this

thx GAF :D

you guys are eating shitty tamales. I've had my share of bad tamales, but when you find someone who knows what they're doing they're fucking ridiculous. The best I've had were made by immigrants who live in the neighborhood, or my grandma/aunts.

kIdMuScLe

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
tamales are fuckin awesome :D

question: when im done making tamales some of them(masa) is still mushy and look uncooked..... why is this??

am i putting to much in the steamer?? am i putting to much filling?? what might be the cause of this and any suggestions of how to fix this

thx GAF :D
either is too thick, not cooking at right temp., or it still needs more time. those are my guesses

Luixfern

Some people just ain't living. Tamales de Pavo for Thanksgiving are the the greatest thing ever. Also, turkey tamales > pork tamales.

kIdMuScLe said:
either is too thick, not cooking at right temp., or it still needs more time. those are my guesses
i dont think there to thick cause my moms done it that thick before(but we are using a different steamer this year), and she cooks them for about 4 hours.

can water drip from the lid and get into the tamales?? wtf is going wrong this year!!! :lol :lol

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
TOM f'N CRUISE said:
Wrong. Tamales need to be cocked with the sauce, so the masa acquires the taste. And is that cheese, onion and tomato? ugh... Pico de gallo doesn't mix with other sauces. if well made, it should stand on its own. No wonder the OP dislikes USA's tamales.

This is more like it:

imaboletin16862590.jpeg

Yeah sometimes it's frustrating for us Mexicans living in Mexico to see bastardized recipes presented as "the real thang"; I can get behind some adaptation for the American palate, but damn...'tho I will eat anything including the tamales tom cruz posted.

edit: Lonely1, tortas de tamal? really? uggghh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom