• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can handle it perfectly fine. The chronology is the problem. At least half of this checklist should be in the post-selection process. I need four or more appointments to get these documents; I'm not going to invest hours and hours of my time just to get a rejection.

You're totally missing the point. If you're not willing to fight for this job, you're not the kind of candidate they want.

Porcile

Can anyone comment on how much this may have screwed me?

UK JET here.

Even if they chuck your application out, you aren't going to know why. It could be for any reason, maybe one not even related to your word count. Not worth worrying about.

I doubt even 5% of UK graduate applicants would be 'incapable' of this checklist; the employer wouldn't be wasting their time. However, I'm guessing similar programmes have the same checklist. So applicants determined to teach abroad will have the documentation ready anyway and sent to 20 employers, whereas I was particularly interested in this 1 employer.

Dude, the reason they make you do all that stuff prior to the interview is because of the length of time JET takes to get through the application process, they would be cutting it very fine in terms of getting your work visa ready in time for the school semester. You need your references, resume/CV, degree diploma and academic transcripts for your visa as much as you do your initial application.

If they waited until final selection time to starting processing your application for a Certificate of Eligibility, then there's a whole number of factors which could delay the process. It's far safer and easier for you to just do all that shit right at the start, rather than rushing to do it right at the end.

There are aspects about JET which are a major pain the arse and downright silly, but simply selecting to print four copies instead one is not one of them. If you somehow manage to screw that up or throw a wobbler about it, then it makes it far easier for JET to decide to not sponsor your visa, which is ultimately what you need them for the most. It's not like they need the applicants.

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction.

I'm looking to start teaching English as a foreign language here in London (where I'm from) and then in a few years or so I'd like to go teach it in Japan. Where shall I start? Is CELTA recommended? I've heard it's not required but might help with experience. It's hard to figure out how all this stuff works.

Thanks!

Darksol

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction.

I'm looking to start teaching English as a foreign language here in London (where I'm from) and then in a few years or so I'd like to go teach it in Japan. Where shall I start? Is CELTA recommended? I've heard it's not required but might help with experience. It's hard to figure out how all this stuff works.

Thanks!

I just finished with the CELTA and I can honestly say that it's worth it. It's one of the (if not the) most recognized EFL teaching certification in Asia. It's helped myself, and a lot of people I know who are now teaching in Japan, China, South Korea and Vietnam.

If you're just after a little extra spending money during an extended vacation in Japan, then no, you don't need it. As long as you're a native English speaker you can find work English teaching. But things like a degree and/or CELTA help open you up to more diverse teaching opportunities.

CELTA gives you a lot of practice lesson planning, teaching, and working with students at both an elementary and intermediate level. It's extremely mentally exhausting. I had students from over twenty different countries, so it was a great opportunity to see what unique L1 interferences were unique to each language.

Go_Ly_Dow

I can handle it perfectly fine. The chronology is the problem. At least half of this checklist should be in the post-selection process. I need four or more appointments to get these documents; I'm not going to invest hours and hours of my time just to get a rejection.

-They need to know that you are physically and mentally capable to work abroad, work in a school and to get your visa, hence the medical forms and statements.

-They need to know that you can legally work in a school and aren't a dangerous to young people, hence the authorisation & release form.

-They need references to gauge your ability, performance and credibility..

-They need a personal statement to gauge your own motives and grammar.

-It's a big investment on the Japanese governments part, so they need to ensure that the process is thorough to avoid dropouts.

It's absolutely fine.

Werp, I can't find any information on the Australian embassy site about the details of Statement of Purpose for JET. Anyone know how long the Australian one needs to be / how I should be formatting it? I've just done it based on last years...

Porcile

Werp, I can't find any information on the Australian embassy site about the details of Statement of Purpose for JET. Anyone know how long the Australian one needs to be / how I should be formatting it? I've just done it based on last years...

I'm not Australian, or even applying but since you might not get an answer from anyone else very quickly I looked anyway.

5) Essay (Statement of Purpose)
Typed, single-sided, double-spaced on A4 paper (210mm x 297mm) or letter-sized paper (8.5in x 11in), not exceeding two pages. This page limit must be strictly observed.

http://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/pdf/JETFILES/2016_application_guidelines.pdf

I'm not Australian, or even applying but since you might not get an answer from anyone else very quickly I looked anyway.

5) Essay (Statement of Purpose)
Typed, single-sided, double-spaced on A4 paper (210mm x 297mm) or letter-sized paper (8.5in x 11in), not exceeding two pages. This page limit must be strictly observed.

http://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/pdf/JETFILES/2016_application_guidelines.pdf

Thank you! lol, it's really late here and I just kept reading over that document. No idea how I missed it.

I just finished with the CELTA and I can honestly say that it's worth it. It's one of the (if not the) most recognized EFL teaching certification in Asia. It's helped myself, and a lot of people I know who are now teaching in Japan, China, South Korea and Vietnam.

If you're just after a little extra spending money during an extended vacation in Japan, then no, you don't need it. As long as you're a native English speaker you can find work English teaching. But things like a degree and/or CELTA help open you up to more diverse teaching opportunities.

CELTA gives you a lot of practice lesson planning, teaching, and working with students at both an elementary and intermediate level. It's extremely mentally exhausting. I had students from over twenty different countries, so it was a great opportunity to see what unique L1 interferences were unique to each language.

Thanks for the reply! I think you've kinda helped me confirm my decision even more. I'll likely give CELTA a try. I want to get as much experience and such as I can and I imagine, CELTA can only be a plus! :)

I will, thank you! It'll take me a while to accumulate such a fee but I'll make it happen. :)

Edit: Actually I do have one question! Where's the best place to do CELTA?

I should probably PM you this question...Any more questions will be lol.

Thanks!

Cookie18

I am in Japan doing my visa run and I just went to the consulate in Osaka for my E2. Instead of ₩60,000 and 1-2 days to process though it will take 4 days and cost ₩240,000. Everything I have read says 1-2 days and 60. Has anyone had any experience with it being like this? Did the process change recently or something?

Edit: I teach in Korea.

Jaffaboy

I will, thank you! It'll take me a while to accumulate such a fee but I'll make it happen. :)

Thanks!

I did my CELTA at International House Barcelona which was amazing, though probably not the cheapest way. It doesn't really matter where you do it because you're not going to have that much time to explore a new place or go out and have fun, the workload over the month is just too much. It's also standard across all schools and colleges, so you should be getting quality tutoring wherever you go. However, a lot of my course mates got jobs pretty quickly in Spain as they were already there, and the school really helped by posting jobs and providing references. Schools in Thailand are pretty popular too as it's cheaper than a lot of other places to take the course and the cost of living is very low.

I've also heard there's another cert called Trinity or something that's an equivalent of the CELTA but just a different accrediting body, and is generally a lot cheaper. Might be worth looking into.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Getting my transcripts is the only thing about JET I hate. I got them for EPIK and now I have to pay for them for JET, also. I went to like four different schools counting community college summer courses. Bleh.

bluethree

I am in Japan doing my visa run and I just went to the consulate in Osaka for my E2. Instead of ₩60,000 and 1-2 days to process though it will take 4 days and cost ₩240,000. Everything I have read says 1-2 days and 60. Has anyone had any experience with it being like this? Did the process change recently or something?

Edit: I teach in Korea.

wtf, it was 1 or 2 days when I did it in Osaka years ago.

Darksol

Thanks!

I did mine in Montreal, Canada. There shouldn't really be a best spot. They're very anal about having a certain standard which must be met, and every centre that runs the CELTA is evaluated by assessors on an annual basis.

As the other person mentioned, it doesn't matter where you go - you won't have any free time!

I did my CELTA at International House Barcelona which was amazing, though probably not the cheapest way. It doesn't really matter where you do it because you're not going to have that much time to explore a new place or go out and have fun, the workload over the month is just too much. It's also standard across all schools and colleges, so you should be getting quality tutoring wherever you go. However, a lot of my course mates got jobs pretty quickly in Spain as they were already there, and the school really helped by posting jobs and providing references. Schools in Thailand are pretty popular too as it's cheaper than a lot of other places to take the course and the cost of living is very low.

I've also heard there's another cert called Trinity or something that's an equivalent of the CELTA but just a different accrediting body, and is generally a lot cheaper. Might be worth looking into.

I did mine in Montreal, Canada. There shouldn't really be a best spot. They're very anal about having a certain standard which must be met, and every centre that runs the CELTA is evaluated by assessors on an annual basis.

As the other person mentioned, it doesn't matter where you go - you won't have any free time!

Thank you guys, great responses! :)

I'm currently getting all my visa documents together to send to Interac. For the resume part, do I have to list literally every job I've ever had? I had a ton of different jobs while I was in college/high school and I had a ton of different ones after college. Should I be listing every job I can recall? Also, is it okay if the dates are estimates? Thanks!

Shouta

I'm currently getting all my visa documents together to send to Interac. For the resume part, do I have to list literally every job I've ever had? I had a ton of different jobs while I was in college/high school and I had a ton of different ones after college. Should I be listing every job I can recall? Also, is it okay if the dates are estimates? Thanks!

I would personally list the ones in the last few years and then cut it off from there. I don't see a reason to go too far back but it's been years since I interviewed with Interac.

Porcile

You only need to make sure there are no unexplained gaps in your CV from the beginning of your education until now. Did you get accepted for the job? In the documents they send it tells you all formatting details you need.

Just got an offer working for the Yokohama Interac branch. Kanagawa prefecture is pretty much exactly what I wanted so I'm extremely happy that I got Kanagawa. Anyone here have experience working for this branch?

Darksol

Just got an offer working for the Yokohama Interac branch. Kanagawa prefecture is pretty much exactly what I wanted so I'm extremely happy that I got Kanagawa. Anyone here have experience working for this branch?

I have no experience with them, but you got a real choice location.

bluethree

Yeah, I've no experience with Interac either (because fuck not getting properly paid for 4 months of the year), but Yokohama is awesome. I'll be moving there myself next month to teach business English classes.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Interac also makes you pay to go abroad. Screw that.

When can JET applicants expect to hear back about getting selected (or failing to be selected) for the interview?

bluethree

Interac also makes you pay to go abroad. Screw that.

When can JET applicants expect to hear back about getting selected (or failing to be selected) for the interview?

Seriously, if Interac was operating in a country other than Japan, there's no way they'd get away with half the shit they do.

A few years back I got my JET interview notification in early February. The interview was a couple of weeks later. And I got my acceptance first week of April.

Yeah, I've no experience with Interac either (because fuck not getting properly paid for 4 months of the year), but Yokohama is awesome. I'll be moving there myself next month to teach business English classes.

Well, yeah. This is just my way of getting a visa and getting into the country. I plan on applying to a bunch of different places to work at in 2017.

Porcile

I'll take the good with the bad in those four half paid months. I'll be shooting for the JLPT N1 in December, so doing the interac thing is only short term in order to get my foot in the Japan door and to see if I enjoy living and working in Japan.

Scarecrow

Midterms are wrapping up here in Nam. I've been showing classes How the Grinch Stole Christmas with our extra class time. The high schoolers respond pretty well to it, even though every other line is filled with Suess nonsense words.

Got a letter in the mail from jet, passed the first stage :D ye-yeah! Here's hoping I don't mess up the interview, the CIR position looks awesome. Anyone else heard back yet?

Arksy

Hey guys, I've been interested in this for a bit. I'm wondering what the best way of actually attaining a job might be. For China, I tried Chinajob but there seems to be very few recent postings. eChinacities is apparently quite dodgy but I'm not sure about the source of it.

Also, aside from EPIK - what pathways are there in Korea?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Is it just me or are visa renewals getting easier in Japan? Higher volume of applicants? I just got 5 years and all my friends who renewed last year got the same, previously been getting 1 year or if we were lucky 3.

So grateful since it means I can teach part time while going to school without worrying about needing something full time for sponsorship when visa renewal comes up.

Arksy

Update: Gotta love the search. You find something that you might enjoy and then you do a google search and there's 5 or so people posting huge rambling rants about how scummy and terrible the place was.

Darksol

Is it just me or are visa renewals getting easier in Japan? Higher volume of applicants? I just got 5 years and all my friends who renewed last year got the same, previously been getting 1 year or if we were lucky 3.

So grateful since it means I can teach part time while going to school without worrying about needing something full time for sponsorship when visa renewal comes up.

This makes me happy to hear. I certainly hope so :)

I'm also wondering if the upcoming 2020 Olympics will result in more visas being approved.

I'm on a 1 year working holiday visa, but after that I have to fend for myself with either a work visa or a student visa.

SolVanderlyn

Fuck. Rejected from JET.

morch

Fuck. Rejected from JET.

The worst thing is the minimally done cheaply photocopied paper. Just somehow seemed apt after last minute interview invitations after waiting 6 weeks etc...

Its a good opportunity for people who get on, but I went for the wild West of China in the end

thenexus6

What would someones chances that have

A degree,
TEFL certificate
Have been learning Japanese for over a year at a night college
Savings
No full time job / current job at all be applying to any of the companies currently taking people?

WoodWERD

What would someones chances that have

A degree,
TEFL certificate
Have been learning Japanese for over a year at a night college
Savings
No full time job / current job at all be applying to any of the companies currently taking people?

magic_hate_ball.jpg

I love my ALT job to a ridiculous degree:

Sure the pay is $400 a month less then a typical English conversation, but to be able to wear whatever I want within reason, to have 2-3 hours day where it's just like you can read no problem and to just be able to shoot the breeze with the kids.

I came back from vacation last week with pink highlights in my hair not fully washed out, didn't notice due to lighting in my apartment. Kids pointed it out, but somehow none of the other teachers or principals seemed to care. If that was a Gaba or etc it would have been go home and get a very very stern warning possibly firing.

Darksol

I love my ALT job to a ridiculous degree:

Sure the pay is $400 a month less then a typical English conversation, but to be able to wear whatever I want within reason, to have 2-3 hours day where it's just like you can read no problem and to just be able to shoot the breeze with the kids.

I came back from vacation last week with pink highlights in my hair not fully washed out, didn't notice due to lighting in my apartment. Kids pointed it out, but somehow none of the other teachers or principals seemed to care. If that was a Gaba or etc it would have been go home and get a very very stern warning possibly firing.

Where do you work?

That's why I'm setting up a lot of one on one tutoring. Less formal, and a more relaxed atmosphere. However, I stocked up on dress shoes, dress pants, blazers and suits for my inevitable eikaiwa job :p

Go_Ly_Dow

I just had my JET interview (UK).

-Made some mistakes on the grammar test
-Felt I nailed and exceeded some interview questions
-Went the wrong direction with some questions

Feel slightly more negative than positive.

Curious how JETGAF feel their interview went, especially current and former JETs.

Don't worry, I'm sure it went better than you perceived it to go :)

My interview isn't till the 4th of Feb :s I'm getting into hardcore study mode atm in preparation..

So, how long has it taken some of you to get the basics of learning a new language? I've been studying some Vietnamese in prep for my trip to Hanoi. Even though I understand Hanoi is pretty easy to get around with only English, I want to do a better job of getting into the culture than I did in China.

I know this is an old post, but I was going back through old pages and came across this one. I've been learning Vietnamese off and on for, oh I don't know, probably 8 to 10 years. You'll either have an easy time or you'll be absolutely horrible at it. Personally I'm really good, idk it just comes natural for some reason. Sometimes I talk to people and they literally are stunned that a white guy is speaking with such a perfect accent. But I've met other people that can't say a single word to save their lives.

So it's been like almost 6 months since you wrote that post - how's it going?

zoozilla

Man, some of you guys make Interac sound like the worst.

Hope it's not that terrible, but I suppose it's not a bad idea to lower expectations. I was a late applicant, but went through the whole process smoothly.

I've accepted the job offer, but no placement details yet. Does the placement call happen after the visa application process, or are they unrelated?

sasimirobot

Sometimes I talk to people and they literally are stunned that a white guy is speaking with such a perfect accent. But I've met other people that can't say a single word to save their lives.

So it's been like almost 6 months since you wrote that post - how's it going?

Some people are far better at tone recognition than others (musically inclined?), and Vietnamese has a shit ton of them. I know it took me a few years to get my head around tones, other people may never be able to be comfortable with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom