• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan |OT| Heroes in a Bargain Bin

Legendary OT. Very nicely done!

Even though I'm one of the few actually pumped about this game. Sounds like it might have been a cash grab, though, which is always sad :-(

My copy finally arrived. Gonna keep it regardless since 2 friends of mines are picking it up, but let's see if I'll enjoy it as much as I did Korra at least. (Which I did enjoy for it's combat.)

KDC720

Fantastic OT! It's just a shame about these impressions though, Platinum+TMNT should be a slam dunk.

I'll probably pick it up after a substantial price drop, even Korra was well worth a playthrough at a cheap price.

Xbox One digital version update!!!

Not sure if what I did helped or not, but the game doesn't ask to sync anymore and let me play online now. I just uninstalled everything TMNT related and deleted save files, installed everything again (digital copy) and it's working now. Unless it was a perfect timing and they release a fix in a meantime lol

Tizoc

OK there's gotta be a way to unlock the framerate somehow @_@
Furthermore how does Multiplayer work? Seems it unlocks all the stages from the get go?

TMNT started fine until I summoned the rest of the turtles and 2 of them poofed on the other side of a door I needed to open. lol

Then as group fights happened, it made me wonder if I'd even need to use the parry/just defense they teach you in the tutorial. :\

The actual game might be different though, so onward.

Lettuce

So just played the first level on PC on Normal difficulty, while its no anywhere near as technical minded in the combat department as Bayonetta or MGR its more inline with Mad World, i quickly found out that hammering the attack buttons wasn't really effective or enjoyable and the way to attack is more methodical (kind of like the combos in Tekken) playing like this resulted in a much more pleasing experience and was more effective to boot.

I can see the game becoming much more technical if played on hard, as you'll need to actual pay attention to what your doing and counter attack the enemies otherwise if will be game over before you know it. Obviously this isn't going to win any awards but i wouldnt say its a bad game in any regards, i would have to question paying full price for it....but then i would have said the same about Transformers also. Im a big gutted that the PC version is locked to 30fps, are the XB1 and PS4 versions also 30fps?

I think if your a Turtles fan you'll love the art design, characters and banta between the turtles

JMTHEFOX

So just played the first level on PC on Normal difficulty, while its no anywhere near as technical minded in the combat department as Bayonetta or MGR its more inline with Mad World, i quickly found out that hammering the attack buttons wasn't really effective or enjoyable and the way to attack is more methodical (kind of like the combos in Tekken) playing like this resulted in a much more pleasing experience and was more effective to boot.

I can see the game becoming much more technical if played on hard, as you'll need to actual pay attention to what your doing and counter attack the enemies otherwise if will be game over before you know it. Obviously this isn't going to win any awards but i wouldnt say its a bad game in any regards, i would have to question paying full price for it....but then i would have said the same about Transformers also. Im a big gutted that the PC version is locked to 30fps, are the XB1 and PS4 versions also 30fps?

I think if your a Turtles fan you'll love the art design, characters and banta between the turtles
Yes, they are.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Ok so i beat the first 2 bosses. Movement and attack seem fine. Abilities get wonky when you want to use one and then immediately attack afterwords and you use your second ability. made a short video. Found a nice a bug near the middle.

Lijik

The sewer levels are the worst in multiplayer. Theyre so damn long and they inevitably end with one of the sewer lids being borked

Kssio_Aug

I was okay with the graphics and I could be fine with 30 frames per second (besides not ideal with those visuals). However, 3 hours is just bad...

Also, it seems it's not even 3 hours of good action. 3 hours of some action, and lots of boredom. Also the fact you have to navigate through that empty city is terrible!

Okay, did the first level with Bebop - started in hard mode. Phantom magic foot ninja came and wiped me out reaaaal fast haha. The AI is just...bleh. Definitely need friends to yell at instead.

During the actual boss battle, it felt great to time guards and climb on Bebop's back - but that was when the camera agreed with me and when every other turtle was ko'd. Dude takes a heavy pounding with 9 life bikes, yeesh. I'm not a fan of that - especially in single player. I can see with friends it'd be a battle of timing moves and letting each other know where the dude disappears to, let the others know when specials are about to be up, etc.

Having to manage turtle combos and ninjustsu setups by yourself with the AI is not fun at all. I'll give the bebop level another run after tinkering with the ninjustu and charm system. I'm gonna wait til my buddies get their copies to advance further.

The actual fighting is pretty basic, and that's pretty fine for the most part when you remember what number of presses lead into. It's no Transformers Devastation or Legend of Korra in terms of its combat system, but it's just ok.

I think if you like Dynasty Warriors despite its simplicity, you would enjoy this. If this was a 20 dollar title, NEOGAF would be singing it's praises. They just can't justify 50 bucks with a 3 hour campaign.

dlauv

I pre-ordered with the full intent of refunding after getting a couple of hours in.

For some reason Steam got the cool costumes "exclusive" to Gamestop instead of the samurai outfits for pre-ordering.

Refunded anyway. Couldn't last an hour. It felt really weightless and cheap. Any satisfaction that could be derived from the combat was mitigated by it becoming a clusterfuss, and the mission goal of using witcher vision until you stumble upon a mob seemed really poor. It's combat that we've seen before a dozen times and done better, so I didn't really feel like I was missing out or not giving it a chance.

On PC, I couldn't tell at the time if it was 30fps or just the animations. Seemed like a pretty smooth 30 fps.

DPtheGod

Change the title of this OT to:

TMNT Mutants in Manhattan |OT| Where the OT is better than the game!

I played some of it this morning. I got hyped tor this originally based on the fact it gave an enticing vibe, and being from Platinum, it would have amazing gameplay.

Having to return bags of money to distant alleyways, diffuse bombs, protect pizza stands, and glide around Manhattan like a damn Tony Hawk game is nowhere near what I had in mind. I wasn't expecting something on the epic scale of Turtles in Time, but I have always hoped something would at least come within a reasonable gap from it.

This game is boring. I tried multiplayer a few times and each time only found 2-3 rooms, all of which had shitty connections.

I've had this game pre-ordered and paid in full at GameStop since Feb, and they had it back within a few hours of the day.

Riposte

I'm having issues with playing this game with a PS4 controller plugged into my PC. It doesn't recognize it. Guilty Gear 2 and MGSV have no problem. Is this a common thing?

KingBroly

Banned
I'm having issues with playing this game with a PS4 controller plugged into my PC. It doesn't recognize it. Guilty Gear 2 and MGSV have no problem. Is this a common thing?

DS4 doesn't have native PC drivers, so developers either put it in support for it or they don't. Most don't.

You need to use either DS4Windows or InputMapper to make the controller appear as an XInput controller. It should be pretty trivial to setup, especially if wired.

dan2026

Platinum has really gone down in my eyes with this mess.

30fps, I still can't believe it after transformers was a flawless 60.

DryvBy

I was just playing with my brother on Xbox One (so I guess that's fixed) and here's my impressions:

1) Yikes! Those maps are open-empty!
2) The co-op was fun with 4 player, but part of that was fun was in the
3) Battles aren't that fun. At all even on normal because everyone one-hit kills you nearly.
4) Reviving a team mate is a mess. The text is floating on the screen and not over your friends. So it's hard to find where they are.
5) The good? I think the voice acting and the character models are perfect. It's the environments, health of everything, and boring missions that's blah.

If this was a pizza, this is a Little Caesars after hours pizza. I'll try and write a review in the next few days. Such a major let down.

Man the gameplay just is a whole bunch of nothing.
Too easy enemies, too hard bosses, and the levels are structured like Spiderman 3.
Korra I felt had more combo variety.

I do not think it is even worth renting even if you like the TMNT franchise. Watch the cutscenes on YT because the cutscenes are the best part.

I cannot even compliment the music because it is paused and giving me a headache...

Edit: Why the hell am I protecting a Pizza Stand?
Edit 2: Level 2 boss was easier than Level 1, wut?

Slaythe

Just did a few levels coop.

Honestly was fun.

We all knew how to play (being used to action games), didn't hesitate to spam shurikens on mobs and whatnot.

I guess reading all the bad impressions made my expectations really low ?

I saw many people complain about the bosses but we had no issue using the dodge and lock on to get through them.

And it was fun to parry them.

Maybe it gets really repetitive I guess ? I didn't play enough to tell.

jtrov

Just got done playing some 4 player co op sessions now that the online is working and it was fun as hell.

Such a shame that the level design and mission structure are not very special (why do the foot clan hate random pizza stands????). Because when you have a group of 2-4 Turtles popping off moves and dodging / jumping between enemies (especially the two early boss fights), it begins to feel like a really fun 3D beat'em up. I also get the impression that the Turtles abilities really differentiate once you level them up a bit. I got into a game with a level 20 Mikey and he was doing all kinds of crazy shit. I don't know, obviously it's still really early, but damn when I'm playing this multiplayer I'm having a great time. Was enjoying it single player too, but it feels less chaotic and easier to manage in the early goings with other people.

Also is it random that Bebop or Rocksteady show up mid way through fights? Failed one time and when we continued, the other never showed up. Seemed almost unfair with both since they sure love to toss hundreds of explosives lol.

Actually, it was made by Capcom Production Studio 4.

Viewtiful Joe is, like, retroactively a Clover Studio game. The GameCube version has no Clover logo at the start (Clover didn't exist yet) but the PS2 version does (it was the first game to, as far as I know).

I don't really know if it's entirely appropriate to totally lump Platinum and Clover together anyway, though. Only the earlier Platinum games share lots of game design and directorial credits with Clover's.

My whatever Platinum rankings would probably be something like:

Bayonetta
Vanquish
The Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2
Metal Gear Rising
Transformers: Devastation
Anarchy Reigns
The Legend of Korra
Madworld

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Shame the game wasn't worthy of the OT. Oh well, sounds like there's still something to be salvaged in there.

Slaythe

Shame the game wasn't worthy of the OT. Oh well, sounds like there's still something to be salvaged in there.

I think the price is far too high. As a 20 bucks game it'd be great really.

But if you intend to play it on COOP, it's fun once you get the hang of the gameplay.

You're supposed to play the hardest mode once you have leveled up turtles though or it's near impossible.

Famassu

Platinum has really gone down in my eyes with this mess.

30fps, I still can't believe it after transformers was a flawless 60.
As incredible as some of their games can be, they aren't miracle workers. This game is coming out barely half a year after Transformers Devastation. It's clear that this was rushed out the door and that is not Platinum's decision but purely Activision's. So I don't think it's too fair to blame Platinum of this, other than them being somewhat dumb to go into business with Activision in the first place, knowing their past of horribly exploiting independent developers (though they might not have had much choice if no one else was offering them work).

Yeah at 20 bucks this would be perfect, and itd be easier to get friends on board to play in multiplayer
Honestly $20 would be a perfect price.
It's pretty clearly built on co-op like Tri-Force Heroes. Game's AI is stupid. Had a mission where had to hack terminals to get info. Enemy was next to me, walks right by me, and goes after team off in distant; won by holding B.

Yeah I agree. I paid pretty much close to $20 so I'm golden with that but I wouldn't recommend this for $50 after going through 2 levels and seeing how they work.

Something I see that hasn't really been talked about is this charm stuff - it's sorta similar to the loot system in Transformers Devastation.

yo2ulcqh.png

The higher you go up in difficulty, the more you're allowed to equip. I can see these making survivability, especially on hetic bosses more of a easier time. They don't really explain them all that well in game though, especially the dismantling process. I lost a few good charms thinking I was breaking them down to give their traits to another charm - it's actually just trashing 3 to get one brand new random one.

The only actual way to upgrade them is to get materials monster hunter-style from enemies and bosses. (Which I guess adds to replayability..? Meh.)

Just finished it on Normal. Definitely better than Korra, definitely better than Out of the Shadows, about as good as High Moon's Deadpool game. Boss fights are a pain 'til you realize they take more damage while being rodeo'd. Wingnut is the worst of them all. Music is trash.

There really doesn't seem to be any heart or soul in the game like Devastation, almost like no one involved with the game(dev & pub) gave much of a fuck. The game is salvageable but I doubt Activision is gonna spend anymore money on it.

My personal Platinum rankings would be:

God Tier:
Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2
Metal Gear Rising
Bayonetta
Vanquish

God Tier on a Budget:
Transformers Devastation

They've Got Their Problems, But I Think They're Still Pretty Cool Tier:
Star Fox Zero
Anarchy Reigns
Legend of Korra
Madworld

Why Hast Thou Forsaken Us, Platinum? Tier:
TMNT

To be fair, I kind of feel like P* was between a rock and a hard place with this game. Co-op play is always going to be messy with a Platinum combat system, but nobody would have accepted a TMNT game without it. And you probably couldn't make a TMNT game where just one turtle went around beating dudes up; it's all four or nothing. But there just had to be a better way to do it than this. That mission design and those bosses are inexcusable. Like, I understand they must have been on a shoestring budget and a ludicrously short deadline, but TMNT's problem is in its basic design, not its lack of content.

Riposte

Played the first level in co-op (normal difficulty). The first boss fight actually reminded me of a MMO raid boss, with the way everyone was running about. It was kind of tough on Normal (particularly the rage stage), I imagine it gets really difficult on the higher difficulties; the health seems just a bit too high even with all four players wailing on him. The combat looks to be simpler in terms of sheer mechanics in comparison to Transformers, but I get the feeling it's putting more weight on co-op (I think even damage is balanced around co-op). I would go as far as to say this is designed from the ground up to be played in co-op; to play it in single player is probably missing the point.

Unfortunately I don't think it will have the playerbase to support it. It looks pretty under-populated even at launch. I'd blame the price (its definitely a budget-title), but it's not like Korra sold well either. Activision seems to have set the price with low sales in mind.

My fear with this game is that "it's the bad P* game" will become a meme that people will brainlessly adopt, probably without playing the game, and they will overlook what the game actually is. It's also going to be overshadowed by technical shortcomings, as this should clearly be able to run at 60 and could probably handle running split-screen on next-gen. I don't expect any enlightening discussion on the matter. People are already acting like this game was some sort of betrayal lol.

Like with Transformers and loot, a part of me wonders if the co-op here is a test-bed for future Platinum titles, namely Scalebound.

Something I see that hasn't really been talked about is this charm stuff - it's sorta similar to the loot system in Transformers Devastation.

Seems like less of a loot focus. Transformers seemed to have been balanced (or unbalanced?) around loot.

13thStep

Just finished it on Normal. Definitely better than Korra, definitely better than Out of the Shadows, about as good as High Moon's Deadpool game. Boss fights are a pain 'til you realize they take more damage while being rodeo'd. Wingnut is the worst of them all. Music is trash.

There really doesn't seem to be any heart or soul in the game like Devastation, almost like no one involved with the game(dev & pub) gave much of a fuck. The game is salvageable but I doubt Activision is gonna spend anymore money on it.

How do you do thst rodeo move on the bosses?

Labolas

Welp, finished the game. For what it was it's decent, but man the price doesn't justify the purchase. Moves and combos feel limited. And compared to the music of TF: Devastation, it's fucking forgettable. The game does pay tribute to the arcade beatemups particularly TMNT: TIT. From the bosses flashing red, the elevator ride to the "final boss", to
Super Shredder, who I didn't get to fight yet
. There's even a turtle soup line. I really like the turtles design in this. It's wayyy better than the Bay turtles design that's for sure. Speaking of turtles, personality-wise they seem to be a blend of almost every incarnation. The most prevalent being IDW look and style, which btw check that shit out, it's the best version of turtles imo. But I think they're bit more like 2003 version if I had to nail down. Seeing Karai being pretty bad ass was cool. Shredder was decent. IDW Shredder will forever be my favorite version of that character with 2003 Shred as a second.

What I didn't like as I said the moves and combos feel limited. I wished the environments were varied up a bit in terms of your objectives. They all felt a bit too samey and empty. There's a section in the game you going to manhole to manhole when little to nothing to do. Could use in-game setpieces to hide the game weaknesses a bit more. Wingnut is probably the most annoying and hardest boss to fight.

How do you to Super Shredder btw?

Overall, I can't say this is a bad game. I had some fun with it, but it is flawed as hell.

Top Bottom