• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Preordered the PS3 version today. Got the postcards and the poster (already put up).

Hopefully I will be able to run it on custom firmware soon after launch...

styl3s

schennmu said:
Preordered the PS3 version today. Got the postcards and the poster (already put up).

Hopefully I will be able to run it on custom firmware soon after launch...
who gives the postcards/poster?

Jipan said:
The OT's pretty well done by the way so props to the OP.

I'm also hoping to do the Deus Ex one, but we'll see in a little while. I'd like to start as early as possible so I can do better than this because I rushed this out in two days. If I could spend a couple of months it would have been much better.

Evlar

Banned
Dries said:
What (noir) movies (except LA Confidential ofc) do you guys recommend if you wanna hype yourself up?
Chinatown (already mentioned)
Maltese Falcon (already mentioned)
Double Indemnity
Mildred Pierce
The Big Sleep
Dark Passage

... Probably a dozen others I'm missing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
wow like 2 minutes ago i found a JTV live stream. Was about to post it but then it got ninja'd. Damn they are fast. Reminds me of RDR stream times before release.

LProtag

I guess The Third Man is considered film noir, I think it's just a little different than what you would expect from a noir film.

Needless to say, I've got the zither theme stuck in my head.

Dries said:
Yeah just found this :)

So could LA Confidential also be considered a film noir? I don't see it in the Rockstar recommends list. Or did they only focus on older films for their list?

I'm guessing there is going to be a part two that focuses on the noir films after a certain year, like 1970 maybe? L.A. Confidential is a pretty important movie of the '90s.

And L.A. Confidential is more neo-noir, I suppose. I never studied film extensively, but I've never really viewed the movie as a deconstruction of the genre or anything.

styl3s said:
who gives the postcards/poster?

It's the equivalent of the Wal-Mart deal here in Germany (Saturn). You buy a box for 5€ which includes the postcards and the poster. On release day you get the rest of the stuff and the 5€ deducted from the final price.

Sethos

Banned
ragem.jpg

So the game IS using RAGE?

ferr

I hate trying to pick up games day one, from my experience if they don't have a midnight launch you'll be lucky to get it before Wednesday. And ordering online has always been random, tend to get things Wednesday afternoon with overnight shipping.

Can you get the extra mission by pre-ordering at gamestop or is that online only?

graywolf323

ColonialRaptor said:
I'm also hoping to do the Deus Ex one, but we'll see in a little while. I'd like to start as early as possible so I can do better than this because I rushed this out in two days. If I could spend a couple of months it would have been much better.

after Infamous 2, the next Deus Ex is probably my most anticipated game this summer

Evlar said:
Chinatown (already mentioned)
Maltese Falcon (already mentioned)
Double Indemnity
Mildred Pierce
The Big Sleep
Dark Passage

... Probably a dozen others I'm missing.

It could sound strange but Who Framed Roger Rabbit is an excellent noir detective movie.
But thats a movie most people probably have seen.

Beaulieu

Dries said:
Yeah just found this :)

So could LA Confidential also be considered a film noir? I don't see it in the Rockstar recommends list. Or did they only focus on older films for their list?

I heard LA Confidential is neo-noir
whatever that means.

burgerdog said:
Dammit, if it is using Rage I might have to switch my pre-order to 360.

Even if it's actually Rage and not just certain animations from the engine, it's still Rage on PS3 as lead console. Just chill, man.

CaLe

burgerdog said:
Dammit, if it is using Rage I might have to switch my pre-order to 360.

Just wondering, what's so important about Rage ... ? And why would the 360 benefit from it compared to the PS3 ?

I'm not familiar with the engine.

Thanks

burgerdog

Net_Wrecker said:
Even if it's actually Rage and not just certain animations from the engine, it's still Rage on PS3 as lead console. Just chill, man.

I think I'll just have to avoid the thread until Tuesday and keep my ps3 order.

CaLe said:
Just wondering, what's so important about Rage ... ? And why would the 360 benefit from it compared to the PS3 ?

Thanks

Sub-HD on ps3, look at RDR comparisons.

Shurs

CaLe said:

Thanks

Previous games that used the RAGE engine performed better and had a higher resolution on 360.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think it's just R*/Rage tech groupe programmers helping Team Bondi on the game, Same as when you read Team ACE programmers names on non Naughty Dog games it don't mean these games using Uncharted engine, same think here I guess.

and iirc Team Bondi said many time the game using their own engine and not Rage.

zychi

Banned
Just an fyi for people not wanting to get spoiled on the story, the game is out there and some stores have broken street date(not near me) and there are assholes posting spoilers on various game sites now.

Biggzy

Peff said:
That interrogation is great. Some more gameplay.

2zftyps.gif

So good.

Wow i thought i was impressed with Uncharted facial animation but the facial animation in this game is in a completely different league altogether. It definitely has set a new bar for other games to reach.

Also i would like to add that everything i have heard so far from the game points to some top notch voice acting as well, kudos to Team Bondi.

Dibbz said:
Yeah but there is no body roll or anything. The car just swings left and right like a toy.

Yeah I guess that would be what you meant, and not that the cars just steered side-to-side by themselves ... lmao I'm dumb.

Having played Mafia II recently, handling looks similar to that from what I saw, which would be fine with me.

Top Bottom