• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

oh yeah. Auto balance is just retarded old-school auto balance. They don't do anything but randomly take someone from the other team and put them on the lesser populated team. I know because I've sucked and been dead last on my team, and gotten switched, and then also the best or at least top half player gets switched.

nataku

firex said:
oh yeah. Auto balance is just retarded old-school auto balance. They don't do anything but randomly take someone from the other team and put them on the lesser populated team. I know because I've sucked and been dead last on my team, and gotten switched, and then also the best or at least top half player gets switched.

Yeah, I saw that earlier today. A scout on red was completely owning everyone (good scouts are scary as hell... so damn hard to hit). He had the top score out of everyone, both red and blue, by far and auto balance kicked in and moved him over to blue.

I'm pleased by the map design so far. Maps feel very good. You can tell the game is made by an experienced team when it's of this quality with no real public beta testing--as one would expect with Valve. The game as a whole is just so polished.

Jenga

Banned
KyanMehwulfe said:
I'm pleased by the map design so far. Maps feel very good. You can tell the game is made by an experienced team when it's of this quality with no real public beta testing--as one would expect with Valve. The game as a whole is just so polished.
Except for Gravelpit. God being Blu on that map SUCKS. Red soldiers and demomen can jump right into your spawn and just lay an assload of traps. Played one game where almost the entire Red team was demomen. Dear God that was horrible.

Dave Long

Banned
Deaths don't matter if you're doing your job in the game. Capping points and defending them is what you should be working towards all the time.

theultimo

pxleyes said:
It is what makes this game so much more fun. You aren't constantly tabbing to see if your ratio is ok.
Yeah, its much better then CS:S for that.

People aren't camping just to min/max there K : D

Javaman

I had a wild time earlier today. For some reason almost 1/2 the team chose to be engineers. They had those suckers all over the main entrance and the ramp room. It sucked not having any offensive, but wow, what a mess for the other team.

6gapvmr.jpg

4ldzo74.jpg

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Javaman said:
I had a wild time earlier today. For some reason almost 1/2 the team chose to be engineers. They had those suckers all over the main entrance and the ramp room. It sucked not having any offensive, but wow, what a mess for the other team.

http://i16.tinypic.com/6gapvmr.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/4ldzo74.jpg
You think that's bad:

dustbowl0019.jpg

dustbowl0018.jpg

dustbowl0016.jpg

dustbowl0013.jpg

Then we had 30 hws which crashed the server. :lol

OK, I'll stop whoring tfc pics here now. Just has to show those from earlier today.

saelz8

Formless said:
Isn't there a class restriction system (A certain amount of people allowed in each class)? It works quite well in DOD Source.
Not at this point, but it'll inevitabely be a server side option a little later on.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Formless said:
Isn't there a class restriction system (A certain amount of people allowed in each class)? It works quite well in DOD Source.
There's probably a default setting that can be changed by the admin.

EDIT: Yeah, what quellex said.

Daigoro

its up, but no ones playing on it and its all choppy.

dunno if it was switched over to the linux server yet or what.

edit: im on for 20 min and i get 1 person. now 8 people are on. :p

is everyone getting the performance issues on the gaf server?

MrNibbles

Banned
Where is the server being hosted?

I have hosting I'm not using for crap, don't know if it'd allow a game server or not, I'd have to check.

Server Update: IcyDeath is relocating the US server to a different data center as he thinks that's the cause of the problem. He says it's using the same config file as the EU one and that one's running fine.

I'm having lots of fun as a Medic now. I'm trying to rotate between the Heavy and Demo more, too. Catch them up to my Sniper and have them surpass his stats; sniping is so precise so I was too tempted for my first two days to get lots of easy kills while learning the maps, so its way ahead yet.

Friendly Fire getting turned on sure spices things up.

8-bit

Banned
Who else thinks that the censored (german) version is actually "funnier" ?
Splatter might be good, but flyin' rubberduckies and hamburgers add really well to the overall look of tf2, me thinks ...
Only real problem is the lack of blood and that for the lack of some indication of hits.

Besides that, the muffled sound of pyros voice makes me laugh every time :D

jaask

Falch said:
1) Take screenshots during game with F5
2) Find your screenshots, should be in Valve/Steam/SteamApps/*Username*/Team Fortress 2/tf/screenshots
3) Find a TGA - JPG converter
You can also save the screenshots directly to jpeg

-open console
-type: bind f5 "jpeg"

Now the pics will be saved as .jpg instead of .tga

was fun the past few days on the EU server. :)

Cibi you are pretty handy as a demoman but i think i scared everyone when i switched to sniper as 3 changed to spy to get me hah.

i am loving pyro. there really is no need to change it just a bit of skill is required and the ability to be in the right situation. if you are chasing someone switch to a shotgun and kill em off! light them up and get out of the way! theres no need to kill em straight off! the amount of assist kills i got was insane.

Rlan

I'm loving this game so far, I've had a blast as Engineers and Medics. Me and another fella went ballistic as a Soldier / Medic combo :D

I love the Engineer but usually I default to it because nobody else realised you need a god damn turret in the intelligence room :|

I've had some real shit games where the other team goes all Scout and it's a real downer because capturing takes such a short amount of time, and then you're fucked. And Engineers keep back in their own Barn so they're not even attempting to move forward at all. Stupid stupid stupid.

Anyhow, I've made some Avatars to help Gaf spread the word:

tf218.png
tf217.png
tf216.png
tf215-1.png
tf214.png
tf213.png
tf212.png
tf211.png
tf210.png
tf28.png
tf27.png
tf26.png
tf25.png
tf24.png
tf23.png
tf22.png
tf21.png

That Demoman one looks similar though...

bishoptl1.png

Rlan said:
I love the Engineer but usually I default to it because nobody else realised you need a god damn turret in the intelligence room :|

oh my god. i hate this. the amount of times i have tried to talk to engineers to get them to put a turret in the intel room.....

there was one which really annoyed me when both engineers put it on the spiral ramp and the scout just kept going the other way avoiding both turrets... man i must have asked them to move it like 10 times and they just dont listen!!!

my other pet peeve is the hydro defend on the last point. there is no point in attacking as the entire point is to defend your last point for 5 mins. so what does everyone do? thats right march off to attack a point we cant take. oh whats that the enemy marched round the back and its me left to defend the point.... right.... thanks guys.....

Blue Geezer said:
oh my god. i hate this. the amount of times i have tried to talk to engineers to get them to put a turret in the intel room.....

there was one which really annoyed me when both engineers put it on the spiral ramp and the scout just kept going the other way avoiding both turrets... man i must have asked them to move it like 10 times and they just dont listen!!!

my other pet peeve is the hydro defend on the last point. there is no point in attacking as the entire point is to defend your last point for 5 mins. so what does everyone do? thats right march off to attack a point we cant take. oh whats that the enemy marched round the back and its me left to defend the point.... right.... thanks guys.....

don't forget about the attacking teams with 5 engs in the back building turrets, and the rest attacking an uncappable point...

Dave Long

Banned
The most frustrating thing about Engineers is the lack of intelligence they show in setting up Sentries. Since an engineer is near useless in a gunfight, if they can't put the Sentries at the right spot they're just mouth breathing fools taking up a spot that could be better served with a different class.

The game is awesome though. Even stupid play can't drag it down. I had a blast with GAF on Saturday and Sunday nights. Quellex is deadly with that sniper rifle. He's the one guy that I would consistently try to take out first if I saw him. Of course that means I padded his kill count, too. :)

Doytch

8-bit said:
Who else thinks that the censored (german) version is actually "funnier" ?
Splatter might be good, but flyin' rubberduckies and hamburgers add really well to the overall look of tf2, me thinks ...
Only real problem is the lack of blood and that for the lack of some indication of hits.

Besides that, the muffled sound of pyros voice makes me laugh every time :D

Holy shit, do you have pics?

Good playing with GAFers last night, too bad it was pretty jittery for me. But since Icy moved the servers hopefully it will be smooth tonight :)

The one map (Gravelpit?) with sections A,B,C is so confusing to me >_< I need to work on communicating with my team because I always went to the wrong section and BAM get killed instantly. By the time I met up with my team they had 4 medics since they got tired of waiting for me lol.

See ya guys online tonight!

Evlar

Banned
Bit the bullet and downloaded this last night, but didn't get a chance to get it running. I have a 7600GT: is it necessary to download beta drivers or will the most recent full drivers work OK?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
omgimaninja said:
The one map (Gravelpit?) with sections A,B,C is so confusing to me >_< I need to work on communicating with my team because I always went to the wrong section and BAM get killed instantly. By the time I met up with my team they had 4 medics since they got tired of waiting for me lol.
I had an unbelievably good streak last night on gravelpit. I think all the fighting was happening on A, but I wandered over to B when I joined in. And just as time was winding down, some of Blue started to stream into B and I had to defend the one point by myself. I pretty much held them back but thank god for the soldier who joined in. It was a "Crap, how long can I keep this up?" kinda situation.

Dave Long

Banned
The Sphinx said:
Bit the bullet and downloaded this last night, but didn't get a chance to get it running. I have a 7600GT: is it necessary to download beta drivers or will the most recent full drivers work OK?
I'm using the WHQL certified ones from NVIDIA and those are working fine except for the alt-tab problems, but those seem to be widespread and not necessarily driver related.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Bought the pack yesterday and I'm beating myself senseless for not doing so earlier, this game is ten times more awesome than I could have possibly imagined. Would have been worth full-price alone.

And I'm snagging
tf23.png

Icy

Banned
Hello All! :)

Here are the 2 Official NeoGAF TF2 Servers. One for the US and one for the EU peeps. These are both new IP addresses. I'll explain at the bottom of this post.

The original US server put up was on the Windows server code. Performance sucked. I had them move us to a Linux server once it was available. People were noticing "jitter" issues. I kept playing with the config and moving it from multiple boxes. Same issue. From talking to other Source Ded. Server hosters, we determined it must be the data center. So I moved it from the NYC/NJ Data center to one in Saint Louis, MO. Played with the config some and no "jitter" issues that i have seem. People on the west coast get better pings now.

I got a EU server put up in London, then i found out it was the windows server. I had them switch it to Linux and setup both boxes with the exact same config. Both running solid and smooth. If there's any issues or questions, or suggestions.. don't hesitate to msg me on steam or on neogaf =)

PeteJ

fallengorn said:
I had an unbelievably good streak last night on gravelpit. I think all the fighting was happening on A, but I wandered over to B when I joined in. And just as time was winding down, some of Blue started to stream into B and I had to defend the one point by myself. I pretty much held them back but thank god for the soldier who joined in. It was a "Crap, how long can I keep this up?" kinda situation.
Gravelpit is turning into my favourite map to be honest, I like how to begin with points A and B are available so the defending team has to split their resources. Then suddenly it all clashes when both teams scramble at point C. It's a really well designed capture point too, open from all sides but really high - great for soldiers rocket jumping!

I'm getting a little bit frustrated with 2Fort though, I prefer this design over the TFC one but it doesn't suit the class rebalances so well. I'm really struggling with it, partly because the defence sits so far forward in the base which means you often tangle with the opposing offensive players along the bridge and doorways. Also, of course, with 24 players the map is easier to lockdown than before.

I seem to be getting worse the more I play :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom