• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people are far better at tone recognition than others (musically inclined?), and Vietnamese has a shit ton of them. I know it took me a few years to get my head around tones, other people may never be able to be comfortable with it.

Ironically I'm not very good at understanding, but I speak like a native. It makes for really awkward situations, because I talk to someone and after the initial shock they respond to me like I'm a native, and then I have no idea what they said :-/

Man, some of you guys make Interac sound like the worst.

Hope it's not that terrible, but I suppose it's not a bad idea to lower expectations. I was a late applicant, but went through the whole process smoothly.

I've accepted the job offer, but no placement details yet. Does the placement call happen after the visa application process, or are they unrelated?

Unrelated.

You might find out before or after.

arumisan

I just had my JET interview (UK).

-Made some mistakes on the grammar test
-Felt I nailed and exceeded some interview questions
-Went the wrong direction with some questions

Feel slightly more negative than positive.

Curious how JETGAF feel their interview went, especially current and former JETs.

Like what shanshan said, you probably did better that what you thought happening dring the interview. I've read some blog posts on the post-interview reflection of JET interviews and they still got in even though they thought they did terribly. That said, I'm panicking since I am terrible in interviews.

Don't worry, I'm sure it went better than you perceived it to go :)

My interview isn't till the 4th of Feb :s I'm getting into hardcore study mode atm in preparation..

Good luck to you! My interview (Sydney) isn't until the Feb 3rd and preparing for the interview but already feel quite overwhelmed :/ I'l get there though - hopefully.

Go_Ly_Dow

Don't worry, I'm sure it went better than you perceived it to go :)

My interview isn't till the 4th of Feb :s I'm getting into hardcore study mode atm in preparation..

Like what shanshan said, you probably did better that what you thought happening dring the interview. I've read some blog posts on the post-interview reflection of JET interviews and they still got in even though they thought they did terribly. That said, I'm panicking since I am terrible in interviews.

Good luck to you! My interview (Sydney) isn't until the Feb 3rd and preparing for the interview but already feel quite overwhelmed :/ I'l get there though - hopefully.

Thanks guys.

Good luck to both of you.

So I recently finished my Bachelors in Business Administration and is quite interested in getting in on some of these programs, I have no teaching certificate or experience and I'm from Jamaica, what are my possibilities?

Jaffaboy

So I recently finished my Bachelors in Business Administration and is quite interested in getting in on some of these programs, I have no teaching certificate or experience and I'm from Jamaica, what are my possibilities?

Usually jobs in Japan and Korea only employ people from the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland, and (sometimes) South Africa unfortunately. You might have more of a chance in China or South East Asia, but I don't know so much about that. What country did you do your bachelor's in?

Usually jobs in Japan and Korea only employ people from the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland, and (sometimes) South Africa unfortunately. You might have more of a chance in China or South East Asia, but I don't know so much about that. What country did you do your bachelor's in?

My bachelors was done in Jamaica, the JET program is actually done here as well, though there signing up process usually starts in August I believe so I kinda missed the boat. It is quite disappointing how much being born in Jamaica has been screwing me as far as traveling is concerned though lol. I think I may look into South America instead.

Jaffaboy

My bachelors was done in Jamaica, the JET program is actually done here as well, though there signing up process usually starts in August I believe so I kinda missed the boat. It is quite disappointing how much being born in Jamaica has been screwing me as far as traveling is concerned though lol. I think I may look into South America instead.

Ahh, I didn't know that! Definitely give it a go then. I'd also recommend doing a TEFL/TESOL online certificate, preferably with a classroom course/teaching experience (always make sure it's properly accredited) as it'll give you a great understanding of teaching English as a foreign language, and an edge on your application. As far as I know, EPIK no longer accept anyone without one, though I think JET still do. It might look like a fair bit of money to throw at a course, but it was incredibly useful for when I started teaching.

Also, see about volunteering somewhere where you can work alongside children, it doesn't have to necessarily be in teaching. South America is always an option too, for sure. Good luck :)

Ahh, I didn't know that! Definitely give it a go then. I'd also recommend doing a TEFL/TESOL online certificate, preferably with a classroom course/teaching experience (always make sure it's properly accredited) as it'll give you a great understanding of teaching English as a foreign language, and an edge on your application. As far as I know, EPIK no longer accept anyone without one, though I think JET still do. It might look like a fair bit of money to throw at a course, but it was incredibly useful for when I started teaching.

Also, see about volunteering somewhere where you can work alongside children, it doesn't have to necessarily be in teaching. South America is always an option too, for sure. Good luck :)

Thanks a bunch for the info man!

I have actually done volunteer work at a school in my first year as well.

Btw are there any particular online certificate you recommend?

bluethree

Interac at least is less picky about nationality. I've seen people from Jamaica teach in my old prefecture in Japan, and even some Egyptian guy who had great English (to be fair, he was a long-termer and naturalized citizen).

I just got back from our annual prefectural JET meeting this week and there was a significant mix of Jamaican, Singaporean, Filipino, Swiss, and even one native Japanese ALT. This was in Niigata, for what it's worth. American JETs here are definitely not the majority, if we're comparing American vs Other.

demonkaze

Sorry if this comes across as a stupid question but I was wondering if all jobs such as these require a degree as a minimum? This is something i've always been interested in and i'm in a position that now would be the right time to look into it however I don't have a degree. When I finished my school I was fortunate enough to get into a large publishing company and worked there for a number of years so I never did get a degree.

Scarecrow

I know this is an old post, but I was going back through old pages and came across this one. I've been learning Vietnamese off and on for, oh I don't know, probably 8 to 10 years. You'll either have an easy time or you'll be absolutely horrible at it. Personally I'm really good, idk it just comes natural for some reason. Sometimes I talk to people and they literally are stunned that a white guy is speaking with such a perfect accent. But I've met other people that can't say a single word to save their lives.

So it's been like almost 6 months since you wrote that post - how's it going?

I actually haven't studied since I got here. Guess I'm having commitment probs. But, I stuck with it longer than Chinese. Next, I'm taking a crack at Thai.

micster

Sorry if this comes across as a stupid question but I was wondering if all jobs such as these require a degree as a minimum? This is something i've always been interested in and i'm in a position that now would be the right time to look into it however I don't have a degree. When I finished my school I was fortunate enough to get into a large publishing company and worked there for a number of years so I never did get a degree.

For Japan - at least - you need a degree for the working visa.

Had my JET interview yesterday. After obsessing over interview prep and certain questions, and bad cop/good cop routines, it was the smoothest, easiest interview I've ever had. Most questions concerned my application/statement of purpose. Since I've never been great at speaking Japanese, that was my lowest point, but I came out of it feeling pretty confident since I was able to answer every question (perhaps with too much energy/gusto). Which of course means that I'm agonizing over every little point now, and for the next two months.

Darksol

For Japan - at least - you need a degree for the working visa.

Tell that to all of my friends with a working visa in Japan without a degree :p It's a degree OR a certain number of years (I can't remember how many) experience in your particular field. Having a degree definitely makes things easier though.

demonkaze

After looking around a bit, I've seen that some groups in China doesn't require a degree, which might be something worth looking into for me although I have to say, I would have preferred Japan but it seems like that won't be possible.

Scarecrow

After looking around a bit, I've seen that some groups in China doesn't require a degree, which might be something worth looking into for me although I have to say, I would have preferred Japan but it seems like that won't be possible.

China's a good starter country. My first country was China, last year. The school didn't care what I did as long as I didn't show movies all day or bone the students. Good place to get some practice before a harder country like Japan.

China's a good starter country. My first country was China, last year. The school didn't care what I did as long as I didn't show movies all day or bone the students. Good place to get some practice before a harder country like Japan.

I still think he should go to one school that pays at least 15.000 and not those schools that offer a "free appartment", "free meals", "help with visa" and 5000 RMB while they actually earn 60.000 each month with you and they will just fuck you up if you wanna renew your visa.

Scarecrow

I still think he should go to one school that pays at least 15.000 and not those schools that offer a "free appartment", "free meals", "help with visa" and 5000 RMB while they actually earn 60.000 each month with you and they will just fuck you up if you wanna renew your visa.

True. But, without a degree his/her options will be limited. Plus, free room and board ain't nothin' to turn your nose up at. It's way more than lots of people have in that country.

sohois

Technically for a proper visa in China you do require a degree. You're certainly gonna struggle to find a decent school without one. You should really look into doing a TEFL course or something to give yourself a better chance, most can be done in a few weeks

WoodWERD

What makes Japan a harder country?

True. But, without a degree his/her options will be limited. Plus, free room and board ain't nothin' to turn your nose up at. It's way more than lots of people have in that country.

Sure. But I would never work for such a company, because usually these are the companies that are scamming people. The free appartment will be one of the cheapest and dirtiest one, when you need to renew your visa, they will say that its no problem to renew it, but 1 month before the visa is expired they say they dont know how it works, tell you to go to HK and if you have too much visas there, you are fucked.
Not to mention you are actually not allowed to work without a business or work visa.

And then they earn like 50.000-60.000 with you, if they just pay you 5000. Such schools are the worst, but foreigners like to go there, because they think there wont be any problems. Then somehow the last salary is not paid, you cant renew your visa, the "meals" you should get are 12RMB meals at some cheap shop etc.

That is why I think that people who want to teach in China apply for a good school. There are a lot of good ones like EMF, Xindongfang (New Oriental) or even Wall Street English, where they do not try to scam you.
The degree you need is actually for a working visa, since most cities require you to have a university degree so they can apply a working visa for you.
Without a working visa, you should still be careful and you should know you are actually working illegaly in China. I know 2 girls where the PSB cancelled the study-visa they had, because they were teaching and earning some money.

bluethree

That's just an assumption on my end. I understand NETs work 40 hour weeks there. In china, I had maybe 20. Here in vietnam, I have between 20-26.

I'd say the assumption is correct though. I live in Japan, and after my last (non-teaching) job ended I looked for quite a while to find something that was as good (both for teaching and other jobs) to no avail. I have several years of ESL experience and I was getting turned down for ALT jobs! Too many other teachers here and crappy pay and conditions. Luckily I have a pretty good job now though. (full time business English teaching and consulting).

WoodWERD

That's just an assumption on my end. I understand NETs work 40 hour weeks there. In china, I had maybe 20. Here in vietnam, I have between 20-26.

I see. But there are plenty of posts from NETs about sitting behind a desk for hours on end with nothing to do.

So, I've been wondering about this. Once I've sorted out some things here, I plan on going to Japan for a year and possibly doing this. So maybe in a couple of years (I'll be 25 by then).

University: Went to University but never finish degree due to personal problems. Received a diploma.

Work Experience: Currently have 9 months of work at a blue chip company under my belt which I know I'll have for another year at least (if I don't get myself fired somehow!).

Japanese language: Been learning for 8 years now. My Japanese is upper-intermediate. I have an A* GCSE and 2 JLPT qualifications to back this up to. Currently working towards a 3rd JLPT.

Keeping in mind I wouldn't be applying to head over there for another 2 years or so, what would my options be when I get round to it?

Laieon

I have several years of ESL experience and I was getting turned down for ALT jobs! Too many other teachers here and crappy pay and conditions.

This is currently my situation in Korea. I don't have a ton of experience (2 years back home, 1.5 here, but that puts me above most people). I've been looking for a new school to switch to after my current contract is up, not having much luck so far. It's stressing me out, and I'm not the type of person who gets stressed easily.

bluethree

This is currently my situation in Korea. I don't have a ton of experience (2 years back home, 1.5 here, but that puts me above most people). I've been looking for a new school to switch to after my current contract is up, not having much luck so far. It's stressing me out, and I'm not the type of person who gets stressed easily.

Korea is where I started back in 2009, and it was so, so easy back then. I literally got my first job after a brief phone interview that had almost nothing to do with teaching ("do you like korean food"?). My second job I found in like 2 months.

Around the time I arrived was when things were starting to go down hill though - I've heard conditions have gone down the crapper. Luckily I got into JET as a CIR, but after that was my first real extended job search and it was rough.

Laieon

Korea is where I started back in 2009, and it was so, so easy back then. I literally got my first job after a brief phone interview that had almost nothing to do with teaching ("do you like korean food"?). My second job I found in like 2 months.

Around the time I arrived was when things were starting to go down hill though - I've heard conditions have gone down the crapper. Luckily I got into JET as a CIR, but after that was my first real extended job search and it was rough.

Yeah. I've been here since July 2014 and even since then I've seen a slight decline. Jobs in public schools are getting cut, so the private market is getting flooded. Wages haven't gone up to compensate for how awful the won is right now. I'd probably consider going home (or looking at another country) if it wasn't for the fact that I legitimately like it here, I have an awesome group of friends and am more active than I've ever been, and I have an awesome Korean girlfriend.

Do you actually teach English? I know you're a Mandarin expert but I can't recall you posting anything about teaching. Not trying to be confrontational, but you're not really giving an accurate depiction of what's out there. You're talking about opposite ends of the training center spectrum (Wall St., etc.). I work at a "prestigious" university and my visa and living arrangements are handled by the school. My salary is small but I worked a total of ~90 days last year.

I applied for a job at Xindongfang and know quite some people who worked at these "smaller" private schools.
My wife worked as an english teacher at Xindongfang.

I also applied at Renmin Daxue as a german teacher and what they actually offered as a salary was a joke.
But no. I have not worked as a teacher in China, but I know a lot that were burned by those smaller schools. And if you really know how much such companies earns with one student, something like 5000RMB are a joke.

I am not saying all are like these, but I think its pretty easy to distinguish which of the schools are honest and which ones are the more shady ones. In my opinion the more shady ones are the ones that try to tell you "come with a tourist visa, we can change it", which is almost impossible or try to let you work with a F/M-Visa and say it wont be a problem to renew that visa.

When is your current contract up?

I work at a Saturday school and the boss has asked me to find a person for M-F.

It is in Hongdae.

Starts March.

WoodWERD

I applied for a job at Xindongfang and know quite some people who worked at these "smaller" private schools.
My wife worked as an english teacher at Xindongfang.

I also applied at Renmin Daxue as a german teacher and what they actually offered as a salary was a joke.
But no. I have not worked as a teacher in China, but I know a lot that were burned by those smaller schools. And if you really know how much such companies earns with one student, something like 5000RMB are a joke.

I am not saying all are like these, but I think its pretty easy to distinguish which of the schools are honest and which ones are the more shady ones. In my opinion the more shady ones are the ones that try to tell you "come with a tourist visa, we can change it", which is almost impossible or try to let you work with a F/M-Visa and say it wont be a problem to renew that visa.

Word. I removed that last part of my post when I realized you were talking to someone without a degree.

Scarecrow

I'd say the assumption is correct though. I live in Japan, and after my last (non-teaching) job ended I looked for quite a while to find something that was as good (both for teaching and other jobs) to no avail. I have several years of ESL experience and I was getting turned down for ALT jobs! Too many other teachers here and crappy pay and conditions. Luckily I have a pretty good job now though. (full time business English teaching and consulting).

How'd you end up snagging that kind of job?

bluethree

How'd you end up snagging that kind of job?

Long story short - cold calling. I was getting kinda desperate not long after my JET contract ended and I contacted a bunch of locally owned Eikaiwa places in my prefecture and elsewhere. One of these schools happened to have corporate contracts all over Japan. A full time position was opening up, and the owner of the Eikaiwa school thought I was a perfect fit because of my background (combination of ESL and Japanese office experience, plus some other factors).

From my understanding full time business ESL jobs are very rare though - it's usually done as a side thing. Also if you are in Japan, you could do worse than contacting a bunch of locally owned places (not big chains) to see if they have anything available. Most of the time I got nothing, but I got a few other decent responses (there was another Eikaiwa school in Miyazaki where I lived before that liked my resume, but I don't drive so I didn't get it).

I'm a week and a half in and so far it's pretty awesome, I get paid decent money (better than say, an ALT or standard Eikaiwa) for talking to Japanese businessman and teaching them the TOEIC test (which I'll do for a couple of months before moving on to other subjects). The "consulting" part is random English stuff they need (i.e. help me with this presentation, edit this for me, give me some cultural advice for this business trip I'm taking, etc)

demonkaze

Technically for a proper visa in China you do require a degree. You're certainly gonna struggle to find a decent school without one. You should really look into doing a TEFL course or something to give yourself a better chance, most can be done in a few weeks

Thanks, i'll look into doing a TEFL course, any recommendations on where or how the best way to do it?

Scarecrow

Long story short - cold calling. I was getting kinda desperate not long after my JET contract ended and I contacted a bunch of locally owned Eikaiwa places in my prefecture and elsewhere. One of these schools happened to have corporate contracts all over Japan. A full time position was opening up, and the owner of the Eikaiwa school thought I was a perfect fit because of my background (combination of ESL and Japanese office experience, plus some other factors).

From my understanding full time business ESL jobs are very rare though - it's usually done as a side thing. Also if you are in Japan, you could do worse than contacting a bunch of locally owned places (not big chains) to see if they have anything available. Most of the time I got nothing, but I got a few other decent responses (there was another Eikaiwa school in Miyazaki where I lived before that liked my resume, but I don't drive so I didn't get it).

I'm a week and a half in and so far it's pretty awesome, I get paid decent money (better than say, an ALT or standard Eikaiwa) for talking to Japanese businessman and teaching them the TOEIC test (which I'll do for a couple of months before moving on to other subjects). The "consulting" part is random English stuff they need (i.e. help me with this presentation, edit this for me, give me some cultural advice for this business trip I'm taking, etc)

Right on. I just did an interview to teach kids in Myanmar. The pay is much larger than I'm used to (2500 a month). But I'm hesitant to head to that country. I've seen the documentary John Rambo. I know how this goes.

Laieon

When is your current contract up?

I work at a Saturday school and the boss has asked me to find a person for M-F.

It is in Hongdae.

Starts March.

February 29th.

Seoul Station is about an hour away depending on traffic, so I could pop up there on nights if I'd need to interview in person.

I signed up with Interac a few days ago and they sent me an email saying I have passed their initial screening and have a bunch of questions I should answer within 7 days time. So far so good I suppose

Alright, so I am a soon-to-be college graduate with a B.S. in Childhood Education (K-6th grade). I have a pretty decent amount of experience working with kids for someone my age; I worked as a camp counselor for 3 years, coached soccer for the past year, worked as a paraprofessional for children with psychiatric and developmental disorders for the past summers (and intend on doing so this summer), and was a student teacher in a 1st grade class for 16 weeks. Not an amazing amount of experience or anything, I don't know any foreign languages at all... but this is what I got under my belt.

A few questions:

1) Think I have a shot at this, simply given my brief resume to ya'll? I am very enthusiastic about teaching abroad and I think an Asian country would be interesting to explore. However, I did not concentrate in English, but American Studies.

2) Are there any programs that are more or less favorable than others? Are any of the major locations considered better or worse to teach in for someone with my limited travel experience? I want to make it clear that I really want to TEACH. I have a teaching degree, and I am ready to teach kids in a classroom. I noticed that many people have said that their experiences varied; some programs offered opportunities to teach the class, while others only allowed you to assist.

3) I am not a graduate yet. I technically finished my studies, but because I need to go to a few seminars I have to wait the next 16~ weeks to get my degree. Can I apply anywhere now? Will waiting until I am an official graduate raise my chances?

I'd just like to have a bit of a ballpark regarding my chances of getting in as well as the benefits and drawbacks of teaching in certain countries before I make any huge steps.

numble

Alright, so I am a soon-to-be college graduate with a B.S. in Childhood Education (K-6th grade). I have a pretty decent amount of experience working with kids for someone my age; I worked as a camp counselor for 3 years, coached soccer for the past year, worked as a paraprofessional for children with psychiatric and developmental disorders for the past summers (and intend on doing so this summer), and was a student teacher in a 1st grade class for 16 weeks. Not an amazing amount of experience or anything, I don't know any foreign languages at all... but this is what I got under my belt.

A few questions:

1) Think I have a shot at this, simply given my brief resume to ya'll? I am very enthusiastic about teaching abroad and I think an Asian country would be interesting to explore. However, I did not concentrate in English, but American Studies.

2) Are there any programs that are more or less favorable than others? Are any of the major locations considered better or worse to teach in for someone with my limited travel experience? I want to make it clear that I really want to TEACH. I have a teaching degree, and I am ready to teach kids in a classroom. I noticed that many people have said that their experiences varied; some programs offered opportunities to teach the class, while others only allowed you to assist.

3) I am not a graduate yet. I technically finished my studies, but because I need to go to a few seminars I have to wait the next 16~ weeks to get my degree. Can I apply anywhere now? Will waiting until I am an official graduate raise my chances?

I'd just like to have a bit of a ballpark regarding my chances of getting in as well as the benefits and drawbacks of teaching in certain countries before I make any huge steps.

A lot of people here seem to talk about teaching english, but international schools seem to be a big thing, at least in China. They all charge rich kids and expats tuition of $15,000 to $25,000/year, so I have to imagine the teacher's salaries are alright. I haven't done much research, but here is the starting salary for one school in Beijing, for instance:
http://www.isb.bj.edu.cn/uploaded/I...ocs/ISB-2015-2016-Faculty-Salary-Schedule.pdf

A few questions:

Depending on where you apply this might be to your advantage. Programmes like JET focus more on international understanding so American studies would be really useful. Although since you would only be a teaching assistant you might find it frustrating as a qualified teacher. Also, the hiring period for that is october-ish so you'd have to wait a while. I guess it would give you time to finish that degree at least. As long as you graduate before you start though I don't think it matters if you are an official graduate.

As for actual teaching jobs, someone else will need to help you there :s not really sure.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds good! I anticipate more answers but I appreciate the swift responses.

I already have three references written for me, but they're not specifically geared towards this program. Do you think I should have references written for me that detail specifically why I'm a great candidate for a teaching abroad program?

bluethree

What kind of questions can be expected in the interviews for these kind of jobs?

lol, unless you're going for something higher level like a university gig, then don't expect too many actual questions (or at least, many actually difficult questions) related to teaching.

at least that's how it is in japan or korea.

lol, unless you're going for something higher level like a university gig, then don't expect too many actual questions (or at least, many actually difficult questions) related to teaching.

at least that's how it is in japan or korea.
What kinds of questions though, if any?

For my interview for JET, I was asked why I was interested in Japan, why I chose specific places, what school level I think I would work best with, asked to give a 5 minute demonstration of a lesson I pulled out of my ass from a scenario they gave me in the interview waiting room, and a few questions in Japanese: do you prefer old buildings or new buildings, pretend you're this guy with a toothache--what are you saying to the doctor? (in Japanese), etc.

Also they asked me to expand upon one or two things in my essay and asked me to explain an English grammar question as if i were talking to a middle school student.

But some of those questions were probably dependent upon me declaring a prior interest in linguistics and majoring in Japanese in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom