• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tea |OT| Oh, tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need for fancy machinery for me. This stuff does the job well.

Tatley-1__14479_zoom.JPG

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm sorry to quote myself, but nobody has answered this question. I do appreciate the OP's iced tea post, which is what I will be doing from now on. That sounds delicious! I'm kind of a minimalist, so I'd probably only sweeten it with honey. Does honey go well with iced green tea?

Sorry! I had meant to reply to your post before, but I clearly missed it.

It's a question that is kind of hard to answer. I was going to cover the cold brew method in my iced tea post, but I edited it out for clarity.

Basically, the cold brew method has you using cold water and placing the tea in the fridge overnight (for roughly eight hours). It does produce a mellower tasting tea, which is why your coworker probably called it "tea flavored water." A lot of people prefer this method for black tea, as it can help cut down on the bitterness. There's nothing wrong with the method and if it is producing results you enjoy, keep with it.

The method I chose to outline in my iced tea post mainly serves my need to produce a random cup of iced tea from the stupidly large collection of tea I have. It's quick, easy, and produces great, consistent results, but it isn't the superior method that everyone should adopt or anything.

And yes, honey and green tea go together oh-so-well.

Ripclawe

Banned
from Sri Lanka via the dollar store... I don't what is really in it but its strong and get me moving better than most green teas I have tried.
51VVqrKQkxL.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Mostly a coffee drinker, but I'll have a cup of green ginger tea (via Teaopia) a couple times per week. Black milk bubble tea on occasion as well.

morningbus

Kind of a stupid question, but:

When is it "safe" to pour boiling water into your teapot of choice? This is what I have:

http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?V=1&Sec=4&Sub=24&PID=21

Pouring boiling water directly into this *seems* like a bad idea, but I could be wrong.

Don't worry. It's designed to take the boiling water. Thermal shock is only a problem if the pot is very, very cold (like, put into the fridge or freezer). Just dump that hot water in.

Where can I find this contraption?

They're relatively popular and a few companies sell them. I have what looks to be an identical teacup/infuser set from Adagio (Adagio Store | On Amazon.com). You could also get your own strainer basket that fits into a mug or cup you already have. I like this one from Finnum. It's available in two sizes, so make sure you tick the large option if you know you need it. Otherwise, you should be fine with the normal size.

morningbus

Tea is a very stupid empty headed girl.

She's easily the worst companion I've known.

God damn you really are trying to own that least favorite poster title.

I don't know what you're referencing. Only this thread comes up in google searches.

kudos.

They're relatively popular and a few companies sell them. I have what looks to be an identical teacup/infuser set from Adagio (Adagio Store | On Amazon.com). You could also get your own strainer basket that fits into a mug or cup you already have. I like this one from Finnum. It's available in two sizes, so make sure you tick the large option if you know you need it. Otherwise, you should be fine with the normal size.

I actually have the personalitea from adagio, I'm surprised I didn't catch that.

i'd like to try some Korean teas and see you have a few there... any specific sort you can suggest? i've seen a lot of them with ginseng.

Gingseng tea is... an acquired tasted to say the least. It's potent and really really strong.

My mom used to force-feed me that stuff when I was sick thinking that it would help me, but all it did was trigger my gag reflex.

The other Korean ones I do like though; the Bori cha (Barley tea) and the ginger teas are particularly ones that I like.

Piecake

i'd like to try some Korean teas and see you have a few there... any specific sort you can suggest? i've seen a lot of them with ginseng.

Im not a huge fan of korean teas (or at least the kind they serve at the korean restaurants i went to). They just taste very grainy to me

Heel

morningbus, I got that pomegranate white tea from Trader Joe's. Not bad! Do you usually add anything or just drink it as is?

morningbus

To expound on my distaste for Teavana, I've dragged up a visual comparison I did a while back:

Your average Yerba Mate (on the right, Matefactor Brand, with some stems; on the left, I believe, is Guayaki brand, which is just the leaves of the yerba mate plant):
SPvI1.jpg
guy.jpg

Now, those are my normal standards for a product that sells itself with the word "Mate" in the title. This is what Raspberry Lemon Riot Mate looks like:
tygsi.jpg

Certainly pretty and has a nice floral and fruity taste, but WHERE IS THE YERBA MATE? OH SHIT I FOUND IT AT THE END OF MY SPOON. Now, you may be thinking, "Morning, what about those long green things in there, are those stems like in your first picture?" To which I reply: what the hell do you think this is? A game? You think I'd post a picture that would in some way tarnish my reputation as an obsessive tea nerd? Screw you, man. Screw you.

That's lemongrass, man. Damn.

morningbus

The one tea I like from Teavana is Youthberry/orange citrus blend. The rest has been "meh" for me. Also, it's expensive.

DO NOT GET THEIR MOROCCAN MINT.

What's wrong with their moroccan mint? I mean, it isn't the best I've had and it certainly isn't the cheapest, but out of everything they sell it isn't the worst.

That honor goes to the Earl Grey White, if they even sell it still.

bob page

I see no point in going to overpriced places like Teavana when Upton Tea exists. Teavana's marketing blitz for the health benefits is surely baloney; although tea is definitely good for you, having the benefits narrowed down to specific ways it will impact you makes me cringe.

www.uptontea.com

Great quality- especially for the price. Love their sencha and genmaicha.

Anderson

Get through 8 cups a day at work anyway, so will be hard to drink more. Preference is Twinnings Breakfast tea and always have it strong, bit of milk and no sugar. Not a big tea snob, so I did buy in bulk once 1000 tea bags from costco, finished it in less then a year

Time to have a cup now

Rootbeer

Banned
What about teaware guys?

I'm in the market for a nice cup and/or brewing system. I very rarely brew a pot of tea, so single cup methods are more what I'm after.

Suggestions?

I currently rely mostly on this. It does the job but the glass is very fragile (already broke one!) and I'd kind of like something that has more character.

bob page

What about teaware guys?

I'm in the market for a nice cup and/or brewing system. I very rarely brew a pot of tea, so single cup methods are more what I'm after.

Suggestions?

I currently rely mostly on this. It does the job but the glass is very fragile (already broke one!) and I'd kind of like something that has more character.

I'm pretty sure Bodum makes something similar to that. Or you can just buy loose tea pouches from Adagio and use those for your mug.

morningbus

I see no point in going to overpriced places like Teavana when Upton Tea exists. Teavana's marketing blitz for the health benefits is surely baloney; although tea is definitely good for you, having the benefits narrowed down to specific ways it will impact you makes me cringe.

www.uptontea.com

Great quality- especially for the price. Love their sencha and genmaicha.

Agreed on all counts (and had a cup of their genmaicha just last night, too). I've never been disappointed with a tea from Upton. They're one of my go-to sources, especially because I live in the same state and everything is next day shipping.

What about teaware guys?

Suggestions?

I love the look of Bodum glassware, but I swear they make it out of the flimsiest glass imaginable. I had two Bodum french press beakers break on me then switched to a Bonjour and have been going strong for years now.

I like the Adagio mug/infuser set mentioned above on this page. It's very utilitarian and lacks personality, though.

This has some personality:
Ndtxt.jpg

But it's made entirely out of glass, increasing the risk of catastrophic failure.

This one has a bit of character and I really like Finum mesh filters.
7dGE3.jpg

O.DOGG

Ever since a friend got me one of those electric kettles I've been drinking about 1.5 liters of tea every day. There's this place that sells tea in bulk and it's quite cheap. I buy regular green tea. Can't say I understand much of teas but it's supposedly healthy.

What's wrong with their moroccan mint? I mean, it isn't the best I've had and it certainly isn't the cheapest, but out of everything they sell it isn't the worst.

That honor goes to the Earl Grey White, if they even sell it still.

Well, after that, I actually had no will to try out their other stuff. Youthberry blend is delicious though, albeit a bit sweet.

-KRS-

Man, Lipton's loose Earl Grey fucking sucks! I had some Twinnings Earl Grey the other week which I thought was pretty good, and yesterday I thought I should make some, but I only had a bag of Lipton's loose earl grey. But I thought whatever it'll probably be fine. It's earl grey how can you go wrong? But damn that shit was nasty.

I'm gonna head out to a tea store around here and buy some high quality tea instead. I've bought some green earl grey there in the past but it wasn't as good as black IMO. Gonna try their black earl grey next.

Oh and I'm usually a green tea kinda guy but lately I've been craving some good black tea.

Rootbeer

Banned
teaware suggestions

Thanks for the ideas. I'm scared of those handles, maybe i'm paranoid but they look like they'd be easy to snap off. Maybe I need to get away from glass... maybe some stoneware or something a little more traditional but with a modern twist... hmm. I've yet to find the perfect teaware that fits me :) I have a cabinet full of different cups :p It's a mess.

morningbus

Well, after that, I actually had no will to try out their other stuff. Youthberry blend is delicious though, albeit a bit sweet.

Oddly enough, I've never been that impressed with the Youthberry. I find I rather just have plain white tea.

I wonder if you prefer your Moroccan Mint with Peppermint? Teavana uses spearmint, and, as much as it pains me to say, they are correct. I love spearmint.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm scared of those handles, maybe i'm paranoid but they look like they'd be easy to snap off. Maybe I need to get away from glass... maybe some stoneware or something a little more traditional but with a modern twist... hmm. I've yet to find the perfect teaware that fits me :) I have a cabinet full of different cups :p It's a mess.

I'm with you. I'll post a picture of the stainless steel teaware I have later. It's baller shit. I even made my girlfriend promise to force me to buy a stainless steel french press if the one I have now ever breaks. It is actually impossible to express the kind of anger and sadness that was in my heart at the time my Bodum beaker broke.

Now: I swear I'll only say this like, two more times in this thread, but consider the french press. You already have all this drinkware, just get a one-size-fits all solution.

I drink a cup every afternoon, but my methodology is pretty lowbrow comparatively:

1. put a teabag in the cup (currently I have a box of Bigelow Earl Green, but I change it up all the time)
2. pour cold water in the cup
3. microwave it for 2:30
4. throw away the bag and drink it

I've been doing that for years. Maybe it's time to step it up!

You are in for a life altering experience when you join the loose leaf team.

Okay, I just bought a simple infuser that I can put in the mug I usually use. Because I like it. I have used some loose leaf now and then in past, using a tea ball, and I did think it was a little better, but the convenience of just using a tea bag trumped it, ultimately. I think this will be easy to just rinse out, though. Plus, it has a little dish with it, so I can just pull it and stay at my desk for the time being and rinse it out later in the day or next time I'm up:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JP1KPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I still don't have an electric kettle, though. Would microwaving the water in my mug, then dropping the infuser in be okay for now?

(Yes, I know I'm a complete cretin. But I drink it every afternoon, so I might as well make some effort, I guess.)

suzu

When it's hot, I like to drink iced milk tea (nai cha) plain or with tapioca pearls.

I usually drink green or jasmine at home. I don't buy my own tea leaves, because my parents or relatives like to gift them. lol.

morningbus

I still don't have an electric kettle, though. Would microwaving the water in my mug, then dropping the infuser in be okay for now?

(Yes, I know I'm a complete cretin. But I drink it every afternoon, so I might as well make some effort, I guess.)

Yeah, the microwave will absolutely work.

Sorry! I had meant to reply to your post before, but I clearly missed it.

It's a question that is kind of hard to answer. I was going to cover the cold brew method in my iced tea post, but I edited it out for clarity.

Basically, the cold brew method has you using cold water and placing the tea in the fridge overnight (for roughly eight hours). It does produce a mellower tasting tea, which is why your coworker probably called it "tea flavored water." A lot of people prefer this method for black tea, as it can help cut down on the bitterness. There's nothing wrong with the method and if it is producing results you enjoy, keep with it.

The method I chose to outline in my iced tea post mainly serves my need to produce a random cup of iced tea from the stupidly large collection of tea I have. It's quick, easy, and produces great, consistent results, but it isn't the superior method that everyone should adopt or anything.

And yes, honey and green tea go together oh-so-well.

No need to apologize, good sir! I greatly appreciate the work you've put into this thread.

Oh wow, 8 hours. I've been wayyy shorting it. But that's actually kind of convenient because I can put it in before bed and have it ready to go right when I wake up. Nice!

I still want to try your iced tea method though. Does it work with smaller cups, or mugs? That's really all I've got. Since I'm a green tea drinker I want to try your Lime Chiller recipe.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm. Looks nice enough, not sure if I want to have that and a mug though, plus it won't fit over my big mug. :p

Might just buy a tea infuser ball.

bob page

Hmm. Looks nice enough, not sure if I want to have that and a mug though, plus it won't fit over my big mug. :p

Might just buy a tea infuser ball.

Infuser balls aren't too amazing- it's sacrificing quality for convenience. The more room for the tea leaves to move, the better & more flavorful.

MjFrancis

I definitely have a problem.

Just so you can have an idea of scale, that's 5 pounds of yerba mate alone in those 2 back containers.
I feel much more comfortable regarding the scale of my own tea purchases, lol! You have an amazing assortment going on there, enough to keep you occupied for quite some time. You've earned you mark as the loose-leaf arbiter of teaGAF.

It all depends on your taste I suppose. While not adverse to sweets, I don't add anything to my tea and rarely add anything to my occasional coffee or espresso.

The Korean red ginseng, despite it's quantity, is only an occasional indulgence, usually followed by a cup of decent green tea or mixed with a cup of less decent green tea. It's not cut with anything else so that's a huge bonus in my book. Most herbal teas are mixed with garbage, sugar or are otherwise diluted. Also, I buy it cheap, but that's applicable with most of the tea I buy.

The Solomon's Seal is offered by local teriyaki houses had to accompany their meals. It's not camellia sinensis so it's not caffeinated, so I can sip it closer to the end of the day without affecting my sleep. It's soothing and mild, but like camellia sinensis it bitters if you steep it too long; with the particular variety I've bought the sweet spot for a good steep is 90 seconds.

The ginger is wretched. It is a box of twenty sugar packets flavored with ginger. Much worse than the mildly spiced 100% ginger tea behind it.

For bagged green tea the Kirkland brand matcha is good, there's definitely some better stuff out there but you can't find a better price for bagged matcha of this quality. The brown rice green tea is good, too, but nothing to write home about.

Unfortunately most of these are only reasonably priced at a Korean grocer. I've looked up Solomon's Seal online and it's closer to $12.00 for a box of twenty bags after shipping whereas the grocer I buy them from sells a box of 150 bags for $7.50.

morningbus

No need to apologize, good sir! I greatly appreciate the work you've put into this thread.

Oh wow, 8 hours. I've been wayyy shorting it. But that's actually kind of convenient because I can put it in before bed and have it ready to go right when I wake up. Nice!

I still want to try your iced tea method though. Does it work with smaller cups, or mugs? That's really all I've got. Since I'm a green tea drinker I want to try your Lime Chiller recipe.

Yeah, before I started using a french press, I would make iced tea via that method using a mug all the time. It's a bit more cumbersome, and be prepared to potentially make a mess, but it works. The important thing is to make sure you're using about half the liquid you'd normally use (or, if it is easier, put two teaspoons instead of 1 in and use the normal 1 cup of water; this will obviously make two cups of iced tea).

Anyone have this infuser/mug?

41ExOnEAcUL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Adagio-Teas-16-Ounce-Ingenuitea-Teapot/dp/B000FPN8TK/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1334600183&sr=1-1

I can't figure out how it works, but it's well reviewed. Looks great fro my desk.

Yeah, I used this exact device exclusively for about a year and a half. Mine ended up becoming unreliable, when the release mechanism at the bottom became loose and it would randomly deposit tea on my counter when it was brewing. It's a nice device though, and is basically a reverse french press.

morningbus

With the recent spat of warm weather in the American Northeast, it's about time to break out the Arnold Palmer.

Remember, pro-tip: freeze slices of lemon or lime and put into your glass along with ice. Next level shit right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom