• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Jangaroo said:
Argh I had no idea what that demo was doing. And the worse thing is nobody bothered to spy check the tunnel since our engies couldn't maintain the sentries inside due to taking so damn long so here I am trying to buff up and there's a red silhouette making his way past everybody. The embarrassing thing was that we had like 6 players hunched up in there and nobody bothered to try and you know, KILL THE SPY. He even managed to get past everybody and open the door...again. Thank god for Bacon being a medic again alongside with me.

I was afk for a second so I stood there assuming nobody would be an idiot and let the door down.
The server was pretty crazy today. Don't let the rage get to you. I just relaxed and played bad sniper all night. :lol

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Blizzard said:
The server was pretty crazy today. Don't let the rage get to you. I just relaxed and played bad sniper all night. :lol
Bleagh, I'm not that grumpy. I'm a bit under the weather so I left to take a nap and to cool off. At least neither team were getting steamrolled today so it was all in good fun. And you outsniped me at the start of dustbowl. Shake's fists >:)

Blizzard

Banned
Jangaroo said:
Bleagh, I'm not that grumpy. I'm a bit under the weather so I left to take a nap and to cool off. At least neither team were getting steamrolled today so it was all in good fun. And you outsniped me at the start of dustbowl. Shake's fists >:)
The dual-sniper, fully charged, no motion, long-distance, starting gate headshot duel. It truly requires nerves of steel!

I'm sorry to complain so much, everyone. :(

DogWelder

Jangaroo said:
Argh I had no idea what that demo was doing. And the worse thing is nobody bothered to spy check the tunnel since our engies couldn't maintain the sentries inside due to taking so damn long so here I am trying to buff up and there's a red silhouette making his way past everybody. The embarrassing thing was that we had like 6 players hunched up in there and nobody bothered to try and you know, KILL THE SPY. He even managed to get past everybody and open the door...again. Thank god for Bacon being a medic again alongside with me.

I was afk for a second so I stood there assuming nobody would be an idiot and let the door down.
Which map was this? Steel or Coldfront?

DogWelder

Jangaroo said:
Dustbowl 2
Oh, right. In his defense, I don't think he knew Blizz was up on that ledge. The spy-checking was inexcusable though since we had two pyros and pretty much our entire team in that tunnel. :\

Jangaroo

esc said:
Oh, right. In his defense, I don't think he knew Blizz was up on that ledge. The spy-checking was inexcusable though since we had two pyros and pretty much our entire team in that tunnel. :\
Oh wells. You win some you lose some right?

firex

Yeef said:
I'm pretty awful with the Direct Hit. I was getting steamrolled by a medic/sniper pair ;_;
After I tooled around with direct hit some, I went back to the regular rocket launcher. Direct hit seems like it's only really good for close quarters because you don't blow yourself up as badly and obviously you can hit people and do way more damage, but then you lose all the good utility of the regular rocket launcher.

though it's still good with the engineer craze going for taking out non-wrangled stuff.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, the only reason I'll switch to Direct Hit is to take down Sentry Guns.. which it can be very effective at. Otherwise, I'll stick with the regular+Buff Banner.. not that I play a lot of Soldier these days.

Javaman

firex said:
After I tooled around with direct hit some, I went back to the regular rocket launcher. Direct hit seems like it's only really good for close quarters because you don't blow yourself up as badly and obviously you can hit people and do way more damage, but then you lose all the good utility of the regular rocket launcher.

though it's still good with the engineer craze going for taking out non-wrangled stuff.

I'm terrible at aiming the direct hit but will switch to it in a heartbeat if there is a sentry that we can't get past (especially if it's out of range). That thing chews buildings up for breakfast.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yep. All it takes is for an Engineer to turn away for a second and a lvl 3 SG will go down with two rockets from the Direct Hit.

Soldier is my least played class after heavy but the direct hit, buff banner and pick axe really reinvigorated my love for the class. the splash damage on the rocket launcher is just cheap really.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
How annoying is it for the US guys when aussies join the server with 200+ ping? Frustrating or does it not bother you?

I might have to join the gaf server one day and see how my engineer goes.

Twig

Banned
Visualante said:
Soldier is my least played class after heavy but the direct hit, buff banner and pick axe really reinvigorated my love for the class. the splash damage on the rocket launcher is just cheap really.
lol

Jangaroo

Twig said:
double lol
evlcookie said:
How annoying is it for the US guys when aussies join the server with 200+ ping? Frustrating or does it not bother you?

I might have to join the gaf server one day and see how my engineer goes.
The internet on my campus got screwy for a few days and I recall playing on the server with 200+ ping. It was terrible. Nobody complained though mostly due to everybody being nice about it but I just left because it's frustrating for everybody. Give it a go and see if you can handle the terrible lag.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Jangaroo said:
The internet on my campus got screwy for a few days and I recall playing on the server with 200+ ping. It was terrible. Nobody complained though mostly due to everybody being nice about it but I just left because it's frustrating for everybody. Give it a go and see if you can handle the terrible lag.

I joined the gaf server when the game first came out, the lag was somewhat annoying but i always felt like a dick for being the guy with a crazy high ping.

But i believe spotless and storyteller play on the server from time to time, so maybe everyone is cool with it. I figured engineer wouldn't be too crazy on a high ping server.

Blizzard

Banned
I am almost positive that I got a sniper kill today, which registered as a single non-assisted kill in the kill ticker, and it showed -495 damage over the guy's head. o_O

Jangaroo

Sciz said:
I've seen 450+ numbers before. Not sure why, but they happen.
Really? I just started using the damage numbers about two weeks ago and I haven't had anything that high yet. Huh. On a side note, how does everybody feel about class limits? Some maps are impossible with 4 engies turtling a point like that payload map. I didn't feel too bad about it since I was one of the engie's hammering away but that last point had way too many different areas to build a sentry. There's practically no way to counter it.

Blizzard

Banned
Jangaroo said:
Really? I just started using the damage numbers about two weeks ago and I haven't had anything that high yet. Huh. On a side note, how does everybody feel about class limits? Some maps are impossible with 4 engies turtling a point like that payload map. I didn't feel too bad about it since I was one of the engie's hammering away but that last point had way too many different areas to build a sentry. There's practically no way to counter it.
Nah, we had 4 engineers including one wrangled sentry on the last point of upward and blue still won with a few minutes left to go.

Yasae

Banned
evlcookie said:
I joined the gaf server when the game first came out, the lag was somewhat annoying but i always felt like a dick for being the guy with a crazy high ping.

But i believe spotless and storyteller play on the server from time to time, so maybe everyone is cool with it. I figured engineer wouldn't be too crazy on a high ping server.
Bacon's around that ping and he does fine.
Still a dirty Kiwi.

Even I'm consistently around 135 or higher. It puts a few classes out of playable latency and the lag compensation doesn't make up for it, but it's certainly not a trainwreck.

speedpop

Sciz said:
I've seen 450+ numbers before. Not sure why, but they happen.
They're fully charged crit hits. Happens a lot on crit-only servers when you've got it charged up. An unzoomed crit shot does 150 damage too.

Yeef

speedpop said:
They're fully charged crit hits. Happens a lot on crit-only servers when you've got it charged up. An unzoomed crit shot does 150 damage too.
I've never had a full charged headshot do more than 450.

Wallach

Blizzard said:
I am almost positive that I got a sniper kill today, which registered as a single non-assisted kill in the kill ticker, and it showed -495 damage over the guy's head. o_O

Maybe it was a Soldier or Demo with the Pain Train equipped? He would take an additional 45 damage from a headshot since it is a bullet weapon.

Blizzard

Banned
Wallach said:
Maybe it was a Soldier or Demo with the Pain Train equipped? He would take an additional 45 damage from a headshot since it is a bullet weapon.
That makes perfect sense. I think it was one of those classes!

Inkwell

Banned
Dear god, Upward made me rage last night. Somewhere around 3 or 4 times I got stickies all around Java's sentry at the last point, and as I right clicked to detonate and started moving away from the window I got sniped. It was so infuriating. I didn't really care if we won or lost, I just wanted to take down that damn sentry.

commissar

evlcookie said:

you can play a most classes but a few things worth knowing:
-try to pop an uber a full second before you would normally because there's always more damage coming down the intertubes
-if you're fleeing you will be melee'd from metres away
-if a spy is in front of you, he's actually just backstabbed you but you don't know it yet
-you'll get sniped around corners
-by the time you hear a spy decloaking it's too late
-every now and then your wrench hits to upgrade something will not register & you'll be stuck with a 192/200 sentry meaning an extra trip to get more metal
-you don't need to compensate when shooting, just aim as usual & lag compensation will probably sort it out
-upping cmdrate/rate/cl_updaterate etc. will make it worse on an international server, and most servers haven't changed it either so shouldn't make much of a difference anyway.

but the gaf server is filled with rad peoples and fun times which is why I think despite the ping it's worth it.
come play :D

edit:
Jangaroo said:
Nobody complained though mostly due to everybody being nice about it but I just left because it's frustrating for everybody.
I am sorry everyone :(

evlcookie said:

I haven't played on the Gaf server much lately. The lag has been intolerably bad for me of late and i also feel like a nuisance with my horribly high ping. I'll still pop on every now and then for a quick game and play engineer or medic, but i can't handle any other class.

The aussie reddit servers have become my new go to servers. Good map rotations and a nice community of regulars, plus none of that instaspawn/32-player crap that the majority of aussie servers are. I saw you were in the game today. You should join more often! The Storyteller and i are on there almost daily.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Spotless Mind said:
I haven't played on the Gaf server much lately. The lag has been intolerably bad for me of late and i also feel like a nuisance with my horribly high ping. I'll still pop on every now and then for a quick game and play engineer or medic, but i can't handle any other class.

The aussie reddit servers have become my new go to servers. Good map rotations and a nice community of regulars, plus none of that instaspawn/32-player crap that the majority of aussie servers are. I saw you were in the game today. You should join more often! The Storyteller and i are on there almost daily.

I was bouncing around on that server for some reason. Probably just a higher ping player causing some madness. I might jump on it more often.

I find goldrush / badwater instaspawns to be fun as engineer though. So playing on the reddit server was odd :lol

Blizzard

Banned
I played arena for the first time in a while today, and Valve has apparently STILL not fixed the sandman bug where you spawn with like 95 HP. Maybe it's intentional. :lol

Javaman

Inkwell said:
Dear god, Upward made me rage last night. Somewhere around 3 or 4 times I got stickies all around Java's sentry at the last point, and as I right clicked to detonate and started moving away from the window I got sniped. It was so infuriating. I didn't really care if we won or lost, I just wanted to take down that damn sentry.

You were definitely robbed on that one. I was just barely holding on by a thread. I'm not sure who the sniper was but that was nuts. Don't feel too bad. The same thing happened to me when I was using the direct hit. No matter how many rockets I threw at it I could never take them down on the platform. That last cp is way too tough to cheese.

speedpop

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the Pyro players I've run into over the years actually play like that :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom