• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

1ejc8.jpg

2vjh4.jpg

spoilw7s6.png

While it almost goes without saying, it is worth mentioning anyway just to keep things on the safe side, and this game being a very plot driven game there is a very high chance of being spoiled by minor elements being posted throughout this thread. Especially considering the game is releasing in Europe and Australia up to FOUR days after the USA. Please, don't ruin things for those people. Even the smallest details can be spoilers so please if you're going to post something in a spoiler take care - we all know how tempting it is to highlight an unknown black box because it might be a MAJOR spoiler, or it might be hardly even a spoiler at all.

Therefore, I would like to ask everyone to be mindful of what they are posting in this thread. Most likely there will be a Spoilers thread upon the release of the game.

For this thread, the correct Spoiler Criteria is this (and this is really a general rule on GAF as per the etiquette thread but it needs proper outlining here):

This is a Spoiler about Chapter 1
Cole is a Beat Cop during this time

Not:

During
Chapter 1
Cole is a
beat cop

Please, ensure that you CLEARLY outline what is contained within the blacked out spoiler before using the spoiler tags, but ensure not to put spoilers in your outline as well heh. This is the type of thing that could cause this thread to be destroyed by arguments if this is not adhered to, so in the interest of keeping GAF as great a place as it is to be a member, please be considerate of your fellow members and LA Noire fans.

3b7sp.png

L.A. Noire is being developed by Team Bondi, and it will be published by Rockstar Games.

The game was initially announced to be a PlayStation 3 exclusive, but was later revealed that the game was to be released on Xbox 360 also.

The game is set in Los Angeles, in the during the 1940’s (specifically 1947 as far as I am aware).

Amid the post-war boom of Hollywood's Golden Age, Cole Phelps is an LAPD detective thrown headfirst into a city drowning in its own success. Corruption is rampant, the drug trade is exploding, and murder rates are at an all-time high. In his fight to climb the ranks and do what’s right, Phelps must unravel the truth behind a string of arson attacks, racketeering conspiracies and brutal murders, battling the L.A. underworld and even members of his own department to uncover a secret that could shake the city to its rotten core. Using groundbreaking new animation technology that captures every nuance of an actor's facial performance in astonishing detail, L.A. Noire is a violent crime thriller that blends breathtaking action with true detective work to deliver an unprecedented interactive experience. Search for clues, chase down suspects and interrogate witnesses as you struggle to find the truth in a city where everyone has something to hide.

4m7ru.png

Personally I hate these kinds of things, the way to give incentive for someone to shop at one particular retailer or another I think is a bad practice, day one downloadable content that is not available to everyone who buys the game is not really fair. It seems the best deal is GameStop in NA, GAME in UK and EB in AUS to get the absolute most content at launch.

50728.png

For more details about the downloadable content see the LA NOIRE website HERE

6s74p.png

7j7n9.png

Thanks to the new Motion Scan technology that has been developed by Rockstar and Team Bondi for this game, the characters of LA Noire come to life like never before. As you can see in the images below, video game facial expressions have never been seen before in such emotive detail.

888q5.jpg

For more information about many other characters in the game including other detectives and suspects visit the LA Noire website - HERE

9.16nbu.png

Trailer 1
Trailer 2
Trailer 3

"Gameplay Series: Orientation"
"Gameplay Series: Investigation and Interrogation"
"The Technology Behind Performance"

"The Naked City" Vice Case Pre-Order Video
"A Slip of the Tongue" Traffic Case Video

Official Launch Trailer NEW

9juao.png

The list of Achievements & Trophies contain spoilers so rather than list them here, click on this link if you would like to read them.

10inl9.png

Click here to take a look at the LA Times Exclusive Interactive Crime Map for LA Noire.

11cu7y.png

GIANT BOMB 5/5
The Guardian - 5/5
VideoGamer – 10/10
X Play / G4TV – 5/5
JustPushStart – 5/5
Gamepro – 5/5
Digital Spy – 5/5
X360A – 96/100
1up – A
NowGamer – 9.3/10
Game Trailers – 9.1/10
Destructoid – 9/10
GameSpot – 9/10
Gamereactor – 9/10
The Telegraph – 9/10
Metro – 9/10
Totalvideagames – 9/10
Anaitgames (Spanish) – 9/10
Gamer.nl – 9/10
Joystiq – 4.5/5
Computer & Videogames – 8.9/10
IGN – 8.5/10
Eurogamer – 8/10
Wired – 8/10

GAF Metacritic Rating of 92.4!

12cndn.png

Thanks to Kintaco for making a bunch of awesome avatars. I may still make some more, but maybe not - depends how I feel tonight, not sure if I want a night off or not, I've been doing nothing but working and creating all day and night this week so far :)

Kintaco said:
Made some avatars that I didn't end up using, so I thought I'd post them in case anyone wants one of them, I was trying to capture the facial animations, so most of them are nothing special.

mjoJd.png
jQqsx.png
Xani4.png
yV5I1.png
5YG4X.png
0Dw60.png

MYAnh.png
Y58B4.png
4BoF5.png
e2vFx.png
xjpV2.png
KTKdV.png

cgebg.png
nXsyy.png
oHkKQ.png
A5seD.png
pBqMV.png
ZXmZh.png

13lu1m.png

Latest Updates

- Added latest trailer "Official Launch Trailer" 12 May 2011 2:38 AM
- Added Avatars made by Kintaco to OP 12 May 2011 4:59 PM
- Added more screenshots to the OP, total of 112 now (which is all Rockstar have released officially 12 May 2011 11:35 PM
- Added reviews from best score to worst 17 May 2011 8:05 AM

14nn6z.png

Q Will there be Multiplayer in L.A. Noire?
A There will be no multiplayer component of L.A. Noire – the combination of innovative technology and unique gameplay that allow you to solve crimes through interrogations and investigation is really one that’s geared entirely for a single-player experience.

Q Will there be an L.A. Noire demo?
A There will not be a playable demo of L.A. Noire. Instead of allocating the necessary development time to create a playable demo, Rockstar and Team Bondi have remained focused on making the final product the best it could possibly be.

Q Will the L.A. Noire Pre-Order DLC be available for purchase through Xbox Live PlayStation Network?
A All of the L.A. Noire pre-order content will be made available for purchase as DLC at some point after the game comes out.

Q Will there be a Special/Limited/Collector's Edition of the game including all the pre-order content?
A No, you will have to download the extra DLC content yourself at a later date if you want it.

Q How many discs are there for L.A. Noire? How will the disc-swapping work? Will it interrupt my game whenever I am driving back and forth between locations?
A L.A. Noire ships on three discs for 360 and one disc for PS3. Note that the discs only need to be changed at particular points in the story, so you will not have to swap frequently or when re-visiting areas you went to on previous discs.

Q If I install all three discs to my HDD on 360 can I avoid having to swap discs?
A On 360, you may install the game to the hard drive but the discs will still need to be swapped at set points during the game.

Q Is it true that the PS3 version has an exclusive case?
A Yes, the Traffic desk case The Consul's Car is exclusive to the PlayStation 3 version of L.A. Noire.

Q What is the Chicago Lightning outfit? How do I unlock it?
A The Chicago Lightning Suit is an exclusive bonus for members of Rockstar's Social Club and can be unlocked by signing in to your account from the game's main menu. This outfit can be worn at any point in the game after you've become a detective (following the Patrol desk cases) and will improve your accuracy when using a shotgun or machine gun.

Q How big is the map in L.A. Noire? Does it cover all of Los Angeles?
A L.A. Noire's map is about 8 square miles in size, stretching from just east of the L.A. River to West Hollywood and will feature an incredibly accurate reproduction of the downtown area of Los Angeles as it was in 1947. Below is the best image we have so far of the game's map.

mapb8ma.jpg

Q Is there free roam in the game?
A Yes! You can travel freely around the game world, tracking down hidden items and tackling unassigned street crime cases around the city which include things like chasing down a purse snatcher, thwarting a robbery in progress, talking a suicide jumper off a ledge and lots more.

Q Can I shoot people/run people over/cause mayhem like in GTA?
A Free-form anarchy is not something a good detective is rewarded for - running over a pedestrian while on a case or causing public damage or harm will lower your end-of-case rating. And, a detective who pulled out his weapon any time other than in the line of duty would not be on the force for long.

Q Is it possible to swim in the game?
A No, Phelps cannot swim. L.A. Noire is designed to put you in the shoes of a detective on the job, solving cases and bringing criminals to justice – swimming isn’t a big part of a day’s work on the force.

Q Once I've completed a case, does the next one start straight away?
A Yes, once a case is closed and you have been graded on your performance, you'll be assigned a new case, which will begin immediately. Keep in mind, though, that during the game you are also free to drive, walk or run anywhere in the world at all times.

Q How long is L.A. Noire? How many hours will it take to complete the game?
A L.A. Noire's storyline takes about 25-30 hours to complete, but this will vary depending on your play style and how well you do during investigations. In addition to the game's main story there are also optional unassigned cases to take on as well landmarks and hidden items to discover and more.

Q How does the health system work in L.A. Noire? Is there a health bar on the HUD?
A L.A. Noire uses a regenerative health system similar to Red Dead Redemption's rather than an on-screen health bar. The screen slowly covers in shades of gray as Phelps takes damage.

Q How does the murder of Elizabeth Short / The Black Dahlia tie in with L.A. Noire?
A This question is best answered by Brendan McNamara, writer and director of L.A. Noire.

Brendan McNamara said:
One of the reasons we chose the year 1947 was because the Black Dahlia case happened in January that year. Having said that, the Black Dahlia murder, like Jack the Ripper, is an unsolved case and will never be solved conclusively.

As incredibly tragic as that case was, it provides more of a backdrop and sets the tone for that year instead of being a case that Phelps gets involved in directly. Phelps begins the game as a beat cop in the LAPD in January so his chances of being involved in such a high profile case would have been minimal.

The Black Dahlia case will definitely have a bearing on the cases Phelps must solve during his stint on Homicide. We can’t get into too much detail about its effect on the overall narrative, but Phelps and everyone else at the LAPD will certainly feel the pressure to put an end to a string of gruesome murders all of which are based on real murders that happened that year.

end874i.png

Special Thanks to Net_Wrecker for the thread name. It's a rockin title name :)

I hope you enjoyed my first OT... I got a bit lazy towards the end (hence no Avatars yet) but they will come. They will come.

Lakitu

st5fu
This game will be mine. Shame us Europeans get it 3 days later. Still, new Fallout DLC should keep me busy until then.

I can't wait. I need to complete Dragon Age II before then though... :/ Since I'll be spending a lot of time on this.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, can't believe it's actually going to be released. For me, L.A. Noire seemed like vaporware for quite some time. I've pretty much seen zero gameplay of it, here's hoping it's nowhere near as buggy as RDR.

Downhome

I can't delete it, but I deleted what I posted to help a little for the time being. Here is what it was originally...

Oh man, I can't wait!

And way to go gohastings! I just got this email from them...

Dear goHastings Customer,

As the street date for the videogame, L.A. Noire approaches this month, goHastings.com would like to reassure you that we will continue to honor your order for the price for $29.99 (plus tax & shipping.)

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Hastings Customer Service

You quickdraws ruined the OT, goddamn it.

As much as I've been down about this games preorder shenanigans, I'm still interested in playing it. Not day one, but day eventually.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Crewnh said:
You quickdraws ruined the OT, goddamn it.

As much as I've been down about this games preorder shenanigans, I'm still interested in playing it. Not day one, but day eventually.

Yeah, with dumb shit like, "Day 1!!1111!!"

Nice OP. I'm done with Rockstar's games though... I put a total of 1 hour total into GTA4 and Red Dead :\

The 60 second limit between posts was killing me after the second post went out.

Even by the time i clicked "Post Reply" which was about 1 second after I clicked 'Submit' for the first post, the first post was there!

It makes the background of the images look funky cause they're not in the right position... bummer.

Will change them if needed.

ShaneB

Really want to play this game, but just can't afford a full price title these days.

Mainly just want to play it because I've been incredibly impressed with the facial tech, and lip syncing is something I wish every game could get perfect since it's such a major factor in immersion.

StuBurns

Banned
awilliams213 said:
Great job on the OT I had no idea the DLC cases were so numerous across various retailers.
Only two of them are cases though. Including the PS3 thing there are three DLC cases, I'm buying from Game on PS3 so I just need to buy Tongue. Not too bad.

Krakatoa

Come on guys...we all know to wait until the thread has been completed.....

Anyway, Great OT. Can't wait for the game.

In a funny way I’m kinda glad that Brink turned out to be crap for me, now I can focus all my attention on this sure to be A+ game.

Not sure if I want the 360 version or the PS3 version yet. I suppose I’ll have to wait for the comparisons......nice OT by the way! : )

Chairhome

Nice job. I was going to wait for a price drop, but I've just received some Reward Zone Certs, so I'll probably pick this up. Probably PS3, but hopefully we get some good comparisons before release. Is there an embargo on reviews?

Abylim

Damn, may need to pick this up. I'm abit over the GTA style, but I love the open world feel. Hopefully this scratches my itch! Good job on the OT.

i hope PSN comes up before this comes out. i'm still waiting to pre-order a version where i can get my DLC day one. will get on 360 if PSN is down. will get on PS3 if it's up.

Damn, I just remembered I still have an un-opened copy of RDR Undead Nightmare sitting on my shelf. I dunno if I'm ever going to get around to it now...

Hoping a mod can delete my post sorry for jumping the gun. Any indication that this game will be on shelves May 17th or is it shipping on Tuesday and arriving in stores Wednesday like most game releases?

2San

I still find it odd how crappy the marketing off this game. Unless you browse gamings sites with regularity you have no way of knowing of it's existence.

I first found this out when went paint balling with some friends(most of them casual gamers) I haven't seen in a while. While driving in the car we where talking about games. One guy mentions what are those Rockstar guys doing anyhow? So I say L.A.Noire and what's it about. None of them have heard about it. 5 of them pre-ordered the game a few days later. I've been asking my other friends if they are aware of it's existence. No one knew. A good chunk of these people where aware of Red Dead before release which wasn't even a Rockstar North game.

I'm from the Netherlands if that explains the situation somewhat. I can see this game doing a lot worse than expected.

keyrat

I really want this, but at the same time I want to wait to see actual gameplay.

I also want to know how fun the game can be when you just mess around. If that aspect is gimped in an effort to make it more serious I may be disappointed.

Chairhome

Gacha-pin said:
Great OP :D

It seems the ps3 exclusive content is North America only.
I guess that means that the case is not on the disc and we'll have to wait for PSN to get back up before we can play it...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I pretty much had no interest before. After I read through the OP, the following happened:

Thank you for your order with zavvi. Details of your order are listed below:
L.A. Noire (Pre-Order Exclusive) - PS3 £36.85

Happy now, ColonialRaptor?! :D

Grisby

Aw yeah. I've always wanted to be a detective in that time period. Like a childhood dream come true.

xORT3.jpg

Started watching Mad Men in anticipation (also, I've wanted to watch it for a long time) and its just getting me super excited. Does anyone have any obscure or favorite noire films or stuff set near that time period that they recommend? I remember Gaf suggesting westerns around the time of Red Dead's release.

Top Bottom