• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan |OT| Heroes in a Bargain Bin

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Online is solid and way more fun than solo. and normal is too easy for my taste. I want to unlock super hard already for that true platinum feel.

Kawngi

Quite bummed out on the game, was really looking forward to Platinum doing a TMNT game too .___.

Just no soul or the same gameplay I've come to expect from them.

NolbertoS

I'm now gonn wait for the inevitable $9.99 bargain price on Black Friday for this game. Was somewhat hyped for a new TMNT, let alone PlAtinum games, but game will be known as Stain on Platinum games quality.

jwk94

I had no clue this wasn't $15 (or even $20). I was already on the fence, but something higher than $20 is a solid no for me, especially with no local coop.

Lijik

Wingnut is probably the most annoying and hardest boss to fight.

I thought he was a rad fight and the easiest one to solo actually. Just stay back and toss shurikens while the AI turtles handle the up close stuff, and then rush him when he's dizzy

Karak

My review
Rated it a Wait for Sale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7LCFVClYKU

Honestly some stuff I like but the gfx both locked at 30 and also the bland textures hurt it as did the gameplay and the fairly limited move set you could go out into battle with. Sound was ok, music was fine but thats just me, and I enjoyed the voicework.
But funfactor took a hell of a beating. It just became unfun quickly despite learning that MP was amazingly better than solo. Like by leaps. It doesn't mean its good enough for full price.

Tizoc

I'm having issues with playing this game with a PS4 controller plugged into my PC. It doesn't recognize it. Guilty Gear 2 and MGSV have no problem. Is this a common thing?

Download Inputmapper.
It's what I use so my lappy treats the PS4 controller as an X1 controller.

JoeFenix

My experience with the game was pretty much under ideal conditions, jumping in with 4 friends who are fans of action games and playing on Very Hard.

Honestly this is a game that needs to be played on higher difficulties with 4 players in co-op to be enjoyed. The bosses are easily the highlight here and can prove quite challenging on Very Hard, requiring teamwork and communication to bring down. Some of these fights were pretty memorable, especially when secret bosses got thrown into the mix! They're a mixture of action game boss fight design with mmo raid sensibilities and it works pretty well. Most attacks are appropriately telegraphed and there was a nice sense of escalation as the fights went on (and they last quite a while on Very Hard, upwards of 20 minutes isn't uncommon) leading to exciting moments where you're the last turtle standing and the team is counting on you to stay alive until they can rejoin the fight. I don't want to hype these up too much but going into the game with quite low expectations we were all pleasantly surprised with how much fun we were having.

Playing the game solo is excruciatingly boring and frustrating considering how inept the AI is at self preservation but it's a solid coop game with buddies. It also has a fair amount of issues (level design, objectives, the fact that it's terrible when played solo) and certainly doesn't have a ton of depth in terms of combat system but we mostly had a blast especially with the boss fights.

With the right mindset and a solid group of friends there's some real fun to be had here but I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone wanting to play solo. You can tell that it's super low budget and certainly isn't a classic by any means but it's also not a total stinker either. It will be interesting to see if other groups end up having a similar experience with the game or if we're just the weirdo outliers here.

Firecrest

Holy hell, I'm so glad I decided to Redbox this game instead of buying it. I'll admit that I did have a little bit of fun, but only after going back through stages in co-op with stronger ninjitsu and better charms (think collecting better equipment in games like EDF... sorta).

Damn... I wish someone would let a different team at Platinum take another crack at this and deliver us a proper TMNT action/adventure game.

SilentRob

This honestly feels like a game that was put together in a year, at most. The way it lacks any real campaign and instead just presents you with empty maps and random events at enemys suggest as much. Even the best developers in the world can't do much with too little time and resources.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Co-op play is always going to be messy with a Platinum combat system, but nobody would have accepted a TMNT game without it.

Bayo 2 and Wonderful 101 both have co-op modes and just mimicking either of those would have been preferable to what they've done with TMNT.

Hell, TMNT is pretty much just a crappier version of Anarchy Reigns, so maybe they should have just outright repeated what they did with that game instead of turning it into this... thing.

Yeah at 20 bucks this would be perfect, and itd be easier to get friends on board to play in multiplayer
With the muddled response to this game, it looks like I'll be holding out for any potential Black Friday deals that knock it close to budget range. PlatinumGames has been undeniably spreading themselves thin with "Transformers", "TMNT" and both "Star Fox" co-productions launching within the past year. All the top-tier talent has been relegated to "Nier" and "Scalebound" understandably as their blockbuster efforts, but their tent-pole side ventures have been stumbling from their lack of polish in the core mechanics which has been their acclaimed hallmark. I was really looking forward to this project as an immediate purchase, too. It'll still be the first game in the series to land in my posession since "Turtles in Time" and I'm sure Platinum will provide some flashes on entertainment from my perspective. Heck, I received some moderate enjoyment from the "Godzilla" release last summer despite being fully aware it was badly designed and bafflingly overpriced at launch. Obviously, "Mutants" is a much better production than that piece so I'm banking on it being a mediocre slasher that burns an afternoon with faint satiafaction. But full price for a three-hour adventure is the kicker for me. I'll place my cash toward "Transformers" in the meantime hoping the combat will hold my interest even though I haven't cared too much for the property since the 80s animated series from my childhood.

Experien

I played for almost two hours and I've quite enjoyed it. Turtle love, fun button mashing/beat'em up game, looks good, plays smoothly, and there is a little depth if you want to think a bit more about it.

Not sure how people are saying this is the worst thing ever.

I played for almost two hours and I've quite enjoyed it. Turtle love, fun button mashing/beat'em up game, looks good, plays smoothly, and there is a little depth if you want to think a bit more about it.

Well, for one thing, if you've played it for 2 hours you've almost beaten it lol. You think the level and mission design aren't worthy of criticism? They both look awful in the playthroughs I've watched.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Nobody is actually saying that.

I'm saying it's the worst game that Platinum has made which is quite different from saying worst thing ever. It's just a mediocre game which I found boring to play with very little content and variety. It's serviceable but not really inspiring. Compared to the rest of Platinum's output, it's a lot less interesting.

That said, while I do not like it, it's still competent enough that I'm sure some folks will get into it. If you're cool with a repetitive brawler and don't mind the lack of level design it should work.

Did you get through the sewer level yet, by the way? That was the point when I really questioned what I was doing. It was just level after level of boring mazes with zero interesting action until you finally reach a boss.

I suppose the reasons it really didn't work for me stem from some of its influences.

First, progression is tied to completely random events. The maps themselves are inconsequential here, you just follow an objective marker and complete these events. Most of the events are things like defending items, holding a button on an object, or rolling around on a giant bag of money. It feels like busy work - an uninspired side quest in an open world game.

The other thing is the combat - I could deal with mashy, but it feels as if there is no feedback. It truly does feel more like an RPG or MMO style game than an action title and I really dislike those types of games. It's very different from typical Platinum games, I feel.

So that all kinda rubbed me the wrong way in addition to the frame-rate.

I was crushed because I specifically requested to cover the game even going so far as to buy it myself in order to do so and it really let me down. If you go into it NOW after reading bad impressions you actually might get more out of it due to those expectations but I mistakenly expected a great game after I adored Transformers.

There's no reason low budget titles like these should matter regarding the future of their higher profile franchises.

Guess people really like downfall narratives.

About this. I felt this way initially with the likes of Legend of Korra and Transformers Devastation. Then...well...to be frank, it got old. It seems like that's ALL Platinumgames has become.

Look at the "Developed by Platinum" meme as a symptom of this disease.

I know the cure!

Work with Capcom on DMC & Bayonetta with Hideki Kamiya as director: In return, Kamiya directs RE2 REmake. Would save BOTH companies :D

Rented it yesterday, and can't make it past level 4 without a consistent game breaking bug on PS4. Enjoyed it overall, but definitely have some issues with the repetitive nature of the missions and some less than enjoyable enemy types. Have a hard time justifying it for the full price, but it's been a fun rental. I'll pick it up digitally when it goes on sale for sure.

Amazing OT, one of thest I have ever seen.

Should be getting my PS4 copy tomorrow, looking for co-op partners. If you're interested send me an FR.

PSN: LightningCamaro

No mic but will communicate via messages using PlayStation App.

Edit: Welp, reading back through the topic, I wish I had waited for this a few months.

near

Gold Member
Was really looking forward to picking this up but reading through this thread has been disappointing. Releases here on Friday and I'm not sure I'd pay full price for the described content. :(

So Platinum put out a turd huh?
It's odd because the combat system is not that bad. The gameplay is a mess though. Imagine Spiderman 3 structure but you had to beat a certain number of missions before a boss. So you find yourself stalling for 15 minutes until you get to the real gameplay of bosses.
Edit: That Destructoid review is hit on the nail my opinion of it. He is being generous with 6 hours though, I beat 2 stages in about one hour, so I would have beaten it in around 4-5.

Lijik

It's odd because the combat system is not that bad. The gameplay is a mess though. Imagine Spiderman 3 structure but you had to beat a certain number of missions before a boss. So you find yourself stalling for 15 minutes until you get to the real gameplay of bosses.
Edit: That Destructoid review is hit on the nail my opinion of it.

Korra is similar, not in the structure, but in the way it also has a solid enough combat/movement to play with in a game where everything else doesnt hit the mark

This is somehow the first game I've ever redboxed.

I really want to play it and get a TMNT fix, but can't possibly justify paying $50 for what people are saying ITT.

Lijik

Does anyone know how to find the Super Shredder fight?
Is it just play the last stage on Very Hard like I think

Wrote this as a mini review but pretty much gives my thoughts on the game. Feel there is a bit too much nit picking and high expectations that this would be another over the top action Platinum game when in reality it's just another Turtle brawler that has some of the best TMNT action from any of the games.

The Turtles are back and with them come some dated, if not nostalgia filled moments. Some folks will lead you to believe that the game isn't any good due to it short completion time (3 to 5 hours depending), lack of combos, or diverse enough levels. People like to bring up the classic TMNT arcade game or Turtles in Time (my all time fav turtle game) These games truly were a blast and could be completed in a hour or so. I don't see the issue with a game today that invokes that same style of beat em up brawlers and lasting 3 hours at most as a problem. Of course if you don't like the core gameplay, which is heavily combat based and special move driven, you might find it a bit lacking. Though the move sets you can earn, unlock, and upgrade are for more flashier and deep then any of the previous turtle games. So it's fairly great to be able to switch to the various turtles, use special attacks, switch to another, and so on. Then come the bosses, which have various patterns that only get harder and harder as they begin to flash red as they get closer to death. (a nice node to the original arcade games) These are truly going to test your ability to dodge, move away from signature moves and attack. While the gameplay is decent enough by yourself, the true fun comes when you play with friends, much like the prior arcade games. While lots of folks are disliking this new iteration of Turtles, I honestly think it's one of the best out of the myriad of Turtle games over the last 20 years. If your trying to gauge this title in comparison with the craziness and over the top action games that Platinum games usually does, you might end up disappointed, but if you compare it to older Turtle games and their style, I can't see how folks couldn't enjoy this in comparison.

TwiztidElf

^ I agree with slasher

This isn't the AAA TMNT game that people were hoping PG were going to deliver (myself included).

But it is a 6/10 fun brawler that harks back to the arcade machines, and has heaps of TMNT fan service.
I also believe the games longevity is in time-attack/score-attack.

It is what it is. It is a poor value proposition for most people sure. I wouldn't even attempt to argue against that.
I'm 2 levels away from finishing story mode, and I'm having fun with it.

^ I agree with slasher

This isn't the AAA TMNT game that people were hoping PG were going to deliver (myself included).

But it is a 6/10 fun brawler that harks back to the arcade machines, and has heaps of TMNT fan service.
I also believe the games longevity is in time-attack/score-attack.

It is what it is. It is a poor value proposition for most people sure. I wouldn't even attempt to argue against that.
I'm 2 levels away from finishing story mode, and I'm having fun with it.

Exactly, if compared to the older arcade games, its longer, more robust, flashier, and has a ton of throwbacks to the series in general in style and humor. I wouldn't recommend it for most at the full price if they are not hardcore arcade turtle fans, but people comparing it to the original arcade games as if those are so much better, I don't understand at all nor can I relate to, and I love those games even to this day. If this game is boring, then that means the old arcade games would be boring to you as well today.

Top Bottom