• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 - Lucky Chloe revealed

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lol, so much salt

I don't like Marie Rose in DOA but I can safely ignore her outside of online
and the computer picking her in versus
. You can do the same here.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Well, I think Asuka's confirmed (I swear I saw a screenshot of her in action), and Nina's all but confirmed (it wouldn't be a Tekken game without her), so I'm good.

I do look forward to trying Chloe once, though.

wildfire

Banned
Please save us from this trash Hatsune-san.
mikubanner.jpg

Only characters on the chopping block are basically repeat/brought back for fanservice rather than serving any real purpose.

People like Nina and Anna are easily coming back, its characters like Jinpachi, P. Jack, Michelle/Jaycee/Julia, Ogre and what not that are likely to get the axe.

Degen

This game seems something like 10 years late.
omg

Tekken is trying to become one of those PS1-era fighters that nobody remembers

it all makes sense now

I typed "all they need now is" and I couldn't even finish the statement

holy shit

A-V-B

Tekken is fucking ruined. I don't play these games much so my opinion doesn't matter, but I'll tell you anyway - the series is fucking done. It's over. Namco should just trash Tekken because it was never his wacky or off-beat.

Sure, robotic german men, a dinosaur/kangaroo combo and a space ninja are wacky, but there are levels, people, levels. What's next? A fucking panda bear becoming a playable warrior? An old man that farts? A fucking mini-T Rex?

I hope not. That'd mean my super serious limb fighter that I barely play is turning into something too wacky. And that'd mark the end of fighting games.

/s

But seriously though, Tekken was always lovably insane.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Just saw this right now. Harada's love for iDOLM@STER is showing. :D

He should've made her in the likeness of one of those characters, preferably Iori or Miki.

Regardless, I'm so RE@DY!

I don't mind adding all sorts of character styles into games so I'm fine with her, though I understand some dislike it for the seemingly pandering factor. Something about her puts me really off though :/ I like the cat earphones, her jacket and the tail and her moveset looks fun to play but the ballet style outfit I don't like along with her face. I can't really tell why I don't like the face but something just feels wrong about it, just like Hitomi's face in DoA5

I still will try to play her though since she seems to play a little like Lilli who is one of my mains next to Law :p

Only characters on the chopping block are basically repeat/brought back for fanservice rather than serving any real purpose.

People like Nina and Anna are easily coming back, its characters like Jinpachi, P. Jack, Michelle/Jaycee/Julia, Ogre and what not that are likely to get the axe.
They can't get rid of Julia Chang. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to go with Jaycee.

I don't understand this. Tekken isn't doing well and to attract more people. While this will work great for Japan and Korea with all their jpop/idolmaster what have you fetish, This doesn't do it for us. Getting back to the top you need everybody's excitement. The masses will never like this and that's not good.

Really poor decision making and maybe selfish when I heard Harada likes idolmaster bullshit. Where Tekken is going saddens me. I mean the graphics, the mechanics, the music and the vibe it's all there and that is what makes it for me but for every new Tekken the most important part are the new and returning characters. If you don't deliver (like Katarina, Claudio, Lucky Chloe, Alisa, Lars) you won't attract the masses.

This is just my point of view about all this.
3D fighters in general aren't doing too well like they did 10 years ago. Everyone is into 2D fighters now, or technically 2.5D.

Xiaoyu is not a schoolgirl though. Atleast not anymore. And with luck, Sakura won't be either in SF5
She'll always be a school girl as long as they keep giving her the school outfit as an alt.

I don't mind adding all sorts of character styles into games so I'm fine with her, though I understand some dislike it for the seemingly pandering factor. Something about her puts me really off though :/ I like the cat earphones, her jacket and the tail and her moveset looks fun to play but the ballet style outfit I don't like along with her face. I can't really tell why I don't like the face but something just feels wrong about it, just like Hitomi's face in DoA5

I still will try to play her though since she seems to play a little like Lilli who is one of my mains next to Law :p

Well you have to remember, the art style change from DoA 4 (2 and 3 were the same as well) to 5 was drastic and some characters I swear they spent more time on, like Kasumi for example. Meanwhile Hitomi, my favorite character, got some what of almost brand new face to be honest and its really jarring. They tried to make it more realistic and less "anime" in DoA 5. I totally get what you mean about Lucky though something is off about her face too, much like some DoA characters.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Tekken is fucking ruined. I don't play these games much so my opinion doesn't matter, but I'll tell you anyway - the series is fucking done. It's over. Namco should just trash Tekken because it was never his wacky or off-beat.

Sure, robotic german men, a dinosaur/kangaroo combo and a space ninja are wacky, but there are levels, people, levels. What's next? A fucking panda bear becoming a playable warrior? An old man that farts? A fucking mini-T Rex?

I hope not. That'd mean my super serious limb fighter that I barely play is turning into something too wacky. And that'd mark the end of fighting games.

/s

I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here, but there's a difference between adding a bear with a joke move and adding a girl so obviously designed to move merch that it feels like parody. It would be less jarring if we had characters like this since day one, but this type of character design didn't really start happening until 6BR.

Shredderi

Lol not feeling this at all. I hate the anime trope characters in tekken, but love them in games like guilty gear etc. Just don't want these kind of characters in tekken.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This game had a living block of wood and you guys are bitching about Chloe, you know how batshit you sound?

Block of wood is goofy, but it didn't come off as blatant pandering to a particular demographic.

Also, Mokujin doesn't have an annoying voice, so there's that. And a training dummy come to life as a playable fighter is a bit of a creative idea. I've seen "Lucky Chloe" time and time and time and time again. Sure, Tekken is full of 'expy' characters, but very few are as outlandish as this. She looks like she was ripped wholesale from another game entirely, without any sort of design changes to fit in with Tekken.

A-V-B

This game had a living block of wood and you guys are bitching about Chloe, you know how batshit you sound?

A block of wood beating the hell out of Bruce Lee with his own style sounds hilarious to me.

Moeblob, on the other hand, does not sound like an invitation to be entertained.

Momentary

Banned
People complaining about this new character must not realize that there have been midget dinosaurs, kangaroos, raptors, robots, wooden dummies, angels, demons, and gods in the mix. There was a guy with a mouth on his stomach for crying out loud.

People complaining about this new girl are just not thinking, I believe.

ShinMaruku

I think if they added the block of wood now instead of years earlier people would have bitched too. To be honest.

But Teken was always anime as fuck when you find Asuka's first meeting of Jin his head bounces into her boobies.
They are cousins, this is some Habpsburg shit
Then you have a fucking bear that farts and shit and dinosaurs and the morning star and all this shit. But they add something you find uncomfortable and say "It don't fit in Tekken" Please, just say you don't like the bitch. Don't say she does not fit in Tekken. Don't say she ruins the game. Because that's just making me laugh.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
People complaining about this new character must not realize that there have been midget dinosaurs, kangaroos, raptors, robots, wooden dummies, angels, demons, and gods in the mix. There was a guy with a mouth on his stomach for crying out loud.

People complaining about this new girl are just not thinking, I believe.

There is a difference between creatively silly and clearly-there-to-sell-the-game-to-otakus pandering. Chloe sits on one side of the fence, far apart from the others. Saying that the game has had silly/unbelievable characters in the past is no excuse, 'cause that's really not the issue here.

Well you have to remember, the art style change from DoA 4 (2 and 3 were the same as well) to 5 was drastic and some characters I swear they spent more time on, like Kasumi for example. Meanwhile Hitomi, my favorite character, got some what of almost brand new face to be honest and its really jarring. They tried to make it more realistic and less "anime" in DoA 5. I totally get what you mean about Lucky though something is off about her face too, much like some DoA characters.

Oh yeah you are right the art-style change undoubtedly has something to do with it in Hitomi's face being the way it is now and now that you say it I can definitely believe that they must have spend more time with staple characters which makes sense but eh... As a anime fan I don't even mind DoA5's artstyle much, (my issues are more with the music, use of color and stage design) but I'm glad I'm not the only one who seems to have issues with some faces in DoA and now Lucky in Tekken. Jarring is quite the right word for it and I can imagine it must be irritating to have your favorite character affected by it :/

Hopefully they will still change Lucky a bit as her face looks good in the design concept but as said I find it funny that I can't even pinpoint what's wrong in the 3D version of her. I almost feel like they try to mimic a specific face-style for these characters that translates badly to 3D models which is weird too as Tekken and DoA usually managed to get all kinds of ethnicity's "right", but I guess in general it might be just my personal preference in faces in the end.

Mik317

Its one character guys.

The Otaku crowd can at least get that no? People act like this group should never receive anything. "omg otaku pandering via ONE CHARACTER in my game of choice? HOW DARE THEY".

Tekken's cast is diverse as fuck...this is just an addition to that diversity even if you aren't a fan of it.

I could see the argument of the game was chick full of stuff like this but I doubt it will.

You guys should see how selfish you sound right now...

"oh they can add these characters but not this one because I don't like it".

If they can add a fucking Fighting Raptor, then they can add a MoeCatGirl Idol.

wmlk

There is a difference between creatively silly and clearly-there-to-sell-the-game-to-otakus pandering. Chloe sits on one side of the fence, far apart from the others. Saying that the game has had silly/unbelievable characters in the past is no excuse, 'cause that's really not the issue here.

OK, so this one character means that they're selling the game to otakus? What the heck?

ShinMaruku

Nah man you guys are sounding like little bitches now. "We lost our game" You sound like those old fuckers who want their country back.

Binabik15

The cat stuff is meh.

But I cannot lie, that super revealing black skirt/dress thing makes me wish my city had a goth or metal scene. Because girls in frilly and skin tight black stuff, hngggh.

PS: The muscular cheetah (?) woman was the best female in Bloody Roar.

Pizza

Damnit I'm actually really excited for this character! She looks rad and weirdly Japanese-cute and will stick out from the roster

Eliza, Alisa, Miharu, Jaycee, Lili, Leo...

But let's keep pretending Lucky is the only female character meant to pander to a specific audience.

Its one character guys.

The Otaku crowd can at least get that no? People act like this group should never receive anything. "omg otaku pandering via ONE CHARACTER in my game of choice? HOW DARE THEY".

Tekken's cast is diverse as fuck...this is just an addition to that diversity even if you aren't a fan of it.

I could see the argument of the game was chick full of stuff like this but I doubt it will.

You guys should see how selfish you sound right now...

"oh they can add these characters but not this one because I don't like it".

If they can add a fucking Fighting Raptor, then they can add a MoeCatGirl Idol.

OK, so this one character means that they're selling the game to otakus? What the heck?

And I have to agree here too, I can understand when people don't like games like DoA (and I say that as a DoA and Tekken fan) because of how the games and characters are often presented but one character that "panders" out of how many is suddenly so bad? People don't even have to play her, sure they will eventually play against her I guess but that's no different than playing against other characters you may not like, like in my case Eddy and Christy :p

The only analogy I can come up with now how the whole thing sounds is:

Person A: "I don't like tomatoes and now my favorite restaurant has a tomato sandwich on the menu Now I won't eat there anymore!"

Person B: "So? You don't have to eat it you know..."

Person A: "But I have to see how others eat tomatoes... that's unacceptable!"

Person B: "..."

:p

And fake edit: Okay so maybe there are more than one character that panders but is it really that bad when other, established characters don't get modified for pandering and we also get "normal" new characters like the assassin like guy teased before?

Uthred

Not a fan, but she doesnt seem particularly out of place or objectionable compared to the rest of the roster. Looks like she plays a bit like Lili

Do you honestly think that someone (the "otaku" in this case) is going to see this one character and pick up the game because of it? Do you think thats Namco's goal in including her? It boggles my mind that someone would honestly answer yes to either of those questions. Its not as if theres a dearth of fighting games with "moe" female characters in them. It's also not like she's a particular departure from the current cast.

Jeels

Hope they can fix that hair clipping.

The game is looking pretty good. I am happy they are adding creative new characters.

ShinMaruku

Eliza, Alisa, Miharu, Jaycee, Lili, Leo...

But let's keep pretending Lucky is the only female character meant to pander to a specific audience.

I think a bunch of their characters are pandering, but it;'s the net diversity of the cast that makes it great.

They are just being bitches, I wonder when they'll find out how silly they sound.

They can't get rid of Julia Chang. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to go with Jaycee.

Yeah I mean 2 of the three. Julia and Jaycee are the same person, but different characters fighting wise. Its a weird position cause I think as much as people like Julia... Jaycee kinda turned out to be a fun character and I would hate to see her go.

Top Bottom