• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen charged with killing her boyfriend during a failed YouTube stunt

I can see it being a tough call. On one hand you could maybe argue that she legitimately didn't think the stunt could result in his death (young people thinking their invincible and all that), and that she's not likely a danger to anyone else.

But man, it's such an extreme display of stupidity it's hard to imagine just letting her go. Absolutely any reasonable person with an ounce of sense knows pointing a gun at someone from a foot away and pulling the trigger could result in that person being shot. I would assume she does a year in the slammer at least.

Yeah, I never said let her go. Just that she deserves a lighter sentence than manslaughter woild typically earn, because she was partially encouraged to do it by the victim, so there's shared (and therefore diminished) responsibility.

zeemumu

In her defense, he allegedly showed her a book from another attempt where it had stopped the bullet. She seems to only be guilty of believing her boyfriend.

dont_try_at_home_futurama.gif

Why would you take a video for something like this at face value without even attempting a test run without a person behind the book?

BasilZero

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................
WTF?

edit:
sub-buzz-25452-1498672024-8.png

my god :(

Had to read it a few times, each time as heartbreaking as the last.

Cannot imagine what the families involved are going through....stuff like this are nightmares...

Don't care what people say...that's someone's loved one that is gone....

Darkangel

Trying to stop a gunshot with a book is stupid.

Trying to stop a .50 cal gunshot with a book is on a whole other level...

Jedi2016

Doing stupid stunts for publicity is whatever.

Not at least testing your stunt to see if the book would actually work before attempting it on yourself, is just stupid. And this is what happens when stupid meets stupid.

rpg_fan

Keep in mind a few things:

Shooting anyone under most circumstance isn't legal.
Assisting suicide isn't legal.
Being ignorant of these things isn't a useful defense. (Unless you're rich, I guess)

On the plus side for her, she's a white female. She's got a good chance of going free.

Keep in mind a few things:

Shooting anyone under most circumstance isn't legal.
Assisting suicide isn't legal.
Being ignorant of these things isn't a useful defense. (Unless you're rich, I guess)

On the plus side for her, she's a white female. She's got a good chance of going free.

Well not scot free, but mostly just probation and MAYBE 1 or 2 years in jail.

Syder

If you're 22 and don't know that a Desert Eagle will obliterate pretty much anything put in front of it... Jesus Christ.

Tcab96

If you're 22 and don't know that a Desert Eagle will obliterate pretty much anything put in front of it... Jesus Christ.

Nah, 21, don't know shit about guns, and I didn't know that until I read your comment.

All you have to do is know not to point a gun at somebody and pull the trigger with just a book to stop a bullet, even assuming you hit the book.

I feel bad for all involved though.

Just watched some bits of their vlogs. They're very family centered. Seems like an honest mistake. What a tragedy.
Pretty alarming as to what extent Youtubers will go to for more views/subs.

Bold One

A Desert E isn't your run of the mill side arm it's a fucking handcannon.

Where do you even get your hands on one of those?

so1337

Whether they did a "test run" beforehand or not is beside the point.

Don't point a gun at a person. Period.

This is why gun culture in the US is fucked. People are too goddamn comfortable around guns.

Nah, 21, don't know shit about guns, and I didn't know that until I read your comment.

All you have to do is know not to point a gun at somebody and pull the trigger with just a book to stop a bullet, even assuming you hit the book.

I feel bad for all involved though.
Let me out it better.

It's impossible to hold one of these and not realize that shit is a fucking cannon.

What would a single hardcover book do to stop a .50 caliber round? At best it would stop the person from reading the book...

It's like this BS CSI episode I saw one time where a hitman had to kill a sleeping dude and used a desert Eagle to shoot him, while muffling the sound by shooting through a teddy bear. The explanation given was he had a lot of interwoven fibres or something.

A Desert E isn't your run of the mill side arm it's a fucking handcannon.

Where do you even get your hands on one of those?

You can get them at any store that sells handguns. You're right in that it is a handcannon and not fit to be a typical side arm but people still have them for range shooting.

I'd like to know what guns stores you go too.

This is a trade show gun that runs expensive.

There are two in the display case at my local gun shop. Not to mention that you can have them shipped in if you want one.

zeemumu

Whether they did a "test run" beforehand or not is beside the point.

Don't point a gun at a person. Period.

This is why gun culture in the US is fucked. People are too goddamn comfortable around guns.

A test run might've saved his life.

Top Bottom