• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any weird connection problems. Its happen a few times now where I'd connect to a server and within 30seconds everything would just stop and I'd lag out then d/c from the server. Would happen any server I joined. Maybe its my internet acting up or something hmmph.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Buggy Loop said:
Thats why its called a beta and you should report the bug in the game rather than GAF, how the hell can we even help you here?

Because it could be something that only I'm experiencing, I also had it happen in CS, and I was expecting someone to 'help' I was seeing if anyone else had it happen to them.

1-D_FTW

Hopefully this server will work out, but if it doesn't:

http://www.leetservers.com/

They have a server in Atlanta that I've played a number of games on and have had great pings with (30 ping - 500-600 miles away.)

If you go to their website, you can test all their server locations and all give great pings too.

I'm not sure what you're paying, but it's 2.75 per slot a month for public and 1.99 a month per slot for private.

And after typing this, went to log onto my favorites to see if they've suddenly developed jitterness... and their server's down with the invalid map name.

It must be a real bitch to keep up with all the updates. If this thing ever gets sorted out and I find I'm playing with you guys with any regularity (seems like the start time keeps getting bumped later and later), I'm donating some money your way. What a hassle it must be.

Icy

Banned
There's only been 1 server update to date. The people you just listed go through GameServers who is who I was trying out. Those rates you listed are the suggested rates for resellers who go through game Servers.

GameServers oversell their servers retardedly. Everyone is put on 33 tic and must request for a 66 tic. If you want a 100 tic and 128 fps they charge 2.00 more per slot. And there's no gurantee of the service/bandwidth due to the overselling.

Whats happening is with the multi core code in the new server code, you get jitters from way over selling. As its causing hiccups at the CPU.

We're on a 24 slot, 100 TIC, 512 FPS with High CPU Priority. There's only us and 2 other CS: Source servers on the box and no more will be put on. If it continues to do well, I'll add on a CS: Source server with some mods.

I had a couple folks from the EU area of the world and were getting 70-80 Ping on our new box and that in of itself makes me happy. So no seperate server for the EU peeps. Heck the most ever from Gaf on the eu was 10 including 3 US users. lol And other 14 were public moochers.

PeteJ

10 hours in and I still don't know...what causes a critical hit? With soldier for example you sometimes fire a blue rocket which is more powerful, how come?

My stats for Pyro just got reset or something. I had 18 kills (which was my highest number for any class) and something like 20 points as my record, now it went down to 5 points and I'm down to a record 16 engy kills. :/

Icy

Banned
# Critical hit shots are chosen based on a player's momentum on the scoreboard, causing rockets and grenades to show as a visible coloured sparkles, depending which team the player is on. It is important to note the sparkle means that a shot is critical, not the hit, so a player could miss a critical hit if he misses the shot. When you hit someone with a critical hit, a text icon appears over their head.[8]

Basically the more shots you succeed in hitting people and the speed at which you mow them down... gets you criticals.

I get them a lot when I play a heavy. I have screen shot at home, of me getting 8 critical shots in a row on the screen on a Pyro.. oh consequently that was Quellex.

Icy said:
# Critical hit shots are chosen based on a player's momentum on the scoreboard, causing rockets and grenades to show as a visible coloured sparkles, depending which team the player is on. It is important to note the sparkle means that a shot is critical, not the hit, so a player could miss a critical hit if he misses the shot. When you hit someone with a critical hit, a text icon appears over their head.[8]

Basically the more shots you succeed in hitting people and the speed at which you mow them down... gets you criticals.

I get them a lot when I play a heavy. I have screen shot at home, of me getting 8 critical shots in a row on the screen on a Pyro.. oh consequently that was Quellex.

So, it's ridiculously hard to get them if your not a heavy then? That's the only time I could see successful hits and rate at which they die being high... Unless, there isn't a time limit so you could get like 6 consecutive shotgun blasts as a scout but it could be 6 consecutive over like 30 secs or?

Icy

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So, it's ridiculously hard to get them if your not a heavy then? That's the only time I could see successful hits and rate at which they die being high... Unless, there isn't a time limit so you could get like 6 consecutive shotgun blasts as a scout but it could be 6 consecutive over like 30 secs or?

I've gotten them a lot as a sniper on certain maps. Pyro, Scout and Engineer.

Dave Long

Banned
I load up on critical hits as Demoman. You gotta make your shots count.

Does it also have to do with hitting someone in the back? That seemed to have an effect...

Icy

Banned
Yeah I felt that one.

The forumla for crits takes in the amount of shots landed, and kills. Higher % of the amount landed and the higher rate of kills in time = Critical.

A Medic with a Heavy on uber generally gets tons of crits.

Shit, I'm starting to talk like I did back during the wow days.. crits and formulas.. save me someone...

firex

well, every headshot I've had has been critical, but they haven't all been fully charged shots. criticals aren't instant death, mind you, and the only way I've killed a heavy getting healed by a medic is with a fully charged headshot. But seriously, every single headshot I've gotten has been a critical.

PatzCU

So I picked up Halo 3 today during my lunch break at work (still stuck here too), and as I think about it, I'm finding myself pulled more to TF2 tonight than Halo 3. TF2 has killed all my hype for every other game. :lol

dfyb

Banned
PatzCU said:
So I picked up Halo 3 today during my lunch break at work (still stuck here too), and as I think about it, I'm finding myself pulled more to TF2 tonight than Halo 3. TF2 has killed all my hype for every other game. :lol
that just proves you're a healthy gamer.

1-D_FTW

I just got kicked three times in a row for not having a secure VAC connection. WTF! It's a good thing they beta-ed this thing, cause there's definitely plenty of kinks to iron out.

EDIT: Was about to give it another go and my name is showing up as UNKNOWN on the scoreboard. A result of the friends list being down? Weird. Quit before I got kicked again.

Cryect

1-D_FTW said:
Was about to give it another go and my name is showing up as UNKNOWN on the scoreboard. A result of the friends list being down? Weird. Quit before I got kicked again.

Did you start TF2 through Steam?

1-D_FTW

Cryect said:
Did you start TF2 through Steam?

Yeah. I just gave it another try, and under Steam community, it said "no known user" and was an empty page.

So, I started getting hot that my login was being rejected as invalid login.

But I've found a button that allowed me to hit and log back in.

Still doesn't change the fact when I try and login through the website I'm getting invalid login. So I'll probably be able to play now, but they better straighten the glitch out.

Well, the problems just started today. I lost some achievements, for example. I think Valve is doing maintenance... or at least I hope so.

KTallguy

Banned
PatzCU said:

Man, this happened to me too with Warhawk :(

Jenga

Banned
The soldier kicks so much ass. Reminds me of rockets from UT04. Gotta love how it kills most classes in one direct hit.

Is anyone else having trouble getting steam community working? The page won't load and I'm trying to find out if we have a second server up for us that got here like 2 minutes late.

lexi

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is anyone else having trouble getting steam community working? The page won't load and I'm trying to find out if we have a second server up for us that got here like 2 minutes late.

Timing out for me. :(

Icy

Banned
2nd server? Only the 1.

the steam community is having issues.

And the TF2 client sometimes times out servers when trying to connect. Just hit refresh and try again.

Icy said:
2nd server? Only the 1.

the steam community is having issues.

And the TF2 client sometimes times out servers when trying to connect. Just hit refresh and try again.

It's only the community that's acting up. I thought you had two servers before and where going to reset up the second? Unless I read that wrong. I can connect to games just fine it's just the gaf server has been full the whole time.

Icy

Banned
We had a US and EU server up. I changed hosts due to an issue with them being able to keep the servers online and working correctly. New host is a little pricier but excellent. I'll see what I can do to get a 2nd server online. So far only $3.00 in donations ^^

Pimpbaa

omgimaninja said:
Good games tonight :) Didn't know what happened with sudden death, but fun nonetheless~

Yeah I played a few, but had to quit to get some food. My nick is Zuntar in TF2 (as well in steam). I was suicide roasting with pyro too much. Hopefully people are still playing when I'm done eating.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Icy said:
We had a US and EU server up. I changed hosts due to an issue with them being able to keep the servers online and working correctly. New host is a little pricier but excellent. I'll see what I can do to get a 2nd server online. So far only $3.00 in donations ^^
What is the link for donations? The one on the gaf steam page needs to be updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom