• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan |OT| Heroes in a Bargain Bin

All these negative reactions for this is making me not even want to bother opening the Gamefly sleeve, and just putting it right back in the mailbox.

Dominator

I wasn't expecting a AAA game in any shape or form, but I was hoping this was at least comparable to Transformers. Instead it's more like Korra, just incredibly mediocre and not necessarily fun. I guess I should'nt be surprised as it seems like the Korra team did this one, but I think the difference is that game was $19.99 (I think, not sure if I remember 100%) and this is $49.99.

I usually don't care for value for content, but this one is just sticking out in my brain. $19.99 would have made this pill much easier to swallow.

Gave up on it after 2 missions. I can't explain why, but I found the gameplay really boring. It felt sloppy and very by the numbers, like a lesser version of the transformers engine. And I love old school brawlers, so it sucks that I just couldn't get into this.

Well, I just stopped playing it for the night. I got tired playing it from all of the tedium and boredom. It's such a derivative, boring, bland and uninteresting game.

I'm 5 missions in, solo, on easy. Can't wait to see the credits roll tomorrow and delete the hell out of it.

Those sewer missions go on and on and on, and suck ass.

Riposte

Well, I just stopped playing it for the night. I got tired playing it from all of the tedium and boredom. It's such a derivative, boring, bland and uninteresting game.

I'm 5 missions in, solo, on easy. Can't wait to see the credits roll tomorrow and delete the hell out of it.

Those sewer missions go on and on and on, and suck ass.

I get the feeling this is the worst way to play it. Ideally, you want full co-op and on a higher difficulty.

Although I'm not one to talk because I don't intend to put more time into it at the moment.

I get the feeling this is the worst way to play it. Ideally, you want full co-op and on a higher difficulty.

Although I'm not one to talk because I don't intend to put more time into it at the moment.

Probably, but I don't see how co-op would make it much better.

I'm more of a solo gamer and am downloading the next game I want to play while playing. I'll try co-op, but I'm okay solo.

Sanjuro

Probably, but I don't see how co-op would make it much better.

I'm more of a solo gamer and am downloading the next game I want to play while playing. I'll try co-op, but I'm okay solo.

It's drastically better. Having four players for a boss battle is fun. As described, feels like an MMO / hack and slash.

The level leading up to that boss is random and makes no sense.

Volcynika

Friend likes it even solo, and so I am playing multi with him and another person tonight. I have tempered expectations, but seeing more people say the game isn't so bad if you have a group rather than relying on the AI.

DryvBy

My brother gave me his opinion of the game with this simple and very effective statement: "I can't eat pizza to this.".

Really cool OT, I'm a turtles fan but this is looks like a bargain bin pick up in a few months. I don't have time for it now anyway, but I wish it was a better game.

Tigerfog

I think I'll hold back on that game as well. I don't recall the last time I spent a full 60$ on a brawler. Plus, in canadian dollars, the game costs 69.99$!!
I'm a fan of TMNT, but more into comics than games... so probably gonna grab it from the bargain bin as well.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
This game does have some replay value. I went back to play some earlier stages looking for item drops and the stages had new and different objectives vs the first time I played it. Like the subway stage had a new objective of protecting a pizza stand. It's the same ol enemies but that was new.

I decided to play the last 3 stages online last night/this morning with a group and it was sorta fun. The General Krang stage is
a boss rush stage
and it took over an hour to beat that. To those beating this game in 3 hours must be playing on baby mode.

PooBone

Fantastic OT. I wish the game were better. My rental copy should arrive from Gamefly today so when I finish Doom I'm gonna have myself a romp through a middling beat-em-up.

There's a lot of rough emptiness and scatter brained lack of focus to the overall design, but this game is fun as hell. This is the best and most fun it is to control, move and fight as the Ninja Turtles there's ever been, by light years. Bosses and enemies are great, this IWD version of the characters is excellent, music's kinda cool, and progression and unlock system for the different moves you can put on everyone... fighting with all 4 even if you're playing solo, and being able to switch around. It's all slick and just plain fun.

Lotta things that make it feel like a low budget, almost proof of concept game and this multiple semi-open level/worlds layout that has a bit too much down time could have been a lot better in just a single Hulk/Amazing Spiderman kinda tight open-world city... or in more straight forward stages... but there's definitely more to it than a few hours, with the skill/charm treadmill and difficulty levels. I'd also say it's about 5 or 6 hours myself, considering I've got 3 more levels and bosses to play... I played the first level last night, and started playing again today from level 2 about 3 hours ago. I'm on normal, maybe everything dies twice as quickly on easy.

I've gotta return the game later, but I'm definitely going to buy it when it's a lot cheaper. I wish it was more than it is, but eh... it is what it is.

KooopaKid

Banned
Just played the first level up to Beebop. I don't even want to continue playing. What's this? A button masher? Where's the deepness of the combat system? I don't see much combowise. Just switch between all 4 turtles to use their special powers until they refill again? What's up with the "mission design"? It's going to be random objectives after random objectives?
The characters control excelently at least as usual but what a mess :(

I think its okay. Not memorable but it works ingame.

According to the credits its the same composers as Transformers which is surprising to me.

I was honestly surprised to see Vince Dicola doing some of the soundtrack work after Transformers. Really cool.

Actually enjoyed just about every boss theme. The regular stage tunes were pretty ho-hum with some splashes of fun here.

Just played the first level up to Beebop. I don't even want to continue playing. What's this? A button masher? Where's the deepness of the combat system? I don't see much combowise. Just switch between all 4 turtles to use their special powers until they refill again? What's up with the "mission design"? It's going to be random objectives after random objectives?
The characters control excelently at least as usual but what a mess :(

It's pretty button mashy, but it gets more engaging when you're more encouraged to use the shell roll dodge/parry thing. I usually just play as one Turtle and play as the others only if my main got KO'd for awhile.

The mission design is weird... that's why it needs to make up it's mind whether it's doing an Amazing Spiderman thing or a level-based thing. I never know what my objective is or why 90% of the time. I definitely don't mind any and all reasons to be throwing myself at enemies doing whatever, but it's chaotic and random feeling with the way it powers up a boss access meter.

You'll probably still have fun if you play it even if it stays this way, but if it's really putting you off, I dunno.

84VgCIJ.gif

The Mega Krang level and boss is pretty crazy. One more to go vs Shredder, I guess.

Last level was almost as pointless as the vanilla Krang level, but Shredder himself was dope af as far as Shredders go. He's like Heihachi x Wolverine and quoting himself from the 1990 movie.

Damn, if this game had been linear like an OG beat 'em up, with focus restored to settings and pace but still hit you with mobs like this, it could have been GOAT.

Heroes in a Shit-Shell would be a good OT subtitle.

I beat the game this afternoon, and am glad to be done with it. I deleted it as soon as I finished it, and was elated when I did so. It's just not very fun, isn't well made and is a slog to play through.

I did try co-op once, but didn't like it much either. The game seemed to drastically lower my health when I hopped online, and I had chosen to play the Mega Krang level (as that's where I was in solo). It was the hardest level by far, because those robot suits were savages, even on easy.

What are you doing? Why are you comparing his to an arcade game?! It is structured nothing like an arcade game. The only common denominator between this and a beat em up arcade game are the turtles.

Cause it's similar in nature, it's not some open world game. It's a beat em up brawler with some level up stuff, bosses, etc. Not hard to put two and two together.

84VgCIJ.gif

The Mega Krang level and boss is pretty crazy. One more to go vs Shredder, I guess.

Last level was almost as pointless as the vanilla Krang level, but Shredder himself was dope af as far as Shredders go. He's like Heihachi x Wolverine and quoting himself from the 1990 movie.

Damn, if this game had been linear like an OG beat 'em up, with focus restored to settings and pace but still hit you with mobs like this, it could have been GOAT.

Yeah. That was a cool battle. I've put about 8 hours into the game now. The rock dudes take a beating, any ways to stop that or make them take more damage.

hlhbk

Seeing how the new game turned out to be total shit I have decided to go back and play some great TMNT games!

DlRb.png

ElRb.png

FlRb.png

GlRb.png

Lijik

I still cant figure out why they just didnt do that. Half of the game is in linear stages where the Madworld "Score points to unlock the Boss" format doesnt make sense anyways.

I think this game has a better enemy roster than Korra but you'd never know it because they're not used in interesting setups.

The rock dudes take a beating, any ways to stop that or make them take more damage.
They go down in no time flat if all of the turtles are focused on one. I mean thats true of everything but the difference between multiple turtles against a stone dude and just one is pretty substantial.
I also like using the homerun bat move to just knock them off rooftops when the situation arises.

bumpkin

I finished the game tonight and was a little confused about
the lack of fighting Super Shredder. What triggers it, exactly?
I tried replaying the last stage multiple times and the outcome never changed.

Cause it's similar in nature, it's not some open world game. It's a beat em up brawler with some level up stuff, bosses, etc. Not hard to put two and two together.
It's similar in nature but one was made a significantly long time ago with much more limited technology. This was made with modern technology by a development team known for games with great gameplay(which this doesn't have). It just seems silly to compare the two.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Too short, too repetitive, and just.... boring.....is what most people would say about these and the new game today.

You're right, damn millennials.
I finished the game tonight and was a little confused about
the lack of fighting Super Shredder. What triggers it, exactly?
I tried replaying the last stage multiple times and the outcome never changed.
super hard mode bud

Top Bottom