• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Did anyone apply for JET 2017?

Ahh unfortunately my application didn't make it. In retrospect I bet it had something to do with my essay/SoP being too emotional and vague instead of objective and concrete; have to reread it after my shift at work. Feeling a bit down atm but I plan to reapply next year to which hopefully I get some TEFL experience under my belt via university programs.

Porcile

In retrospect, after not getting onto JET a few years ago, I should've just spent a year getting a real teaching qualification or another Masters and JLPT to have a better chance of getting a private/international school job, rather than ALT. I'd recommend that more than re-applying for JET another year down the line.

Yup, just improve yourself for a better job is all the advice you need. When the time comes and your still interested, toss the application in again, and continue to move forward. All you can and should do. Despite its random lotto chances of getting in, JET ALT job isn't actually some fancy thing. It's harder to get in than actually do. Kinda like a good university lol.

So, I applied for an ECC English teaching position... accidentally. I finished the entire application, however, I omitted my profile picture from the application. Everything I compiled is fairly sound, my resume is pretty good, and I finished everything else. just no picture. I was actually getting professional shots taken tomorrow, so I'm kind of bummed out that I messed this up.

Do you think this actually has a chance at getting my profile thrown out the door? My stuff is pretty good, I'd hate to lose this chance just because of a small mistake.

EDIT: Just realized that I can update my profile whenever. The pictures will be taken tomorrow so it should be no big deal :p

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I got an interview!!! (JET 2017) I'm really excited.

Ahh unfortunately my application didn't make it. In retrospect I bet it had something to do with my essay/SoP being too emotional and vague instead of objective and concrete; have to reread it after my shift at work. Feeling a bit down atm but I plan to reapply next year to which hopefully I get some TEFL experience under my belt via university programs.
Sorry to hear that. :/ I got rejected twice before, so bulking up your resume is a viable course of action.

In retrospect, after not getting onto JET a few years ago, I should've just spent a year getting a real teaching qualification or another Masters and JLPT to have a better chance of getting a private/international school job, rather than ALT. I'd recommend that more than re-applying for JET another year down the line.
I did basically this, except I went for JET again and it seemed to have worked. Got my master's and some real teaching experience in. Might also help that I did my thesis on teaching abroad programs, haha. On that same note I wasn't banking on it, and I still only have the interview part down, so having backup options is a good idea.

So I applied to ECC and under My Applications it says I have an "Invite for Interview," however I cannot find a date or any directions as to how how/when the interview is conducted. Any help, guys?

EDIT: Received an email stating that I'll be attending an interview process! It's a big day, it seems. I have to teach in a mock-class setting, be interviewed, take a test, etc. Anyone have any tips for me?

Jaffaboy

So I applied to ECC and under My Applications it says I have an "Invite for Interview," however I cannot find a date or any directions as to how how/when the interview is conducted. Any help, guys?

EDIT: Received an email stating that I'll be attending an interview process! It's a big day, it seems. I have to teach in a mock-class setting, be interviewed, take a test, etc. Anyone have any tips for me?

Suit up.

The grammar test is bullshit, and it's pretty hard if you don't know much about grammar. I'd make sure you know all the different tenses and some common misspelled words. I have a feeling it's bullshit anyway, just a way to weed people out that they don't want there. If you fail it, it's bye bye.

Give it your all in the demo lesson, keep it simple and engaging and fun. ECC fucking loves energetic go-getters. If you're just having them learn vocabulary, repeat the words a lot, do some loud and quiet, silly voices etc. Try to get your 'students' moving (if you're teaching dog - do dog actions!)

The actual one on one interview, their mind has already been made up and they'll offer you a job, or they will ask you to come at a different point in the year. If they ask you to start after April, you'll be a substitute teacher until the following March (when the school year starts). That means you'll spend 90% of your time stuffing advertisements into tissue packets at random schools. I'd personally run as far away as I could if they offered me a contract that started after April 1st.

ECC is nothing special (don't let them make you think otherwise, but pretend you do), but it's better than most of the other language schools. Decent holiday, and extensive training that will help you do the job. You're gonna get very good at asking questions to Japanese adults, and you're gonna be throwing a lot of stuffed monkeys and cushions at children.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm mulling over my options and I'm wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light - I just finished a PhD in English Literature, and while I'm still applying to university level teaching jobs, I'm wondering if private institutions abroad would still be looking for proper TEFL/TOFEL certification?

WoodWERD

Depends what you mean by private institutions. Training centers are a dime a dozen and probably won't even bother to verify if your PHD is real. In any case, most TEFL certs are easy to get and it can't hurt to have one on the resume if you're going to be doing this for a while.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Depends what you mean by private institutions. Training centers are a dime a dozen and probably won't even bother to verify if your PHD is real. In any case, most TEFL certs are easy to get and it can't hurt to have one on the resume if you're going to be doing this for a while.
Well, I haven't done any looking, but I figure if I make a go of it I'd like to find something serious/stable. I am considering a TOFEL program, since it'd let me teach ESL locally as well, but it's another year of school.

Although, I suppose having 300+ hours of instruction on pedagogical methods would be nice compared to the one term of "how to teach" information that I got as a PhD student. lol

Darksol

Well, after a year teaching at three elementary schools in Tokyo, my contract came to an end yesterday. I was unemployed for less than 12 hours, as an international academy wants to hire me. Apparently I'll not only be teaching English, but other courses as well. Didn't even know that was possible for me.

Go there again on Friday to work out the details.

Porcile

Well, after a year teaching at three elementary schools in Tokyo, my contract came to an end yesterday. I was unemployed for less than 12 hours, as an international academy wants to hire me. Apparently I'll not only be teaching English, but other courses as well. Didn't even know that was possible for me.

Go there again on Friday to work out the details.

Is it an ALT kind of job, or will you teach these subjects and English on your own without the help of other teachers?

Darksol

Is it an ALT kind of job, or will you teach these subjects and English on your own without the help of other teachers?

A little bit from column A, a little bit from column B. In the mornings I'll be serving familiar ALT duties, but in the afternoons I'll apparently be the homeroom teacher with the Japanese teacher assisting.

As far as I know they can't legally leave a gaijin teaching alone by themselves (although this happened to me on a few occasions at my last job), without some serious Japan specific qualifications. But I think the emphasis on having me lead is just another way to up the level of English immersion.

I think I'm being given more wiggle room because it's a private institution. That and I'll still be sticking with younger students.

Darksol

Sounds like a decent step up from regular ALT. Congrats. May I ask how you got the job?

It was advertised at a university, but even when I applied I thought that it would be for a job nearly identical to the one I just finished. It wasn't until I was in the interview that I realized it was much more interesting than I had expected.

Good Day folks, a few questions.

I am moving to Japan this year (on a working holiday program between Japan and Canada) with the intention of making it long term. I've been married to a Japanese national for 4 years now so the plan is to use the working holiday program as sort of a trail run to see if Japan is a good fit for us.

I fully expect that teaching english is probably my only career option as I currently am at N4 and have no specialized degrees (I've been in payroll for 4 years but never went to school for it)

My first question is, what are my odds of getting a job as a ALT without a degree?
Secondly, should I consider applying before I go? or Apply directly when I get there? My understanding is that if I use a ESL program like JET I have little to no choice in my placement. I'd prefer to be close to my family (in Iruma district, Saitama)

Thanks for the help, folks.

Darksol

Good Day folks, a few questions.

I am moving to Japan this year (on a working holiday program between Japan and Canada) with the intention of making it long term. I've been married to a Japanese national for 4 years now so the plan is to use the working holiday program as sort of a trail run to see if Japan is a good fit for us.

I fully expect that teaching english is probably my only career option as I currently am at N4 and have no specialized degrees (I've been in payroll for 4 years but never went to school for it)

My first question is, what are my odds of getting a job as a ALT without a degree?
Secondly, should I consider applying before I go? or Apply directly when I get there? My understanding is that if I use a ESL program like JET I have little to no choice in my placement. I'd prefer to be close to my family (in Iruma district, Saitama)

Thanks for the help, folks.

I know people teaching as ALTs in Japan with no degree. Given you're on a working holiday visa, that will be enough for many companies, who are more concerned about your ability to stay in Japan rather than your background in education.

Do you have CELTA or something similar? Seems to have helped several of my friends and definitely helped me as well.

I'm pretty sure Borderlink and a few other dispatch companies that hire ALTs for Tokyo/Saitama area schools may be an option for you. I actually saw some listings on GaijinPot the other day.

As for JET, without a degree they won't even consider you. You are also correct that you have no actual say in where they put you.

Some jobs you can apply from overseas, but honestly it's much easier once you're here.

I know people teaching as ALTs in Japan with no degree. Given you're on a working holiday visa, that will be enough for many companies, who are more concerned about your ability to stay in Japan rather than your background in education.

Do you have CELTA or something similar? Seems to have helped several of my friends and definitely helped me as well.

I'm pretty sure Borderlink and a few other dispatch companies that hire ALTs for Tokyo/Saitama area schools may be an option for you. I actually saw some listings on GaijinPot the other day.

As for JET, without a degree they won't even consider you. You are also correct that you have no actual say in where they put you.

Some jobs you can apply from overseas, but honestly it's much easier once you're here.

Unfortunately, it seems like the Canadian equivalent to CELTA (TESL) requires a university degree, even at the lowest level, so that's out of my scope.

How would one apply once I'm there? Walk into an English language school with a resume?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help. The Japanese consulate here in Alberta is lacking in a lot of details on this sort of stuff.

Darksol

Unfortunately, it seems like the Canadian equivalent to CELTA (TESL) requires a university degree, even at the lowest level, so that's out of my scope.

How would one apply once I'm there? Walk into an English language school with a resume?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help. The Japanese consulate here in Alberta is lacking in a lot of details on this sort of stuff.

I'm Canadian too -- while TESL is the popular choice in Canada, CELTA is quite common in Asia and they often see it as a plus on job application listings: it will rarely make or break your chances, but it always helps. CELTA can be taken in person in Montreal or Vancouver, and they also have an online option where you can do the brunt of the coursework online and just go to either Montreal or Vancouver for the two week teaching practicum. CELTA does not have a university prerequisite. It's just meant to serve as a solid foundation for teaching (abroad). It's pretty intense but it's useful if you haven't taught before and want some solid immersion in the environment.

As for applying, Gaijinpot and a couple other sites like it are quite commonly used by recruiters looking for English teachers, ALTs, eikaiwa workers, etc.

I'm not sure if you can just walk on in with a resume - I've never tried that. I've only gone the online route for applying. Maybe someone else here knows more about that.

I'm Canadian too -- while TESL is the popular choice in Canada, CELTA is quite common in Asia and they often see it as a plus on job application listings: it will rarely make or break your chances, but it always helps. CELTA can be taken in person in Montreal or Vancouver, and they also have an online option where you can do the brunt of the coursework online and just go to either Montreal or Vancouver for the two week teaching practicum. CELTA does not have a university prerequisite. It's just meant to serve as a solid foundation for teaching (abroad). It's pretty intense but it's useful if you haven't taught before and want some solid immersion in the environment.

As for applying, Gaijinpot and a couple other sites like it are quite commonly used by recruiters looking for English teachers, ALTs, eikaiwa workers, etc.

I'm not sure if you can just walk on in with a resume - I've never tried that. I've only gone the online route for applying. Maybe someone else here knows more about that.

Thanks for the info on CELTA, I'll look into doing that then. I'll take whatever leg up I can get.

So I'm gonna be heading back to America after this semester is up. It's been a fun two years in Japan but I think it's time to head back home.

Any advice on shipping stuff back home in the cheapest way possible?

Scarecrow

I've been teaching in China and Vietnam for the past 3 years and keep running into this common problem where students can't pronounce words ending in a consonant sound. "S" sounds, too. For example, good becomes good-uh. Any tips on how to crack this problem?

Wvrs

I'm hoping some teachers with experience can help me here. I had an interview over Skype the other day for an EFL teaching job in Valencia, Spain and it went well, I'm through to the next step of the selection process.

The company now wants me to send them a ten minute video of me teaching, or going through a lesson plan. My problem is that I have no actual teaching experience; I'm a final year University student of English and teaching is something I only decided to do recently.

Does anyone have advice for how I should approach this? I want to come across as best as I possibly can.

F!ReW!Re

I've been teaching in China and Vietnam for the past 3 years and keep running into this common problem where students can't pronounce words ending in a consonant sound. "S" sounds, too. For example, good becomes good-uh. Any tips on how to crack this problem?

Are you teaching kids by any chance?
I noticed it when I was still teaching in China last year.
What I always found handy (no pun intended) was using hand movements will saying a word and showing the kids that the word has a defined ending.

So you say "good" and make like a chopping hand signal when you pronounce the end (or the 'd' sound). You can show them it's not good-uh by showing them that good-uh is 2 chopping gestures.

Actually when I was teaching I would use hand gestures all the time to support phonics, sentence structures, etc. It worked wonders, kids pick up on it really quickly and if they would struggle with an answer, you could stimulate them by just using the gestures you are constantly using in class. Just be consistent is the best advice regarding the use of hand gestures.

(Hope it makes sense about what I'm trying to say here, kinda hard not being able to show you)

Scarecrow

Are you teaching kids by any chance?
I noticed it when I was still teaching in China last year.
What I always found handy (no pun intended) was using hand movements will saying a word and showing the kids that the word has a defined ending.

So you say "good" and make like a chopping hand signal when you pronounce the end (or the 'd' sound). You can show them it's not good-uh by showing them that good-uh is 2 chopping gestures.

Actually when I was teaching I would use hand gestures all the time to support phonics, sentence structures, etc. It worked wonders, kids pick up on it really quickly and if they would struggle with an answer, you could stimulate them by just using the gestures you are constantly using in class. Just be consistent is the best advice regarding the use of hand gestures.

(Hope it makes sense about what I'm trying to say here, kinda hard not being able to show you)

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out.

WoodWERD

I'm hoping some teachers with experience can help me here. I had an interview over Skype the other day for an EFL teaching job in Valencia, Spain and it went well, I'm through to the next step of the selection process.

The company now wants me to send them a ten minute video of me teaching, or going through a lesson plan. My problem is that I have no actual teaching experience; I'm a final year University student of English and teaching is something I only decided to do recently.

Does anyone have advice for how I should approach this? I want to come across as best as I possibly can.

This is fairly common. Search youtube for 'esl teaching demo' or something to that effect. General public speaking advice applies; smile, speak clearly (and more slowly for ESL), face the audience when speaking, etc. Don't overthink it.

sasimirobot

as someone else just posted you can teach this using hand motions, I used clapping with children. for example :

"may I eat" = 3 claps, correct
"may I eatto = 4 claps, incorrect

also since these simple words may have been taught or overheard from non native speakers, you may need to do some 1 on 1 in a quiet area so they can really hear what you are saying without parroting everyone around them.

you need to get everyone on board as soon as possible, even the TA's, because it will fall back to "goodda" real quick if you don't keep on eye on it.

Scarecrow

as someone else just posted you can teach this using hand motions, I used clapping with children. for example :

"may I eat" = 3 claps, correct
"may I eatto = 4 claps, incorrect

also since these simple words may have been taught or overheard from non native speakers, you may need to do some 1 on 1 in a quiet area so they can really hear what you are saying without parroting everyone around them.

you need to get everyone on board as soon as possible, even the TA's, because it will fall back to "goodda" real quick if you don't keep on eye on it.

The problem I run into is when emphasizing the last consonant. If I say "good" and focus on the D sound, the end sounds like "duh." Enunciating the last sound often leads them to adding the extra sound the the end of the word. Inversely, students may simply drop the sound altogether. Eat becomes E, rice becomes rI and so on.

F!ReW!Re

The problem I run into is when emphasizing the last consonant. If I say "good" and focus on the D sound, the end sounds like "duh." Enunciating the last sound often leads them to adding the extra sound the the end of the word. Inversely, students may simply drop the sound altogether. Eat becomes E, rice becomes rI and so on.

Hand gestures will definitely help. Try not to focus on saying Goo-D yourself because like you said it'll make you pronounce it as gooduh.

I don't know if there is any communication with the parents of the kids, but we always had to write report cards which indicated stuff like that to the parents.
Problem is most of the parents themselves have poor or non-existent English skills so when they practise at home with their kids they also constantly make these mistakes, hence the kid also doing it wrong.
What could also work is giving small gifts in class to the kids who pronounces the vocabulary properly.
Stickers are ideal for this.

Heck if you have a huge problem with it you could play games based on that very aspect.
Line em all up single file and have the one in the front pronounce the word. If it's correct, give them a sticker and let them sit back down, if they make a mistake, put em back in the line to try again.
(There's 100's of games you can make up in this way)

I think one of the most important parts of teaching the really young kids is being consistent all the time. Same way you say it, same hand movements for specific words or phrases. You will be amazed how fast kids pick that up and start mimicking your movements.

SolVanderlyn

I got accepted to JET and leave in late July.

I'm excited I got in, but I'm really nervous about moving outside the country. I'm also worried about potentially having to do singing/dancing games for elementary school kids... that's really, really not my thing, haha.

Jintor

Congrats

I can honestly say I think jet was one of the best times in my life. Spots of darkness here and there but not bad

Hi all,

I'm brand new. I plan to become an ESL teacher. I graduate from college in three weeks and plan to take a course for the CELTA over the summer. I've also tailored my resume so my two years of related teaching experience shows through (tutor, lab assistant, summer camp runner).

I want to teach in China, and work my way west to India, middle east and eventually Europe. I've found it kinda scary looking for a job.

What are some cities you guys like? I want to teach in Qingdao or further south. I want to teach in a tier 2 city.

Is applying for jobs in May/June for Fall 2017 too late for a decent job at a public school or trusted learning center?

WoodWERD

Chengdu is pretty cool. Public universities are starting to interview now for the fall, can't really comment on high/middle schools.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm looking into teaching abroad and am interested in pursuing a TEFL or a CELTA. However I can't afford to leave my current full-time job to do it. Does anyone here have any recommendations for good TEFL and/or CELTA programs that can be taken (mostly) online? I know the practicum can't be done online for obvious reasons but if I could take the rest online during my off hours would be fantastic but I'm worried about making sure the program I pay for is reputable.

I'm looking into teaching abroad and am interested in pursuing a TEFL or a CELTA. However I can't afford to leave my current full-time job to do it. Does anyone here have any recommendations for good TEFL and/or CELTA programs that can be taken (mostly) online? I know the practicum can't be done online for obvious reasons but if I could take the rest online during my off hours would be fantastic but I'm worried about making sure the program I pay for is reputable.

I'm interested as well

I am signing up for the CELTA but I think I may not get a seat in the class I need cause I'm busy and it's filling up and it's pretty expensive. wondering if it's even worth taking the CELTA and just getting a cheap online certificate?

ionitron

So, I'm really interested in applying to the Jet program in a couple of years, and I just graduated from Uni. I'm going to start teaching biology at a local high school in the fall so thankfully I'll have teaching experience.

Does anyone have any advice about what I can do to beef up my "multicultural" experience? Sadly I can no longer participate in university clubs, which probably would have been the most ideal :C I was planning on maybe trying anyway, and attending local japanese meetups around the area.

WoodWERD

I'm interested as well

I am signing up for the CELTA but I think I may not get a seat in the class I need cause I'm busy and it's filling up and it's pretty expensive. wondering if it's even worth taking the CELTA and just getting a cheap online certificate?

I don't have a CELTA personally, just a TEFL cert and my degree. I'd say it depends on where you're looking to teach and what your goals are. If you're just getting your feet wet and don't know if teaching ESL is for you, a TEFL will get you in the door at most places. I'm in a few job groups here in China, and if CELTA is mentioned in an ad it is simply 'preferred' but a TEFL cert is acceptable. I'm assuming this applies to most ESL markets outside of Europe.

As far as online TEFL certs, just check to make sure the country you're planning to work in accepts them (Middle East for example doesn't, from what I understand). Check the forums at Dave's ESL Cafe for recommendations if you're trying to find a decent one.

matt360

If there are any potential JETs who are interested in staying in Japan for the long haul and getting real certification (as in no contracts, set for life), you might want to think about requesting Hiroshima Prefecture.

Four years ago the Hiroshima Board of Education introduced a program called グローバル人材 or I think they call it the Global Initiative in English program for foreign teachers. In order to qualify you need three years of experience with the Hiroshima BoE in ANY capacity from a certain point in time. I believe for this year, you need to have started after Heisei 25. This program is for JETs, Nests, direct-hires, etc. who want to become full-time teachers and not have to worry about contracts anymore. You would potentially become home-room teachers and have all the same responsibilities that a Japanese teacher would. But that also includes the shitty things like transfers and crazy working hours/potential club activities on the weekends.

The Hiroshima government is building an IB public "international" school that they hope will compete with other top schools on a national level, so they are looking to populate the classrooms with several native speakers of English.

In theory, the job does not require advanced Japanese, but in practice, it absolutely does. The application and interviews can be done with very little Japanese knowledge, but in order to succeed as a homeroom teacher and not be a burden on other teachers, your Japanese should be at least N2 I would say. There's been one applicant who passed and started his first year last year, and although his speaking/listening is pretty good, he can barely read hiragana and katakana, so he was constantly causing headaches with his inability to perform basic tasks. So yeah, Japanese is important.

I have no idea if this kind of thing is happening in other prefectures, but I really appreciate the Hiroshima BoE giving foreigners this kind of opportunity. I'm in the process of applying, so if anyone has any questions on the application/interview process, or about the job itself, please feel free to ask.

Darksol

I'm interested as well

I actually recommend the CELTA program if you're new to teaching, as it is quite immersive and trial by fire. Personally, it helped me a lot in the beginning. If you're an experienced teacher then any certification will probably do.

Anyone familiar with Altia Central (Japan ALT) ? Any tips for their demo lesson plan?

I've never heard of them. Are they a school, an eikaiwa, or what? I'm going to guess eikaiwa, as they're all about the demo lessons and trial lessons as an interview. If that's the case, read up on the company and see what their teaching format is, then try to adapt it to the best of your ability.

I don't have a CELTA personally, just a TEFL cert and my degree. I'd say it depends on where you're looking to teach and what your goals are. If you're just getting your feet wet and don't know if teaching ESL is for you, a TEFL will get you in the door at most places. I'm in a few job groups here in China, and if CELTA is mentioned in an ad it is simply 'preferred' but a TEFL cert is acceptable. I'm assuming this applies to most ESL markets outside of Europe.

As far as online TEFL certs, just check to make sure the country you're planning to work in accepts them (Middle East for example doesn't, from what I understand). Check the forums at Dave's ESL Cafe for recommendations if you're trying to find a decent one.

Generally my experience as well. CELTA is rarely required (beyond the fact that schools often ask for some form of teaching program and experience), but I often see it as preferred in the job applications that I've come across. It also made the difference between me being employed and not employed, so personally I've found it useful as well. The academy I work for specifically looks for CELTA grads.

If there are any potential JETs who are interested in staying in Japan for the long haul and getting real certification (as in no contracts, set for life), you might want to think about requesting Hiroshima Prefecture.

Four years ago the Hiroshima Board of Education introduced a program called グローバル人材 or I think they call it the Global Initiative in English program for foreign teachers. In order to qualify you need three years of experience with the Hiroshima BoE in ANY capacity from a certain point in time. I believe for this year, you need to have started after Heisei 25. This program is for JETs, Nests, direct-hires, etc. who want to become full-time teachers and not have to worry about contracts anymore. You would potentially become home-room teachers and have all the same responsibilities that a Japanese teacher would. But that also includes the shitty things like transfers and crazy working hours/potential club activities on the weekends.

The Hiroshima government is building an IB public "international" school that they hope will compete with other top schools on a national level, so they are looking to populate the classrooms with several native speakers of English.

In theory, the job does not require advanced Japanese, but in practice, it absolutely does. The application and interviews can be done with very little Japanese knowledge, but in order to succeed as a homeroom teacher and not be a burden on other teachers, your Japanese should be at least N2 I would say. There's been one applicant who passed and started his first year last year, and although his speaking/listening is pretty good, he can barely read hiragana and katakana, so he was constantly causing headaches with his inability to perform basic tasks. So yeah, Japanese is important.

I have no idea if this kind of thing is happening in other prefectures, but I really appreciate the Hiroshima BoE giving foreigners this kind of opportunity. I'm in the process of applying, so if anyone has any questions on the application/interview process, or about the job itself, please feel free to ask.

Sounds similar to the gig I have now. Qualified people should definitely apply - it's nice to eventually break free from the ALT gigs and get something meatier and more stable. Also, it really helps strengthen your resume once you're in a teaching position like that.

Guru-Guru

Banned

I'm not personally interested (after 3 years of teaching, I've had my fill), but I'm assuming you actually get compensated similarly to a Japanese teacher for this? Yearly salary raises? Sounds like a pretty good deal for those interested, and who don't mind dealing with some of the bullshit that comes along with teaching!

matt360

I actually recommend the CELTA program if you're new to teaching, as it is quite immersive and trial by fire. Personally, it helped me a lot in the beginning. If you're an experienced teacher then any certification will probably do.

I've never heard of them. Are they a school, an eikaiwa, or what? I'm going to guess eikaiwa, as they're all about the demo lessons and trial lessons as an interview. If that's the case, read up on the company and see what their teaching format is, then try to adapt it to the best of your ability.

Generally my experience as well. CELTA is rarely required (beyond the fact that schools often ask for some form of teaching program and experience), but I often see it as preferred in the job applications that I've come across. It also made the difference between me being employed and not employed, so personally I've found it useful as well. The academy I work for specifically looks for CELTA grads.

Sounds similar to the gig I have now. Qualified people should definitely apply - it's nice to eventually break free from the ALT gigs and get something meatier and more stable. Also, it really helps strengthen your resume once you're in a teaching position like that.

Are you in Hiroshima? If you are then I know you. If not, may I ask what prefecture? I'm interested in knowing what other prefectures are doing this.

I'm not personally interested (after 3 years of teaching, I've had my fill), but I'm assuming you actually get compensated similarly to a Japanese teacher for this? Yearly salary raises? Sounds like a pretty good deal for those interested, and who don't mind dealing with some of the bullshit that comes along with teaching!

Absolutely. My friend doing it was making over 400,000/month after taxes, plus three bonuses a year. You're on the same pay track/scale as Japanese teachers. There are certain limitations to the job, but pay is not one of them. Such limitations include not being able to become 学年主任、教頭、校長、教科主任, etc. Also, you're still technically a 講師, but that's mostly to appease the Japanese teachers who probably worked a lot harder to basically land the same position. But I feel that most of those restrictions work out in our favor, because I certainly don't want to become principal. But as I mentioned above, you can become a homeroom teacher, which is incredibly rare for public school.

AngryMoth

Got offered a really good opportunity at a high school in Fuzhou but I'm sweating it because it starts on September 1 and won't get my official degree certificate until mid July which probably doesn't leave enough time to get a work visa. Can offer proof of attendance and my classification but apparently the Chinese embassy accepts nothing less than an original copy of the official certificate. I'm trying get my uni to issue the certificate early since I finished my course over a months ago already but not off to a promising start....

Darksol

Are you in Hiroshima? If you are then I know you. If not, may I ask what prefecture? I'm interested in knowing what other prefectures are doing this

No, I'm just outside of Tokyo. In my case it isn't a public school, so the details are probably a little different. It's more or less the same as you described.

Porcile

Hiroshima gig sounds really good. I don't expect any such forward thinking and incentivising from the stingy fuckers at the Yokohama BOE. Obviously you have to move elsewhere for better opportunities in this line of work.

Sounds like a good job for sure with possible visible growth which is even better. Glad to see some areas (at least one) trying to make a potential next step for the JET crowd instead of letting them into the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom