• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for Wii Finally Confirmed !!!

TreIII

yurinka said:
The kid/casual friendly minigames included and the Wii exclusive character are, at least, embarassing. A math related minigame? WTF

I really don't see what the issue is here. Again, they more than likely WON'T be necessary for you to touch in order to get the game experience verbatim from the arcade. The most I'm expecting is that you may need to conquer the Math game in order to unlock the Genie (who actually hails from another old Tatsunoko show), but I can't imagine that much else.

And for the record, this seems to be doing more to just copy a bit from the Rival Schools series. The Japanese versions of the games always included silly mini-games, a board game, and other random stuff (like Create a Char).

All this does is just make for more interesting stuff for casuals to be elated by, which equates with (ideally) more sales, and everybody is happy.

So, again, I say, whatever. As long as it does only more to make a splash with the Japanese, that means the game should sell well, and this can go on to be a lucrative series for Capcom.

gimz said:
Taito Type X2?

No. If it was Taito X2, this game would look VERY differently, as Taito X2, used to its upper limits, FAR EXCEEDS what the Wii is capable of (see SF4).

We'll probably find out the answer this weekend, at the AM Show. But beyond that, we don't know anything else, yet.

Vargas said:
Have they revealed all the playable characters yet?

And no, again. :D

From what I heard, game is supposedly 70% complete, and is rumored to probably tap out around 20-22 characters. We have 17 at the moment (included the new guy). The last group of characters should definitely by probably the end of November.

On another note....damn, Threi. I REALLY didn't know that I had so many posts in that older Tatsu thread. :lol

who cares about the minigames? It's not that you've got to play em to advance in the story mode. They're a bonus, just pretend they're not there

blu said:
gecko's a breeze and usually gets the job done. just sayin.
TunaLover said:
i think is enough with the tp hack, hbc, there some advances in getting ''back-ups'' running direct on the console, including japanese ones iirc.

thanks, I'll be installing both. I still have that shit Wankinoko's region changer, works like ass

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I thought the Genie was Wii only. Thats means he might not be one of the 20-22 characters in the arcade version

Tenbatsu

Eteric Rice said:
Any other games using this arcade board?
I bet more and more Capcom fighters will utilize this board as its cheaper to produce games for it. Darkstalkers might be next. If you think about it, you can roughly tell where Capcom is heading, they are following SEGA's Dreamcast way of producing arcade and console version at the same time to save development cost. They are trying to create a fighter user based on Wii with this just like how they did with RE. Taito X2 will be use for higher budget title like SF instead.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
TreIII said:
No. If it was Taito X2, this game would look VERY differently, as Taito X2, used to its upper limits, FAR EXCEEDS what the Wii is capable of (see SF4).

We'll probably find out the answer this weekend, at the AM Show. But beyond that, we don't know anything else, yet.
while i agree with you that the board is most likely not a taito type x2 (just because there've been hints against that) and that we'll know soon what it actually is, judging about arcade hw by the looks of an arbitrary game running on it is quite futile. for all we know the arcade version may be running on anything from naomi2 to system 357.

MisterHero

HK-47 said:
I thought the Genie was Wii only. Thats means he might not be one of the 20-22 characters in the arcade version
I don't know about other poster translations, but one I read on Shoryuken said that the Wii version would have console-exclusive characters

one of them will be mario I hope, heehee

Hmm maybe if its 1=light 2=med 1+2=strong and a=partner then this could control well enough to not invest in peripherals.
Do any attacks or techniques require pressing more than one attack button at the same time?
Sorry to be a broken record.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
TreIII said:

"Used to its upper limits" being the key here. KOF Maximum Impact Regulation A is a Type X2 game; the game is an upgrade to the PS2 KOF MI2, and looks essentially the same. Regulation A also got a PS2 port. Alternatively it could be a Type X game; following SNK again, KOF '98 UM is Type X IIRC.

But I think it's obvious the game is on some new Wii-compatible arcade board...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What, it's on the Wii?

No Online 1080p Co-op leaderboards? No power of Blu-Ray hadokens? No Cell based Sonic Booms? No SIXAXIS super jumps?

:lol :lol :lol

blu

EmCeeGramr said:
Hmm maybe if its 1=light 2=med 1+2=strong and a=partner then this could control well enough to not invest in peripherals.
don't want to 'invest' in a classic controller? really? c'me on now! now, c'me on! after all it's a fighter, for crying out loud.

TreIII

Lyte Edge said:
"Used to its upper limits" being the key here. KOF Maximum Impact Regulation A is a Type X2 game; the game is an upgrade to the PS2 KOF MI2, and looks essentially the same. Regulation A also got a PS2 port.

I know. That's why I specified as such. :D

At this point in the game though, I would imagine that any and all games that Capcom will craft on the X2 will probably utilize some iteration of SF4's engine.

But I think it's obvious the game is on some new Wii-compatible arcade board...

Yeah, sounds about right.

Part of me wonders if we'll finally get the scoop a number of us are waiting on, and we'll finally get the name of that board the next few days (AM Show, and all).

If the board is indeed Nintendo proprietary, that will only serve to make the name of the game all the more interesting...especially if it stands to do more to make an actual splash in the arcade market (something the TriForce didn't quite do).

blu said:
don't want to 'invest' in a classic controller? really? c'me on now! now, c'me on! after all it's a fighter, for crying out loud.

I hate peripherals man.
Just read some of the advanced techniques that mentioned using all three attack buttons while guarding and other shit. Wiimote alone and gonna cut it. As for the everyone elses preferences, Theyre severely limiting the appeal of a genre based around multiplayer when you have to buy at least two classic controllers just to play it competently. Unless of course they pack two classics in every sku or bundle it with two official arcade sticks likewise.
Official wii arcade sticks would be kind of sexy though...
No NO NOOO. Must latch on to neurotic demands. Excuse me, I have to go pry my head out of my ass.

dacuk

border said:
What was the last Capcom fighting game that stayed exclusive to a single home platform? This will see a PS2 port, at the very least.

Tech Romancer / Kikaioh?

199-1.jpg

Olaeh

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but this has a good shot of outselling SFIV in Japan doesn't it? A very good shot I assume.

donkey show said:
As for the comment about the Hori sticks for the Wii, they're basically the same as the PS3 Hori Fighting Stick/SC4 etc. Decent, but not outstanding. I will mod both of mine for octagonal gates and semitsu buttons real soon.

Ah, so its not as bad as I thought. Will still buy, thanks :)

blu

Saint Gregory said:
Has the board been officially shown yet? I would think that this announcement confirms that it is Wii-based would would be good news for everyboby considering how expensive the boards were getting.
though you have a point, board price may not be the major factore here, as arcade boards have traditionally been expensive (when new). another factor is of high importance in the arcades, though, and a wii-based board would really offer a break-through on the present arcade market (which has been occupied more and more by embedded pc's). i'm speaking of cost of operation & reliability - two things you'd really care about if you were an arcade hall operator. while power draw affects running costs directly, it also affects indirectly reliability in the long run - through PSU and cabinet designs. remember, arcade cabinets are machines that go ~24/7 for years on - you'd really want them power-efficient and durable.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hardly core gamers getting a taste of what it's like to have a Wii third party exclusive that appeals to them, despite the fact that it hasn't been confirmed as an exclusive yet?

Yeah, it's hilarious. :D

Lyte Edge

TreIII said:
Part of me wonders if we'll finally get the scoop a number of us are waiting on, and we'll finally get the name of that board the next few days (AM Show, and all).

When and where is that AM Show, anyway? I have to go to the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo monday, but I am leaving sunday and will have most of the day free...

EDIT: Aw crap, it looks like it ends saturday. Oh well.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
To any Houston GAFfer: do you know of any store that might import TatsuCap as soon as it comes out in Japan? If not I'll buy it online, but I'd prefer to get it on some kind of retail.

Nocebo

Ok now I HAVE to buy this game. Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to beat the stuffing out of that stupid genie, seriously.

Gagaman

daCuk said:
Tech Romancer / Kikaioh?

199-1.jpg
Project Justice: Rival Schools 2. I was quite surprized when Capcom never ported this to the PS2, considering the first game was pretty popular on the PS1.

Lyte Edge

daCuk said:
Tech Romancer / Kikaioh?

Plus Plasma Sword, Project Justice, Street Fighter III W Impact, Basara X, Vampire Darkstalkers Collection, Street Fighter EX1, EX2+, EX3, Fate/Stay Coliseum, and the upcoming Fate Unlimited Codes port looks to be PS2-only. So it happens. The latest Sengoku Basara game is going to be PSP-only too, from the looks of it.

Odd that Basara X never got a Wii release.

It's too early to talk about the so-called "Wii-compatible arcade board". It is still a RUMOR. In my opinions, and from what I heard, it seems more likely that it is simply a certain version of Taito Type X2 (with a Wii-like specs perhaps?).

wsippel

Banned
AnimeTheme said:
It's too early to talk about the so-called "Wii-compatible arcade board". It is still a RUMOR. In my opinions, and from what I heard, it seems more likely that it is simply a certain version of Taito Type X2 (with a Wii-like specs perhaps?).
Well, there most definitely is a Wii based arcade platform. I remember an article about it, from early 2007 if I remember correctly. And some developer was working on several titles for that platform - I actually believe it was Capcom.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm GAGGING for this game.

My most anticipated thing on anything by far. I lost count of the hours we played Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. SUCH a good game.

I really thought the OTT versus fighters were a thing of the past.

When TvC was shown, it was running on a 480p Viewlix cabinet, which is Taito Type X2 specific. Look, lots of games run on Type X2, and they're all over the scale. Fucking Sengoku Basara X (on the PS2) is a Type X2 game. Fate/Unlimited Codes (probably a PS2/Wii game) is a Type X2 game. Trouble Witches is a Type X2 game.

This is what a Type X2 is:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400/Pentium 4 651/Celeron D 352 (up to latest Core 2 CPUs supported by the chipset)
Chipset: Intel Q965 + ICH8
Monitor: 720p/1080p/1440p HD LCD Monitor
RAM: DDR2 667/800MHz (512MB/1GB, up to 4GB)
GPU: PCI Express x16-based graphics. Support cards include ATI RADEON X1600Pro/X1300LE or nVIDIA GeForce 7900GS/7600GS/7300GS, up to latest graphic cards (Radeon HD 3800 or Geforce 9800 series)
Sound: Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 channel Sound (supports add-in sound cards)
LAN: 10/100/1000 BASE-T
I/O ports: 1x JVS, 4x USB 2.0 (up to 8), 1x serial (max 2), 1x parallel port, 2x PS/2, 2x SATA
Audio inputs: AKG C535EB Stage Microphone, line-in (Surround 7.1)
Audio outputs: 7.1, SPDI/FX
Expansion Slots: 1x PCI Express x16 (used by video card), 1x PCI Express x4, 2x PCI
Storage: 2x 80 GB 10k RPM SATA Hard Drives
Media: 80 GB 10000 rpm Hard Drive

Chances are that TvC is running on a lower, cheaper build of the system so Capcom can sell more of them in Japan and make more money. It's on the Wii because more people own them than they do 360s or PS3s. And the game does not look out of the Wii's graphical range - in fact the Wii version will probably be arcade perfect. If TvC gets a HD port, then whatever.

wsippel said:
Well, there most definitely is a Wii based arcade platform. I remember an article about it, from early 2007 if I remember correctly. And some developer was working on several titles for that platform - I actually believe it was Capcom.
I think you're thinking of Bandai Namco wanting to have an arcade/Wi-Fi Connect gaming network for specific games. That was this year-ish.

yurinka

Mr. Pointy said:
When TvC was shown, it was running on a 480p Viewlix cabinet, which is Taito Type X2 specific. Look, lots of games run on Type X2, and they're all over the scale. Fucking Sengoku Basara X (on the PS2) is a Type X2 game. Fate/Unlimited Codes (probably a PS2/Wii game) is a Type X2 game. Trouble Witches is a Type X2 game.

This is what a Type X2 is:

Chances are that TvC is running on a lower, cheaper build of the system so Capcom can sell more of them in Japan and make more money. It's on the Wii because more people own them than they do 360s or PS3s. And the game does not look out of the Wii's graphical range - in fact the Wii version will probably be arcade perfect. If TvC gets a HD port, then whatever.

I think you're thinking of Bandai Namco wanting to have an arcade/Wi-Fi Connect gaming network for specific games. That was this year-ish.
So no Wii hardware for the arcade version confirmed, uses the same board than SFIV but with lower specs in order to fit it in a Wii. Since it's PC based, it's easier and cheaper to port it everywhere.

BTW, Fate/Unlimited Codes will (or was) a PS2 game. So if they want the can port TvC to PS3/X360/PS2/PC, or even to PSP whitout spending too much.

Lyte Edge

Wasn't Basara X System 246 (or 256?)

Tenbatsu said:
I think it has to be Wii compatible or else they cant port it so dam fast.

Some of the Type X games have also had fast ports. Regulation A hit the PS2 like four weeks after the arcade version released.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
LOL

Basara X AND F:UC is 256. Heck, even Gundam vs. Gundam 1 and 2 are both 256. And they are all having a PS2/PSP port.

And it has been confirmed that the arcade is a wii-combatible board.

yurinka

Ookami-kun said:
LOL

Basara X AND F:UC is 256. Heck, even Gundam vs. Gundam 1 and 2 are both 256. And they are all having a PS2/PSP port.

And it has been confirmed that the arcade is a wii-combatible board.
Gundam vs Gundam isn't a Capcom game. It was made by Banpresto.

BTW, System 246/256 are evolutions of PS2 based boards, not Wii boards.

Tenbatsu

yurinka said:
Gundam vs Gundam isn't a Capcom game. It was made by Banpresto.

BTW, System 246/256 are evolutions of PS2 based boards, not Wii boards.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation VS Zeon
Mobile Suit Gundam: AEUG Vs Titans
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: Federation vs ZAFT

Capcom dude. But if ya talking bout the new one maybe yes.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
as previously mentioned but just to reiterate, the Hori Wii Fighting stick is IDENTICAL to the DOA4/SCIV fighting sticks for PS3/360. This means it can be modded the exact same way as well (file away button tabs, grind away bottom plate for new stock/gate, etc). It is a wiimote add-on (like the classic controller) which is why the stick is cheaper than the other ones. But aside from that it is the same stick.

The notion that Capcom is trying to turn the Wii into a fighter home is interesting. I have to admit as much as I am looking forward to this I don't entirely think that would be a great idea. On the one hand, it WOULD allow for less expensive development, faster console ports, etc. And really, there IS NO next-gen capcom fighter console yet, so arguably the field is wide open. On the other hand, Wii is obviously vastly underpowerd compared to the other two meaning that, while games would still look great, it would limit on where these games could go graphically. I don't think many of the meltdowns we've seen the last day or so are from the fighting community as much as "Wii-less owners" in the fighting community.

Frankly I see a place for both. The SFIV's on 360/PS3, and the and a number of substance over style releases for Wii. By the end of the generation even the core gamers will have Wiis regardless, so at that point I don't think it will matter what system these games come out for. But while I don't know if it would be great to see the Wii become THE console for fighters, I do know that having the Wii replace the PS2 for it's current role probably wouldn't be the worst thing.

yurinka

Tenbatsu said:
Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation VS Zeon
Mobile Suit Gundam: AEUG Vs Titans
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: Federation vs ZAFT

Capcom dude. But if ya talking bout the new one maybe yes.
Yes, these were Capcom games. But "Gundam vs Gundam" is another one, deved by Banpresto and published by Namco Bandai (will be released in PSP, too):
http://gundam-vs.jp/

TreIII said:
Yes, but not all Taito X2 look as good as SFIV. It's obvious they didn't pushed it to its limits to fit the game in a Wii.

I found a Taito X2 Game List in Wikipedia (maybe has some mistakes and missing games):
* Aquarian Age Alternative (2006)
* Battle Fantasia (2006)
* BlazBlue (2008)
* Chase H.Q. 2 (2007)
* Eternal Wheel (2007)
* KOF Maximum Impact Regulation A (2007)
* KOF Maximum Impact Regulation A 2 (2008)
* Samurai Shodown: Edge of Destiny (2008)
* Street Fighter IV (2008)
* The King of Fighters XII (2008)
* Trouble Witches AC (2008)

Zabka

borghe said:
But while I don't know if it would be great to see the Wii become THE console for fighters, I do know that having the Wii replace the PS2 for it's current role probably wouldn't be the worst thing.
The Wii is as close to becoming the fighter console as the 360 is to becoming the platformer console.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Zabka said:
The Wii is as close to becoming the fighter console as the 360 is to becoming the platformer console.
but frankly, the 360 is as close to becoming the fighter console as it is to becoming the platformer console. :\ In over 3 years time it will have gotten two notable franchises (sorry DOA and SC). Meanwhile PS3 will have 3 (VF, SF, Tekken). Wii will now have 2 (CvX, GG, not counting anthologies). What does all of this tell you? It tells me that the PS2 is still the fighter system of choice, that's what. And that bar a release here or there the next gen field is currently wide open for fighters. You can pound your chest that PS360 will get the fighters all you want, but as far as core fighting games go, they're still being split among all three systems or else going back to the PS2.

Threi

notag
Nash said:
I'm GAGGING for this game.

My most anticipated thing on anything by far. I lost count of the hours we played Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. SUCH a good game.

I really thought the OTT versus fighters were a thing of the past.
Right now this and SFIV are by FAR my most wanted console games this gen.

The fact that this is on the Wii makes it even sweeter. It reinforces my position that all 3 consoles have games that i want.

Top Bottom