• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vern

How are work environments in China in general and Shanghai in particular? I know it depends on the workplace/region/other factors but just a general idea. I was pretty excited to work in a non-teaching position for my last job in Japan - until I encountered the lack of communication, harassment, ignoring important issues, etc etc. I dont expect Chinese workplaces to be paradises or anything, just curious.

Chinese workplaces ... Lol. From my experience I got the same as you except for harassment. Most people in the office dicked around all day on messenger apps or games but stayed overtime to show the bosses how hard they were working. I just did my work and left and kept to myself mostly. The worst thing about the office was just that it was in kind of an old building and the air was super stale. I had to ask for like a year to get air purifiers and other stuff brought in. I also worked in a major international company doing consulting for about a month and that place was great. Modern office. People working together. Still pretty terrible communication overall though and lots of redundant people doing the same tasks. Overall I think working in China is fine. Just depends on the individual company and your role, plus your ability to adapt or ignore the stupid bs. Same as other countries I'd imagine.

Also, for late bloomers that are getting our Bachelor's degree, do you think English Teacher's will still be in high demand four years from now? If we are selected for JET or EPIK, how much money would you suggest saving up? Around $2.5K?

Barring a massive war with an English speaking country, definitely lol. Jet or epik, depends where you get placed. 2.5k is more than enough for where I was placed. General rule of thumb seems to be bring as much as possible but you most likely won't use all/most of it for things you actually need.

Barring a massive war with an English speaking country, definitely lol. Jet or epik, depends where you get placed. 2.5k is more than enough for where I was placed. General rule of thumb seems to be bring as much as possible but you most likely won't use all/most of it for things you actually need.

Sweet. I just wanted to make sure since I am going to finish my degree, then go to get my TEFL Certification after and teach abroad for 2-3 years (If they allow me). Thanks for the information!!!!

sasimirobot

Moved to a new city in China and all I do is turn down jobs left and right almost every day. China is a place where teachers have the upper hand , whether they know it or not. It is so sad to see some of the jobs posted and applied to, that have horrible pay, horrible hours, horrible benefits, yet somebody out there still puts up with that shit.

We really need to band together and put an end to this shit, fuck "agents", fuck 8,000RMB per month, fuck more than 20 work hours per week, fuck less than 200RMB per hour training schools, etc...

If we just stick together and refuse to even give these kinda jobs the time of day, teaching in China could be so much more lucrative...

Just last week I walked out of a job that offered me 16,000RMB after tax, only because they asked me to "pray" at lunch. No way, get the fuck out of here with that shit.

Darksol

Moved to a new city in China and all I do is turn down jobs left and right almost every day. China is a place where teachers have the upper hand , whether they know it or not. It is so sad to see some of the jobs posted and applied to, that have horrible pay, horrible hours, horrible benefits, yet somebody out there still puts up with that shit.

We really need to band together and put an end to this shit, fuck "agents", fuck 8,000RMB per month, fuck more than 20 work hours per week, fuck less than 200RMB per hour training schools, etc...

If we just stick together and refuse to even give these kinda jobs the time of day, teaching in China could be so much more lucrative...

Just last week I walked out of a job that offered me 16,000RMB after tax, only because they asked me to "pray" at lunch. No way, get the fuck out of here with that shit.

I can see some of your complaints, but you don't want to work at any place that makes you work over 20 hours a week?

sasimirobot

Actully I was a tad drunk when I wrote that, so sorry about all the profanity. But yeah, usually full time teaching hours are considered 20 per week.

I am subscribed to a job search wechat group and some of the offers on there are just retarded bad, so I needed to vent.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
After my 3 week trip to Japan I've decided it's time for me to move there so now goes the process of looking for an English teaching postion there. I'm a Black male early 30's looking to work in the Saitama part of Japan. My best friend lives there so he said I could stay with him for a while if I do find a job in Japan. I've seen a lot of eikawa schools in Kasukabe but how about applying from America? Should I even try the Jet program? Everything I see about JET scream White young applicants only. I'm staring to sell of my gaming collection and stuff I don't want to carry overseas.

Jintor

nah, JET is pretty good at the applicant/acceptance level of non-discrimination. LIFE in japan might be a different story, but I feel like that'd be true however you got over here. At least with JET you'd have some support structures (and a decent salary), however rudimentary.

You will mostly see college grads though, that's undeniable, but I think that might be more reflective of applicants than anything - especially if you have TESL or Japanese language experience.

I have read that to teach in Korea public schools, you need to have done 20 hours of TEFL in-person? So, if I took the University of Tornto TEFL 150-hour courses (I don't have any local school near me that teach TEFL), I am screwed out of Korea? Also, for late bloomers that are getting our Bachelor's degree, do you think English Teacher's will still be in high demand four years from now? If we are selected for JET or EPIK, how much money would you suggest saving up? Around $2.5K?

Just go to a hagwon. If you go to one with a good reputation then it is sweet. Only difference is the vacation, but you can earn much more.

I have no TEFL, education degree or masters, yet I earn more that someone who has all of those and has 4-5 years experience.

I am not sure English teachers will be in high demand for EPIk, it is always being defunded. However, hagwon owners will always be looking.

Should I even try the Jet program? Everything I see about JET scream White young applicants only.

That's a pretty weird thing to say. I currently work through the JET Program in a city along with a large, middle-aged Jamaican woman and a little black girl from South Carolina with dreads down to her waist.

neojubei

That's a pretty weird thing to say. I currently work through the JET Program in a city along with a large, middle-aged Jamaican woman and a little black girl from South Carolina with dreads down to her waist.

nah, JET is pretty good at the applicant/acceptance level of non-discrimination. LIFE in japan might be a different story, but I feel like that'd be true however you got over here. At least with JET you'd have some support structures (and a decent salary), however rudimentary.

You will mostly see college grads though, that's undeniable, but I think that might be more reflective of applicants than anything - especially if you have TESL or Japanese language experience.

I guess I'll apply with the Jet Program along with NOVA and other schools. I want to do at least 1-2 years so I can improve my Japanese language skills and take the Japanese proficiency test so I can apply for some jobs outside of an English instructor. I've lived in Japan for a year in college and visited Japan twice more after that. This past trip that ended yesterday :( would be my third. Currently I'm working to live and I think its time for a change. The prospect of teaching English compared to talking to angry shitty people 8 hours a day is one of my motivations.

Darksol

I guess I'll apply with the Jet Program along with NOVA and other schools. I want to do at least 1-2 years so I can improve my Japanese language skills and take the Japanese proficiency test so I can apply for some jobs outside of an English instructor. I've lived in Japan for a year in college and visited Japan twice more after that. This past trip that ended yesterday :( would be my third. Currently I'm working to live and I think its time for a change. The prospect of teaching English compared to talking to angry shitty people 8 hours a day is one of my motivations.

Keep in mind that JET is also a bit of a roll of the dice. You can specify that you want to work in Saitama prefecture, but there's no guarantee that you would be placed there.

Just go to a hagwon. If you go to one with a good reputation then it is sweet. Only difference is the vacation, but you can earn much more.

I have no TEFL, education degree or masters, yet I earn more that someone who has all of those and has 4-5 years experience.

I am not sure English teachers will be in high demand for EPIk, it is always being defunded. However, hagwon owners will always be looking.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the usual pay scale for some of the hagwon's there? EPIK pays &
$2,500, I believe, but I am trying to save money to pay off my student loans and have some leftover after rent and such.

Tevious

I have read that to teach in Korea public schools, you need to have done 20 hours of TEFL in-person? So, if I took the University of Tornto TEFL 150-hour courses (I don't have any local school near me that teach TEFL), I am screwed out of Korea? Also, for late bloomers that are getting our Bachelor's degree, do you think English Teacher's will still be in high demand four years from now? If we are selected for JET or EPIK, how much money would you suggest saving up? Around $2.5K?

Pretty sure that's just for Busan and maybe some other places, unless things changed for 2016. 2k should be plenty for Korea, unless you plan on buying a lot of furniture your first month. BTW, if you want in with EPIK, then make sure you submit your application in the first few days. First come, first serve for your preferred province/city.

neojubei

Keep in mind that JET is also a bit of a roll of the dice. You can specify that you want to work in Saitama prefecture, but there's no guarantee that you would be placed there.
I guess I'll apply and see what happens. If I can save some money on rent for a bit that would be excellent.

Anyone living in Japan long term have bought any condos or houses without any issues?

Darksol

Anybody else teaching elementary school students in Japan have trouble getting all of the songs out of your head at the end of the day?

Pretty sure that's just for Busan and maybe some other places, unless things changed for 2016. 2k should be plenty for Korea, unless you plan on buying a lot of furniture your first month. BTW, if you want in with EPIK, then make sure you submit your application in the first few days. First come, first serve for your preferred province/city.

Thanks for the info!!!

Was given privy to the list of new arrivals and their positions in Kyushu on Sunday... for some reason lol.... no idea who any of them were but grats to those who got into JET. I will be making the Kagoshima welcome letters either next week or end of next month (can't remember what my boss told me haha)

zoozilla

So I've got a position with Interac in Chiba-ken, and I'm going to be teaching at kindergartens exclusively with another ALT.

Anyone else have a position like this? Not sure what to expect.

So I've got a position with Interac in Chiba-ken, and I'm going to be teaching at kindergartens exclusively with another ALT.

Anyone else have a position like this? Not sure what to expect.

Kindergartens only? Expect kids to be climbing all over you and never wear anything you care about to work.

zoozilla

Kindergartens only? Expect kids to be climbing all over you and never wear anything you care about to work.

Yeah, I know that elementary schools emphasize activities over lecture-style lessons, but with even younger kids I guess "teaching" won't be the main goal. And I'm over 6 feet so I'll be like a giant to them.

I'm sure it'll be fun - I'm looking forward to naptime.

Yeah, I know that elementary schools emphasize activities over lecture-style lessons, but with even younger kids I guess "teaching" won't be the main goal. And I'm over 6 feet so I'll be like a giant to them.

I'm sure it'll be fun - I'm looking forward to naptime.

I deal with this in middle school haha. It was cute when they were fresh shy first years, but then they realized I was a more have fun do whatever you want as long as you don't get in trouble teacher. They jump all over me all day and I have to carry them on my back or arms all day... They are getting way to big and heavy now though. Tired everyday haha.

I'm 6'2 and some of my kids are starting to hit around 5'10+ already in the half a year since I've been here.

Kindergarten will be fun though, all the people who get that or early elementary love it. Kids hang on to your every word, and you can mold their english a bit better than a middle school textbook depending how much time you have with them.

KPJZKC

I'm a week away from completing my CELTA, and then heading off to Vietnam in the middle of June (do we have a HanoiGAF?).

Any great advice for me with regards to what to bring? Shoes, sun-cream, and teaching materials being the priorities so far. I'm pasty & Irish so I'll burn immediately.

Darksol

Kindergarten will be fun though, all the people who get that or early elementary love it. Kids hang on to your every word, and you can mold their english a bit better than a middle school textbook depending how much time you have with them.

This is so true. Grades 1-4 are especially great. By 5th or 6th grade, some students start getting tired, disinterested, etc. By junior high, a large portion are worn down.

But my younger students actively chase me down in the hall, and and ask me all sorts of questions in both Japanese and English.

Wvrs

I should be graduating next summer with a high-classification degree in English Language & Linguistics from a very good UK University; I'm thinking of doing something like this for a year or so afterwards, as I'm still unsure as to a career direction.

So I have excellent knowledge of the English Language: syntax, morphology, phonology, and all that (plus cultural awareness of languages, knowledge of how multiple languages cohabit the brain, etc. All useful stuff). One think I lack is teaching experience; since I have a year between now and graduation, is there anything I can do in that time to equip myself with skills that are geared towards a programme like this?

Cheers.

Darksol

I should be graduating next summer with a high-classification degree in English Language & Linguistics from a very good UK University; I'm thinking of doing something like this for a year or so afterwards, as I'm still unsure as to a career direction.

So I have excellent knowledge of the English Language: syntax, morphology, phonology, and all that (plus cultural awareness of languages, knowledge of how multiple languages cohabit the brain, etc. All useful stuff). One think I lack is teaching experience; since I have a year between now and graduation, is there anything I can do in that time to equip myself with skills that are geared towards a programme like this?

Cheers.

Get your CELTA certification. It gives you teaching experience, and looks nice in Asia.

Jintor

This is so true. Grades 1-4 are especially great. By 5th or 6th grade, some students start getting tired, disinterested, etc. By junior high, a large portion are worn down.

But my younger students actively chase me down in the hall, and and ask me all sorts of questions in both Japanese and English.

1st year middle schoolers are still a bit excitable, but it's still first semester... they'll have that beaten out of them soon enough! Between the japanese school system and puberty...

man, clubs leave these kids with zero time, huh

We have two visiting new/will be new teachers this week, both young ladies. Of course my 2nd years insist on asking if I think one of the ladies is cute. (yes she is) and I told them what I thought... Which lead to them and the whole school including staff asking if I was dating her... after only seeing her for a whole 13 seconds lol.

Then of course this lead them to ask "what about unoki sensei" who is a cute teacher here who is the same age as me, which of course everyone instantly assumes we are dating lol. Even the other teachers try to push it. -eyeroll-

Getting harder to tell who's messing with who lol. My 2nd years are way to smart for their own good. (Also happen to rate highest in the city in English skills, not to toot my own horn lol, which surprises people since they act like absolute monsters until you put a test in front of them) haha

Wvrs

Get your CELTA certification. It gives you teaching experience, and looks nice in Asia.

Thanks. It's a bit pricey, but I should be able to afford it by the time I finish University next May. I've been listless in the face of graduation, and was planning to look for work abroad anyway. I think I'm going to do this. Are jobs plentiful?

Great thread, thanks for posting.

zoozilla

We have two visiting new/will be new teachers this week, both young ladies. Of course my 2nd years insist on asking if I think one of the ladies is cute. (yes she is) and I told them what I thought... Which lead to them and the whole school including staff asking if I was dating her... after only seeing her for a whole 13 seconds lol.

Then of course this lead them to ask "what about unoki sensei" who is a cute teacher here who is the same age as me, which of course everyone instantly assumes we are dating lol. Even the other teachers try to push it. -eyeroll-

Getting harder to tell who's messing with who lol. My 2nd years are way to smart for their own good. (Also happen to rate highest in the city in English skills, not to toot my own horn lol, which surprises people since they act like absolute monsters until you put a test in front of them) haha

Wait, I didn't realize harems happened in real life.

Wait, I didn't realize harems happened in real life.

Haha almost anime status. Also does not help that I make way to many jokes about me being in love with the teacher who is the same age as me. Most students get that I am just kidding, but the smart ones know its a joke and somehow figured out how to turn it back on me.

Silly fun but, they are kinda taking it too far sometimes. Might get weird between me and the teacher at some point lol. Like yesterday we both happened to wear striped shirts and they were like "See, they dress alike!" completely nonsense haha.

Lol, the long winter here in Niigata made me forget how kids can be when the weather is nice/hot. I was walking out of the gym after PE next to the vice principal and some kids when an elementary 3rd grader asked the vice principal what he was going to have them do in their next class together. The kid didn't address the vice principal before blurting out the question and he said it in kind of a rude way, so the VP told him to ask again, and the kid said it the way same as before but louder/slower, then spat on the hallway floor...

I'm the only one around here that seems to have these sorts of kids and I am kind of happy that it gives me unique and exciting stories to tell, but also sad because it would be cool to have nice kids that really wanted to learn all the time.

Kipichu

Neo Member
I'm feeling really conflicted right now.

Last week I had my second interview for a position with Nova that really appeals to me, and they said they would contact me with their hiring decision in about 1-2 weeks.
Then an interview with a different school came up, and one day later I got a job offer from them. My only problem is that they want me in Japan in about a month...which means they want me to go on a tourist visa, promising that I could change it into a working visa while being there...which sounds really risky (and somewhat illegal). The thing is, I really need to confirm this school ASAP if I'm taking the offer...but I'm still hesitating because I'm really troubled about going there without a working visa (and because I haven't received a confirmation or rejection letter from Nova yet ). I'm also worried that if I decline this offer I might not get another chance...

So I was wondering:

1) Have any of you guys started out like this? (Going on a tourist visa while your sponsor takes care of the visa transition).
2) Is that really legal? Should I step out from this?
3) Would it be rude to write an inquiry about my application status to Nova? I've read that some hiring managers find this annoying.

Last week I had my second interview for a position with Nova that really appeals to me, and they said they would contact me with their hiring decision in about 1-2 weeks.
Then an interview with a different school came up, and one day later I got a job offer from them. My only problem is that they want me in Japan in about a month...which means they want me to go on a tourist visa, promising that I could change it into a working visa while being there...which sounds really risky (and somewhat illegal). The thing is, I really need to confirm this school ASAP if I'm taking the offer...but I'm still hesitating because I'm really troubled about going there without a working visa (and because I haven't received a confirmation or rejection letter from Nova yet ). I'm also worried that if I decline this offer I might not get another chance...

So I was wondering:

1) Have any of you guys started out like this? (Going on a tourist visa while your sponsor takes care of the visa transition).
3) Would it be rude to write an inquiry about my application status to Nova? I've read that some hiring managers find this annoying.

I thought Nova went under years ago

Darksol

So I was wondering:

1. Nope. I'm almost positive you can't transition from tourist to working while still in the country. If you were switching from working to student or something of that nature, then maybe, but...

2. It's very illegal. Besides, why would Nova even bother paying you? If they don't pay you, what are you going to do? Complain to the Japanese government that the job you took on a tourist visa stiffed you?

3. I'm not sure

Ness427

So I was wondering:

I actually came to Japan on a tourist visa with no job offers and went job hunting in the country (there are more opportunities for interviews in Japan as opposed to overseas). Had about six interviews before getting an offer (which was with NOVA). I wouldn't recommend doing this as it's super risky in that it's illegal and also you only have three months to get a job and get your work visa, the latter of which takes about a month to get processed.

Contrary to what some have said, it IS POSSIBLE to change a tourist visa to a work visa, I've personally done it and had no issues with immigration. The key things with this are you must have a return ticket when coming to Japan (even if it means you don't use it), as I don't think the airline won't even let you board if you don't have a return ticket. And when you do arrive in Japan and go through immigration, they'll ask for the purpose of you're stay, just tell them you're traveling and don't mention anything about work or else you'll most likely have trouble.

I don't think an established company like NOVA or a similar company would ask you to come over as a tourist. With this other school which sounds like a smaller, independent English school, they're more prone to doing stuff like this which is super sketchy and I wouldn't try it.

Again, I wouldn't recommend doing what I did, but it is possible to come as a tourist and get your visa switched over.

Kipichu

Neo Member
It is VERY much illegal and will potentially get you deported and banned from the country. Dont even think about it.

Thank you. Yeah, I actually had a very bad feeling about it, thankfully the school I was interested in gave me the opportunity to arrive later with visa in hand so now I'm relieved.

I thought Nova went under years ago

They told me they went bankrupt a few years ago, but another company bought them.

generally speaking if in doubt do not do illegal things

Yep, pretty much! I had the doubt whether this was illegal or not since I would be going with an actual offer, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing something when in doubt.

1. Nope. I'm almost positive you can't transition from tourist to working while still in the country. If you were switching from working to student or something of that nature, then maybe, but...

2. It's very illegal. Besides, why would Nova even bother paying you? If they don't pay you, what are you going to do? Complain to the Japanese government that the job you took on a tourist visa stiffed you?

3. I'm not sure

Yeah, I had the same suspicions. Nova wasn't the one that wanted me to go on a tourist visa tho, it was the other school, but I sorted it out already and will be arriving a few weeks later with visa in hand. Thanks for the advice.

I actually came to Japan on a tourist visa with no job offers and went job hunting in the country (there are more opportunities for interviews in Japan as opposed to overseas). Had about six interviews before getting an offer (which was with NOVA). I wouldn't recommend doing this as it's super risky in that it's illegal and also you only have three months to get a job and get your work visa, the latter of which takes about a month to get processed.

Contrary to what some have said, it IS POSSIBLE to change a tourist visa to a work visa, I've personally done it and had no issues with immigration. The key things with this are you must have a return ticket when coming to Japan (even if it means you don't use it), as I don't think the airline won't even let you board if you don't have a return ticket. And when you do arrive in Japan and go through immigration, they'll ask for the purpose of you're stay, just tell them you're traveling and don't mention anything about work or else you'll most likely have trouble.

I don't think an established company like NOVA or a similar company would ask you to come over as a tourist. With this other school which sounds like a smaller, independent English school, they're more prone to doing stuff like this which is super sketchy and I wouldn't try it.

Again, I wouldn't recommend doing what I did, but it is possible to come as a tourist and get your visa switched over.
Thank you so much for your answer! I already sorted it out with the other school and they agreed to wait a bit until I got my COE and apply for my visa. I hope everything goes well, and thanks again for sharing your experience!

It means a lot to me, so thanks to everyone! I really appreciate your help!

If anyone here wants to work in South Korea ASAP, my hagwon job is up for grabs.

I'm leaving because I'm a certified teacher and found an incredible opportunity here, and the school simply can't match their offer. The job itself is actually pretty good for a hagwon, but it is kindergarten/elementary so you have to love working with kids and have the patience to deal with the language barrier.

If you're interested and can qualify for an E-2 Visa (requires two apostilled documents: background check and four year degree in pretty much anything), this is a seriously great opportunity to live and work in Busan. It's 15 minutes from a beach and your housing is a one minute walk from the school. That, and it's right next to an amazing nightlife area with great food and a large expat community. TEFL/TEOSL certification not needed.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Hi language-GAF!

So, I'm finding myself in a jobless purgatory at the moment, and I need a way to save up a bit more funds towards topping my 2-year Diploma (UK) up to a 3-year Bachelor's Degree, in order to boost my prospects. Towards this end, I'm beginning to tentatively consider temporarily teaching English overseas, in Japan.

I've done a bit of surface reading on AEON and the like; still researching, but I think AEON is the one I currently feel attracted to the most.

Although I'm not from a natively English-speaking country, I'm fluent and I meet the requirement of at least 10 years of education in primarily English; and, thanks to a childhood abroad, I've got myself a sultry Canadian accent, which I hope will work to my favour in an interview.

However, what I'm worried about is my Diploma. It's just shy of being a Bachelor's Degree, which is what AEON says is a requirement for application. I also sadly have no teaching credentials or experience, but I'm totally the optimistic side of personable. My Diploma is in mechanical engineering and I graduated in 2014.

Would I still possibly be considered for acceptance into this program? :eek:

bluethree

A college degree is a visa requirement, so there's no way you can do it for any of these programs until you have one.

The only people I know teaching without uni degrees are people on spouse or permanent resident visas.

A college degree is a visa requirement, so there's no way you can do it for any of these programs until you have one.

The only people I know teaching without uni degrees are people on spouse or permanent resident visas.

ah, that's a shame, thanks for the reply ;_;

ST2K

If anyone here wants to work in South Korea ASAP, my hagwon job is up for grabs.

I'm leaving because I'm a certified teacher and found an incredible opportunity here, and the school simply can't match their offer. The job itself is actually pretty good for a hagwon, but it is kindergarten/elementary so you have to love working with kids and have the patience to deal with the language barrier.

If you're interested and can qualify for an E-2 Visa (requires two apostilled documents: background check and four year degree in pretty much anything), this is a seriously great opportunity to live and work in Busan. It's 15 minutes from a beach and your housing is a one minute walk from the school. That, and it's right next to an amazing nightlife area with great food and a large expat community. TEFL/TEOSL certification not needed.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Man, if this was a year from now I'd be all over this. Best of luck at your new job!

Always conflicted when a student asks me a stupid question, but uses perfect grammar and pronunciation to ask. "What's unko in English? How do I say manko in English sensei" -facepalm/slightly proud that you are understanding how this language works and flows-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom