• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksol

Always conflicted when a student asks me a stupid question, but uses perfect grammar and pronunciation to ask. "What's unko in English? How do I say manko in English sensei" -facepalm/slightly proud that you are understanding how this language works and flows-

I haven't had any of those yet, but I did notice one of my students today wearing a shirt that said "Always live by anarchy. Fxxking hell!" I asked her about it, but she had no idea what it meant. Now that she does, she likes it more.

sasimirobot

To update since I was ranting while drunk before. Got a job at a very nice elementary school. They actually asked me to work for them twice, because I turned it down the first time. Turns out that an Agent was low-balling what they actually pay, and after he was out of the way they "sweetened the pot".

Now I earn 400rmb/hour (60$US) teaching 1st-2nd grade, and they just offered to pay for me to go to Thailand to take a TEFL course for next term.

My point is: Don't get discouraged! There are people that get paid to take advantage of us (foreign teachers), don't give in to it, no matter how hard up you are! It only makes it worse for all of us in the long run.

^ Glad it worked out, got a higher pay out of it and everything. Good stuff!

Had a weird middle of the day meeting for third year teachers because of one of the third year girls.

Now today same thing is happening. Seems like something happened during Golden Week involving the third year girls and some of the second year kids. Guess someone ratted them out.

Always amazes me how teachers in Japan are part teacher part parent. And how they know exactly what all the students are doing even outside the school @.@

Wvrs

Okay, so this thread and the rest of the internet has sold me; I definitely want to do this after graduation now. If I maintain my quality of work in my final year, I should come out with a 1st in English Language & Linguistics from a UK University in the Russell Group; I imagine that will help me in getting placements (or does it not matter to them what your discipline/degree classification/institution is)?

I should be finished by the start of next June, and would probably want to do a TEFL or equivalent in that month. TEFL seems cheap, but I've heard it said that CELTA is more respected; which would be a better one to choose?

I'll look into places I'd like to teach over the next year, thought at first glance Asia seems like it would be amazing. How does the pay translate to standard of living? I spent the first 18 years of my life working class and poor, and have spent the last few years as a student and poor. I'm not after riches, but it'd be nice to have a little more money than I'm used to.

Cheers!

Okay, so this thread and the rest of the internet has sold me; I definitely want to do this after graduation now. If I maintain my quality of work in my final year, I should come out with a 1st in English Language & Linguistics from a UK University in the Russell Group; I imagine that will help me in getting placements (or does it not matter to them what your discipline/degree classification/institution is)?

I should be finished by the start of next June, and would probably want to do a TEFL or equivalent in that month. TEFL seems cheap, but I've heard it said that CELTA is more respected; which would be a better one to choose?

I'll look into places I'd like to teach over the next year, thought at first glance Asia seems like it would be amazing. How does the pay translate to standard of living? I spent the first 18 years of my life working class and poor, and have spent the last few years as a student and poor. I'm not after riches, but it'd be nice to have a little more money than I'm used to.

Cheers!

1st part: It matters depending on region, company, and type of teaching you want to do. For an assistant teacher position, the most common, where you are the native speaker in a class with a teacher who learned/mostly knows English, any type of degree university is generally accepted. Some companies and hiring places want certain degrees or qualifications, it really varies. Being more qualified does give more opportunities for various places though so keep at it!

2nd: no idea, I got neither.

3rd: As for pay, once again varies by organization and region obviously. In general though English teachers abroad get paid fairly handsomely for the amount of work they do. Once again depends though.

Start researching a few countries then programs and companies, see who looks the least shady.

Hey there GAF, i've had this thread in the back of my mind during my last few months in college and now i'm asking for some help in this area.

So I just graduated with a bachelors degree and i'm currently just floating around on some sort of vacation/final hurrah before I go out and start my own life. This little vacation is nearing its end and i've decided I want to teach english in Japan.

Here's some stuff about my current state:

- I was born and raised in the U.S. so I do know English, but I also know Spanish fluently. I don't know Japanese tho.

- I am currently ready to leave. All I would need to do is pack, get the plane ticket, get visa, etc.

- I do have a bit of money saved up from my previous job, but it's not a lot.

- My bachelor's degree is in art.

- i'm 22

What I would like to know is how much money should one make in order to lead a comfortable life? I'm not looking to be rich while doing this job; I just want to know about the general state of costs in japan and stuff like that.

Another thing I need help with is location.

I don't really know what area of Japan I should look into. I'm basically looking for a "tiny city"/"large town." Having visited a few of the major cities in the U.S. I can safely say that cities aren't my jam. But I still enjoy the attractions they provide so i'm leaning towards something near Tokyo (when I say "near" I mean like I could drive or take a train there, you know?)

This are the big things I need help with but any tips and tricks are welcome.

Hey there GAF, i've had this thread in the back of my mind during my last few months in college and now i'm asking for some help in this area.

So I just graduated with a bachelors degree and i'm currently just floating around on some sort of vacation/final hurrah before I go out and start my own life. This little vacation is nearing its end and i've decided I want to teach english in Japan.

Here's some stuff about my current state:

- I was born and raised in the U.S. so I do know English, but I also know Spanish fluently. I don't know Japanese tho.

- I am currently ready to leave. All I would need to do is pack, get the plane ticket, get visa, etc.

- I do have a bit of money saved up from my previous job, but it's not a lot.

- My bachelor's degree is in art.

- i'm 22

What I would like to know is how much money should one make in order to lead a comfortable life? I'm not looking to be rich while doing this job; I just want to know about the general state of costs in japan and stuff like that.

Another thing I need help with is location.

I don't really know what area of Japan I should look into. I'm basically looking for a "tiny city"/"large town." Having visited a few of the major cities in the U.S. I can safely say that cities aren't my jam. But I still enjoy the attractions they provide so i'm leaning towards something near Tokyo (when I say "near" I mean like I could drive or take a train there, you know?)

This are the big things I need help with but any tips and tricks are welcome.

Grats on graduating first of all, it`s a big weight off your shoulders, then a whole new one is put on lol.

1. Knowing multiple languages is a boon. Most programs or jobs of this nature do not require you to know any actual Japanese. If you make it over you can pick it up just hanging around or by actually studying in the various resources here be that books or people.

2. Good to know you are ready to go anytime. The various programs have different times they bring people over. Would have to look at the various programs and decide which is best for you.

3. Great that you have some $$$ saved. Once again, depends on the program or job you sign with. Some will take care of plane, housing, and what not start up details for you, some won`t. Be sure to look into them.

4. Degree and age generally don`t matter for teaching in Japan. Unless you want to be a fulltime university or high school teacher, and specific other job offerings. Those require specific degrees and or masters.

As for cost of living, it`s not bad at all in general, though this obviously matters where you live and how you live more importantly. I make about the equivilant of $2,500 after paying rent and cellphone bills automatically. Maybe lil less. I live more than comfortably. I go out several nights of the week, this includes drinking, club, dinners, and hanging out. I can afford the games I want, and consoles. Even extra money to travel a bit around the country or another close by with a lil penny pinching on certain things to save even more ect. If you get an offer for the eqivilant of like.... $900 a month in the middle of Tokyo, your obviously fucked, but those are clearly bad jobs anyway.

As for where, that really is up to your research. Japan has several large cities like Tokyo, Osaka, and Fukuoka. But also many smaller cities and small towns that are just amazingly relaxing to be in. You can get almost anywhere by train, bus, or driving, though the amount of time it takes can vary obviously. I say look into the major metropoliton areas a bit and decide which region you like. Most places have no guarentee you will get them but it is nice to be able to suggust and have done some reasearch.

That`s a lot of nonsense text but recommend you 1stly look into what jobs and programs are offered for people wanting to be an English teacher and decide which is best for you or one you are willing to put up with most. Also looking into the various regions of the country. Heck I knew a lot about the regions before looking into coming, but one of my favorite past times is to hit google maps street view in a random city, or town and just scroll around.

Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been teaching over there? I've read some first hand accounts on people who only do one or two years and then they go back to their native country. But if I find myself having a blast and enjoying the work I can see myself going for a while if possible.

Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been teaching over there? I've read some first hand accounts on people who only do one or two years and then they go back to their native country. But if I find myself having a blast and enjoying the work I can see myself going for a while if possible.

Been here 9 months myself. Most of these jobs have contract limits, so people hop from company to company in some cases if not move to a more perminant one if they enjoy it.

Desmond

Just received my final year results, confirming that I have enough credits to graduate with a BA in Translation (Japanese and Spanish). I want to work in Japan and it seems that teaching is the quickest way to go about it (or translation, I guess).

Checking through GaijinPot, there are so MANY schools. Would it be better to get a CELTA certification? I've been considering it but it is quite expensive. Does anyone have experience with GABA and their schools?

AngryMoth

I have a couple of Skype interviews tomorrows about some positions in china.

I should probably where a suit for this, right? I dunno I never had a Skype interview before.

I should probably where a suit for this, right? I dunno I never had a Skype interview before.

just treat it like a normal interview. and test the audio/video/internet before so you don't run into any problems.

WoodWERD

Shirt and tie is more than enough, unless you're looking at something high profile.

Darksol

Just received my final year results, confirming that I have enough credits to graduate with a BA in Translation (Japanese and Spanish). I want to work in Japan and it seems that teaching is the quickest way to go about it (or translation, I guess).

Checking through GaijinPot, there are so MANY schools. Would it be better to get a CELTA certification? I've been considering it but it is quite expensive. Does anyone have experience with GABA and their schools?

GABA isn't a bunch of schools. It's a private eikaiwa business that I wouldn't recommend unless you have no other alternative.

Panda Rin

Anyone have anecdotal stories or accounts of Asian-Americans attempting to land a job in any of the Asian countries (SK or Vietnam are my primary interests). Heard discrimination is a still tough to get through during the hiring process.

I don't know about those specific places, but I've worked with a couple Asian-Americans over here in Japan. They would get mistaken for locals sometimes, particularly the Korean-American guy. That's the only anecdote I got.

First batch of new people arrived yesterday afternoon, doing a ton of paperwork lol.... But I get a reason to go to the bank and see all the cute uniforms today.

First batch of new people arrived yesterday afternoon, doing a ton of paperwork lol.... But I get a reason to go to the bank and see all the cute uniforms today.

Fuck the Japanese bank, man. I live a 15 second walk from the post office/bank and any time I've gone there, even for a domestic wire transfer when the ATM was down once, it's taken over an hour.

That said, I'd probably rather be doing that than sitting here with my head on my desk at work for hours.... We got 5 new ALTs here yesterday but only the RA has seen or spoken to them yet because he likes to keep them hidden and do all of the settling in work for them on his own, so he can then complain about how much work he has to do to us. Same as last year, but I'm particularly annoyed because I live a two minute walk from two of the new teachers, while he lives over an hour drive away...

Teaching English in Asia I'd becoming super popular among people I know. I kind of wish I had studied different things so I could justify going, but I need to get going on computer science stuff when I graduate and I've got a German girlfriend who probably doesn't want to try to teach English.

Panda Rin

Could you tell me the process on how you received this offer? Would being Vietnamese help in this matter? What do they actually require?

I'm actually Vietnamese-American. From what I've read, it's actually advantageous to be white since most people associate a native English speaker to being white, but I don't think it's such a big deal in Vietnam compared to other SEA countries. I would say at minimum you need a bachelor's degree, be a native English speaker, and possess a TEFL/CELTA certification, although some schools will hire you with only a bachelor's.

I'm still in the US, so I was limited to schools who were capable of recruiting online, namely larger language centers. I just sent in all of my credentials (CV, cover letter, photo, etc.) through e-mail, set up an interview over Skype, and was offered shortly after.

If you're interested, ILA, Apollo, British Council, and a few other smaller centers post their offers online (www.eslcafe.com is popular).

WoodWERD

I'm living and working in Hanoi, I enjoy it.

Mind sharing a bit more? I'm thinking of trying somewhere new after my latest contract in China; Vietnam and Thailand are high on the list. Which sector are you (presumably) teaching in? What's the work week like? General thoughts on day-to-day living, etc.

Hey guys. So, I'm looking to get involved in a program teaching English in Asia. I want to use this next school year in order to save money, get some grad school credits out of the way, and finish my NYS Certification, just the edtpa and a few more tests and I'm done!

My one problem right now is that I want to keep my NYS Certification, but I really want to teach English in Japan too. NYS requires that you have 3 years of teaching under your belt within a 5 year period, and I'm worried that if I take a job in Japan for a year that the hours won't count and I will be facing some issues. Anyone from NYS who has an advice?

WoodWERD

Hey guys. So, I'm looking to get involved in a program teaching English in Asia. I want to use this next school year in order to save money, get some grad school credits out of the way, and finish my NYS Certification, just the edtpa and a few more tests and I'm done!

My one problem right now is that I want to keep my NYS Certification, but I really want to teach English in Japan too. NYS requires that you have 3 years of teaching under your belt within a 5 year period, and I'm worried that if I take a job in Japan for a year that the hours won't count and I will be facing some issues. Anyone from NYS who has an advice?

Have you contacted NYS? I would guess that teaching abroad will not count unless you're in an international school or something similar, but I have no clue. I would do the time and get your full certification, then you can have your pick of top teaching jobs almost anywhere.

Have you contacted NYS? I would guess that teaching abroad will not count unless you're in an international school or something similar, but I have no clue. I would do the time and get your full certification, then you can have your pick of top teaching jobs almost anywhere.
That's true. My thing right now though is that I'd rather do a crazy trip like this right now than wait. I'm single, just done with school, etc. I feel like now is the best time to do so! I wish that NYS didn't impose all these BS regulations on its teacher candidates :/

Panda Rin

That's true. My thing right now though is that I'd rather do a crazy trip like this right now than wait. I'm single, just done with school, etc. I feel like now is the best time to do so! I wish that NYS didn't impose all these BS regulations on its teacher candidates :/

I'm in the same exact position as you are, and I hold a Michigan teaching license that requires at least three years of teaching in six years to upgrade to a professional cert. AFAIK the place I was offered wouldn't count as a full year of teaching, but I honestly don't care...I need to get out of here for at least a year aha..

If you really want to do it, go for it man. You'll never get an opportunity like this in the future. At worse, you'll have some time constraints when you get back to the states. TEFL is a nice way to pocket some money while enjoying some time outside of the US, and considering we're educators, it's relevant experience.

Wvrs

Does anyone have experience with TEFL outside of Asia? I'm thinking of moving to France for a year and teaching there before moving on to more exotic locations, to hopefully become fluent in the language and enjoy living in the country hassle-free whilst I still can (fuck Brexit).

I graduate University next summer, I've found an accredited TEFL school over there which seems great if the reviews are anything to go by, and would move over next July. As I understand it Asia seems a little more financially lucrative than Europe for this sort of work, but I wouldn't really be doing this for the money, and could always go for that later on.

Jaffaboy

Does anyone have experience with TEFL outside of Asia? I'm thinking of moving to France for a year and teaching there before moving on to more exotic locations, to hopefully become fluent in the language and enjoy living in the country hassle-free whilst I still can (fuck Brexit).

I graduate University next summer, I've found an accredited TEFL school over there which seems great if the reviews are anything to go by, and would move over next July. As I understand it Asia seems a little more financially lucrative than Europe for this sort of work, but I wouldn't really be doing this for the money, and could always go for that later on.

I taught in Barcelona for a month as it was where I did my CELTA. It was very different to teaching in Korea and Japan. People in Europe tend to learn English from a young age, have a better grasp of how it works as it's more similar to their native language, and are a lot more confident in speaking. In Japan especially, it was so hard to get students talking to each other most of the time, but in Spain I couldn't get them to shut up!

Wvrs

I taught in Barcelona for a month as it was where I did my CELTA. It was very different to teaching in Korea and Japan. People in Europe tend to learn English from a young age, have a better grasp of how it works as it's more similar to their native language, and are a lot more confident in speaking. In Japan especially, it was so hard to get students talking to each other most of the time, but in Spain I couldn't get them to shut up!

Nice, I'm thinking Toulouse and having Barcelona a mere train ride away will be nice, love that city. How did you find job availability compared to in Asia? And number of hours worked? If needs be I'll supplement it with a bartending job, but I'd prefer to do as much teaching as possible.

supergiz

I'm seriously considering going back to teach English in Japan. I was there from 2008 to 2012 and worked for quite a few English schools (ECC, GABA, Interac, etc.). At the time I was young and had problems with drinking (thus the jobs at each of the different companies).

I really want to go back now, but I realize that due to the circumstances of how I left these companies, it might be hard for me to get a job at them again. I also understand that since I am currently residing in the USA, my options are quite limited.

Are there any other schools that hire from overseas to Japan that I am not thinking of? I was only fired from one of the schools. The other 2 I quit. Is there even a remote possibility of getting hired at the ones that I quit again?

To be honest, it's been 4 years since I came back to the states and I still feel like I died inside when I left Japan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bluethree

I don't know about those schools exactly, but in my experience a lot of places *will* ask for references so keep that in mind (usually they ask for 2). If you had problems at past schools (whether because of your mistakes or something else - coworkers, work environment, etc) then consider your references carefully.

Check ohayo sensei - some places listed there might hire from overseas. Are you qualified to do anything else? From my limited experience in job hunting here, teaching jobs are more likely to ask for references (not saying it never happens with other industries, but non-teaching jobs I applied for didn't ask).

supergiz

I don't know about those schools exactly, but in my experience a lot of places *will* ask for references so keep that in mind (usually they ask for 2). If you had problems at past schools (whether because of your mistakes or something else - coworkers, work environment, etc) then consider your references carefully.

Check ohayo sensei - some places listed there might hire from overseas. Are you qualified to do anything else? From my limited experience in job hunting here, teaching jobs are more likely to ask for references (not saying it never happens with other industries, but non-teaching jobs I applied for didn't ask).

As far as the references go, everyone I knew at the time is not working in Japan anymore (including management). I do feel my non teaching references I have will help me out more than they usually would. I have built up a fairly recognizable name in the last year that once they saw would help out a lot.

Darksol

I'm seriously considering going back to teach English in Japan. I was there from 2008 to 2012 and worked for quite a few English schools (ECC, GABA, Interac, etc.). At the time I was young and had problems with drinking (thus the jobs at each of the different companies).

I really want to go back now, but I realize that due to the circumstances of how I left these companies, it might be hard for me to get a job at them again. I also understand that since I am currently residing in the USA, my options are quite limited.

Are there any other schools that hire from overseas to Japan that I am not thinking of? I was only fired from one of the schools. The other 2 I quit. Is there even a remote possibility of getting hired at the ones that I quit again?

To be honest, it's been 4 years since I came back to the states and I still feel like I died inside when I left Japan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The biggest sin at most schools is leaving before you've fulfilled your contract. I think that would be a very hard hole to dig out of. If anything, I suggest applying to places you haven't worked before and choosing your references very carefully.

typist

Hi everyone, I have a question about teaching English in Europe, sorry if it's a little off topic for the thread but hope you can help. So I'm a UK citizen without a degree (dropped out) but I did pass the celta course in 2013. I've been applying to some jobs in Europe and just heard back from this lady in the Czech Republic, she had a look at my CV, we had a Skype interview and she offered me a job at her school. The website is here: http://www.eufrat.cz/

So thus far it all seems fairly legit. My only question is - do I need a contract? I've read you shouldn't teach in Asia without a contract and a visa in your pocket but is this also true for a UK citizen looking to teach in Europe?

sasimirobot

The biggest sin at most schools is leaving before you've fulfilled your contract. I think that would be a very hard hole to dig out of. If anything, I suggest applying to places you haven't worked before and choosing your references very carefully.

I know a dude who just goes back to the UK and changes his name every time he gets arrested or loses a job. I think his last name is "Money", the last time I saw him in Bangkok making a visa run, just random walking down the street. His new gig is using pick up apps like Tinder and what not to scam off of rich married Japanese women. God speed young gentleman!

Phew summer vacation is over in Japan. After a ton of traveling, partying, drinking, and being bored at the Board of Education offices, finally back into screwing around with the kids instead of working and playing pokemon in the teachers lounge.

Sorta haha.

Good to be back though, missed these little bastards for the month+ we had off. Also learned that in 4 years time all the teachers (at least here in Kagoshima, most likely all of Japan I guess) have to start teaching English classes all in English. No more of that 99% Japanese stuff.

Also got a new school. It's on Sakurajima, woo active volcano schools. But it really is a beautiful school and the staff is nice.

Jintor

Good to be back though, missed these little bastards for the month+ we had off. Also learned that in 4 years time all the teachers (at least here in Kagoshima, most likely all of Japan I guess) have to start teaching English classes all in English. No more of that 99% Japanese stuff.

boy that's gonna be fun

MGrant

Got the worst schedule this year. 22 hours of class, which isn't too bad, but they gave me Health to teach for some reason (I'm not even a PE coach, I'm an English/Humanities teacher). And six of my classes now only meet for 50 minutes each week. At an IB school. So I have to somehow cram inquiry learning into less than an hour of class time a week. They also took one of my twice-a-week Humanities classes and put both periods on one day: one period from 9-9:50 am, then again from 2-2:50 pm, so my kids won't have any time between lessons to make projects or do research. It's like whoever did the schedule was just like, "fuck we need someone to watch these kids at these times, let's just put the foreigner's classes there. Nailed it."

Phew summer vacation is over in Japan. After a ton of traveling, partying, drinking, and being bored at the Board of Education offices, finally back into screwing around with the kids instead of working and playing pokemon in the teachers lounge.

Sorta haha.

Also got a new school. It's on Sakurajima, woo active volcano schools. But it really is a beautiful school and the staff is nice.

How the hell do you get away with this? lol

My desk is directly in front of my Vice Principal so I can't pull my 3DS out...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom