• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen charged with killing her boyfriend during a failed YouTube stunt

Dhx

No winners here. He apparently "tested" his stunt by firing at a bookshelf and it didn't penetrate the first book. He deemed this "test" was good enough to take the ill conceived stunt live, and by all accounts kept pressuring her to do it (one would assume reassuring her that he did a "test" and everything would be fine). The book was a hardcover encyclopedia.

On no planet is justice served by prosecuting her for a felony. She and her children will be paying for this the rest of their lives.

I literally just read this on BBC before logging onto Gaf.
Can't even blame social media on this one, the dude who pushed his gf to pull this stunt for followers is simply just a moron.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
im not familiar with guns but ".50 caliber Desert Eagle" from close up to the chest sounds devastating..

A Desert Eagle shoots a .50 round, at least similarly sized to the one shown below (on the far left).
A book could conceivable stop a low caliber bullet like a .22, but not a .50 round.

Edit: Disregard, as others have pointed out, this is the wrong bullet

Rifle_cartridge_comparison.jpg

I know you've been corrected on this already, but come on. It literally tells you under the bullet that it's for a BMG.

Like, this is a .50 revolver "loaded" with .50 BMG:

50BMG-Revolver.jpg

EDIT:

Behold, the .50 BMG desert eagle:

50-BMG-Desert-Eagle-deagle.jpg

and the .50 BMG revolver:

ruger+50+bmg.jpeg

DavidDesu

Annnnnd this is why people should not have easy access to such powerful life destroying weapons as guns. Some people are just fucking stupid. Like idiotic to the core.

Chasing fame so hard they thought this was even remotely a viable idea. Seems like they thought about it for about 3 seconds and just went "yeah, let's try it".

I despair. Hope that kid gets adopted out and never finds out how depressingly idiotic his parents were.

Greddleok

Annnnnd this is why people should not have easy access to such powerful life destroying weapons as guns. Some people are just fucking stupid. Like idiotic to the core. .

I disagree. I'm completely anti-gun, but these people were stupid fame chasers. If it wasn't a gun, it would have been jumping off a high building or setting themselves on fire.

Dunlop

They couldn't have at least checked videos on YouTube?

The video someone linked earlier shows the bullet going through a fridge filled with fruit and the bullet barely being slowed as it continued on its trajectory

TheContact

God damn I feel bad for this family. Yes they are fucking idiots but it says she had her first kid at 15 that can't be easy

A DE can take out a car engine I'm not sure why they thought a book would stop it. RIP

Ya, there is no way a book is going to even slow down a .50. Even when they test body armor it's generally rated for at least 5 meters away. The level IIIA is supposed to be able to stop a .44. So that would be somewhat compared about to it.

Theonik

Reading the article she claims he showed her a book the bullet did not penetrate so they did try this before shooting at him. Or at least that is what is being claimed. I wonder if it was the same firearm and if so what book?

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I know you've been corrected on this already, but come on. It literally tells you under the bullet that it's for a BMG.

Like, this is a .50 revolver "loaded" with .50 BMG:

50BMG-Revolver.jpg

There are a couple of .50 BMG pistols out there, but they're typically one-offs either as tech demonstrators or made because they can, damnit. (the best reason)

Like the Thunder .50 BMG, meant as a concept to show off the manufacturer's recoil dampening tech (since otherwise fitting a 50BMG round unsupported would pulverise your wrist):

thunder-50-bmg-handgun-silvercore-firearms-training-bc-1.jpg

Im sorry, how high do you have to be too think shooting someone from a foot away, with a god damn desert eagle of all armaments, would be ok??? Even with the utmost care and supervision, that's unbelievably dangerous

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
No winners here. He apparently "tested" his stunt by firing at a bookshelf and it didn't penetrate the first book. He deemed this "test" was good enough to take the ill conceived stunt live, and by all accounts kept pressuring her to do it (one would assume reassuring her that he did a "test" and everything would be fine). The book was a hardcover encyclopedia.

On no planet is justice served by prosecuting her for a felony. She and her children will be paying for this the rest of their lives.

So weird how some are trying to paint her as a victim here. She didnt murder him, but outside of some major revelation this is clearly some type of negligent homicide.

We all have things we look back on when we were younger and regret. Stupid decisions, foolish words, woeful accidents that were learning lessons of "well shit... I'll never do THAT again."

Now imagine this girl in her 40s thinking about "when I had that one boyfriend who wanted me to shoot a book in front of his chest with a .50 cal Double Eagle hand cannon and it killed him".

Jesus Christ...

If you're going to try this, at least use an Ayn Rand novel. Not because of thickness, but because nobody can get through that unreadable slop she put out.

But this is kinda sad, here. It's truly a lose-lose situation that shouldn't have happened.

Dunlop

Now imagine this girl in her 40s thinking about "when I had that one boyfriend who wanted me to shoot a book in front of his chest with a .50 cal Double Eagle hand cannon and it killed him".

Jesus Christ...
It's not just her boyfriend, he's the father of her kids

ODDI

Imagine if he somewhat wasn't hurt, what would of been the next "Prank"

SHOOTING MY 3 YR OLD KID PRANK!!!!

I completely agree with this. No reason to prosecute, it only creates victims here of people who are feeling enough grief and regret as it is. It will only destroy more lives. Manslaughter should be reserved for people who were not a willing participant in the stupidity.

Imagine if he somewhat wasn't hurt, what would of been the next "Prank"

SHOOTING MY 3 YR OLD KID PRANK!!!!

He was a grown adult who willingly consented to the idiotic thing that got him killed.

zeemumu

There are a couple of .50 BMG pistols out there, but they're typically one-offs either as tech demonstrators or made because they can, damnit. (the best reason)

Like the Thunder .50 BMG, meant as a concept to show off the manufacturer's recoil dampening tech (since otherwise fitting a 50BMG round unsupported would pulverise your wrist):

That looks like a Super Scope

I want this for home defense.

Griss

somewhat unrelated question, but since when is a 19-yo still a teen?

This, uh... well, you see... a 'teenager' or 'teen' is so-called because the number of their age ends in 'teen'. The number 'nineteen' ends in 'teen'.

Honestly I must be misunderstanding what you're getting at here.

Violet_0

Banned
This, uh... well, you see... a 'teenager' or 'teen' is so-called because the number of their age ends in 'teen'. The number 'nineteen' ends in 'teen'.

Honestly I must be misunderstanding what you're getting at here.

because you'd be an adult at age 18

Top Bottom