• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen charged with killing her boyfriend during a failed YouTube stunt

LQX

How are they on YouTube and have not seen at least one of the hundreds of videos showing a bullet penetrating every fucking thing imaginable?

CREMSteve

This is horribly sad. I feel for that little girl, and the unborn child never knowing it's father. :(

Why must people be so stupid?

cirrhosis

Damn, some serious meanspirited comments in this thread.

I love me some Schadenfreude but I can't take pleasure in this tragedy

This is horribly sad. I feel for that little girl, and the unborn child never knowing it's father. :(

Why must people be so stupid?

Oh fuck me, the children were probably watching weren't they? Looking through their youtube, they usually feature their kids in the video.

Nydius

Gold Member
My dad was a gun nut so I grew up around guns, learned how to shoot everything from rifles to high end handguns. The one gun I walked away scared as shit of after firing one magazine was his DE .50AE. Seeing one in photos is nothing compared to holding one with a full magazine. IIRC, fully loaded the damn thing is nearly 10 pounds. That, alone, should have made them realize that the book had NO chance.

That and the GIGANTIC FUCKING BULLET.

DrSlek

Perez, who is pregnant, told police that Ruiz wanted to make a YouTube video of her shooting a book while he was holding it, as he believed that the book would stop the bullet,

And...they didn't test this theory beforehand?

night814

Testing would have required some sort of scientific thought process between these two people, which they obviously lacked. They wanted to be famous on YouTube and this was a part of thier plan. The killing is more straight up negligent than stupid, everyone is taught in schools in the US now not to play with guns.

StayDead

If you're going to do something as stupid as this, why not do it on your arm at least? You're still screwed but at least if it goes wrong you have at least a small chance of survival.

Crazy.

zeemumu

Testing would have required some sort of scientific thought process between these two people, which they obviously lacked. They wanted to be famous on YouTube and this was a part of thier plan. The killing is more straight up negligent than stupid, everyone is taught in schools in the US now not to play with guns.

I don't think you need to put that much thought into seeing if any gun can shoot through a book before you decide to entrust your life with it.

Bold One

Any gun store?

You can get them at any store that sells handguns. You're right in that it is a handcannon and not fit to be a typical side arm but people still have them for range shooting.

There are two in the display case at my local gun shop. Not to mention that you can have them shipped in if you want one.

I'm not American - but a Desert E is heavy ordinance fire-arm. Not exactly standard issue or hunting weapon. But if it's something you pick up off the shelf, then your country is ......damn

Piggus

I'm not American - but a Desert E is heavy ordinance fire-arm. Not exactly standard issue or hunting weapon. But if it's something you pick up off the shelf, then your country is ......damn

"Heavy ordinance weapon" lol. It's a novelty gun with no real practical purpose other than maybe hunting if using certain versions of it. It's not available in most gun stores and generally only shows up at gun shows or online retailers. It's also incredibly expensive and generally just owned by collectors.

Something like the $350 compact, concealable Smith & Wesson M&P is a lot more likely to be used in a crime.

Nydius

Gold Member
"Heavy ordinance weapon" lol. It's a novelty gun with no real practical purpose other than maybe hunting if using certain versions of it. It's not available in most gun stores and generally only shows up at gun shows or online retailers. It's also incredibly expensive and generally just owned by collectors.

Something like the $350 compact, concealable Smith & Wesson M&P is a lot more likely to be used in a crime.

Yep, pretty much all of this. Although here in VA you can get them in gun shops, at least the 44 Mag variety (and then all you have to do is buy the 50 AE conversion kit). But the one my father owned he couldn't even fire it at most ranges. If he wanted to use it he had to go to private rural grounds, an open air licensed range, or a military or police run range.

It's impractical to the extreme. 5 pounds empty, 10 pounds full, and too big to be carried regularly. Most (non-gaming) people wouldn't even know what a Desert Eagle is if not for Hollywood.

hobozero

I am not sure how she was charged, assuming they believe her story (which, since its on video she probably has some pretty compelling evidence to back up). If he asked her to shoot him, and they both agreed it would be fine, and both believed that, wouldn't this be accidental?

If a magician was killed in the performance of a trick, would his or her assistant be culpable, assuming the magician accepted the risk?

Not saying this guy was David Copperfield, but wouldn't the same principal apply?

Or is this more a William Burroughs type situation?

Darkspiret

Neo Member
As said its a novelty handgun and really serves no purpose other than collecting and hunting. Their very heavy, very large, expensive, recoil like a motherfucker, ammo is about $2 a shot (versus about 16cents for a 9mm bullet) and because their a semi-auto large caliber handgun they tend to jam more. Their not practical in almost any sense and no one uses these things other than a range gun or for moderate hunting (i know a friends uncle uses his for boar hunting).

Which kinda makes this whole story even more perplexing. You dont buy a .50AE DE without knowing what its about. Its entire reputation is based on POWER.

night814

I don't think you need to put that much thought into seeing if any gun can shoot through a book before you decide to entrust your life with it.
Agreed, just saying what I said because a lot of people were saying "how didn't they test this". It's obvious why you shouldn't and clearly these folks had no clue what the fuck they were doing.

A shot of 44 Magnum and my first thought was "no thanks".

Trying to hold that thing steady to get off a decent shot was next to Impossible for me.

The one advantage those big guns have, once you run out of bullets you could pistol-whip the fuck out of somebody. So God damn heavy.

Nydius

Gold Member
I am not sure how she was charged, assuming they believe her story (which, since its on video she probably has some pretty compelling evidence to back up). If he asked her to shoot him, and they both agreed it would be fine, and both believed that, wouldn't this be accidental?

She was charged with second degree manslaughter, which makes sense as manslaughter is usually the "accidental" death charge when the accident was caused by a reckless act or reckless endangerment of life. According to the story, she was reluctant before and he kept goading her until she agreed. That reluctance will probably come back to bite her as it's clear she understood the gravity of the situation but finally decided to go ahead with it anyway.

It'll be hard for the defense to argue that she didn't understand the reckless nature of what she was doing.

She was charged with second degree manslaughter, which makes sense as manslaughter is usually the "accidental" death charge when the accident was caused by a reckless act or reckless endangerment of life. According to the story, she was reluctant before and he kept goading her until she agreed. That reluctance will probably come back to bite her as it's clear she understood the gravity of the situation but finally decided to go ahead with it anyway.

It'll be hard for the defense to argue that she didn't understand the reckless nature of what she was doing.

It's arguable one at that age could be reluctant for thinking it's a bad idea without realizing how bad that idea it really is.

Grassy

Yes. A Desert Eagle will destroy you.

Screenshot-2015-11-06-16.42.17.png

That was the first video I checked out, hand-cannon indeed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVuRLztDljY

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
As said its a novelty handgun and really serves no purpose other than collecting and hunting. Their very heavy, very large, expensive, recoil like a motherfucker, ammo is about $2 a shot (versus about 16cents for a 9mm bullet) and because their a semi-auto large caliber handgun they tend to jam more. Their not practical in almost any sense and no one uses these things other than a range gun or for moderate hunting (i know a friends uncle uses his for boar hunting).

Which kinda makes this whole story even more perplexing. You dont buy a .50AE DE without knowing what its about. Its entire reputation is based on POWER.

They're**

I'm sorry but seeing it so many times triggered the fuck outta me.

jts

...hate me...
At least it was his idea. Sad and dumb as it is I could see it getting even dumber and sadder if he wanted to do that stunt pointing to the pregnant belly instead.

Still pretty sad, that kid will grow without a father for nothing.

JABEE

Keep in mind a few things:

Shooting anyone under most circumstance isn't legal.
Assisting suicide isn't legal.
Being ignorant of these things isn't a useful defense. (Unless you're rich, I guess)

On the plus side for her, she's a white female. She's got a good chance of going free.

Also, pregnant. Plaxico Burress got two years for shooting himself in the dick.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
As dumb as it is to even consider doing this at all, that they didn't even test it in any capacity beforehand seems ridiculous. The fact that people with this lack of sense have access to guns is a bit scary.

Top Bottom