• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Joey Ravn

Banned
I have an issue that maybe you can help me solve. Since a few weeks ago, seemingly out of nowhere, I'm having playback issues with videos when I'm loading games. Here's my setup:

ASUS PG248Q (1080p 144 Hz G-Sync) connected via DisplayPort to a GTX 1080.
BenQ RL2455 and an ASUS... something (both 1080p 60 Hz) connected to a GTX 740 via HDMI and DVI, respectively.
i7 6700K 4.2 GHz
16 GB DDR4 RAM
Windows 10 x64

My main monitor is the G-Sync ASUS, and I'm using the other two on a cheap GTX 740 to offload them from my GTX 1080 (which is locked to 3D clocks if more than two monitors are connected to it at the same time... thanks, NVIDIA drivers!). Let's say that I'm playing a video on one of the two monitors. I can be from YouTube, Twitch or VLC. It doesn't matter if it's a local file or it's being streamed from the Internet. I boot up a game, any game, and whenever there is a loading screen (for example, right when the game starts or when changing maps), the video will slow down to a crawl and sometimes even stop completely. When the game stops loading, playback goes back to normal.

The weird thing is that I don't remember ever having this issue, and I've had a three-monitor setup for as long as I can remember. I've been monitoring my CPU activity with Afterburner and RTSS to see if it's getting overloaded by the game loading and the video decoding... but CPU usage is perfectly normal. Well within its ability to manage both tasks at the same time.

Does anyone have any idea of what may be happening?

faridmon

I don't know if anyone can help me here, but Ill try

for my sisters dissertation she need to use the OSMAN readability program, found in this link:

https://github.com/drelhaj/OsmanReadability

The program is open-sourced and requires java, but even though she managed to download it and make it run, it still doesn't show her readability results when she paste or upload a text. she contacted the program developer and this was his reply:

"You need to make sure that Java is running under UTF-8 Environment."

I don't understand how to do that. I'd be grateful if you can inform me what I'm not doing right.

Mac btw

so my mouse is now frequently double clicking on single clicks. Is my mouse dying or is this a setting that somehow got switched?

I've googled around and tried a few things via the control panel mouse settings but seems out of the ordinary

Though, under mouse properties/hardware HID-compliant mouse Properties, apparently something happened on 8/19 regarding a device migration. And there are actually 2 entries on hardware for this. Perhaps that is the issue? dunno weird.

Logitech wired optical mouse, two buttons with the scroll wheel, no idea what model. 5 years old

Windows X

For the past few days I've been having abrupt restarts on my machine. I went into the settings to turn off "Restart On Crash," but it still immediately restarts whenever this issue occurs. What's more, there is no error log in Event Viewer on the crash. There is only a critical notice telling me that the prior restart was unexpected. All of my temps are fine, I've run and passed Memcheck, I've run and passed CHKDSK, and I even bought a new PSU, but the issue still occurs. I've reinstalled and rolled back GPU drivers too, but there's no change. Everything still runs smoothly when it's not rebooting. I can still play games for hours with no problem, but it does this random reboot multiple times a day without fail. Unfortunately I seem unable to intentionally recreate the reboot scenario.

This is certainly a hardware issue, right? Otherwise there would be SOMETHING in event viewer? There's no minidump created either. All of my components are a little over a month old, as I had just built the system. It ran perfectly fine until around Tuesday.

Edit: Ended up being a bad PCI-e lane.

Bishop89

so ive created my mum a website through WIX (yes yes I know).

I need help with SEO stuff and I don't know where to begin.

Wix has inbuilt SEO features which i've setup but after doing that I still can't seem to get her site to pop up on google.

Any pointers or tips would be appreciated.

Bishop89

so ive created my mum a website through WIX (yes yes I know).

I need help with SEO stuff and I don't know where to begin.

Wix has inbuilt SEO features which i've setup but after doing that I still can't seem to get her site to pop up on google.

Any pointers or tips would be appreciated.

anyone?

snacknuts

we all knew her
This is less of a tech support question than a general tech question, but... I have a 2008 MacBook that I don't need anymore. My wife wants to put it in our garage sale this weekend. Can I get anything for selling it?

Specs:
  • 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 320 GB HDD (I don't think it's an SSD, but I honestly don't remember)
Lots of wear and tear since it's almost ten years old. The battery is completely non-functional at this point, so it has to be plugged in at all times.

So is it worth anything? Like $20? I honestly don't care about getting anything for it, but my wife asked for a price to put it in the garage sale. Thanks in advance for any help.

kennah

This is less of a tech support question than a general tech question, but... I have a 2008 MacBook that I don't need anymore. My wife wants to put it in our garage sale this weekend. Can I get anything for selling it?

Specs:
  • 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 320 GB HDD (I don't think it's an SSD, but I honestly don't remember)
Lots of wear and tear since it's almost ten years old. The battery is completely non-functional at this point, so it has to be plugged in at all times.

So is it worth anything? Like $20? I honestly don't care about getting anything for it, but my wife asked for a price to put it in the garage sale. Thanks in advance for any help.

The charger is worth like 30-40 alone. I'd put it for $60-80 but take whatever is offered.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Hey Tech Support.

I want to replace my HDD with an SSD on my MacBook Pro, and am trying to download Mac OS but I'm a bit confused.

All the files on the Apple page say Mac OS "update". Is this the full thing or just a patch? If the latter, where do I get the full OS?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Any SQL masters around here? I can fudge some basic stuff here and there, but I am a n00b.

I am trying to execute the following query:

Code:
SELECT TimeEntry.EmployeeID, TimeEntry.ProjectID, TimeEntry.ActivityID, TimeEntry.TEHours, TimeEntry.TEDate, Project.ProjectOther2
FROM TimeEntry
FULL OUTER JOIN Project ON TimeEntry.ProjectID = Project.ProjectCode
WHERE TimeEntry.TEDate > Convert(date, '07-31-2017') and TimeEntry.TEDate < Convert(date, '09-01-2017')
ORDER BY EmployeeID ASC, TEDate ASC, ProjectID ASC

The Project.ProjectOther2 value comes back as NULL no matter which kind of JOIN (inner, outer, left, right, whatever) I use. I need to filter on that field in the WHERE argument, but right now I can't even get the unfiltered data to populate. I know those fields are not actually null in the Project table. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The charger is worth like 30-40 alone. I'd put it for $60-80 but take whatever is offered.

Thank you so much!

Tech Support!!!!!! *In my Tom cruise voice

I keep getting the disconnect issue with Destiny and need a router upgrade and to follow that separate port thing for each system.

Any recommendations for a good affordable router
Tks in advance

Oublieux

Tech Support!!!!!! *In my Tom cruise voice

I keep getting the disconnect issue with Destiny and need a router upgrade and to follow that separate port thing for each system.

Any recommendations for a good affordable router
Tks in advance

I would recommend the TP-Link Archer C7. It's currently on Amazon for 84 USD and sits right in that sweet spot for price and performance. Lower priced routers tend to underperform and higher priced routers likely won't benefit you much more.

If I have an overheating CPU will Win10 give me a proper shutdown screen or just kill everything?

I am trying to hunt down a won't-stay-on issue and it is not the PSU.

Barracuda

Neo Member
so I use altbinz to download usenet files and most of the time when it unzips it names it as the part file name like 9huy4hh3uyy73yih3heiuh.mkv

anyone have that issues with nzbs?

MissChief

so my mouse is now frequently double clicking on single clicks. Is my mouse dying or is this a setting that somehow got switched?

I've googled around and tried a few things via the control panel mouse settings but seems out of the ordinary

Though, under mouse properties/hardware HID-compliant mouse Properties, apparently something happened on 8/19 regarding a device migration. And there are actually 2 entries on hardware for this. Perhaps that is the issue? dunno weird.

Logitech wired optical mouse, two buttons with the scroll wheel, no idea what model. 5 years old

Windows X

I had the same problem, also a Logitech mouse. It's just some dust that is trapped inside, try cleaning your mouse with some compressed air. There are actually dozens of youtube videos showing how to open and clean your mouse ;)

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Can someone help please?

Noticed this weird thing where my processor temperature (i7 4770k) doesnt decrease at all even when fan speed is increased. For example, at idle its around 40C. Even if I put the fan at 100%, almost doubling the speed, it stays exactly there! It does increase and decrease with load though so its not like censors are wrong. Its just weird that increasing fan doesn't do anything at all, even though I can clearly see the RPM increasing and can listen the fan whirring.

Oublieux

Can someone help please?

Noticed this weird thing where my processor temperature (i7 4770k) doesnt decrease at all even when fan speed is increased. For example, at idle its around 40C. Even if I put the fan at 100%, almost doubling the speed, it stays exactly there! It does increase and decrease with load though so its not like censors are wrong. Its just weird that increasing fan doesn't do anything at all, even though I can clearly see the RPM increasing and can listen the fan whirring.

Curious, I would expect it to drop at least 1 or 2 degrees. That being said; is it a large concern? Having the processor idle around 40C is actually pretty great.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Curious, I would expect it to drop at least 1 or 2 degrees. That being said; is it a large concern? Having the processor idle around 40C is actually pretty great.

In general it's ok but I was overclocking for CEMU (to 4.3Ghz from 3.5 stock) and the temp while playing in CEMU shot till 90 or more and fan at full didn't do anything. I was hoping it would keep it at some 80 or so.

So uh, this is happening on the boot screen of my MSI laptop tonight:

rVz8AEI.jpg

Funky purple ghosting of the logo and a turquoise line at the bottom of the display. When actually booted, everything seems fine.

Just a quick search seems to indicate it's more likely a problem with the display or connected than a GPU issue, but I dunno what exactly is going on. Freaking me out a bit.

Any advice?

I had the same problem, also a Logitech mouse. It's just some dust that is trapped inside, try cleaning your mouse with some compressed air. There are actually dozens of youtube videos showing how to open and clean your mouse ;)

Too late, and 20$ replacement mouse with those side button things (so an upgrade) and a bit more ergonomic. :) thanks for the tip though, if I saw this earlier I would have tried it first, damn amazon with their next day delivery temptation.

I can't get the Rehost Image (to Imgur) add-on to work with Firefox anymore. I recently reset my Firefox settings and had to re-download my add-ons, and when I try to rehost a picture I get the "Uploading Image" box in the lower right corner of the screen, but it doesn't fill in with the green bar, and Firefox freezes up. When I kill Firefox in Task Manager, it says, "the system is waiting for a response from you."

I have the latest version of Firefox (v53.03) and I've tried using both the 64- and 32 bit versions even though I have a 64-bit PC. The latest version of Rehost Image (v15.20) on the Mozilla site says "This add-on is not compatible with your version of Firefox" but v15.17 doesn't have that warning so that's the one I tried downloading and it still doesn't work.

Anything else I could try?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/rehost-image/

Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V Pro
CPU - i5 3570K 3.4GHz Quad Core 6MB 77W
RAM - 2 X Kingston DDR3-1600 4GB
GPU - EVGA Geforce GTX 680 2GB
Power - Seasonic X-1050 1050W

Zoon

Not exactly a problem but may be affecting other stuff so here it goes. I got an RX470 and for some reason it detects a second monitor being connected on the Display port without me having one. My only monitor is on the HDMI slot and is detected by windows as number 2 while the invisible one being number 1(apparently its resolution is 640x480 well). Does anyone have any clue how to fix that? I'm on windows 10 and I've tried different versions of AMD drivers. Also this wasn't an issue with my old 660ti.

Have a sony blu ray player that I lost the remote for, as well as a sony tv. Is there any way to connect the remote from the tv to the blu ray player?

The blu ray player itself doesn't have any face buttons required to start movies, so it's basically just a brick sitting here. I'd prefer not to have to go buy some expensive universal remote thing if possible. But that's probably not going to happen. Any help?

Iorv3th

So uh, this is happening on the boot screen of my MSI laptop tonight:

Funky purple ghosting of the logo and a turquoise line at the bottom of the display. When actually booted, everything seems fine.

Just a quick search seems to indicate it's more likely a problem with the display or connected than a GPU issue, but I dunno what exactly is going on. Freaking me out a bit.

Any advice?

Is it only like that during boot? If you pull up a black screen on your computer does it show those same lines?

If it's just the monitor those are somewhat easy to replace and depending on the screen and connector yours uses would only cost around 150$ or so to buy one. If it's the GPU though hope it's under warranty.

Can someone help please?

In general it's ok but I was overclocking for CEMU (to 4.3Ghz from 3.5 stock) and the temp while playing in CEMU shot till 90 or more and fan at full didn't do anything. I was hoping it would keep it at some 80 or so.

Shouldn't be running at 90 for long. Either your heatsink is making bad contact or may need to replace thermal paste. Are you using the stock cooler or aftermarket? Stock cooler is shit and not meant to overclock with.

What program are you using to measure temps?

Also in your OC might want to check your offset value. If it auto overclocks your going to have it use more power and be hotter.

kennah

Have a sony blu ray player that I lost the remote for, as well as a sony tv. Is there any way to connect the remote from the tv to the blu ray player?

The blu ray player itself doesn't have any face buttons required to start movies, so it's basically just a brick sitting here. I'd prefer not to have to go buy some expensive universal remote thing if possible. But that's probably not going to happen. Any help?
Read the manual for your tv remote? Really difficult to help you with no information

Koren

Unless I'm mistaken, if your TV and your BR player are both Sony, you can use HDMI-CEC to control the most common functions of the BR with the TV.

It may depend on the TV model (and possibly the player), but IIRC, it's an option you can enable in your TV (I believe it's called Bravia Sync in Sony models). Problem is, I wonder if you don't need to activate it also in the player... (I tried it at my parents' house, but I prefer using an universal programmable remote myself)

HDMI-CEC increases the wattage in sleep mode, but it works quite well.

In the midtime (and if you need to activate it in the player, too)... Do you have a smartphone? Several of them have a IR blaster, and there's apps to replace a remote by a smartphone. I have all common models in my smartphone for when I'm in a hotel, I prefer using my phone that the remote you find in hotels ;)

The problem I had was due to a hard shut down in the middle of a windows update, uninstalling/reinstalling the update fixed it. In case anyone was looking for answers or had a similar issue.

Afrikan

I bought a 4K 60fps Video Camera...but I'm having trouble playing the videos off their sd card on our LG 4K TVs (2016).

The LG TV says file system is not supported and to format. But my Galaxy S8 plays them just fine. (But hate taking them out of tray over and over again)

Intially i thought my issue was the USB Sd Card Reader.. so I went and bought a USB 3.0 reader... but nope same issue.

You would think LG's flag ship OLED TVs would be able to play this file system/codes.

The video files are not some unique special custom code.

When I get a chance I'll plug it into my PS4 Pro and see what happens.. but eventually i might have to buy a portable Android 4K TV box or something.

Reminder- files are not corrupted or anything. Videos work on the camera itself and my phone.

Also the camera itself can't play the videos on a TV. No 4k 60fps video out capability.

I built my desktop about 4 years ago, and it still runs great. In fact I recently upgraded my 670 to a 970 and its awesome.

My issue is I have the Bose QC35's wireless and they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever had. My computer does not have Bluetooth, does anyone have a solution for adding Bluetooth?

GutsOfThor

I built my desktop about 4 years ago, and it still runs great. In fact I recently upgraded my 670 to a 970 and its awesome.

My issue is I have the Bose QC35's wireless and they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever had. My computer does not have Bluetooth, does anyone have a solution for adding Bluetooth?

I believe you can just buy a universal Bluetooth receiver and plug it in to your computer and they should work. That's what we do where I work.

Speaking of work, I have run in to a dead end on how to fix a problem a user has been having. On our intranet site, we have a file share where you can upload files to share with clients and once you've selected the files and click share, it is supposed to auto generate an email message in Outlook 2016. For whatever reason, this feature has stopped working for this one user. Programmatic access is working for them in other programs such as Word where you will type an email address and when you click on the link it auto generates an email but for some reason it is not working for our file share.

Any ideas?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My T-Mobile iPhone 6 battery is suddenly draining at crazy rates.

Random too.

I am traveling in the U.K. So it could be connected to that. Also while Bluetooth and hotspot are definitely disabled hotspot has shown up as an available connection twice on my iPad.

Koren

The video files are not some unique special custom code.
Are you sure?

My video camera, when in 1080p@60, records the video in a normal format, but disregard the specs (it uses a higher bitrate than maximum). They do this because they can't compress it with a sufficiently high quality in realtime.

For this reason, those files work on some devices and not on others, without any apparent reasons...

Afrikan

Are you sure?

My video camera, when in 1080p@60, records the video in a normal format, but disregard the specs (it uses a higher bitrate than maximum). They do this because they can't compress it with a sufficiently high quality in realtime.

For this reason, those files work on some devices and not on others, without any apparent reasons...

They record in .MP4 format.

You would think LG's WEB OS 3.0 would support that.

But it might be something else, because you would think that it would at least accept the card...then either NOT read each specific MP4 file... or not show those files.

But when I plug it in the USB 3.0 slot.. it says file system not supported. To format the sd card.

That's why I thought it was a physical issue with me needing to get a USB 3.0 reader.. instead of any USB reader. But nope.

Like I said before, my Android phone reads the sd card fine. So WEB OS 3.0 can't read the same files?

Edit- ok I read there are issues with some MP4 files (even though LG say they support it)

Gonna put a regular file (image) on the USB to see if the TV sees it.

Xanonano

But it might be something else, because you would think that it would at least accept the card...then either NOT read each specific MP4 file... or not show those files.

But when I plug it in the USB 3.0 slot.. it says file system not supported. To format the sd card.

That's why I thought it was a physical issue with me needing to get a USB 3.0 reader.. instead of any USB reader. But nope.

Like I said before, my Android phone reads the sd card fine. So WEB OS 3.0 can't read the same files?

Edit- ok I read there are issues with some MP4 files (even though LG say they support it)

Gonna put a regular file (image) on the USB to see if the TV sees it.

Your SD card is formatted as ExFAT, which WebOS doesn't support. You'd have to format it to FAT32 for it to work, or just copy the files to a FAT32 or NTFS USB drive.

demented

I'm trying to run some apps and I get Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service on win10 64bit. It has enough ram, it instantly deletes the file I'm trying to run after that message. Any idea what to do?

Koren

.mp4 isn't a format. It's a container. There can be hundreds of different formats for a .mp4 file. The video camera I was talking about create mp4 file, but in an invalid codec.

But yes, the problem is probably related to ExFAT / FAT format of the card.

Still, a MP4 file that a device can't read may be not the device fault (even if others can read it) but the file itself.

Mitch

Banned
Evening GAF. I've been having a difficult time resolving an issue with my girlfriend's PC.

Specs:
Case - NZXT 2340 Mid Tower (brand new)
MOBO - Gigabyte Z270N MATX (brand new)
CPU - Intel i5 7600K (brand new)
PSU - EVGA 600B (brand new - tested to work)
GPU - GTX 760 Twin Frozr
RAM - Corsair DDR4 4GB x2 (brand new)
HDD - Samsung 128gb SSD

TL:DR - PC successfully runs while bread-boarding. With just MOBO and then with all other components one at a time. When all parts are moved to 2 separate cases, nothing boots.

A little backstory - Saturday morning she was using her PC, which was in an old case with her first PSU. She had purchased a new case and power supply a few weeks ago and we finally decided to move everything over.

Problem - PC won't boot up after moving parts. I also tried moving everything back into older case.

This is just a copy/paste from another help forum I posted today:
Bread-boarding worked multiple times. First with nothing but the MOBO hooked up. Second with the GPU hooked up and third with all components attached.

I then proceeded to put everything into the brand new case. Made sure everything was connected properly. When I pressed the power button, nothing happens. I disconnected the power switch connector and used the same screwdriver I used while bread-boarding. Still nothing.

I took everything out and did a bread-board setup again. Everything worked like the first time. Instead of putting the parts back in to the new case, I decided to put them into the case that was previously used (no known issues! just wanted a sleeker, newer case). When I went to turn it on via the power switch, nothing happened. Same with using a screwdriver on the pins.

dubc35

I don't know if this is the place or the PC thread but anyway,

The HDD on an old laptop died. It was Win7 Pro 64 bit. What's the best way to get that OS back on it? I don't have a restore disk and HP support doesn't have it for download. I see all kinds of random stuff on ebay and amazon (buy the OS and get a broken laptop!!...but the laptop is pickup in person only...but we'll mail you the OS disk BS).

My wife is locked to windows. I bought a budget Dell laptop that I'm posting on now via Ubuntu 16.04 but it drives her (read: me) crazy when she tried to use it. So I want to restore the old one. She only uses it for email and web browsing.

Thanks for any recommendations!

HP G6-1D60US

StoneFox

Mitch:

I would check and make sure the back of the motherboard is not making contact anywhere such as an unused standoff or a backplate. I had that issue before and contact through a standoff was the reason.

Is it only like that during boot? If you pull up a black screen on your computer does it show those same lines?

If it's just the monitor those are somewhat easy to replace and depending on the screen and connector yours uses would only cost around 150$ or so to buy one. If it's the GPU though hope it's under warranty.

Only seemed to be on boot. Hasn't happened besides that one day though so who knows.

Not sure if I'd still be under warranty or not: laptop is a bit over a year old now, but I forget how long the warranty was supposed to be for on MSI models. Not tampered with or repaired otherwise though (sticker you have to remove/drill through on the bottom that "breaks warranty" is still there.)

Afrikan

Your SD card is formatted as ExFAT, which WebOS doesn't support. You'd have to format it to FAT32 for it to work, or just copy the files to a FAT32 or NTFS USB drive.

Will try this..but man.. these 4K 60fps videos take up so much space I don't know how I'll move them around, to format this sd card.

But maybe I can just get a Passport portable Harddrive and put all my videos the there. That was my initial plan anyway when I got the camera.

Can yall recommend any good ones. I hear the passport drives are the best deals to try to get. There was a sale on a 4TB one I missed.

Eitherway thanks for the responses so far.

Top Bottom