• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

Skyzard

Banned
Anyone know what's up with the pre-order DLC? Not the jukebox bonus, but the one with the pig outfit and the two LBP costumes? Has been a while with no word...

Blinck

Holy sweet baby batman.... this game is so awesome.
Just got to the
science lab!

The Harbor...with the waves and everything
... Just absolutely mind blowing really.

I'm just loving it. The only level that I didn't like as much so far was the
Snow Peak
, as I thought there was to much touch input on the climb for the elevators and such.

But man, this game was made with a lot of care. Everything is sublime.

Also, the Image Quality in this game is stunning. I wish all Vita games had this sort of image quality...makes a huge difference IMO.

Trouble

Banned
I'm just loving it. The only level that I didn't like as much so far was the
Snow Peak
, as I thought there was to much touch input on the climb for the elevators and such.

Yeah, I've never needed to clean my Vita screen as much as when playing this game. :p

Cyberia

u64grBT.png

vJr2rDa.png

ckohler

Just beat it. Credits rolling. Amaizing game!

That ending was wild and touching.

One of the most innovative games I've played in just about every way (graphics, gameplay, music, theme, etc.)

OmahaG8

Yow.

A semi close friend recently asked me what a vita was. I explained it was basically the psp2. He goes "the vita is that system with like 2 games at the store?"

'Yeah.. Kinda. The vita really does digital distribution well.' I lost him by the word kinda.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I beat this... last week? Or the week before. I don't remember. But the ending was good
suuuuper-trippy
. I don't really have time to write out full impressions now, but I came away impressed by the whole thing. It's honestly the only Mm game I've liked from beginning to end.

I genuinely like it when a game uses its hardware to its advantage like that. 999 did with the DS, Device 6 does that with the iPad/iPhone, and Tearaway does it with the Vita. Tearaway really should be a bundled game with the Vita as opposed to Welcome Park in order to show what the Vita can actually do from a development standpoint and a gamey-sense as opposed to a new device with interactive stuff akin to a phone or tablet. Sometimes devices need games like that to show why some of the things they have completely matter in a game development sense. It makes the concept of the device fully realized and ensures that the hardware is fully taken advantage of. It doesn't render any parts of it superfluous, really, nor does it treat any of its hardware specs as an add-on "just in case". I thought LittleBigPlanet Vita did that with the hardware, but this just takes the concept a step further.

It pleasantly uses the theme of arts and crafts to its advantage. Not only are you crafting out a landscape to deliver your message or solve puzzles, but you're using the arts and crafts bits in order to platform (ie: glue, foil paper, etc). Everything is interactive, much like having access to a plethora of arts and crafts items in a classroom or at home. You don't even necessarily have to make 'you' the star. I ended up making things around me the star, like, I dunno, a cute stuffed pig of mine, and audio from an arrangement of Proto Man's theme.

So, good game. Impressions later.

Trouble

Banned
Just finished the game. The
storybook
ending was brilliant. I don't know why I didn't see that coming.

Going to play again soon and really focus on making all my crafts beautiful. I was lazy and most I made were pretty lame. I'm not very artistic lol.

Some pictures from my journey:

Just bought a vita with Christmas money, and took advantage of the amazon $20 deal on this game (along with Ys, and Gravity Rush to round out my initial collection).

nampad

I can just imagine how the must feel with the sales being bad but everyone port begging for Tearaway. It's always the same. "Vita has no games" but "Gravity Rush should have been on the PS3", "I hope they will bring Soul Sacrifice to the PS3" and now they are calling for Tearaway.

Only worse are the people who go like "this games looks great but I'll wait for the inevitable PS+ offer in 3 month". At least they should be realistic when a game like Tearaway would actually hit PS+.

Fasty

Just finished it. Easily my GOTY also. Nothing comes close to how much joy this game gave me!

A few photos

23e0f006930ba7d8362ba2cc2c9c3159e893790a.jpg

Banana Snow
926d8302ed454277a7f05851693bc8729923c991.jpg

The worlds most joyous scarecrow
77a53fc55ec84594fd834953b6d64ba169f3a2c0.jpg

Science!
4ec5d65ebe4377f851dc842810379e9c9109c2e7.jpg

SCIENCE!!!!!!!

Daigoro

im 9% in and i am in love.

i cant believe how much i am enjoying this game. i figured id like it, but this is giving me so much joy right now.

its really damn good at what it does, and it is a fantastic game.

I think I'm right at the very end - currently
In Between Pages
. I've enjoyed it so much. I have about 80% items collected per chapter on average, so I'll probably go for the Platinum before I move on to another game. That would be my second on Vita and sixth overall.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm enjoying going after the platinum, but there sure are a lot of glitches along the way :(

Aside from having some of the most common ones, now I have 3/4 papercrafts in the Desert despite having all 4 of them unlocked. I hope that doesn't mean I need a whole other playthrough just to get back to the desert in the hopes that it doesn't glitch again.

nvm, not a glitch. If you talk to the pig before taking a picture of it, that doesn't count as collecting the papercraft

Mdk7

Some more pics i took.
I'm currently at 63%, but i seriously don't want it to end (yet i'm dying to play it). D:

7aa00f81bb627c6bfc11c9a7f146aa1eb3dc2b20.jpg

fe327213a0e2c2ce0dd515e73ca1b959df5f7e69.jpg

5dee2498b262143c954b3d6edbb214e24b6fa489.jpg

b3ce3237a1ef6aa0587c377f83c6afdd8b050035.jpg

a2792a0d5d6421f68d68b1475598cd5f11ba0e76.jpg

6dc8f2436ab2d8448fa0c9165ff723b76424ce3c.jpg

c87125cee3a1655f287677988b3ef3291d248c28.jpg

aaf617c5c0555722bb42fc5119064ac2412b9234.jpg

10ce5e2505f3ae9bd22c977bd67dce1e5282c4f9.jpg

428c07204cf4771ae4256682d4842371d32130d5.jpg

faf623ee7dbf7408dab72ed168740e97d3a4914c.jpg

Hard to state just how charming this game is, everytime the sun shows I see how big a smile I have on my face. Really wish Sony had released this earlier, could have been a major system seller but instead I'm picking it up for 20 dollars weeks after release :/ Really hope they make a sequel, I don't want this to end!

Edit: One question though, is there any easy way to flip objects that I'm missing? The auto rotation doesn't work half the time. Also wish one could share their messengers, some of the ones you guys and others have done are so far beyond anything in my ability.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finished it yesterday. One of the first games in a while that I really didn't want to see end. It was perfection from start to finish. I simply can't believe how much variety and quality are in here.

sajj316

Finished it yesterday. One of the first games in a while that I really didn't want to see end. It was perfection from start to finish. I simply can't believe how much variety and quality are in here.

Nice! I get my copy today (retail). I can't wait to bless my Vita with this game!

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, what were they thinking with this "Tower of Doom" trophy? Really dumb and clunky thing to try to do. I had one of the little scraps get stuck on a wall twice and just didn't feel like trying it again.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Finished this game a couple days ago. I feel this is the game that justifies buying a Vita. The ending hit me hard.

I finished it last night. It was so great, the
little story summary
at the end was lovely.

I must admit, I got really annoyed by some of the level design in
The Tear. Those bits where you had to roll down the thin blue/pink roads were so fucking infuriating; there was one particular section where I must have died about 40 times. And then I had lots of trouble with the sections when you have to tilt the Vita to move the platforms, mainly because flat was the default but I was lying back in bed trying to play, and having to keep sitting up and really exagerratedly lean the Vita was an annoyance
. I did like how surreal it got, and I found it a little bit creepy when
there were the faceless Iotas and Atois watching

I've only got about 30% trophies, but I'm close on the collectibles and the rest of the specific ones like
photographing the other messenger
or
photographing a squirrel riding an elk
should be fairly easy. Gonna spend the next couple of nights working towards the Platinum. I also didn't think it was too short, as it must have taken me at least 8 hours.

Mdk7

Beat it now.
I am here, during the lunch break, alone in my office with my eyes that are almost wet.

The whole game is incredible, but those final moments are just unbelievable.
It's an experience i'll never, EVER forget until the moment i die.
Surely among my top 10 games ever, probably even in my top 5 (and maybe even in my top 3): Media Molecule crafted something so so special here.

10/10 for me, and by far my GOTY of course.
I am so sorry for the devs for the commercial failure: it's a shame so few people will live their adventure along with Iota.

Miutsu

So, I just got the game yesterday night and this morning I got to drew my own snow flakes and saw them falling...

THERE WERE FALLING MULTICOLORED SNOWFLAKES AND EVERYONE WAS HAPPY GODDAMIT.

I'm in love with this game.

Chorazin

Beat it now.
I am here, during the lunch break, alone in my office with my eyes that are almost wet.

Surely among my top 10 games ever, probably even in my top 5 (and maybe even in my top 3): Media Molecule crafted something so so special here.

I am so sorry for the devs for the commercial failure: it's a shame so few people will live their adventure along with Iota.

If Sony has any fucking sense, they'll realize that this isn't gonna sell on it's own, and just bundle it free with new Vita systems so everyone has the opportunity to experience the magic.

Any tips for character customization? Seeing some of the people on Tearaway.me's and gaffer's messengers really makes me feel incompetent. Run out of objects quickly and have trouble placing them on the body at times. I feel like my finger is block where I'm trying to put it.

Number45

Any tips for character customization? Seeing some of the people on Tearaway.me's and gaffer's messengers really makes me feel incompetent. Run out of objects quickly and have trouble placing them on the body at times. I feel like my finger is block where I'm trying to put it.
There's some tips on the first page of this thread.

Picked it up yesterday. Was at 9% in the demo. Restarted with a fresh save for the full version. This game is amazing. Every time I see myself as the sun it gives me a giggle and I make a ridiculous face. The added touch of being able to choose the color of your finger was nice for me. I know it sounds dumb, but it's awesome when the hand that should be my hand looks like my hand...kinda.

Kinda glad I went to GameStop. I got two keychains. I never thought I would ever say I was glad I went to GameStop.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Beat it now.

I feel exactly the same in every way. If I had to name a GOTY, it would be this. I mean, I love me some MGR: Revengeance, TLoU and GTAV, but this really speaks to me in terms of what can be achieved with games.

Also I'm glad I didn't finish it during a lunchbreak session... would have probably had to pull a sickie!

ROpXlSN.jpg

aKbzfL0.jpg

The cast is set.

Great to see some papercraft love! EHelmer made the full scrap set <3

http://tearaway.me/p/1nbwt
29651359667ae18069dee6299649d4cef58a4342.jpg

PS: once logged you can directly upload your own papercraft pictures on tearaway.me

These are magnificent. Would love to try and make a couple. Is there any particular craft paper people are using?

Just ordered the game along with a Vita. Super cool bundle with LBP and a 16Go Memory Card.

I didn't think this game could've been GOTY material, I dismissed it as a "cool game but nothing more" at the reveal but now I'm quite pumped, seeing everyone's reaction to it.

These are magnificent. Would love to try and make a couple. Is there any particular craft paper people are using?

My lil artistic sister recommended using A3 paper and just cutting it in half for printing. Its a bit tougher than the flimsy weak A4 paper. Useful for stop motion videos.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
My lil artistic sister recommended using A3 paper and just cutting it in half for printing. Its a bit tougher than the flimsy weak A4 paper. Useful for stop motion videos.

Thanks to you and lil sis! Wonder how long it'll be before someone uploads a home-made stop-motion video of these to Youtube or something...

Daigoro

finished the game tonight. it was so good.

when i saw the OT (before i even had a Vita), i checked it out for a minute, but wasnt overly interested. then after seeing so many recommendations on gaf and hearing it was on sale i just kind of blind bought it.

im really glad i did, because i would have missed out on a fantastic game if i chose to ignore it. there is so much to love about it. what a wonderful experience.

Working my way through to pick up everything for El Plattio. There's one present and two pieces of confetti in The Barn which I can't for the life of me find. I got a photo of the gopher on the elk. Going back through looking for these things really makes me appreciate the level design - it's tight and flowing without ever outstaying its welcome.

oggob

Working my way through to pick up everything for El Plattio. There's one present and two pieces of confetti in The Barn which I can't for the life of me find. I got a photo of the gopher on the elk. Going back through looking for these things really makes me appreciate the level design - it's tight and flowing without ever outstaying its welcome.

I'll take a stab at the present in the barn because there was one that stumped me... And ill spoiler this one...

when you first learn to roll, there is a section where you roll to knock the supports out to make ramps to get up to the next area, there are 3 of them ... Knock out the middle one only and then to 2 remaining platforms lead to presents and/or photo ops, the right one you probably have already as you can get to it if the ramp is knocked over still, the left one needs to be untouched...

Hopefully that is the missing one... Otherwise look for holes and attempt to backtrack everywhere

Top Bottom