• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tank! Tank! Tank! goes free-to-play on Wii U in Europe

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does one of the free modes include the one where you put your face on a giant robot gorilla and your kids blast the fuck out of it? That looked kind of fun in previews (but not enough to pay full price for it)

blurrygil

It was only $50 and seeing as I've played it for about 15 hours and still haven't won it, it's got more game than a lot of commercial releases. It's just not obvious because none of the reviewers bothered to play past level 10 due to being oh-so-offended that they needed to earn medals by replaying previous levels.

It's a simple game, but it's a fun little co-op game. It's kind of like a shorter, simpler Dynasty Warriors.

I'm still enjoying it. Beats dropping an entire $1 for only 3-4 mins at the arcades. It's a fun little progressive game with some pretty epic boss battles.

It definitely was hindered by the lack of online. But again, I really enjoyed it!

does one of the free modes include the one where you put your face on a giant robot gorilla and your kids blast the fuck out of it? That looked kind of fun in previews (but not enough to pay full price for it)

That's Kong mode, and it is not listed in the modes we'll be getting for free.
I played it one evening with some friends and it was fun, but that ape is waaaaaay overpowered.
So glad I borrowed this for that evening from a store where a friend of mine works

Raven77

Well I mean this makes sense.

The general consumer that can't do math will eat this up.

Now they can piece out the game and charge $300 for the entire experience rather than $60.

Welcome to your upcoming future.

P.S.

I wonder how game reviews would work when they can't review the entire experience without paying 4x the price of a normal retail game.

Xater

The game is up. right now it would cost you around 32€ to make it the full game, but one of the DLC parts is also right now on sale for 1,99 instead of 9,99. he one where one of the players is the monster.

Or even the general message board poster who ignores facts to proclaim the sky is falling.

This, piecemeal, is cheaper than buying it retail even now.

Not quite for those of us in the UK. If you're buying everything, it costs a little over £25. You can get the retail version for £20 from zavvi, or £23 from amazon if you don't like zavvi.

Xater

Not quite for those of us in the UK. If you're buying everything, it costs a little over £25. You can get the retail version for £20 from zavvi, or £23 from amazon if you don't like zavvi.

Yup, the DLC should be a little more aggressively priced. But from what I have heard the only realy way to have fun is MP so just getting that stuff is probably still cheaper.

Xater

After playing a few matches free seems to be the right price. This game is way too simplistic. I could see how one could make it way more interesting.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I really hope that Smash Bros. goes this route. I would much rather have the game sooner, free to play, and new downloadable characters every other week than waiting 3 more years for a release with no precedent for updates and tweaks.. Ugh.

Didn't think much of the multiplayer, but bought the story mode and am having a good time with it so far. Simple and requires playing missions multiple times to unlock more, but there are loads of tanks and they're unique enough that replaying missions and fighting the same enemies/bosses isn't too samey.

I really hope that Smash Bros. goes this route. I would much rather have the game sooner, free to play, and new downloadable characters every other week than waiting 3 more years for a release with no precedent for updates and tweaks.. Ugh.

shaking-my-head-picture.gif

bennyc12

Most people buy Nintendo systems for 1st-party games. I think f2p has the potential to kickstart 3rd party development for Wii U.

Where the hell was the foresight on this one? Did they really expect us to dish out 60 dollars for this? Hell I own a Wii U and if I was in europe I wouldn't even download it...well maybe since we are lacking titles atm :p

Where the hell was the foresight on this one? Did they really expect us to dish out 60 dollars for this? Hell I own a Wii U and if I was in europe I wouldn't even download it...well maybe since we are lacking titles atm :p

not sure how much it was sold in the usa for but it was never a full price title in the uk, it really is worth downloading though, great fun, will definitely be buying a few dlc packs for it too

anastazius

Neo Member
I don't see the game on the eShop :\

Its not out until tomorrow (Thursday) EU only for now.

Oh it IS out? Cool I'll grab it I guess.

I tried the main full game a bit ago and liked it, though thought at the time it would have suited a £10 eShop release rather than a retail full priced game.

do not listen to this man, its pretty mindless but its great fun

How? You control with ONE button (fire) and ONE analogue stick (move). No aiming higher or lower, no turning the turret, no camera control, no other stuff. As all the stages will sooner or later be leveled with the ground offering no protection you're reduced to pointing in the general area of the enemy and mash the button.

If the enemy is flying or is above you you can't see it or aim higher for it. It's SO DULL, and they make you replay the stages over and over to unlock new ones.

How? You control with ONE button (fire) and ONE analogue stick (move). No aiming higher or lower, no turning the turret, no camera control, no other stuff. As all the stages will sooner or later be leveled with the ground offering no protection you're reduced to pointing in the general area of the enemy and mash the button.

If the enemy is flying or is above you you can't see it or aim higher for it. It's SO DULL, and they make you replay the stages over and over to unlock new ones.

sometimes the simplest games can be the most fun

Sqorgar

Banned

There is some strategy to the game in the three weapons you have on your tank. It's also playable with two players, and you'll get better rewards if you work together and coordinate who attacks what and who gets which power up. Later levels have more difficult time limits, and there is a simple achievement system for accomplishing a specific goal on levels, like beating level 1 with all the buildings destroyed.

Vertical aiming is automatic. The reticule will target flying enemies as long as you are pointing in their direction.

The replaying thing is only an issue early on when you only have a couple tanks and a couple levels. By the time you've got 20+ tanks and 50+ levels to choose from, you have plenty of variety available. I haven't seen medal-locked progress since the first dozen levels. Also, the first level takes about 30 seconds and is easily winnable with any tank. In the world of grinding, that's pretty painless.

It's not a DEEP game. And it never becomes deep. But the levels are short, the game is fun in short bursts, and it does open up a bit when you've got more levels and tanks unlocked. My recommendation is to play with friends, and at least keep with the game until you've got a few tanks and levels unlocked.

Glass Joe

I rented it and it was redundant as shit. You don't even use an analog to aim your turret. But free to play? Sure, I'll download. And if that DLC packs are that cheap in the US too for a limited time, I'll grab those too.

Shallow but a few bucks worth of fun is a good deal.

KDR_11k

I bought the campaign for 10€ since I figure I won't ever play it in MP anyway. Kinda tempted to pick up My Kong as the Eurogamer review calls that the only worthwhile part of the game.

I thought the same thing with Earth Defense Force. This game reminds me a lot of it, looking at gameplay.

It's actually far, far simpler than EDF. The controls are like Doom without strafing (EDF has a "simple" control scheme presumably intended for Japanese gamers who don't play shooters that's a bit similar), the arenas are TINY, enemies aren't all that numerous (they spawn in waves of usually around 5 and you need to kill 60 or so per level) and some get stuck on terrain. You choose between tanks that each have three weapons (one unlimited ammo normal gun, one common bonus gun and one rare gun that's usually a superweapon of sorts) so a much smaller arsenal though perhaps with a little less redundancy. There's no difficulty selection like EDF has either.

I was never a big fan of car combat in general because it seems that only being able to fire in the direction you're moving doesn't offer enough options for engaging gameplay and despite their turrets the tanks in TTT cannot shoot sideways at all. Even the EDF tank allows individual turret aiming.

Most of the tanks seem to have a yellow ammo-limited gun that's markedly worse against mooks than their regular main gun (usually because it fires slower and won't kill more than one enemy per attack either), it's worth using against bosses but in mook combat it feels like a power DOWN.

The art style makes me want Gotcha Force 2.

KDR_11k

Technically they probably could but Namco-Bandai doesn't strike me as the kind of company that would add major features in patches.

Top Bottom