• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen charged with killing her boyfriend during a failed YouTube stunt

JABEE

I am not sure how she was charged, assuming they believe her story (which, since its on video she probably has some pretty compelling evidence to back up). If he asked her to shoot him, and they both agreed it would be fine, and both believed that, wouldn't this be accidental?

If a magician was killed in the performance of a trick, would his or her assistant be culpable, assuming the magician accepted the risk?

Not saying this guy was David Copperfield, but wouldn't the same principal apply?

Or is this more a William Burroughs type situation?

Magicians don't actually discharge a firearm.

God damn why the fuck wouldn't you know, test if a book could withstand .50 cal round?

Actually no, why the fuck would you think any kind of book could withstand that?

No joke, why on earth didn't they test this?

We did that once in college at a friends place. Had some old, worthless text books we shot. Even a .223 went though several.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm not American - but a Desert E is heavy ordinance fire-arm. Not exactly standard issue or hunting weapon. But if it's something you pick up off the shelf, then your country is ......damn

People use rifles for hunting. It's weak by rifle standards.
To give you an idea how weak...
It's considered a cannon by handgun standards at up to 1,800 ft.lb. of muzzle energy. The most powerful production rifle produces 38,000 ft.lb. of muzzle energy.

To give some people the idea of the stopping and penetration power of a Desert Eagle

https://youtu.be/hNyujokAzwc

If you can't watch.. The bullet goes straight through not only a motorcycle helmet.. But it can go straight through a refrigerator. This gun is meant to stop a car by shooting its engine block.

Im sorry that the guy died but they are morons to think a book is going to stop this bullet

Stasis

Holy shit. I wouldn't try this with a thick ass book and a .22 I'm sure it could stop.

A fucking Desert Eagle?

YouTube channel. You're somewhat net savvy. I mean, you can work a Google account. I'm sure you can fucking GOOGLE THAT SHIT before you do it.

It's sad, yes, but that's so dumb. Such a dumb way to risk a life for views/subscribers. We're going to see more and more shit like this. People taking unnecessary risks and not doing proper research in the name of subscribers and potential YT fame.

RIP buddy =/

zeemumu

I am not sure how she was charged, assuming they believe her story (which, since its on video she probably has some pretty compelling evidence to back up). If he asked her to shoot him, and they both agreed it would be fine, and both believed that, wouldn't this be accidental?

She was charged with manslaughter, not murder. Accidental murder basically falls under involuntary manslaughter

Nydius

Gold Member
Seems fishy. That tweet reads like they new this was going to happen.

That Tweet, along with the fact that she refused to do the stunt previously until he kept badgering her, is what's going to hurt her most during trial. That tweet alone pretty much shows that she knew it was reckless and was trying to absolve herself of responsibility beforehand.

Nowise10

I also can't imagine how brutal the video is of this considering it was recorded. From the videos people have posted of Eagles getting shot, I almost expect that a good chunk of the guys chest exploded out, and i'm sure everyone's reaction afterwards are disturbing. Probably a really fucked up video.

Ploid 3.0

To give some people the idea of the stopping and penetration power of a Desert Eagle

If you can't watch.. The bullet goes straight through not only a motorcycle helmet.. But it can go straight through a refrigerator. This gun is meant to stop a car by shooting its engine block.

Im sorry that the guy died but they are morons to think a book is going to stop this bullet

Wow, "A 50 caliber handgun, for when there is a burglar behind the refrigerator... at your neighbor's house." Did they pick up the DE thinking it was a BB gun?

She was charged with manslaughter, not murder. Accidental murder basically falls under involuntary manslaughter

She's been charged under manslaughter (2nd degree, whatever that means for this jurisdiction). It's not involuntary because her actions were intentional. It's not murder because she didn't have the specific intent to kill.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

Holy crap. That bullet must have exploded him. The girl must have been so scared obviously before firing, but after impact. Terrible terrible situation. Cant believe they did this.

I think to say why didn't they test it first misses the point entirely. Shouldn't have been done. Period. This is why. Most gun related YouTube channels are smart enough to shoot various inanimate objects with a safe backstop. This is tragic, extremely stupid, and entirely avoidable. RIP and hope the justice system doesn't crack down too hard in this case.

Whompa02

Wow. Wtf...

Definitely a good candidate to own a deagle. Do gun stores or anyone selling firearms even bother checking the people attempting to buy them? Why do gun related deaths nearly always stem from people of a seemingly low intelligence?

I'm not American - but a Desert E is heavy ordinance fire-arm. Not exactly standard issue or hunting weapon. But if it's something you pick up off the shelf, then your country is ......damn
Well, they cost like five grand, and a $200 9mm leaves you just as dead.

III-V

This guy was absolutely destroyed 1500 ft-lbs to the chest from his pregnant wife and and its all on video. Thats going to be one to tell the grandkids.

Top Bottom