• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWERD

At that age, with the way the market is looking, it may be in your best interest to do an online or associates(?) degree at least. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for stress over the long haul, unless you get married or another solid visa. A friend with a fake degree just had his visa cancelled, and new work visa applicants are being asked for apostilled diplomas here in Sichuan province.

Alternatively, look at less developed spots that won't be as strict (Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand etc.) and knock out a degree while you teach.

This is a field I would not want to be in without a BA & Celta/equivalent minimum.

Sure you will get hired but the job usually wont pay very well and you risk limiting yourself to all the scummy places. Without a BA & certificate you will be passed on by all the good schools which have standards.

I'm wanting to get a teacher license in the USA so I can teach at an international school abroad.

sasimirobot

Everyone assumes you have to work in an underground bunker for 2$ a day if you don't have a degree or do some sketchy illegal shit. I will try to give you some useful advice since most people here actually have no clue other than, "there is only one way to do it, the way I did, end of discussion".

There are a few ways to do it for each country, they mainly are exceptions for work experience (Japan is 10 years, China 5), marriage, investment in a WFOE ( I have friends that did this for China and it gives you a 30 year visa!), or basically "knowing" the right people or just lawyer-ing up.

If you want to make life easier and just get a cheap and easy 4-year degree you can earn credits for skills you already have with TECEP® exams from an online University. Some people can finish very quickly using this method.

http://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/Testing.cfm

There are a few more options that depend on the country you are from, and google/youtube are obviously good places to start for that information.

Good luck and don't let people stop you from following your dreams.

Wvrs

I've been EFL teaching for a few months now and just began the application process to JET 2018; how badly are my chances affected by the fact that I have a tattoo on my upper left arm? It's easily coverable by a shirt.

Porcile

I've been EFL teaching for a few months now and just began the application process to JET 2018; how badly are my chances affected by the fact that I have a tattoo on my upper left arm? It's easily coverable by a shirt.

Just don't whip it out in the interview and be like "Here's my tat. No tat, no life, JET bitches." No one cares about your tattoo as long as you cover it up. Do you even have to disclose it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom