• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tecmo Classic Arcade impressions and screens

DMczaf

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/tecmoclassicarcade/preview_6130075.html

The compilation will feature 11 titles in all. You'll find Tecmo Bowl, Rygar, Star Force, Solomon's Key, Bomb Jack, Tecmo Cup, Pinball Action, Pleiades, Senjyo, Swimmer, and Stratofighter. These games offer a unique tour of Tecmo's roots, as well as a nice map of the evolution of arcade games.

The games look and run fine on the Xbox, even in Classic Arcade's unfinished state. The visuals are all on par with their old-school incarnations and are on full pixelicious display. Though the Xbox isn't being pushed by any stretch of the imagination, we're pleased to see the conversions run well, which admittedly isn't always the case for retro compilations on modern consoles. The same holds true for the audio, which has a simple charm that can't be denied. As far as control goes, it's pretty hard to muck up the simple one- to two-button mechanics of these classic gems. Though Itagaki noted that the team was still fine-tuning the handling of the games, what we played was already good and responsive.

928595_20050729_screen006.jpg
928595_20050729_screen005.jpg
928595_20050729_screen004.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Star Force is still one of the best vert. shooters ever. I didn't actually realize it was Tecmo. I thought it was Tehkan or something.

Izzy

Banned
Stinkles said:
Star Force is still one of the best vert. shooters ever.

True.

Stinkles said:
I didn't actually realize it was Tecmo. I thought it was Tehkan or something.

Tecmo was Tehkan back in the day. Games like Star Force, Bomb Jack and Solomon's Key were released under the Tehkan monicker.

Top Bottom