• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen charged with killing her boyfriend during a failed YouTube stunt

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I mean, the idea for the stunt is already incredulously stupid as it is, but a Desert-goddamn-Eagle against a book?

Rival

Gold Member
Christ I couldn't imagine trying to shoot a .50 BMG out of a pistol. I think it would knock your head off.
Rifle_cartridge_comparison.jpg

Wow. Wtf...

Definitely a good candidate to own a deagle. Do gun stores or anyone selling firearms even bother checking the people attempting to buy them? Why do gun related deaths nearly always stem from people of a seemingly low intelligence?

This is the same country that still refuses to move forward on background checks after Sandy Hook.

Defuser

Shooting a book with a Desert Eagle is fine.....if you place it down and move away from it.

But actually holding the book while asking someone to shoot it is the mindblowing dumbest thing. I can't fathom what is this guy thinking when he asked that.

ISOM

Shooting a book with Desert Eagle is fine.

But actually holding the book while asking someone to shoot it is the mindblowing dumbest thing. I can't fathom what is this guy thinking when he asked that.

Gotta do it for the views man. That's what I assume is the reason behind most of these attention seeking youtube vids.

This is one of those times where I see the over zealous "justice" system going too far. Unless the investigators found strong evidence of foul play, take away her guns, ban her from guns, and move on.

This shit's gonna haunt her for the rest of her life, do we need to throw in punishment as well? Isn't killing the father of her unborn child enough? Yes, its possible she did it intentionally, but there's a case here regardless, and I could easily see an aggressive county pushing the charge, which isn't unusual.

lawnchair

Banned
This is one of those times where I see the over zealous "justice" system going too far. Unless the investigators found strong evidence of foul play, take away her guns, ban her from guns, and move on.

This shit's gonna haunt her for the rest of her life, do we need to throw in punishment as well? Isn't killing the father of her unborn child enough? Yes, its possible she did it intentionally, but there's a case here regardless, and I could easily see an aggressive county pushing the charge, which isn't unusual.

if she's in prison maybe she can't have any more children? probably a net benefit for society..

Wow. Wtf...

Definitely a good candidate to own a deagle. Do gun stores or anyone selling firearms even bother checking the people attempting to buy them? Why do gun related deaths nearly always stem from people of a seemingly low intelligence?

The litmus test in most states is:

"Are you convicted of a felony? Or have an order of protection against you?"

"Did a judge ever order you to a mental hospital?"

"Do you have money?"

Answer those three correctly and "Here's your gun!"

No. Sorry. A grown adult should know not to do this. Doing that killed someone. She should go to jail.

Try her as an adult.

The litmus test in most states is:

"Are you convicted of a felony? Or have an order of protection against you?"

"Did a judge ever order you to a mental hospital?"

"Do you have money?"

Answer those three correctly and "Here's your gun!"

There is also an FBI background check required if firearm sold by Federal Firearms License holder and MN requires a permit to purchase a handgun from a FFL and you must be 21 to purchase.

Velikost

lmao @ all these people on a gaming forum not knowing about the Desert Eagle.

Kind of crazy you could be in possession of a Desert Eagle (or any firearm for that matter) and not know the fucking power it has. And these guys had two kids, smh

I'd make a snide comment and joke about how the two of them seem to lack a brain cell each, but the real victims will be the kids, both the toddler and the unborn. And especially the toddler if she was there to witness the terrible incident, or just has to be told somehow that she will never see her dad again and may be separated from her mother for a bit because her parents were playing stupid games and won stupid prizes.

Is this also what our generation has been reduced to? The tantalising smell of more Youtube clicks and subs so they decide...hey, let's aim a fucking handcannon at another person at practically point blank range with what may as well be tissue paper as the only defence for all the good it does. Jesus wept.

This is an argument against giving random people guns, not individuals being stupid. All humans are dumb as fuck individually. But take a whole gaggle and give them time, and they can be almost kinda smart. Kinda.

Ok, listen: no matter the country, the key to the law is

Ignorantia juris non excusat

If you can't tell you're gonna kill a person by firing a handcannon through a book at point blank range, it's your problem, you're a killer. This isn't like "let's throw a pair of scissors in the air whoops it stuck through the eye and it killed him", it's a goddamn cannon.

It's not the ignorance that changes the situation, it's the coercion. She should've ran out the door when he made that suggestion. I guess the manslaughter charge is deserved but that should definitely be taken into consideration and hopefully she'll be given a light sentence.

It's not the ignorance that changes the situation, it's the coercion. She should've ran out the door when he made that suggestion. I guess the manslaughter charge is deserved but that should definitely be taken into consideration and hopefully she'll be given a light sentence.

yup! She's ignorant, they're dumb, but knowing she killed the one she loves and the father of her children, it's an already hard burden to live with, the punishment is enough IMO... why would you want to throw something on top of that like jail? It helps nobody

Gotta do it for the views man. That's what I assume is the reason behind most of these attention seeking youtube vids.

That's it exactly, according to the aunt of the deceased who tried to convince him against doing it. He said he wanted them to get famous.

Well, he's famous now.

How do you even explain that to your kids when they're old enough.

I cant imagine she will, that's probably a situation where a lie is better for her and the kids mental health... at least this would be the case before the digital age. Chances are the kid finds out or gets told by classmates.

televator

Sometimes I really do think we need to bust down some people's doors and take thier guns away. Confiscate arms not weed.

Her name is actually Monalisa, well alright then.

I met one other girl with that name in my whole life. So the thread title made me kinda think it was that same girl. heh

The Bible, if you really believe.

This is a story where someone died... But here I am having a sensible chuckle.

kmax

This is exaclty the reason why idiots have no business having access to lethal and deadly firearms.

If you can't respect firearms and recognise that they are DEADLY that needs careful, serious and rigid safety procedures, you have absolutely no business owning a gun. If you're not a responsible gun owner, then you are a risk.

When is it time for idiots, terrorists and madmen to not have access to this shit anymore. Let's not even get into the gun show loophole. Enough is enough.

Mr. Sam

One person thinking this is a good idea, maybe I can understand. Two people, that's stretching. According to the BBC article, there were nearly thirty onlookers and not one person said, "Wait, but aren't you only supposed to fire a gun at things you want to die?"

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Social media is the end of the world. Did people drive skateboards on top of skyscrapers or shoot at impenetrable books before 2000? I don't think they did, because if you can't share your experience half the motivation is gone.

Erv

One person thinking this is a good idea, maybe I can understand. Two people, that's stretching. According to the BBC article, there were nearly thirty onlookers and not one person said, "Wait, but aren't you only supposed to fire a gun at things you want to die?"
Man what an awful thing to witness if true...and how the hell do you not intervene

besada

Banned
Social media is the end of the world. Did people drive skateboards on top of skyscrapers or shoot at impenetrable books before 2000? I don't think they did, because if you can't share your experience half the motivation is gone.

They totally did. When I was 19, my friend John, who'd just come back from the first Gulf War -- without a scratch -- convinced his buddy to shoot him, while wearing a vest. Which probably would have been fine, except the buddy shot him in the shoulder.

There may be more people having "hold muh beer" moments now than there used to be because of the ubiquity of cameras, but we've always had a big stupid, self-destructive streak.

Kneefoil

Did they not think to test how many books/pages a bullet could tear through before putting themselves in danger? Even then this would've been a stupid thing to do.

Edit: Never mind. Saw in the article that the guy did apparently test it. But like I said, it was still a very stupid thing to do. The circumstances of the shootings might have been different, and there obviously were not enough pages that the bullet didn't go through to make this stunt safe. Oh and it also says that it was a different book, and not another copy of the same book. Goddammit...

Top Bottom