• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 - Lucky Chloe revealed

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Tekken is my favorite serious fighting game series. I love how it's always taken itself super serious.

180px-PJackT1.JPG

That already happened though.
But isn't Chloe the first new character reveal trailer though?

The first we've known about Chloe was from this trailer. She hasn't been hinted at before, not like that possible Arab fighter whose design was put up for community feedback.

I just think that if they had done the reveal trailer for him first, most of the negative reactions against Chloe would of been more muted.

I hate how criticism has changed from "I dont like because X" to "This is horrible and is ruining everything and shouldn't exist"

When you call that out too the only response you get "Its just criticizing" its not though, its not.

This design, I could do without the headphones and the jacket could have just ended as a jacket and not added the catpaws.

Broly

Banned
The shere amount of content present in Tekken games, all on disc or free DLC, has made me love Harada and the team over at Namco to an extent in which they can do no harm in my view.
As soon as I've figured out the 'bullshit' characters like Lars and Alisa and started to counter, parry and read their moves, it became a level playing field again.

MCD

I don't like her design but I don't see myself going after the devs to change or remove her. this whole thing is just plain silly.

Tekken is my favorite serious fighting game series. I love how it's always taken itself super serious.

180px-PJackT1.JPG

Thing is, Tekken started out not taking itself seriously at all. That's what made it so fun. Characters like Heihachi, Paul, Armor King, and Jack were supposed to be super tough, but they were so goofy and over-the-top that you couldn't help but laugh. Yoshi was weird as hell, yet he was also a badass in spite of it. Xiaoyu was cute and annoying, but that was restrained, it was part of her personality, and it fit in with her fighting style. The general tone of Tekken in the early titles was just irreverent and playing with convention. Dinosaurs and kangaroos and bears, who cares? Tekken Ball and and Tekken Bowl. Just silly shit that was fun.

But around Tekken 5 things changed. We started getting brooding emo characters who Namco designed as SERIOUS BUSINESS, like Lars and Dragonov. Or Marduk, who was some roided-out WWE brawler with no sense of playfulness and silliness at all. Everything suddenly became serious (and I'm not talking about online customization here), whether in Japanese or Western convention, and that's when things started going off the rails. When a soap opera takes itself seriously, it has a problem. Characters became conventional, tropey. Even characters like Chloe who are by design anti-serious, are designed to be cute and silly in a manufactured, superficial way. "Look at me, I'm so moe!" vs. "This character is so weird, I can't stop laughing".

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
But around Tekken 5 things changed. We started getting brooding emo characters who Namco designed as SERIOUS BUSINESS, like Lars and Dragonov. Or Marduk, who was some roided-out WWE brawler with no sense of playfulness and silliness at all. Everything suddenly became serious (and I'm not talking about online customization here), whether in Japanese or Western convention, and that's when things started going off the rails. When a soap opera takes itself seriously, it has a problem. Characters became conventional, tropey.
Every single Tekken character from the game's inception was tropey.

Every single Tekken character from the game's inception was tropey.

Well, some of them relied on tropes, I'll give you that, but they certainly weren't conventional (except Law and Lei), and they weren't designed to be 'serious'. You could tell the team was just having fun and designing stuff that would make them laugh.

suupabuu

Banned
I don't think there's anything wrong with her character design at all, I just think her in-game model (face and hair) needs some adjustments. Out of most of the fighting games today, Tekken has always produced some good character designs.

People who still think the complaint center around her "being too silly" or "out of place" need to actually try reading the thread.

Many people have already explained in great detail that it's not that at all.

These were hidden characters, unique and sometimes fun to play. They weren't in the standard roster or played any part of the storyline.

Okay. So you'd be okay with Lucky Chloe if she was an unlockable character, then? For someone who doesn't give a shit about the franchise you seem to value its storyline a lot.

Uthred

But around Tekken 5 things changed. We started getting brooding emo characters who Namco designed as SERIOUS BUSINESS, like Lars and Dragonov. Or Marduk, who was some roided-out WWE brawler with no sense of playfulness and silliness at all. Everything suddenly became serious (and I'm not talking about online customization here), whether in Japanese or Western convention, and that's when things started going off the rails. When a soap opera takes itself seriously, it has a problem. Characters became conventional, tropey. Even characters like Chloe who are by design anti-serious, are designed to be cute and silly in a manufactured, superficial way. "Look at me, I'm so moe!" vs. "This character is so weird, I can't stop laughing".

Guess I just imagined Jin existing from 3 on then, and I mean Kazuya never brooded, no siree, you know if you have to make up shit to support your point maybe it isnt such a great point after all? Are people simply too self conscious and insecure to admit they simply dont like Chloe without constructing "ITS ALL CHANGED!" bullshit out of whole cloth?

NeOak

25 pages? What's the deal?

ITT: People whining about a character.

Thanks to all of those who didn't like her.

Harada-san should actually include a list of people in the game in a special "New Stereotypical 'MURICAH character inspired by" and list all the whiners there.

Kieli

Basically people don't know how to have fun in video games and the new character needed to be a white male space marine with a shaved head to be acceptable

Or maybe I just think her design is stupid as fuck.

I'm allowed to have an opinion, right?

If he wants to include her in the game, whatever. Doesn't bother me.

I don't like her design but I don't see myself going after the devs to change or remove her. this whole thing is just plain silly.

As far as I can tell, nobody campaigned to have her removed. They voiced their opinions in this thread, as they have every right to do, and the director threw a hissy fit about it. Anybody disappointed by this series of events has a problem with the director, not the detractors.

you can't blame disappointed fans for sharing their opinion on a character design.

Sure I can, if they don't do it with some tact and acknowledge that poison to one may be pleasure to another. There are plenty of things I find weird or yucky, but I will still defend the rights of others to enjoy them. You know, to each his own and all that.

For the record, the design isn't all that appealing to me, but hey; whatever floats the collective boat. I'm fine with it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
You know you did put yourself to a corner with that comment right? Because you're open to a "and how many are a bunch of muscular strong men" response.

This is what I mean by people not simply admitting that they don't like the character period, without the need to dig themselves because they'll end up in a hole due to attempts at rationalizing.

I'm not talking about the male portion of the cast here. They have their own problems. I don't like Lucky Chloe, but that doesn't mean I want a dude in her place, I just think that the female roster has much more room for expansion in directions other than where Lucky Chloe takes it.

Uthred

Sure I can, if they don't do it with some tact and acknowledge that poison to one may be pleasure to another. There are plenty of things I find weird or yucky, but I will still defend the rights of others to enjoy them. You know, to each his own and all that.

For the record, the design isn't all that appealing to me, but hey; whatever floats the collective boat. I'm fine with it.

Exactly, theres giving an honest opinion on something and then theres acting like a petulant child spewing out shit

She's a video game character, I don't know why we need to walk on egg shells about it. The majority of the hate for her was just people saying they don't like her or the direction Tekken has been going. It's been fairly tame from what I've seen and been a part of. When Harada was emo last night this thread wasn't out of control or anything. I honestly don't know what you guys are talking about here, acting like there is this HUGE outrage and everyone who doesn't like her is going ape shit and demanding more bald men characters. Seems like a strawman to me.

Axass

After a robotic soldier, two robotic soldiers, a robotic ninja, a robotic robot, a panda, a bear, a kangaroo, a dinosaur, two dinosaurs, a breakdancing handicapped doctor, a vampire, an angel, a devil, a demon, two demons, several demons, a bunch of walking wood chunks...

...that's where Tekken fans draw the line? A catgirl?

o_O

Top Bottom