• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

StuBurns

Banned
Chairhome said:
I guess that means that the case is not on the disc and we'll have to wait for PSN to get back up before we can play it...
Was the exclusive PS3 thing in RDR on the disc?

RavenFox

Banned
keyrat said:
I really want this, but at the same time I want to wait to see actual gameplay.

I also want to know how fun the game can be when you just mess around. If that aspect is gimped in an effort to make it more serious I may be disappointed.

Serious? There are vids showcasing that you know.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pre-ordered on the 360...but since it started out as a PS3 exclusive, I wonder if that version might end up better. I guess I'll wait on impressions to decide which console I'll get it on.

keyrat

RavenFox said:
Serious? There are vids showcasing that you know.

Not really; it's all in cinematic trailers. I mean like 5-10min of uninterrupted gameplay. The closest thing was a leaked camera phone video of someone actually playing.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Great work with the OT.
You should ask a mod to rearrange the posts.

StuBurns

Banned
keyrat said:
Not really; it's all in cinematic trailers. I mean like 5-10min of uninterrupted gameplay. The closest thing was a leaked camera phone video of someone actually playing.
There's bound to be a GiantBomb QuickLook.

Gacha-pin

StuBurns said:
Was the exclusive PS3 thing in RDR on the disc?

Yes, it was.
If I remember correctly, Mafia 2's exclusive stuff was downloadable one and it was only for NA with exactly the same phrase "Exclusive content only on PlayStation" on the box.

Anyone has details on the differences b/w the two versions, besides the 3 discs? It'll be interesting to see how this games turns out considering the lead platform here is the PS3.

keyrat

StuBurns said:
There's bound to be a GiantBomb QuickLook.

Yea I just want to know how fun it is to run wild. What happens if you start shooting up everyone you see? Maybe they have a bandana or something ala RDR where you can disguise yourself.

I also hope there's good cheats. Rioting peds, dodo cheat, etc., though I won't hold my breath for this.

StuBurns

Banned
Gacha-pin said:
Yes, it was.
If I remember correctly, Mafia 2's exclusive stuff was downloadable one and it was only for NA with exactly the same phrase "Exclusive content only on PlayStation" on the box.
Do you know if that Mafia exclusive mission made it on to PSN store outside of the States?

Chesskid1

Banned
prolly gonna play witcher 2 first cause i'm a graphics whore then LA noire. one of the best days in gaming in quite a bit.

have to admit the setting/being a detective doesn't interest me that much, but then again i hate westerns/cowboys and loved the hell out of RDR. w00t.

DoctorWho said:
I didn't see a source cited. When was it confirmed and by whom?

It's on Rockstars website, there is a huge amount of news posted on there for this game... It would have taken me way longer than it already did to post a source for the answer to every single answer to the every question in the opening posts, but I'll do it if you really want!

Edit - Just not today :p

Falt

Can't wait! Great OT!

Also curious about the details for the 360's 3 discs.

Side note: To get in the mood... Detective Movie recommendations? L.A. Confidential, Chinatown, Zodiac. Any other great detective movies in or around the era?

Angry Fork

Grisby said:
Aw yeah. I've always wanted to be a detective in that time period. Like a childhood dream come true.

xORT3.jpg

Started watching Mad Men in anticipation (also, I've wanted to watch it for a long time) and its just getting me super excited. Does anyone have any obscure or favorite noire films or stuff set near that time period that they recommend? I remember Gaf suggesting westerns around the time of Red Dead's release.
LA Confidential (this one seems most similar to LA Noire imo)
Double Indemnity
The Big Sleep

Few other great neo-noir/detective stuff but not set in the same time period/setting:
Memories of Murder
Memento (this one is the farthest from noir but still has some elements and is great anyway)
Chinatown

But you asked for obscure ones so maybe you're a film guy and have already seen some/all of these.

Grisby

Cool beans, I've never seen Double Indemnity or The Big Sleep. LA Confidential is great, saw it a long time ago and then watched it again this weekend.

Edit- Thanks Angry Fork for some more recommends. I'm not the biggest film buff but I've seen my fare share. Still, theres always some film you've never seen or heard of so thats why I added obscure.

Dabanton

zomaha said:
This is one game that would be absolutely ruined by spoilers...I'm isolating myself after day 1.

Agree. That's why i feel sorry for people waiting for it to be cheap, they will have lots spoiled well before that time.

Xater

bdizzle said:
Even though I'd like to get this game, I'm afraid it'll play like GTA, RDR, etc. Hopefully there's a demo or something to play.

Maybe you should have read the OP...

BTW good job on the OP ColonialRaptor. I have this game pre-order for a while and I really hope it will satisfy my expectations. Rockstar does have some quality standards so I am not too worried though.

Grisby said:
Started watching Mad Men in anticipation (also, I've wanted to watch it for a long time) and its just getting me super excited.

Mad Men is set in the 60s; you probably would get a better feel for this by watching the recent film adaptations of James Ellroy's novels. Early previews of this game indicated that it was set in Ellroy's universe, though I'm not sure how faithful the content remained after the transition to Rockstar.

Azar

Must-watch film noir:

The Maltese Falcon
The Big Sleep
Double Indemnity
Touch of Evil
Laura

Neo-noir:
Chinatown
L.A. Confidential

duckroll

Good job, and I'm looking forward to the game a lot. Pro-tip though, next time you want to make a multi-post OT, might want to PM a mod for assistance when you're doing it to avoid having posts stuck in-between. :)

Not that I encourage multi-post OTs anyway, because I hate them in general. At least this one is only 3 posts and not 20! *cough*

Thanks for all the kind words ppls. I wasn't sure I was going to get it done today, and as you can see, there is far less pictures in the third post than the other two because I was getting tired and lazy.

I will ad much more into them tomorrow, but it was either not post the thread tonight, and work for another 6 hours tomorrow night, or post tonight, and add some not so important to post at the start stuff at a later date.

I think it turned out pretty well, sorry to the dudes who's monitors can't support 1300 res though. What res monitor do you run? I thought like the minimum these days was at least 1440x900 or something right?

duckroll said:
Good job, and I'm looking forward to the game a lot. Pro-tip though, next time you want to make a multi-post OT, might want to PM a mod for assistance when you're doing it to avoid having posts stuck in-between. :)

Ahhh... that's a good bit of advice - are you able to fix it this time?

Edit 2 - aaaaannnnddd you've already done it, so I should have checked before I asked... thanks a bundle!!! Looks far better now :) I'm happy with it! Will go back to JPGs now to save loading time.

Hixx

Amazing how many people couldn't wait to just post in this topic, ha.

When's the review embargo?

Gacha-pin said:
Great OP :D

It seems the ps3 exclusive content is North America only.

What? 360 gets the 'exclusive' case in Europe?? Cos that would make my decision a *lot* easier.

Oh and by the way, Colonial Raptor: in the UK, Gamestation pre-orders also get The Naked City DLC.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
For some reason this reminds me of Police Quest a little.

And I mean that as a compliment. Hope there is a poker mini-game.

duckroll

ColonialRaptor said:
I think it turned out pretty well, sorry to the dudes who's monitors can't support 1300 res though. What res monitor do you run? I thought like the minimum these days was at least 1440x900 or something right?

I'm on 1366x768 on this laptop right now, since you're asking. :p

Keep in mind that many people also use NeoGAF on wireless devices and phones.

duckroll said:

That is a 13" Macbook right?

Okay. In future, width will be restricted to 1000.

I used other OT's for reference and as I said I based the width from the Mortal Kombat OT. Live and learn :)

Again... Thanks for fixing it up for me :)

AstroLad said:
For some reason this reminds me of Police Quest a little.

And I mean that as a compliment. Hope there is a poker mini-game.

I am certainly feeling this way as well, very excited to have a proper police investigation game, I don't think it's been done yet. I got a really big 'investigation' vibe out of the heavy rain demo, but it didn't end up delivering in the way I wanted... this will hopefully do it for me all the way through.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Great OT! I admit that my hype meter for games doesn't get as high as it used to, but I'm looking forward to this one. I love the premise and I'm hoping for a lot of excellent plot twists. Hopefully episodic content is reasonably priced, because it seems like the kind of game that could live a long time with new cases to solve.

duckroll

ColonialRaptor said:
That is a 13" Macbook right?

Okay. In future, width will be restricted to 1000.

I used other OT's for reference and as I said I based the width from the Mortal Kombat OT. Live and learn :)

Nah it's a Toshiba Satellite. I'm not one of those Mac people. :)

2San said:
I still find it odd how crappy the marketing off this game. Unless you browse gamings sites with regularity you have no way of knowing of it's existence.

Are you serious? There are (gorgeous and amazing) posters all over New York City, a pretty prominent metropolitan area. (That one with the steering wheel? Looks like a Sean Phillips Criminal cover? AMAZING marketing.)

ReBurn

Gold Member
duckroll said:

Yes, high-res images absolutely destroy page formatting in Safari on iPad. It always renders the page to make the images fit, but it's easy enough to zoom it back out manually.

Good thing there are better browsers available for iPad.

I'm cautiously excited for this one. I want to buy the game on launch day but it's getting harder and harder to justify considering how quickly game prices have been dropping after launch lately.

Top Bottom