• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

salromano

L.A. Noire for PC dated.

Rockstar Games Announces L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition Release Date for PC

New York, NY, September 28, 2011 -- Rockstar Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), and Team Bondi Pty. Ltd., are proud to announce that L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition will launch on Windows PC, Steam, and OnLive in North America on November 8, 2011 and in Europe on November 11, 2011.

In addition to the original full game, consumers that purchase L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition will receive a multi-use code to access all downloadable add-ons and cases. This includes all previously released DLC from the console versions, including the “Nicholson Electroplating” Arson case, “Reefer Madness” Vice case, “The Consul’s Car” Traffic case, “The Naked City” Vice case and “A Slip of the Tongue” Traffic case.

The PC version of L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition was developed by Rockstar Leeds. It will run on a wide range of PCs and feature increased resolution and graphical detail along with keyboard remapping and gamepad functionality. L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition on PC will also feature support for NVIDIA 3D Vision for an even greater sense of interaction and immersion.

System Specifications:

· Operating System: Windows 7 / Windows Vista Service Pack 1 / Windows XP Service Pack 3 / OnLive for PC or Mac;

· Processor: Intel Dual Core 2.2GHz to Quad Core 3.2GHz / AMD Dual Core 2.4Ghz to Quad Core 3.2Ghz;

· RAM: 2GB to 8GB;

· Hard drive space: 16GB;

· Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512MB to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB / Radeon HD 3000 512MB to Radeon HD 6850 1024MB;

· Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9 Compatible;

· DVD Drive.

L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition is rated M for Mature by the ESRB and will be available at retail and digitally for $49.99 / €49.99 / £39.99.

For more information, log onto www.rockstargames.com/lanoire.

FGMPR

Banned
Somebody needs to tell Take 2 that Skyrim comes out on the 11th. Release it a week before and I'll buy it/have time to play it before Skyrim consumes all.

It's available on OnLive (Complete edition). However, there is no demo and Rockstar requested that OnLive disable user spectating, which sucks because I want see how the game runs on there.

Just finished it today. Really enjoyed it, inspite of some faults, and hope Rockstar makes a sequel or atleast uses this engine again. I'd take a future noir game. The engine would work well for a lovecraftian horror game too.

Also really wish The Consul's Car was out for the 360. The PC version has it, about time it's on all platforms.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody know happened to Brendan Mcnamara after the whole team bondi controversy? Team bondi is no more, so has he set up shop somewhere else?

SpaceHorror

BigBlackGamer said:
anymore impressions on how it runs on PC? I'm ready to double dip.

Understand it runs fine, but that people aren't able to launch the steam version of the game. Retail seems to be launching fine.

It's downloading at my apartment right now, so when I get off work in a few hours I'll find out myself and report back.

BigBlackGamer said:
anymore impressions on how it runs on PC? I'm ready to double dip.

Looks like ass and runs like ass. It's really one ugly mess on pc and even when you put on max AA there's aliasing everywhere, from the little I bothered so far it seems as bad as the GTA4 port before the patches.

d1rtn4p

Bought it on Steam, I'm also unable to get it to run. It reaches the splash screen and then closes totally out. Hearing all the bad performance problems, think I'm just gonna get a refund.

UrbanRats

Tizoc said:
Any word on a GotY edition with all DLC for PS3/360?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050SXBQC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050SYKZ8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

WoodenLung said:
Looks like ass and runs like ass. It's really one ugly mess on pc and even when you put on max AA there's aliasing everywhere, from the little I bothered so far it seems as bad as the GTA4 port before the patches.
Goddamit R*.
How about having a studio of PCporting, competent people? Also if you were going bother to port a game, why didn't you chose Red De.. ah, forget it.

dwebo

It's too bad about those steam issues. Considering people can't even get it to start up, maybe it wasn't setup properly to install the various distributables that come with most games, as I have to assume their QA wasn't that inept.

CAW

WoodenLung said:
Runs fine and looks good for me (maxed settings at 1920x1080). My setup is:

• Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
  • i5-2500 3.3GHz
  • MSI Radeon HD 6950 Twin Frozr II OC 810MHZ 2GB
  • 8GB G.Skillz MEM
  • Green Man Gaming version downloaded through Capsule

I can't get MSI Afterburner or FRAPS to display the FPS but it's between 30 and 60. It's pretty fluid.

Here's some screens I've taken using Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/molsonwarrior/screenshots/?tab=&showdate=1&filter=shortcut_26033

edit friend of mine that has 2x6950 was having issues. He had to disable crossfire in order for the game to run properly. Seems to always be the case though and I'm sure AMD will release some crossfire drivers/support soon. It's tough to get the word out though with the Steam forums being down.

Hmm maybe they got issues with certain cards, I only got one GTX 570, no dual stuff crapping up on me just the game stuttering quite a lot at times. It really looks like ass though, this is from the hi res screenshot thread and looks like what I am seeing, this is how it looks like on the highest, also shows pretty well how useless the AA is :

la-noire-pc-c.jpg

and this is on the lowest.

la-noire-pc-d.jpg

There's barely a fucking difference, some small ones but nothing that makes it much better looking.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Zep said:
That is embarrassing. Rockstar needs to get their shit together on PC ports.

I am not really sure if we can blame Rockstar here, it's not their engine, the guys behind the original codes (Bondi) are not available anymore, and McNamara's own port was shitty on the xbox360.

jett

D-Member
LA Noire is a pretty homely looking game on every platform, dunno what were some of you expecting. I imagine the video-faces look worse than ever on the PC, too.

Decided to take a break from Skyrim and give L.A. Noire a shot, can't even launch the game, not even after trying these suggested fixes...

http://support.rockstargames.com/en...sing-in-the-steam-version-of-l-a-noire-for-pc

I know this much, I won't be buying another Rockstar PC game at launch, the quality of their ports is atrocious, and I may be seeking my first refund from Valve/Steam.

Edit: Finally got it to run by changing the Steam.exe to be Run by Admin. Can't recall exactly why I'm somewhat reticent to have this option on, I have once in the past and changed it back for reasons I can't recall.

Now to deal with Rockstar's asinine, superfluous account bullshit.

ArjanN

jett said:
LA Noire is a pretty homely looking game on every platform, dunno what were some of you expecting. I imagine the video-faces look worse than ever on the PC, too.

Well, sort of, but the facial tech is still much better than other games.

I'm actually pretty impressed overall after playing the game for a couple of hours, makes the gaf backlash seem way exaggerated.

buffi

Banned
Just finished the game.

It's really insane how bad it was. The facial animations was pretty much the only nice thing about it. The combat was awful, the cases 100% linear and impossible to fail in. Zero difficulty level. Retarded puzzles that doesn't require any mental thought (like the "please insert these numbers here" puzzles).

I really can't understand how this can have close to 90% on metacritics. Other than the graphics, this was truly an awful game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
buffi said:
Just finished the game.

It's really insane how bad it was. The facial animations was pretty much the only nice thing about it. The combat was awful, the cases 100% linear and impossible to fail in. Zero difficulty level. Retarded puzzles that doesn't require any mental thought (like the "please insert these numbers here" puzzles).

yeah agree on the game,story was complete and utter bullshit, the cases and what happen within them and how the game try to tell you it's not the criminal is beyond stupid (for example a dude ran away from the cops and made himself a suspect for a stupid reason like the possibility of having a small penis? really McNamara?wtf is wrong with you )the "gameplay" is you can call that a gameplay is really crap, shooting are absolutely bad, driving is awful, town is soulless and dead as a rotten corpse.

It's one of the worst games I have played this entire gen.

I really can't understand how this can have close to 90% on metacritics. Other than the graphics, this was truly an awful game

Rockstar logo on the cover did that most likely, the metacritic and even the sales ( not deserved at all imho) this game got is just make me sad and really tell about why reviewers are the industry biggest joke these days.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just started playing. I don't see much wrong with the driving or shooting. The latter seems to be an improvement over GTA even. I will see how I like the rest of it soon enough I guess but so far the presentation and atmosphere is nice except for that intuition stuff. Like a what if Mafia 2 was a point & click adventure instead of what it was.

My only complaint is that the game didn't encourage you whatsoever to explore the vast world. The game was a 90% faithful recreation of 1947 Los Angeles, yet the game was so linear you don't get to take in any of that. I played through the game 3 times and still didn't feel like I knew anything about the game world.

buffi said:
Just finished the game.

It's really insane how bad it was.
It is hard to take a post like that seriously. If it was 'insane how bad it was' . . . then why did you play it to completion? Are you a masochist?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
speculawyer said:
It is hard to take a post like that seriously. If it was 'insane how bad it was' . . . then why did you play it to completion? Are you a masochist?

Well the question is not for me but I played this "insanely bad game" to completion because it's just a habit really,I complete most (if not all)of the games I play even really bad ones like this game.Also so no one tell that I didn't complete it criticize and because of that I can't critic the game in gaming forums( no seriously ) .

ArjanN

After playing some more I really get the impression that the people who hated it, hate it for what it isn't, i.e. GTA, instead of what it is: an adventure game that just uses a GTA-type world as a backdrop.

Totobeni said:
yeah agree on the game,story was complete and utter bullshit, the cases and what happen within them and how the game try to tell you it's not the criminal is beyond stupid (for example a dude ran away from the cops and made himself a suspect for a stupid reason like the possibility of having a small penis? really McNamara?wtf is wrong with you )the "gameplay" is you can call that a gameplay is really crap, shooting are absolutely bad, driving is awful, town is soulless and dead as a rotten corpse.

It's one of the worst games I have played this entire gen.

Rockstar logo on the cover did that most likely, the metacritic and even the sales ( not deserved at all imho) this game got is just make me sad and really tell about why reviewers are the industry biggest joke these days.

Have you considered that maybe they did like the game? Your reaction seems a tad overblown.

The shooting and driving and the other gameplay is mechanically no worse than in GTA, but really all the gameplay is in service of the story and presentation which I guess some people don't like.

buffi

Banned
speculawyer said:

I'm pretty OCD about finishing games I start heh.

ArjanN said:
After playing some more I really get the impression that the people who hated it, hate it for what it isn't, i.e. GTA, instead of what it is: an adventure game that just uses a GTA-type world as a backdrop.

Have you considered that maybe they did like the game? Your reaction seems a tad overblown.

The shooting and driving and the other gameplay is mechanically no worse than in GTA, but really all the gameplay is in service of the story and presentation which I guess some people don't like.

The issue about this as an adventure game is mostly that it's 100% linear without difficulty, which means that it will have to rely only on it's story. The story is basically a waaaay to long, rather bad movie.

ArjanN

buffi said:
The issue about this as an adventure game is mostly that it's 100% linear without difficulty, which means that it will have to rely only on it's story. The story is basically a waaaay to long, rather bad movie.

Well I think it's similar to old school point and click adventure games, which are also 100% linear and I think they kept the difficulty low to keep the pace up. I'm not done yet, so I can't comment on the story as a whole, but for me the face tech, excelllent performances and setting make up for the basic but serviceable gameplay.

This game reminds me of old point and click games. I'm still enjoying it. I'm almost done with the vice desk.

I think a lot of people liked this game because it's a pretty unique experience, and if anything, it shows that there's an audience for this kind of game. It's a very unique experience, and I'm happy I've gotten to play it.

There are definitely some missteps but the implications of where a game like this could go is really interesting. I really hope there's a sequel, even with Team Bondi gone. There's a ton of potential here that wasn't explored in the game.

And buffi, Superman 64 is a bad game. Kabuki Warriors is a bad game. X-men for the NES is a bad game. L.A. Noire is not. It might not be to your tastes, and it may not be your style of game, but to say it was "insanely bad" is just stupid.

buffi

Banned
ArjanN said:
Well I think it's similar to old school point and click adventure games, which are also 100% linear and I think they kept the difficulty low to keep the pace up. I'm not done yet, so I can't comment on the story as a whole, but for me the face tech, excelllent performances and setting make up for the basic but serviceable gameplay.

Old school point & click games were at least rather hard, and not just a one-dimensional road without obstructions.

It gets reptitive, which is understandable. There isn't much to how the game works, which sucks, but I've found that when I play it a case or two at a time it's a great experience.

daffy

Banned
game was atrocious. Seriously picking up cola bottles trying to find clues? Fuck this shit. After the 7th empty bottle of pop I bailed out.

This game reminds me of old point and click games. I'm still enjoying it. I'm almost done with the vice desk.

I think a lot of people liked this game because it's a pretty unique experience, and if anything, it shows that there's an audience for this kind of game. It's a very unique experience, and I'm happy I've gotten to play it.

There are definitely some missteps but the implications of where a game like this could go is really interesting. I really hope there's a sequel, even with Team Bondi gone. There's a ton of potential here that wasn't explored in the game.

And buffi, Superman 64 is a bad game. Kabuki Warriors is a bad game. X-men for the NES is a bad game. L.A. Noire is not. It might not be to your tastes, and it may not be your style of game, but to say it was "insanely bad" is just stupid.

The game is a good showpiece for the facial capture technology, and that is IT, but in terms of actual gameplay it's really not that good, it's repetitive as fuck, it's like a cake with no taste, it's nicely decorated, it has many layers but it's completely and utterly bland, I wouldn't say it's insanely bad, it's pretty mediocre and probably not worth a buy.

That said, the facial tech is pretty fucking cool for like the first few cases, even though I'm pretty sick of Aaron Staton at this point.

The game is a good showpiece for the facial capture technology, and that is IT, but in terms of actual gameplay it's really not that good, it's repetitive as fuck, it's like a cake with no taste, it's nicely decorated, it has many layers but it's completely and utterly bland, I wouldn't say it's insanely bad, it's pretty mediocre and probably not worth a buy.

That said, the facial tech is pretty fucking cool for like the first few cases, even though I'm pretty sick of Aaron Staton at this point.

Well, sorry you didn't like it. I think anyone can see that L.A. Noire doesn't belong in the same league as a game like Superman 64. There are truly bad games out there, and this isn't one of them. It may not play to peoples' tastes, but that's how things work. I'm glad it's not generic first person shooter 37 or some crazy sequel. Props have to be given because this game is different compared to most anything out on consoles this gen.

I'm still having a blast with it, but I don't power through games like most people here seem to so the games flaws might be as glaring to me as a person who went through the first 16 cases in one night. My time is limited with family and things like that, so being able to play this game a case or two a night, and it's a very fun experience. There are things that aren't fun anymore, like the car chases, but for the most part, I've really enjoyed this game. I'm hoping to have it beat after thanksgiving. I just hit the arson desk.

Maybe I missed something but what caused Cole to
fuck that german broad? Granted, I took a break from the game cause my girl took over the xbox, but I don't remember her at all, and having Cole just roll up and hit it didn't make a lot of sense to me

Maybe I missed something but what caused Cole to
fuck that german broad? Granted, I took a break from the game cause my girl took over the xbox, but I don't remember her at all, and having Cole just roll up and hit it didn't make a lot of sense to me

Nothing specifically,
he got introduced to her by the Vice guy and he liked her
its just a plot device to show he is a flawed character in the classic Noir style.

RedSwirl

So this game is now $20 on Amazon. Impressions? I like a good adventure game but I don't have a very good history with Rockstar games on consoles - I absolutely hate GTA's controls. What's the action/adventure balance here? Also, is the PC port really as horrible as I've heard? Bad enough to where I should just get the PS3 version?

Edit: oh, and Amazon is indeed selling the complete edition on sale right?

Zabojnik

If anyone who's completed the PC version is willing to share the savegame file, I'd appreciate it. I already finished the game on the PS3, I just want to play the new (DLC) cases. Thanks.

Top Bottom