• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theultimo

Zanboo said:
I'm missing the engineer one and Head of the Class... is HotC play a class for a full round, or full map?
Full round.

The Eng one is easy to get on 2fort, just set a sentry in the right place :D

Daigoro

Aegus said:
I just need the friends one till I've completed the set.

yeah the friends one would be kind of a pain. im just going to have to add everyone who plays on the gaf server to get it i guess.

Icy

Banned
I just rebooted the servers with a new config. Cibo was having major "jitter" issues and most have been resolved. :)

I'll be adding Lazytown when I get home tonight.

1-D_FTW

I don't really care about achievements and there's some I'll probably never earn (Looking at sniper), but did Valve remove healing high scores for Engineer?

I've yet to play as a medic (since they're always in games I play), so my high healing score came from Engineer.

I just set my record of 3300 (had the game congratulate me) and when I went to view my records: My best record for healing was reset back to 0 and the healing subcategory from Engineer was removed. WTF at removing stats. It's mildly interesting to view those things.

Davidion

Now those who don't care to buy the game from steam can pre-order from gamestop! :D :D :D

VALVE AND GAMESTOP ANNOUNCE PRE-PURCHASE PROGRAM FOR THE ORANGE BOX

Pre-Purchase The Orange Box for Special Price and Join the Team Fortress 2 Beta Now

September 24, 2007 - Valve and GameStop today announced that those who pre-purchase the PC edition of The Orange Box at GameStop, the world's largest video game and entertainment software retailer, before October 10th will save 10% off the regular price and gain access to the beta version of Team Fortress 2 for the PC.

The Orange Box, penned by IGN as ".the package which could legitimately be called the deal of the century," features three highly-awaited new games by Valve: Half-Life® 2: Episode Two, the second installment in the Half-Life 2 episodic trilogy; Team Fortress® 2, the sequel to the game that put class-based, multiplayer team warfare on the map; and Portal, the game that blends puzzles, first person action, and adventure gaming to produce an experience like no other.

To bring gamers up to date with the Half-Life 2 universe, The Orange Box also includes Half-Life 2, the best-selling and highest-rated action game series of all time, and the episodic debut Half-Life® 2: Episode One-together, more than 30 hours of award-winning gameplay. Customers who already own these titles will have the ability to conveniently "gift" them to a friend upon official release of The Orange Box.

Starting immediately, those who pre-purchase The Orange Box for PC at any GameStop retail store in the US will receive a key-code and instructions to download and activate the beta release of Team Fortress 2 from Steam. The beta will conclude with the release of The Orange Box on October 10th. This year's most anticipated online action game, Team Fortress 2 delivers new game types, a signature art style powered by Valve's next generation animation technology, persistent player statistics, and more.

The Orange Box will have a suggested retail price of $49.95 on the PC and $59.95 on the Xbox® 360 and Playstation® 3 console systems. The 10% pre-purchase discount also applies to all three versions at GameStop and participating retail outlets.

For more information about The Orange Box, please visit www.steamgames.com.

Hitokage said:
It's all on Steam anyway.
There's a dude I work with that wants to play the TF2 beta very badly but he also wants a physical box even more, for whatever reason. I have the duty to inform him of this tomorrow.

Icy

Banned
Physical box for what? That's something I can't figure about it. There's no real software in the box nor can you resell the product as it is tied to your steam account.

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
Physical box for what? That's something I can't figure about it. There's no real software in the box nor can you resell the product as it is tied to your steam account.

You can install from the disc instead of downloading the main files.

But if you're gonna play TF2, you need broadband anyway.

And if you're gonna get in on the Beta you get from that pre-order, you're still gonna download TF2 from Steam.

So yeah, I can't support this notion at all. You're getting nothing of any value in that box. And if EA is getting a cent of that money for being the publisher, that's a hundred reasons right there to purchase directly from Steam.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1-D_FTW said:
You can install from the disc instead of downloading the main files.
...which you'll end up overwriting with all the automatic updates. You're better off making your own backup discs.

Dave Long

Banned
This is one case where buying retail doesn't make much sense. Why go to the store when you could be downloading it right this second after a quick online purchase?

I suppose if you buy with cash only, that's a good reason, but other than that, I don't see it. That's especially true since everything goes through Steam and re-selling the game is not possible.

Pimpbaa

Bah, I want to play this but i'm not buying orange box (since I already have hl2 and ep1). Gonna have to wait it (and ep2) to be purchaseable seperately.

Edit: goddamnit, i just noticed the cost to buy each seperately would cost more than orange box!

Defcon

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Bah, I want to play this but i'm not buying orange box (since I already have hl2 and ep1). Gonna have to wait it (and ep2) to be purchaseable seperately.

Edit: goddamnit, i just noticed the cost to buy each seperately would cost more than orange box!

Yep, go ahead and buy it now.

Joe Molotov

Pimpbaa said:

:lol We all have HL2 and Ep1. Just buy the Orange Box; it's $45, that's a steal.

Pimpbaa

Joe Molotov said:
:lol We all have HL2 and Ep1. Just buy the Orange Box; it's $45, that's a steal.

Yeah I figured it out how to make it less wasteful. I'm giving my current steam account to my father, and creating a new account for orange box. Also ordering online while the canadian dollar is good (amazon.ca wants 60 box for orange box, fuck buying the retail version).

Edit: Done. Didn't know I was getting peggle extreme, that makes it all worthwhile!

firex

damn, I totally forgot about trying out the GAF server. I'll have to play on there over the weekend. I just played on a 12 man server, figuring it'd be kinda bland, but it was actually really cool. I had one insane round where I got 30 points as a sniper because they just couldn't flush me out or stop my headshots, but other than that it was a really evenly matched game.

dfyb

Banned
sudden death is the worst implimented idea in this game. i don't mind the game ending. but why can't it just end and award the win to whoever was leading...? going into sudden death effectively renders the real round meaningless. it doesn't really matter how good you did in the real round as long as it's "good enough" to make it to sudden death. this logic, along with no respawns in sudden death, really just promotes turtling.

one time on ctf_2fort, we had 3 flag captures, they had 2 (the limit was 6). sudden death starts and because of a glitch, our flag is already in their base and they cap it for the win. but let's assume the glitch didn't happen and they simply capped it legitimately. they win. even though during the real round, we had the most flag captures. bullshit. and on cp_ maps, they should just award the win to whoever had the most points.

sudden death really only makes sense for the cp_hydro map where there's only 2 points.

firex

I don't mind sudden death because it adds a big element of desperation to a match even if one team has nearly won. I even don't mind the stalemate ending... as long as people don't pussy out and camp then it works.

No_Style

dfyb said:
sudden death is the worst implimented idea in this game. i don't mind the game ending. but why can't it just end and award the win to whoever was leading...?

That's the fix. Make it happen Valve. I grow tired of stalemates.

firex said:
I don't mind sudden death because it adds a big element of desperation to a match even if one team has nearly won. I even don't mind the stalemate ending... as long as people don't pussy out and camp then it works.

ie: rarely

Stalemates were cute the first dozen times or so, but afterwards it just becomes lame.

Dave Long

Banned
Absolutely awesome games tonight, but Lazytown is busted. Because you can snipe without fear at the last point, there really seemed to be no way to cap it.

Best was the battle on Dustbowl. There was a whole lot of explodin' goin' on. :)

Dave Long said:
You can gift your extra HL2 and Ep.1 to someone.

Also, Alt-Tab is FIXED as of the patch today.
Nice, I thought it was just my comp that would freez when alt+tab

Good games tonight, esp. the hour long gib-fest on lazytown lol :)

Evlar

Banned
Well that was immensely entertaining. I'm sure I was doing no one any good and generally screwing up as an engineer but this was my first time playing and I still had a blast.

Dave Long

Banned
omgimaninja said:
Nice, I thought it was just my comp that would freez when alt+tab

Good games tonight, esp. the hour long gib-fest on lazytown lol :)
When I finally realized what was happening, and that there was no timer, I figured it was worth saying something or we would've gone on gibbing for hours like zombies with itchy mouse fingers.

It could be a good map if they fix up that end point on either end. Those last points should be the easiest to cap IMO because you want the thing to see-saw back and forth in the middle but have the weight get too heavy to bear as you get closer to the ends.

Rlan

If I wanted to make a Team Fortress 2 map, what would I need? I've dabbled with the HL2 / HL2DM maker before, but wouldn't I need a specific TF2 game choice?

Rlan

ThaiGrocer said:
I have the un-fixable "retrieving server info..." intermittent freeze-up problem. :-(

I had that when I installed a new program. I installed AVG, it kept freezing when it tried to go to a new map.

Uninstalling solved the problem. Now I need to find a new virus protection program :(

Davidion

Dave Long said:
This is one case where buying retail doesn't make much sense. Why go to the store when you could be downloading it right this second after a quick online purchase?

I suppose if you buy with cash only, that's a good reason, but other than that, I don't see it. That's especially true since everything goes through Steam and re-selling the game is not possible.

Some people want the physical packaging. Team Fortress was, no, is one of my favorite FPS's of all time, what's so unfathomable of wanting a physical presentation to go along with a game that I expect will entertain me like few others will? Emotional appeal does trump logic and rationality once in a while, after all.

Though that EA thing does turn me off a bit. :lol

Anyways, still looking forward to some game time. It'll be weird, slamming on my grenade button backing around tight corners only to have nothing prime. :(

Lots of fun tonight on Hydro with the Demoman. The other team had some very stubborn Scout rushers whom I kept greeting with sticky grenades. Still likely not in my best three classes yet, but I'm enjoying the class a lot more as I get more familar with the likely patterns and behaviors of players on each map.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Is anyone else getting the SteamOverlay just dieing occasionally? Sometimes when I Shift Tab it up, it'll either not appear or it does appear but shift tab doesn't remove it again. Not sure if it's an issue with TF2, or Steam.

Running Vista 64 if it makes a difference.

Buggy Loop

Ikuu said:
Is anyone else getting the SteamOverlay just dieing occasionally? Sometimes when I Shift Tab it up, it'll either not appear or it does appear but shift tab doesn't remove it again. Not sure if it's an issue with TF2, or Steam.

Running Vista 64 if it makes a difference.

Thats why its called a beta and you should report the bug in the game rather than GAF, how the hell can we even help you here?

Milpool

ThaiGrocer said:
I have the un-fixable "retrieving server info..." intermittent freeze-up problem. :-(
Spotless Mind said:
I keep getting this too. :(

Is it definitely frozen? Mine sometimes sits at the retrieving server info page for about 5 minutes, though I thought it might be due to my Socket A Athlon.

Akia

I just found out that the Demoman blows up his sticky mines with right click. That information just made that class so much better. I got 40 kills on 2Fort just planting mines near the first floor enterence through the gap in the ceiling.

This game is so awesome.

Hooker

Akia said:
I just found out that the Demoman blows up his sticky mines with right click. That information just made that class so much better. I got 40 kills on 2Fort just planting mines near the first floor enterence through the gap in the ceiling.

This game is so awesome.
OMG dude hahaha, and you also know that holding the fire button launches those stickies quite a bit further, like a charge.

No worries though, I found out you could destroy emplacements of the engineer by clicking the 5th slot, after playing it for 3 days :(

(mousewheelup = slot1, mousewheeldown = slot3, mousebutton4 = slot4, mousebutton5 = slot5... no mousebuttons left for slot5)

lazytown was cool, but ya that last point is way to easily covered by snipers. I couldn't stay to long, damn friends just had to go get halo 3. Also Puyo is a great medic!:D

1-D_FTW

My pathological inability to read directions has been hurting me too.

As I was just going into the command console to see my FPS, I entered the control options for the 1st time. Mapped "switch to last weapon" to mouse button 4. Being able to switch between melee and ranged weapons with a button click... yeah. Should have been the first thing I did. L-A-Z-Y!

I'm gonna go through all the developer commentary before I play again. Maybe I'll pick up good tips (and at the very least, I'll be able to survey the maps in peace.)

Hitokage said:
Tried out the new US server, and it seemed jittery, unless this is a different kind of jitter.

It's not as bad as it's sometimes been, but it's not like the flawlessness that it was on Tuesday before it crashed. I've yet to see a jitterless GAF game since.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
hitokagespy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom